May 16th, 2008

Edwards flatly rules out running with Obama

An Obama-Edwards ticket 'wont' happen.'
An Obama-Edwards ticket 'wont' happen.'

(CNN) - Seeing John Edwards and Barack Obama on the same stage earlier this week left political pundits buzzing: Could these two be an unbeatable presidential ticket?

They appeared to have natural chemistry - something Edwards and then-Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry seemed to lack in 2004 - and the former North Carolina senator remains popular among a key demographic that has been reluctant to support Obama - working class white voters.

But Edwards flatly said Friday, as he had before he endorsed a candidate, that he's not interested in making a second run for vice president.

"No," Edwards said in no uncertain terms on NBC's the Today show when asked about the possibility. "Won't happen.…It's just not something I am interested in."

As for another position in an Obama administration, specifically Attorney General, Edwards was decidedly more coy.

"I don't really want to get involved in that speculation," he said. "Right now we have to focus on getting Barack Obama elected to President of the United States, then we’ll worry about those things."

Edwards formally endorsed Obama Wednesday evening, the day after Clinton scored a 41 point victory over the Illinois senator in West Virginia. Edwards also said Friday the timing of his announcement was not specifically designed by the Obama campaign to direct the media coverage away from the New York senator's win.

"That's not true," he said. "I know it's not true because I am the one who made the decision about when to do this. I believe this was the right time to do it. I made a decision that the public should know at this point my view."

1. Pat-Pittsburgh

Great chose to pick Edwards, ya look how much he helped Kerry.

Run again in 2012, yep, keep running into that brick wall and expect to get a different result.

Edwards is a weak candidate much to feminine for me.

May 16, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  2. Lets get Rush Limbaugh

Imus got canned and now its Limbaughs turn.

May 16, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  3. Prakash

Thanks for the endorsement, Edwards.

However, I really feel that, he is not cut-off to be the running mate for Obama, and he knows that!!!

Go Oba....!!!

May 16, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  4. Sheri

You can't write Hilliary Clinton in on the ticket?
    That is STUPID TO THE MAX!!!

May 16, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  5. Debbie

I was hoping Obama would choose him, but if Edwards doesn't want that position that is his choice. Obama and Edwards do have a great chemistry together and appear they would work well together. Edwards was my choice in the beginning and when he dropped out I tettered between Hillary and Obama. I went with Obama. I hope Edwards is appointed to some type of positiion in 2009. Edwards has been rallied around the poor that have no voice. I rspect he and his wife.

May 16, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  6. lewes

Lord, such ugliness and hate here. Is this the true face of America?

May 16, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  7. Collin McKenzie

I'm a jamaican and it's real funny just how my TV never leaves off the CNN channel. In my opinion, I think it's time for Hillary to gracefully bow out of the race. One, I think she's hurting the party just by staying in and 2, it's time for the party to come together and unite. I know how hard it is to come this far and not to be a winner but what she needs to remember is that she's doing this for the betterment of her people, her country and the democratics will have a real chance at the white house again. She still have hopes that she can do this but she needs to wake up and smell the coffee, the time has run out and there's nothing she or her supporters can do to change what's already done. It's time for the democratic party to come together and put up the strong defense against John Mccain, who apprently has no good intention for the counrty, for heaven sake, the man needs to go home and relax, He's too old to be fighting for power and clearly he's just another George Bush..

May 16, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  8. dmw

Edwards can not help him. I would advise Hillary NOT to be his running mate (he will not ask her anyway) because she does not want to be on a losing ticket and she can come back in 2012 and this time get the nomination because she is the best qualified and we all know she was robbed this primary season.

Obama will need all the help he can get to win the Presidency. And he will not win for several reasons: his inexperience, his pastor, his holier than thou attitude, his wife's view of America, his wanting to meet with foreign countries that hate America, middle America not liking him, his race, his being the most liberal of all Senators, his supporters and the media bias against Hillary, his and his supporters sexist attutudes, his lack of depth on issues, his 'present' votes in the State Senate, and his whinning everytime he gets critized and his crew always screaming racism for everything.

May 16, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  9. Virginia

Adam C. wrote Obama/Webb are the best ticket in 08. I believe he should review a little history about Sen. Webb and start at the beginning with his days in the service and when he was Secretary of the Navy under President Reagan. There are many, many folks in Virginia who do not have much respect for this person and what he has done in the past...he was about to be fired by President Reagan, but decided to quit at the last moment to spare his reputation. We all know why he defeated then Sen. Allen and barely defeat him may I say. It was because of the comments Sen. Allen made which distrubed/upset many of us Vriginians. He has done nothing for this State and every time he speaks for the Democrats after the President addresses our nation, it is filled with smug and arrogance. I can only say thank God we have Sen. Warner for our State, but unfortunately he is retiring...

Now a very good VP nominee would be Sen. Biden or the Gov. of Kansas....just my opinion, but I'm sure Sen. O'Bama will make a wise choice.

May 16, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  10. josephcast

Edwards for Attorney General and then, the Supreme Court!

Sen. Jenny Oropeza (CA) for Sec. of Education!

Obama/ Feingold for 2008!!!!

May 16, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  11. Clear Thinking Indepedent Voter

It’s my personal opinion that Hillary shouldn’t be on the ticket ac Vice President, nor should she want to be. She has as much of an ego as any man and won’t be happy. The VP job is not one of great power … it doesn’t suit her skills or ambition.

The benefit Hillary & Bill would bring to Mr.Obama can be brought in alternate ways, including the Clinton family getting on a bus and crisscrossing the rural portions of Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Western Virginia AND West Virginia, Kentucky, Arkansas, Georgia and Florida for 4 months “Stumping” for the ticket.

This avoids any negatives she has (even her most ardent supporters, if they are honest with themselves, will have to admit that she would bring additional baggage.

We should root for Mrs. Clinton to be the new Poverty Czar where she can have a real impact.

To guarantee the Democratic alternative is a winner, Mr. Obama needs to pick someone of his even keeled temperament, with more gray hair than he has (he does have some) … that puts a geographic stronghold in the Democratic column. A more recent veteran would be nice to contrast the POW phase of McCain’s life of 35 years ago.

I like General Wesley Clark. A General trumps McCain. He also helps pull Southern men away from McCain.

May 16, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  12. park more

Edwards is just a looser with no respect to Hillary. She is very strong than you Edwards, she still on but not you.......

May 16, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  13. Country Joe

McCain flip flops again. There is a new video out now with McCain saying that we should talk and deal with Hamas.

It's a real shame. This guy used to stand for something, now he just tries to pander to the right to get votes.

He used to be ...

1) against the bush tax cuts ... now he's for them
    2) for a withdrawal from iraq ... now against it
    3) for talking and dealing with hamas ... now against it

May 16, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  14. Ray Ito

Edwards is an honorable man. If he's not interested in the V.P. spot, then he'll be great for Attorney-General.

This is a man who really loves his country and party, and not for what he can get.
    Many superdelegates are still clinging to the "Clinton loyalty" factor which redundant. Let go of that and move forward to claim the White House with Obama.

May 16, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  15. Marc in Quebec

Why not? Is being VP too low an office for him? Coming from the guy who ran with Kerry, I find it strange that he wouldn't consider running with Obama....

May 16, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  16. Neutral

To Hillary supporters:

if ANY of Obambi trolls calls you stupid, take it as a COMPLIMENT. Never expect something smart to come out from his trolls with an IQ where X and Y intersect......ROTFLMAO!!!!

May 16, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  17. johnny d

Senator Obama would need anyone but him self...sure looser... There is a God, you wait and see... He will never be president and I declare it this day as the Lord liveth.

May 16, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  18. james Pa

we need Brother from south

May 16, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  19. ree for experience

I want to hear from Elizabeth Edwards. Where was she when he endorsed Obama?

I am tired of Obama supporters calling us names because we don't want to jump on the Obama bandwagon. Most of us have good reasons why we won't be voting for Obama and his wife.

I want experience. I don't think John McCain will be another Bush. In fact, I think Obama will be. He reminds me so much of Bush 7 years ago. The same attitude and inexperience.

May 16, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  20. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

Jim from Chicago – look around and listen to the results of 8 years of attack politics – is that REALLY what you meant to say?

The country is down – we don't need that kind of people in our government any longer.

Please say you mis-spoke.

May 16, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  21. Aaron

To the Hillary supporters saying they plan to vote for Mccain...Good for you. Since her demographic is poor uneducated white people and older people, just take a guess who Mccain and the republicans usually hurt?

You'll be hurting yourself much more then me, my wallet and house can stand another Republican president. Can yours?

Obama 08

May 16, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  22. GoldenChica

You know that net zero commercial that says "Don't believe it." That's what I think of Edwards' statements.

May 16, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  23. Swalker327

Will you Hillary or bust (McCain) idiots shut up - you are idiots - the same idiots that are crying because of the war, Iraq, recession, etc. Just go stick you head back in the sand....

May 16, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  24. Marc

It's ok. Edwards will still help us campaign.

May 16, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  25. NAMANDE - BOSTON

CHILL PEOPLE!! WE'RE GOING TO HAVE A DEMOCRATIC PRESIDENT REGARDLESS. DON'T YOU SEE WE HAVE 3 DEMOCRATS RUNNING?? SEN. MACCAIN, SEN. OBAMA AND SEN. CLINTON. BY THE WAY KUDOS TO JOE LIEBERMAN FOR STEPPING IN WHENEVER SEN. MACCAIN DRAWS A BLANK!!. IT'S ONLY 4 MORE YEARS AND TRUST ME – THEY WILL GO BY FAST!!

May 16, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |