May 16th, 2008

Huckabee jokes about Obama ducking a gunman

CNN

Watch Huckabee's joke at the NRA Convention Friday. (starting at 0:50).

(CNN) – During a speech before the National Rifle Association convention Friday afternoon in Louisville, Kentucky, former Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee - who has endorsed presumptive GOP nominee John McCain - joked that an unexpected offstage noise was Democrat Barack Obama looking to avoid a gunman.

“That was Barack Obama, he just tripped off a chair, he's getting ready to speak,” said the former Arkansas governor, to audience laughter. “Somebody aimed a gun at him and he dove for the floor.”

Obama supports extending the assault weapons ban, limits on gun sales, and a national law against carrying concealed weapons, with exceptions for retired police and military personnel. John McCain – whose legislative record was awarded a C+ rating by the NRA in 2004, but has received a perfect score – will address the group later Friday afternoon. His speech will include remarks "on the issue of unconditional negotiation with state sponsors of terror" that aides tell CNN’s Dana Bash are a direct response to Obama’s comments earlier Friday.

UPDATE, 8:28 PM: Huckabee released the following statement regarding his comments Friday, according to the New York Times website:
During my speech at the N.R.A., a loud noise backstage, that sounded like a chair falling, distracted the crowd and interrupted my speech. I made an off hand remark that was in no way intended to offend or disparage Sen. Obama. I apologize that my comments were offensive. That was never my intention.

1. Scott ATL

I hope Huckabee is not suggesting that someone may try to shoot Barack Obama???

We're starting to see some ole Jim Crow type tactics...wow I'm sure he will say that it was not intended to be that way, but hmmmmmm...

May 16, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  2. Bob Indianapolis, IN

Glad that Jesus loves you, Huckster! No one else with half a brain or any interest in science does!

May 16, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  3. Karen in Cape Cod

I support Hillary Clinton, however, that comment WAS NOT FUNNY!

May 16, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  4. A.

That's not even a tiny bit funny.

May 16, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  5. old white moman

I supported Clinton but I understand .... she has lost .
    I`ll give my voice to Barack Obama!

Democrats unite!

Anybody..... with me.....?????????????? Hellooooo!

May 16, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  6. Yeswecan

Mr Huckabee
    Get your house in order. These silly comments are not going to get GOP anywhere. You guys have messed with America long enough to get us here. We will make sure there is no republican in White House in 09.

May 16, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  7. Chris from NY

This is a not a laughing matter. People are dying from gun violence. While we support the second ammendment, we do advocate for discipline in selling and handling guns. How can Mike Hucabee joke about such a serious issue? Do Republicans ever take anything serious? More so, why did Mike Hucabee have to use Obama for such a joke? That's appauling. I take offense at it.

May 16, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  8. Kim

Pastor as you call your self. That was nice of you to talk like this. Claiming to be a Child of God. Think about what you say, don't try to impress other Folks.

May 16, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  9. Proud1of 26% in WV

As a life long NRA member,hunter,gun owner,and republican these kind of statements are why I voted democratic for the first time in 30+ years.In WV guns are here to stay.I'm worried about $4>00 per gallon gas prices.If I could ask Hitler 1 question it would be what the hell does this have to do with anything.

May 16, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  10. Allan

Up until this very moment, I thought that Huckabee, though horribly mistaken on most social issues, was a decent man and a good Christian.

Not any more.

I hope Huckabee experiences the gun-related death of someone he loves real soon like I have, that will be karma.

May 16, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  11. S. Rice

What is wrong with this man? Really, that is funny?

May 16, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  12. John Smith

Thank God!

May 16, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  13. JT

Wow. What a scary comment.

May 16, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  14. Dave

I'm no Obama mark but Huckster, you're not funny, man!! go back to AR Gomer.

May 16, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  15. Fed Up

What an appalling statement by Mr. Huckabee. He should be ashamed of himself and owes Senator Obama an apology. The Republicans are sinking to new lows in their desperation.

May 16, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  16. Sweetie

Some things are just tooooooooo easy!

Obama is definetly a Whimp without a clue!

McCain 08

May 16, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  17. Chris Banner

That is inappropriate for Hukabee to say
    A loser comes up with that type of "un-funny" joke and it is posted on CNN.... Don't you guys have better news to post up

May 16, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  18. Shane

I AM A DEMOCRAT AND I THOUGHT THAT WAS REALLY FUNNY

May 16, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  19. BIFF, BIFFINGTON...

huck....

very poor taste....

very poor.

May 16, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  20. Doug R.

Most people in the country could care less about Mike Huckabee or what he has to say. He's a loser.

May 16, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  21. Ken from Michigan

That's a disgusting remark.

Thank the NRA for all the senseless murders of our youth and children.

Huckabee is a JOKE!!

May 16, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  22. no bon bons

Obama is an IDIOT!!! No wonder he has to PAY hundreds of people to blog for him.....

May 16, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  23. White Male -CA

That was a veiled threat.

May 16, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  24. Philip

This coming from an ordained minister? Guns are no laughing matter. REPs say life is sacred; I guess only some lives are sacred.

The Republican Party; they are the ones that make thinking people laugh. What a joke.

May 16, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  25. MH

What is Mike Huckabee trying to infer by such comments–that some sick minded person should or will aim a weapon at Senator Obama? Or that Mr Obama's potential Presidency may result in someone taking aim at him? These types of comments can encourage and promote some sick minded person to act. Huckabee should be ashame of himself and held accountable for his words. Once looked at as a Christian running for President; is this Huckabee's true colors and feelings toward an African American who may be his next President? I'd like to see him wiggle his way out of this one.

May 16, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |