May 16th, 2008

Huckabee jokes about Obama ducking a gunman

CNN

Watch Huckabee's joke at the NRA Convention Friday. (starting at 0:50).

(CNN) – During a speech before the National Rifle Association convention Friday afternoon in Louisville, Kentucky, former Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee - who has endorsed presumptive GOP nominee John McCain - joked that an unexpected offstage noise was Democrat Barack Obama looking to avoid a gunman.

“That was Barack Obama, he just tripped off a chair, he's getting ready to speak,” said the former Arkansas governor, to audience laughter. “Somebody aimed a gun at him and he dove for the floor.”

Obama supports extending the assault weapons ban, limits on gun sales, and a national law against carrying concealed weapons, with exceptions for retired police and military personnel. John McCain – whose legislative record was awarded a C+ rating by the NRA in 2004, but has received a perfect score – will address the group later Friday afternoon. His speech will include remarks "on the issue of unconditional negotiation with state sponsors of terror" that aides tell CNN’s Dana Bash are a direct response to Obama’s comments earlier Friday.

UPDATE, 8:28 PM: Huckabee released the following statement regarding his comments Friday, according to the New York Times website:
During my speech at the N.R.A., a loud noise backstage, that sounded like a chair falling, distracted the crowd and interrupted my speech. I made an off hand remark that was in no way intended to offend or disparage Sen. Obama. I apologize that my comments were offensive. That was never my intention.

1. Jon

Just goes to show that people are really thinking the guy is going to get shot. If that is the first thing you think of to say, it's up at the forefront of your thoughts.

May 16, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  2. Joe Strummer

This joke fails on so many levels, but let's look at the most innocent: It presumes Obama, as a Democrat, is somehow anti-gun. I know the GOP hates to give up this wedge issue, but, hey–the GOP/NRA has already won this one. When Obama and Clinton are debating over who's more pro-gun, you know the point is moot. More lying, propagandistic BS from the GOP. And, oh yeah, racism to boot! What a buncha schmucks!

May 16, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  3. The Dude

This is old material. When he was a pastor he used to tell this joke all the time... "The noise you just heard was Jesus taking cover, because someone pointed a nail gun at him!"

May 16, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  4. Billy From Fla

That Skinny little man Obama looks like he might be afraid of his own
    shadow. Since his wife rules the roost, I'm sure she'll protect him.

May 16, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  5. sumac61

Folks, the face the the GOP!

May 16, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  6. Bluto

Good christian humor is all.

May 16, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  7. Bubba

Isn't it a crime to suggest someone shoot the president? Or even a candidate for president? Arrest Huck and let a judge rule . . . oh wait, he's rich.

And I agree, his wife is the dumbest lump ever proposed as first lady. Even McCain's evil shrew would be better.

May 16, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  8. Luckyj

Who or what is a Huckabee.

May 16, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  9. Black Female, Texas

I am a Hillary supporter and will not be voting for Obama, but Huckabee's attempt at a joke is really dumb and not funny at all.

May 16, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  10. Jim

This could be Huckabee's plan to send someone shooting Obama.

May 16, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  11. Tara

I am not sure what disturbs me more: that Huckabee told an unbelievably tasteless joke or that the audience laughed. Scary, scary.

May 16, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  12. Stephen

I normally find Huckabee pretty funny, unfortunately this one falls flat.

May 16, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  13. Carolyn

Can you imagine the courage it takes for an African American to run for President? "Jokes" like this are totally sick. I am appalled! Huckabee needs to get down on his knees and ask for forgiveness.

May 16, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  14. Republican in Idaho

What is with Huckabee? I used to respect and admire him, but after reading this I am not so sure? Why would you joke about something like this? What is happening to the republican party, our leaders are making a–es of themselves.

May 16, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  15. tigerakabj

Ok, Huckabee. Your social and political policies notwithstanding, I thought you had some sense and were a decent man. But when you say something like this, I get mad.

You'd better apologize and do it soon before you have to duck yourself. Of all people, you chose Obama to make the joke about. One good thing about this race is everybody's true colors are coming out. You of all people should know God doesn't like ugly. Take your behind back to Arkansas.

May 16, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  16. Scientific

Uncalled for. And how, exactly, is that supposed to be funny? Wouldn't ANYONE duck if a gun was pointed at them?

May 16, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  17. Lynette

Clinging to guns isn't going to save America's failing economy.... But an education goes a lot further in a competitive world. American ideas are becomming absolute and It is very sad to watch it happen.

May 16, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  18. Bubba

Let me guess: his entire audience was white?

Yes, I AM psychic. And I think someone's going to poison Huck's creme brulee.

May 16, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  19. Debbie

That wasn't funny joking about anyone being shot at. The media made such a big to-do about Rev. Wright but to me joking about someone being shot at is horrible. Shame on you Mike Huckabee. I am not a Clinton supporter but if he made the comment towards her, I would equally appalled.

May 16, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  20. Scott ATL

Kind of makes you understand, maybe just a weeeeeeeeeee bit where Rev. Wright was coming from, huh?

May 16, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  21. Pam

How very Christian of Reverand Huckabee.

May 16, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  22. Suck A Bee

You need to go in your secret place of prayer and ask for gods forgiveness you and those who thiink this is a laughing matter need Prayer and while you are at it ask god if he will grant you some wisdom as well

May 16, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  23. Marty, Orlando

Dissapointing to say the least.
    You lost my respect.

May 16, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  24. James McCoy

I bet if someone pointed a gun at Huckabee that he would cry for mercy and start quoting the bible, while he high tailed it out of the building...crying....

May 16, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  25. shirley ann

Mr. Huckabee,
    I thought you were a better man. Shame on you. What is it anyway? Pick on Obama week.

May 16, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |