May 16th, 2008

Edwards flatly rules out running with Obama

An Obama-Edwards ticket 'wont' happen.'
An Obama-Edwards ticket 'wont' happen.'

(CNN) - Seeing John Edwards and Barack Obama on the same stage earlier this week left political pundits buzzing: Could these two be an unbeatable presidential ticket?

They appeared to have natural chemistry - something Edwards and then-Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry seemed to lack in 2004 - and the former North Carolina senator remains popular among a key demographic that has been reluctant to support Obama - working class white voters.

But Edwards flatly said Friday, as he had before he endorsed a candidate, that he's not interested in making a second run for vice president.

"No," Edwards said in no uncertain terms on NBC's the Today show when asked about the possibility. "Won't happen.…It's just not something I am interested in."

As for another position in an Obama administration, specifically Attorney General, Edwards was decidedly more coy.

"I don't really want to get involved in that speculation," he said. "Right now we have to focus on getting Barack Obama elected to President of the United States, then we’ll worry about those things."

Edwards formally endorsed Obama Wednesday evening, the day after Clinton scored a 41 point victory over the Illinois senator in West Virginia. Edwards also said Friday the timing of his announcement was not specifically designed by the Obama campaign to direct the media coverage away from the New York senator's win.

"That's not true," he said. "I know it's not true because I am the one who made the decision about when to do this. I believe this was the right time to do it. I made a decision that the public should know at this point my view."

1. Terry

Edwards would not make a good running mate. We already saw him with Kerry, and that didn't go anywhere. I think Obama can make his own choice. But don't be too disappointed if he chooses Al Sharpton.

May 16, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  2. Bill

Did I miss the part where Edwards' extreme deficiencies as a campaigner were outlined? You can't just plug in a demographic-magnet and expect the votes to follow. That guy (or woman) has to be a strong, relentless campaigner as well. Edwards isn't. He's a born appointee.

But really, the decent thing for him to do is to devote the next couple of years to his wife, even if she tells him not to. Whatever he does, it should allow him to be with her (and their children) full-time. Not that it matters by comparison, but I'd be much more willing to vote for him after he followed through on that type of commitment.

May 16, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  3. Deloris

I am greatly disappointed in Edwards for his backing of Obama, and I would never vote for Obama.

May 16, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  4. wwf

I did not know just how many stupid people there where in the United States until I started reading these blogs. Answers my question as to how Bush could have been elected twice. Now I know. Thank you.

May 16, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  5. R

Funny how rush republicans come on here and say stuff like vote hillary or 800 year old Mcsame or say how no one knows obama, but when he does talk or gives us all a chance to know his policy they want him to shut up. you guys never break the mold do you? you are all the same.. you attack someone for wanting dialog with our enemies, yet reagan was funding terrorists and giving WMD's to saddam back in the day.. we wouldn't even know who osama bin laden was if reagan and crew didnt bankroll him. and isnt dubya good friends with the bin laden family? you guys are right, we do deserve change!

May 16, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  6. Viva Obama 08

Obama/Edward 08
    Obama/Hillary 08
    Obama/Biden 08
    Obama/Algore 08
    Obama/Polosi 08
    These are all good tickets. Get united to get the house back.
    John McCain is a third term for George Bush.

May 16, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  7. Anonymous

Jenny, I couldn't agree with you more!!!!! Just goes to show, the people who want to vote for Hillary don't really know what they want.

May 16, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  8. Chris

Obama probably has picked his VP..and I am sure it is hell no Clinton.

Hopefully it is Webb.

May 16, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  9. Jim in GB

How about Obama/Richardson 08? What do you guys think of that?

May 16, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  10. mitchell from arkansaw

you would make a great team with obama .maybe you could be the dems. new poverty czar?

May 16, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  11. gina

hahaha. I wanted so badly for Hillary to win, but now I hope the "PM" of the Democratic party wins! I will be laughing when you realize that he was only "talk talk talk", there's not going to be any changes! What makes you think that this inexperienced guy will "change" the whole system??? Come on! I give you credit because you have have hope that something will be different. I feel so sorry for all of you who believe it ( and believe me , I am a very positive person) , I feel sorry for the party and for the ones that say he's a one in a lifetime leader! Oh, Richardson, God Bless you! and God bless America because if he wins, you are going to regret it and since I don't want to be part of this, I will not vote for any of those remaining guys that have nothing to give but just simple "promises" to be in control ...power

Come on, PM and his wife, get filled from power that that is what you are looking for and take advantage of it while you can in the next 4 years. As for me... I have become an Independent

May 16, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  12. Cat in pa.

Edwards is a smart man. He doesn't want to be on a losing
    ticket again.

May 16, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  13. Steve

It annoys me to see all this "Hillary or McCain" nonsense. If you really think McCain is the better option, you have no idea about any of the 3 candidate's positions. Even Hillary has explicitly said she'll support Obama 100% if she doesn't get the nomination. Any Hillary supporter who votes for McCain would be just as misguided as any Obama supporter voting for McCain.

May 16, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  14. Cai

Senator Edwards, please reconsider. Your country needs you right now, and you and Sen. Obama could do great things together in the White House.

May 16, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  15. Abiodun Esho

Don't be shy baby, it tastes good

May 16, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  16. John in Iowa

One word: LOSER

May 16, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  17. Mike Birmingham, AL

That's too bad, Edwards would have made a great VP. I do think he would make a great Attorney General, especially after the previous ones we've had.

Looks like the Obama administration is shaping up to be an all-star team!

Oh yeah, don't pay any attention to the people trying to rally a "Write In Hillary" campaign, or a "Switch to McCain" campaign – they are just Limbaugh's Operation Chaos nuts.

May 16, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  18. Billy J Austin,TX

Attorney General would be FANTASTIC!! He is tailor made for the position. The only Kennedy I was truly truly impressed with was Bobby as Attorney General, and this guy would be every bit as dedicated and charismatic ( and yes charisma counts when you are presenting your case for enforcement to the public or the court )

May 16, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  19. sheryl

And I love you for that!!!! Thank you Mr Edwards

Obama 04/12!!!!!!

May 16, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  20. James

Would have only given me yet another reason not to vote for Obama. Even if Clinton is the running mate I would have to hold my nose to vote for him. He is not the person to run this country at this time. She is!!!!!!

May 16, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  21. REpublican for Hillary

I just read an article where Michael Dukakis said Obama is better prepared for the GOP attacks. What planet is he on? The media is about to dump Obama like a hot potato and start on how wonderful McCain is for the next President. I'll bet Obama goes down quicker than Dukakis did. He may win a part of the Dems, but I'll bet if we could step behind the curtain with a lot of those Dems, they will not vote in the General for Obama. It is sad the Dems have a chance to win the White House and restore American pride and patriotism, but instead have let the pundits in the media choose their candidate. Shame on you. Go Hillary!

May 16, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  22. kay, NM

Sue - who is the worse liar than her who lies to herself?

May 16, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  23. Jaime

Go Johnny Go!

Yes, go for Attorney General and then prosecute the Bush administration to the full extent of the law for treason, war crimes, racketeering, fraud and murder to name a few charges....

GW you are going to jail mofo!!!

May 16, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  24. Sean

How can you people say "If not HIllary, then McCain?" Are McCain's policies that similar to Hillary? NO. So then why would you vote for him?

If you are picking a president, you need to be with the one who's policies are similar to the ones you would like to see. Obama and Clinton are almost identical. Sure, there are some details that aren't.

But to say you would rather have McCain, who is a complete opposite from Clinton, than Obama, means you aren't voting based on policy, which makes me question why you would call yourself a Democrat in the first place.

May 16, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  25. Kenneth

Obama will probably pick one of his fellow Hama deep cover operative as his running mate. Then they will fulfil their Jihad duties to destroy the U.S. from within.

Michelle will finally be proud!

May 16, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |