May 16th, 2008

Edwards flatly rules out running with Obama

An Obama-Edwards ticket 'wont' happen.'
An Obama-Edwards ticket 'wont' happen.'

(CNN) - Seeing John Edwards and Barack Obama on the same stage earlier this week left political pundits buzzing: Could these two be an unbeatable presidential ticket?

They appeared to have natural chemistry - something Edwards and then-Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry seemed to lack in 2004 - and the former North Carolina senator remains popular among a key demographic that has been reluctant to support Obama - working class white voters.

But Edwards flatly said Friday, as he had before he endorsed a candidate, that he's not interested in making a second run for vice president.

"No," Edwards said in no uncertain terms on NBC's the Today show when asked about the possibility. "Won't happen.…It's just not something I am interested in."

As for another position in an Obama administration, specifically Attorney General, Edwards was decidedly more coy.

"I don't really want to get involved in that speculation," he said. "Right now we have to focus on getting Barack Obama elected to President of the United States, then we’ll worry about those things."

Edwards formally endorsed Obama Wednesday evening, the day after Clinton scored a 41 point victory over the Illinois senator in West Virginia. Edwards also said Friday the timing of his announcement was not specifically designed by the Obama campaign to direct the media coverage away from the New York senator's win.

"That's not true," he said. "I know it's not true because I am the one who made the decision about when to do this. I believe this was the right time to do it. I made a decision that the public should know at this point my view."

1. Michael

Sad to hear because it would have made an excellent ticket.

Yes We Can in 2008

May 16, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  2. Linda

My goodness people, dare I say. Obama has earned the right to choose his own running mate.

May 16, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  3. tidho

Attourny General or Secretary of Labor is the way to go for him.

Ordinarily that isn't discussed during the election much but this year I think committing to his involvement will help unify the party. He's a very popular guy nationally.

I still think Mark Warner is the choice for VP.

May 16, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  4. SaveTheDramaFoObamasMama

Edwards wants no part of getting beaten soundly come November. Edwards knows Obama can never beat McCain.

Hillary can.

May 16, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  5. Independent in Florida

I'm one Obama supporter who says it is time to bring Hillary on board.
    Larry Buchas
    __________
    Larry,

Are you sure it would work?
    Had she not go hysterical over the so called ‘elitist’ remark, or claimed that McCain would be the only other qualified presidential choice and, a number of other mindless attacks .. I would agree.

May 16, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  6. Good

Larry,

Good for you Larry! I think most Hillary Supporters would welcome her as VP. Maybe it would stop her supporters from going to McCain. My husband and I would be two of them.
    Together they could do a lot.

May 16, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  7. Rich

kinda glad he didn't. But already you got Hillary, I mean McCain supporters hopping on the boards to tell us that Obama isn't fit to be president. I guess they voted for Bush twice.

How about Obama or Hillary '08. Cause I'm pretty sure a president can only run twice not three.

May 16, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  8. jBiden in DE

He can make a lot more money as a slimey trial lawyer than as Veep.

May 16, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  9. Dem 4 Obama

Either Hillary or McCain??? What is wrong with you people. Last time I checked, Hillary wants our troops out of Iraq and McCain wants them to stay. Some of you Hillary supports makes no sense.

Obama 08

May 16, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  10. Lilly

Obama '08

The ONLY one who can Beat McCain in November !

May 16, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  11. A New Mexican

Even though righ now, I don't like Hillary too much I think she would be a good VP candidate or have some position in Obama's cabinet. I also think that Kathleen Sebelius, Richardson and Biden should be in Obama's cabinet. Edwards as AG sounds like a great idea. I If things come together like it looks like they are, I think that as a country we will be heading in the right direction.

May 16, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  12. Craig

Funny how alot of racist whites hide behind the "Thruth" vote for McCain if you want to. Its not the person who holds the office its the policies of the party that affects the country. So, to all you democrats who are afraid of having a black man in the white house, go ahead and vote republican. Its not up to us anymore anyway. The Chinese are already in control. McCain would just speed up the inevitable.

May 16, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  13. Enlightened Voter

I don't mind, I thank him for his support however I would prefer Richardson as VP. However I would like Edwards in the White House in some capacity. Actually almost anyone but Clinton, I would like to see Obama live out his term.

May 16, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  14. Susan Cusson, Mohave Valley, Arizona 86440

Please– I am white and don't appreciate interesing racial slurs. Even that is low.

May 16, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  15. Elisabeth

So, the timing of Edward announcement was designed by himself to direct the media coverage away from the New York senator's win! I am sure this empty pot will regret. Time will show.

May 16, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  16. Von Bismark VIENNA

AN EXAMPLE OF A SELFLESS UNITER!

May 16, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  17. Don Williams

I am opposed that Edwards would back Obama. I am Democrat and fully back HILLARY CLINTON . She was in the white house for 8 years and our economy was good then and it can be again. I don't feel that Obama has the back bone to run America. And if you like the Gas PRICES then vote for Mr McCain because he is nothing but another MR. Bush. America needs GOD put back in it. I feel sorry for those who leave our savior out for someday you will pay. YOU GOD HILLARY. You are the BEST.

May 16, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  18. Randy M

HEY FRED: How in the world do you Clinton supporters justify saying "Hillary or McCain"? The 2 are exact opposites on virtually every issue that confronts us. Do you really love her more than your country? Would you do something so stupid and against your moral values just to spite the DNC? It is just shameful what I see written in these comments.

Before you pull that lever for McCain in November, just think back to the last 8 years. Do you really want to do that to our nation? Remember, be an American first and a party member second. I hope you ALL consider this before you make a mistake that YOU WILL regret!!

May 16, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  19. Greg Pa

It dose not mater who he picks .Obama is way to far left to win. When will you get it.

Adam C pointed out Obama should take a vp who is a war hero and has foreign policy experience. So you do recognize that Obama is completely lacking in those areas.

May 16, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  20. faye, NV

That sounds nice Obama/Edwards. Mr. Edwards would and could be a strong VP.

May 16, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  21. Walter

It would be great to see Edwards as AG.

Maybe he would prosecute the Bushies for their various war crimes.

May 16, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  22. Shoshiru Honda

I'm disappointed Edwards doesn't want the VP job. He'd be a natural.

I just hope it doesn't turn out to be that the VP is Clinton. She's truely hated by so many, that her on the ticket as VP will blow Obama's chances away.

May 16, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  23. Jim from Chicago

Edwards is not VP material, because he doesn't have the personality of being able to do the attack politics.

I'm not a Clinton fan for VP, but we need to find someone who appeals to the same sort of voters, maybe the governor from KS.

May 16, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  24. jimmy

Darn, I was hoping he would bring Obama boy bad luck like he did Kerry. Barbara – you sound more like a 20 year old spoiled Obamabutt. I'm surprised – really, you are just a red neck old hag.

May 16, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  25. REpublican for Hillary

So John Edwards will be the next Attorney General IF Obama wins the election. We still could have a convention where the Supers decide Hillary is more likely to win in November. Obama will never win the General Election. He is already whining about the Republicans taking jabs at him. His wife was criticized in Nashville. It's coming, the Democratic Party is so self destructive. Hillary should be the choice and in November if she is not, let's all welcome McCain and four more disruptive years. WAKE UP SUPERDELEGATES!

May 16, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |