May 16th, 2008

Edwards flatly rules out running with Obama

An Obama-Edwards ticket 'wont' happen.'
An Obama-Edwards ticket 'wont' happen.'

(CNN) - Seeing John Edwards and Barack Obama on the same stage earlier this week left political pundits buzzing: Could these two be an unbeatable presidential ticket?

They appeared to have natural chemistry - something Edwards and then-Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry seemed to lack in 2004 - and the former North Carolina senator remains popular among a key demographic that has been reluctant to support Obama - working class white voters.

But Edwards flatly said Friday, as he had before he endorsed a candidate, that he's not interested in making a second run for vice president.

"No," Edwards said in no uncertain terms on NBC's the Today show when asked about the possibility. "Won't happen.…It's just not something I am interested in."

As for another position in an Obama administration, specifically Attorney General, Edwards was decidedly more coy.

"I don't really want to get involved in that speculation," he said. "Right now we have to focus on getting Barack Obama elected to President of the United States, then we’ll worry about those things."

Edwards formally endorsed Obama Wednesday evening, the day after Clinton scored a 41 point victory over the Illinois senator in West Virginia. Edwards also said Friday the timing of his announcement was not specifically designed by the Obama campaign to direct the media coverage away from the New York senator's win.

"That's not true," he said. "I know it's not true because I am the one who made the decision about when to do this. I believe this was the right time to do it. I made a decision that the public should know at this point my view."

1. The Truth

Whatever position Mr. Edwards decides to accept in Obamas administration will be more than welcomed. Thank you Mr. Edwards for choosing the best candidate for the American people.

OBAMA: THE NEXT PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES!!!!!!!!!

May 16, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  2. RON

edwards said earlier this year that he would not run as a VP.... so people stop acting like you are shocked...

OBAMA 08

May 16, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  3. Richard, CA

I don't think Obama would benefit much from Edwards as his vp, so this is a good thing. Obama will likely choose his running mate based on:

1. who would help win the rural (uneducated and uninformed) vote for November.

2. who has a good amount of foreign policy experience to help fend off Rebublican attacks on the matter.

Clinton is not going to be on the ticket either, because she would eliminate the "change in Washington" his campaign was built on. She would also drive away many independent voters.

I also don't see Richardson on the ticket either, because, as sad as it is to say, that would be too much "ethnic" for 1 ticket (believe it or not, the U.S. is still very racist).

A women vp is possible, but if so, she would likely be from a southern state and white (required for the rural vote).

May 16, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  4. marlyt51

Hey Truth!
    You never wanted Obama anyway.Go ahead and vote Repub,They need the votes.
    Obama 08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 16, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  5. Helen

No not Edwards...but hopefully President Obama will find another spot for him. Maybe in improving FEMA.

Obama/? 08"

Not Hillary either.

May 16, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  6. chc4

An unbeatable ticket? Are you serious? Obama will not win in November regardless of who he chooses as his running mate barring a major collapse by McCain. Obama is sooo far left and will have some more major headaches come up (ala Rev. Wright). I can't wait to see what the media comes up w/ for an excuse when he loses!! They've shoved him down our throats for so long... its nauseating.

May 16, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  7. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

THE TRUTH – you are a true anal cavity. Get off the negative crap. All of you babies get off the negative crap.

May 16, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  8. Margaret

Smart Man. He is only looking to 2012 to re-run. He know Obama will lose the general election. So does Hillary. You'll see.

May 16, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  9. F C Sanders Sr

You know its really sad that you have people like the truth, who I guess doesn't want to use his real name, to make such insensitve remarks about another person. That's part of the problem here why can't we repectfully disagree about who we want to be President without being disrespectful. If you don't like Obama fine vote for Sen. Clinton, Sen McCain or nobody but show some respect for another person.

May 16, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  10. fred

GO HILLARY!!

IF NOT HILLARY....THEN MCCAIN!!

May 16, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  11. dwho

Thanks to Edwards for saying that. Most people have been thinking that Edwards' endorsement was for VP. I strongly believe he did it for the unity of the party. Had Hillary won NC and Ind, he would have done the same for her. Edwards is a discreet person of character. He knows who the American people want and what is needed now to make a difference. After a long time of fault-finding political bickering on the Hill, Edwards knows it time to make a change. Go Edwards man of honest characters.

May 16, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  12. Max

It's really sad, they would have been a really good team. I think, however, that Obama should try to get a more conservative running mate, that way, he could reach out to republican voters, who, I believe, could vote for Obama if he puts more conservative democrats in his team.

May 16, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  13. thegoreyears

"Go Hillary…if not Hillary….then McCain."

Once a Republican, always a Republican.

May 16, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  14. Bob (Maryland)

Obama should establish a new Cabinet-level Department for reducing poverty in America, and designate John Edwards as its Secretary.

May 16, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  15. Susan Cusson, Mohave Valley, Arizona 86440

I had very high hopes for a National Health Care Plan that would be for all. I think Hillary is correct. It is the only way to go. Think what shape the elderly would be in if they did not have Social Security. Heath Care is a very social issue. I am a RN who has seen too much and I know the truth out here. I support Hillary not Obama. I quess my one important vote will be cast for John McCain. That doesn't make me happy either, but I love my country, my party second. God Bless the USA. We are in real trouble.I don't vote for rock stars.

May 16, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  16. CW4Barak

Personally I don't think this would be an awesome ticket....however, I think Sen. Obama will need someone with some foreign policy/military exp. to offset whatever McBush is coming with, because he CANNOT beat Sen. Obama on the economic issues.

Obama '08

May 16, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  17. Mike in PA

Too bad, the two would be a great team.

May 16, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  18. Rev TJ Conwell

Come on, he couldn't even debate Cheney. John Edwards for VP ... what a joke.

May 16, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  19. Robert NYC & Miami

The timing of the endorsement of Obama from Edwards, was executed precisely, to knock Hillary Clinton's West Virginia Landslide off our television screens.

Obama claims he is a different politician. To me that move was POLITICS AS USUAL. HE (OBAMA) IS A FAKE.

May 16, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  20. Margaret

Smart Man. He is only looking to 2012 to re-run. He knows Obama will lose the general election. So does Hillary. You'll see.

May 16, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  21. ardile

Watch Bill Clinton jump on the Obama '08 Next ... remember, u read it here 1st!!

Go Obama!!!!! Go!!!

Once Bill endorses Barak, Chelsea will follow, and then ultimately, Hillary SHALL fall in line.

You can doi Hillary, YES you can endorse Barak!!!

May 16, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  22. Chris, Middletown, CT

Its funny...the Edwards of the world – jump up and down at the high cost of healthcare...yet fail to mention that the 100+ million dollars he has acquired are from suing the same insurance companies (where does he think the money comes from....??)

I'm happy he endorsed Obama – Obama just needs to be careful with his VP choice....the Governor of Kansas is the right choice – she actually has "experience" that didn't come from her husband

May 16, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  23. jenny

For those of you who will vote for McCain if Hillary doesn't win the nomination, I have one word for you. Stupid.

May 16, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  24. Obama Edwards 08

I do hope he changes his mind. This is a winning ticket in ANY order!

May 16, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  25. sue

Probably for the best. However, if it's Hillary, we would have her and Bill running the White House and Barrack would have to cover for their shenigans constantly. It is beyond me how anyone can claim to love and scream over Bill Clinton, when he is a liar and a cheater. It seems the country just doesn't care anymore who their leaders are. If they look good, sound good, then they must be good. Right??

May 16, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |