May 16th, 2008

Huckabee jokes about Obama ducking a gunman

CNN

Watch Huckabee's joke at the NRA Convention Friday. (starting at 0:50).

(CNN) – During a speech before the National Rifle Association convention Friday afternoon in Louisville, Kentucky, former Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee - who has endorsed presumptive GOP nominee John McCain - joked that an unexpected offstage noise was Democrat Barack Obama looking to avoid a gunman.

“That was Barack Obama, he just tripped off a chair, he's getting ready to speak,” said the former Arkansas governor, to audience laughter. “Somebody aimed a gun at him and he dove for the floor.”

Obama supports extending the assault weapons ban, limits on gun sales, and a national law against carrying concealed weapons, with exceptions for retired police and military personnel. John McCain – whose legislative record was awarded a C+ rating by the NRA in 2004, but has received a perfect score – will address the group later Friday afternoon. His speech will include remarks "on the issue of unconditional negotiation with state sponsors of terror" that aides tell CNN’s Dana Bash are a direct response to Obama’s comments earlier Friday.

UPDATE, 8:28 PM: Huckabee released the following statement regarding his comments Friday, according to the New York Times website:
During my speech at the N.R.A., a loud noise backstage, that sounded like a chair falling, distracted the crowd and interrupted my speech. I made an off hand remark that was in no way intended to offend or disparage Sen. Obama. I apologize that my comments were offensive. That was never my intention.

1. Franky

Do you know what I like about today??? I love the fact that he is challenging Senator McCain. I'm not gonna lie guys but to me, he has to show confidence, pride, respect and honor towards what he believes in. I just liked the idea that he was calm and relaxed. I'm not gonna lie guys, THAT'S WHAT HE NEEDS TO DO! He needs to show that he can stand up, take a punch, not be afraid and in fact, call people out because in essence, the Dems are going to have give out punches, there's no question the Dems are going to have be tough with GOP. Let's get this straight, this election couldn't have been written better......

He needs to do that and call people out. I just loved what he did, I really did. In my opinion, this is as probably as close I ever heard him say he wants to either challenge McCain or even that bastard of a President! I just love how he handled himself and how he showed confidence. Remember when some people have said that my boy should be a little tough??? Well, based on what I just saw, he had some toughness in him today. And I'm sure some people won't believe and said...."No way!!! He ain't so tough".

That's how I want it to be.....

THAT'S WHAT HE NEEDS TO DO!

May 16, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  2. joyce

MIKEH
    i am from arkansas to
    if you are going to make a joke at least make it a funny one or just plain shut up

May 16, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  3. Jay

I agree, it really wasnt that funny. BUT in no way should he "apologize" Why should he?

There was no insult there.

You people are just blowing it up because your blinded by biasness.

May 16, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  4. Kyle Indianapolis, Indiana

oh my God – Let's joke about killing the future president. No wonder Huck-who LOST! What a LOSER! I can't stand these republican jokes anymore!

May 16, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  5. Women for Obama

And that was perceived as being funny? Wow!

May 16, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  6. Dandelion.

Truly disgusting... Us democrats have to unite, now.

May 16, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  7. Chris, Washington, D.C.

Yikes... kind of makes you wish for the days when Huckabee was using outdated Chuck Norris jokes, doesn't it?

May 16, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  8. carrie

no bons bons
    you are as stupid as your fake name.

May 16, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  9. joey

more politics of fear from a dieing poltical party. huckabee needs to go back to his baptists tent preaching and leave politics to people that have a clue.

May 16, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  10. Frances

Obama ducked because he thought Dick Cheney was in the room

May 16, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  11. Lynette

Clinging to guns isn't going to save America's failing.... But an education goes a lot further in a competitive world. American ideas are becomming absolute and It is very sad to watch it happen.

May 16, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  12. melikeyhill

For a former baptist preacher that is grossly unacceptable, thank God for our primaries they do help weed out the worst and weakest candidates!!!! im glad huckabee didnt go far!!!!

May 16, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  13. TREY

poor taste.....sad

May 16, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  14. joyce

alonza in fl.

WATCH YOUR MOUTH
    SORE LOOSER

May 16, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  15. OMG

Actually,, Mike, That was everyone in the back room because Dick Cheney just entered holding a gun.

May 16, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  16. Darth Vadik, CA

THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

IS HUCK TRYING TO SEND A SIGNAL TO ONE OF THE CRAZY PEOPLE WHO MIGHT DO THIS?

May 16, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  17. Bri in Charlottesville, VA

Attention republicans: if Senator Obama has faced scrunity from the backlash of Reverend Wright's comments (mostly from YOU), what do you have to say for yourselves about this?

May 16, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  18. anne, Portland, OR

Mike Huckabee, a reverend makes jokes about a man being shot? wow! I used to have a graphic I made of Obama/Huckabee 08, mainly because I respected Huckabee. Well, as I am the first to admit how wrong I was about the Clintons, I know have to say I was totally wrong about Huckabee, he's a typical politician, following the lead of the GOP machine, saying anything to keep the attention on them – you lost my respect today – and I think you owe Obama an apology! What would Jessus say????

May 16, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  19. pat

that is sooo sick, and very very stupid

May 16, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  20. Fojohnson

What a shame that Huckabee should make joke about Gun in this country when people get killed by someone with no purpose. That is not pondering to NRA but just a silly remark. I wish he would not have said a word like that because it is not a joke. He will stir a lot of eyebrow and even give some lunatic some idea.

May 16, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  21. Rus in St. Paul, MN

Maybe McCain can explain why he was in favor of Colin Powell visiting and having discussions with Syria also in 2003, against the wishes of the republican congress at that time?

In the same interview he said he believed them to be a state sponser of terror, but applauded Powell for going to Syria.

May 16, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  22. Montana is Obama Country

...........MIke.........Your JOKE.. was in POOR Taste...

I really thought you MIKE would take the high road especially since he is a reverend or pastor or something.. Mike does not turn the other cheek and is disgraceful to all Americans with his comments.

He needs to shut up before he meets his maker asking for redemtion..

.....YES....WE...Can... is the higer power...

May 16, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  23. Sharon Minnesota

Huckabee, that was an uncalled for remark. I'm supporting John McCain but those kind of foolish statements do not help him.

What in the world???

If this report is accurate and McCain was thinking about choosing Huckabee for his VP running mate, I would strongly suggest that he reconsiders.

May 16, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  24. Debby

Well Obama should do a better job of his gun ban in the city of Chicago because the crime rate there is awful. Well maybe Huckabee's comment isn't so far off as Obama hasn't been to Iraq yet. He is ducking that fire to it seems.

May 16, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  25. nitro

And this guy is a minister.

May 16, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |