May 16th, 2008

Edwards flatly rules out running with Obama

An Obama-Edwards ticket 'wont' happen.'
An Obama-Edwards ticket 'wont' happen.'

(CNN) - Seeing John Edwards and Barack Obama on the same stage earlier this week left political pundits buzzing: Could these two be an unbeatable presidential ticket?

They appeared to have natural chemistry - something Edwards and then-Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry seemed to lack in 2004 - and the former North Carolina senator remains popular among a key demographic that has been reluctant to support Obama - working class white voters.

But Edwards flatly said Friday, as he had before he endorsed a candidate, that he's not interested in making a second run for vice president.

"No," Edwards said in no uncertain terms on NBC's the Today show when asked about the possibility. "Won't happen.…It's just not something I am interested in."

As for another position in an Obama administration, specifically Attorney General, Edwards was decidedly more coy.

"I don't really want to get involved in that speculation," he said. "Right now we have to focus on getting Barack Obama elected to President of the United States, then we’ll worry about those things."

Edwards formally endorsed Obama Wednesday evening, the day after Clinton scored a 41 point victory over the Illinois senator in West Virginia. Edwards also said Friday the timing of his announcement was not specifically designed by the Obama campaign to direct the media coverage away from the New York senator's win.

"That's not true," he said. "I know it's not true because I am the one who made the decision about when to do this. I believe this was the right time to do it. I made a decision that the public should know at this point my view."

1. Brad from SC

I'm not giving up hope!

OBAMA/EDWARDS '08

May 16, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  2. kay, NM

He could not deliver a single state in 2004, even his home state! He does not want to take the same blame again. On the top of that, he is almost certain that Obama is not winning in November.

May 16, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  3. leon

Obama supporters keep trashing Hillary and her supporters. Wway to go to divide the party

May 16, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  4. Susan Cusson, Mohave Valley, Arizona 86440

People who support Hillary or any candidate for that fact are not STUPID, they are just making a choice, which is their right. I don't call that STUPID.

May 16, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  5. Phong Nguyen

Of course S. Edwards wanted S. Clinton to shut down her campaign ASAP!!! But that is not fair to any presidential candidate in a 50-50 contest!!! Let the process work its way to the end!!! The Democrats need to unite agaisnt the Republicans in the fall and the Dream Ticket is the way to do it!!!

May 16, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  6. joseph pierre

Fred,
    Can't you guys lose gracefully?
    The HRC campaign was flawed from the outset and has been outwitted, out-hustled, and out-fund-raised.In fact, the Obama campaign has been brilliant and is winning FAIR AND SQUARE.Deal with it!

May 16, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  7. Mike

Just as well really. Edwards never quite understood that at least sometimes, you've got to be the "hit man" when you are running for VP, not just the "hair guy." Cheney of course understood this completely and has little hair to worry about anyway.
    Beyond that, despite Edward's denial, the timing of this thing does have a smell to it.

May 16, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  8. Will from Gaithersburg

As an Obama supporter who has been very critical of Sen. Clinton's campaign style over the past year of the Dem primary, she is now starting to realize her chances of winning the nomination are against her. As such, her tone has shifted toward unifying the party and not tearing down Sen. Obama. The more this continues the more open I am to the idea of having Sen. Clinton as VP; although I still need to be convinced a bit more.

Obama/Clinton 08?

May 16, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  9. QB

John Edwards would be a good VP choice. John Edwards is decent politician, very likable.

May 16, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  10. The Truth

Democrats, let's unite!!!!!

Obama/Hillary '08

11. Phil From VA

Obama will make up his mind when he is the nominee. Now, let's focus on standing up to Bush/McSame tactics. Dirty tactics using foreign soil to launch attacks. Bush is a disgrace to this counrty.

12. former billary supporter

its now officially over.

hillary has put up a good fight, but im switching my vote over to obama. it is time to unite the party, not divide it.

with the support of women from hillary, youth and african-americans from obama, and the working white from edwards, the democratic party will capture the presidency.

it is know time for the whole party to follow suit of Edwards and back Obama. to win the white house, it is neccessary.

end post.

13. fred

I am sure Obama will choose Osama as his running mate...perfect match!!

14. Oregon

It's okay that Edwards doesn't want to run for VP – I agree he'd be better as Attorney General or Secretary of Labor. Imagine President Barack Obama, with a talented cabinet that included individuals like John Edwards (AG), Joe Biden (State), Christopher Dodd (Commerce), Chuck Hagel (Defense), Sam Nunn (Defense), and Bill Richardson (State or Chief of Staff) . . . plus as Vice President either Diane Feinstein or Barbara Boxer. That'd be some good mojo.

15. laura, CA

His aides say he chose that moment to endorse after Obama was trounced in WV. That is exactly what it means to take away the coverage of Clinton's huge victory and place it on Obama who didn't do anything.
    BOYS CLUB!

16. NO SWEETIE

TO HILLARY SUPPORTERS. PLEASE, DO NOT WRITE IN HILLARYS NAME ON TICKET, IT WOULD JUST BE GIVEN TO OBAMA, WE NEED TO VOTE FOR McCAIN OR I GUESS JUST STAY HOME. I HAVE ASKED DNC TO TAKE MY NAME OFF THEIR CALL LIST!!!!!

17. Pamela, Chicago, IL

President Obama's cabinet

VP = Kathleen Sebelius

Atty Gen = John Edwards

Sec Energy = Al Gore

Sec Homeland Security = Colin Powell

Sec of Health = Hillary Clinton (make her put her money where her mouth is)

Sec Def = Jim Webb

Sec Vet Affairs = Tammy Duckworth (wounded Iraq war vet, head of IL state Vet affairs)

OMB – Chuck Hagel

Bi partisanship that works!

18. Franky

Thank you Sen. Edwards! Do what you gotta do and focus.....

19. Mia and Mike

I would love to see Edwards as US Attorney General. This is the position that he has said he would be most interested in. It is also my hope that Hillary is selected as VP. We need them all in the White House Administration. Go Dems!!

20. Megan

I saw the headline and was surprised Obama had already asked someone to be his VP since he hasn't won the nomination yet. Oh wait, he hasn't asked him or anyone-it's all speculation. What a surprise!

21. HILLARY OR MCCAIN

These two Democrats are just empty suits (although I really liked John Edwards suit, very nice). No original thoughts or ideas.

Hillary, take it to the convention. You are our only hope!

Conservative Dems for Hillary!

Hillary 08 or McCain if necessary!

22. schwarzenblitz@gmail.com

I am actually from Outside USA, but I can clearly see that Obama would be the best candidate.

To all people who say they will 'write in' Hillary,
    U are not doing Obama , or his supporters a favor by supporting his candidacy...U are just helping urselves !! So get over the idea that U are doing Obama a favor by voting for him.

Obama won fair and Square , and If u wanna be sore losers, then go ahead and do it without all the "if not hillary, McGrandpa'08 " yapping.

Well, if McCain, still wins, it just gives people like me an opportunity to laugh at the US , which is a pity considering the nation's glorious history.

23. Toni

John you were my first choice.....but you flat out disappointed me with your endorsement.It should have been Hillary, or you should have stuck to your word and stay out of it. Being coy does not suit you, and I vehemently defended you when people in my circle said you were just a pretty face........I guess you fooled me,my bad.

May 16, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  24. Mike

Edwards is a lawyer and politician. Isn't Obama a lawyer and politician too ??

May 16, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  25. Mike Dallas

John Edwards, please reconsider your choice about not running for VP, the two of you looked quite natural together on that stage in Michigan. That would possibly prevent Republican from reeking havoc with our country for at least 16 years!. The country needs you!

May 16, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |