May 16th, 2008

Huckabee jokes about Obama ducking a gunman

CNN

Watch Huckabee's joke at the NRA Convention Friday. (starting at 0:50).

(CNN) – During a speech before the National Rifle Association convention Friday afternoon in Louisville, Kentucky, former Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee - who has endorsed presumptive GOP nominee John McCain - joked that an unexpected offstage noise was Democrat Barack Obama looking to avoid a gunman.

“That was Barack Obama, he just tripped off a chair, he's getting ready to speak,” said the former Arkansas governor, to audience laughter. “Somebody aimed a gun at him and he dove for the floor.”

Obama supports extending the assault weapons ban, limits on gun sales, and a national law against carrying concealed weapons, with exceptions for retired police and military personnel. John McCain – whose legislative record was awarded a C+ rating by the NRA in 2004, but has received a perfect score – will address the group later Friday afternoon. His speech will include remarks "on the issue of unconditional negotiation with state sponsors of terror" that aides tell CNN’s Dana Bash are a direct response to Obama’s comments earlier Friday.

UPDATE, 8:28 PM: Huckabee released the following statement regarding his comments Friday, according to the New York Times website:
During my speech at the N.R.A., a loud noise backstage, that sounded like a chair falling, distracted the crowd and interrupted my speech. I made an off hand remark that was in no way intended to offend or disparage Sen. Obama. I apologize that my comments were offensive. That was never my intention.

1. Rural Pennsylvanian

Is there a candidate (even among those that dropped out) that has one ounce of common sense, I don't think so. This country is in a lot of trouble.

May 16, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  2. DEMS IN 2008

Since when did CNN start reporting news like TMZ? Flagpins? Sweetie? He said, She said?? How about reporting on real issues and not on anything and everything that tries to keep the audience from turning the channel? What is this Springer? Can anyone tell me where I can go to get an unbiased approach to real news concerning the candidates on the issues? I challenge CNN to look at the Blogs they have posted in the last few days, and let me know if there is even one post that has anything to do with the real issues Americans face, and what the candidates plan on doing about it!!

May 16, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  3. AB

If he wasn't dead I'd have guessed it was Heston. Always good to see a group of people against the Obama nonsense.

May 16, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  4. mitchell from arkansaw

ARREST HIM!

May 16, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  5. Common Sense

This guy is a joke and an idiot and thats why he couldn't even beat McCain.

No Huckabee! You're a loser and can't even match the intelligence of Obama's pinky finger.

May 16, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  6. Stacey

Another outrageous comment said by another outrageous republican. Get a thick skin Dems because the Republicans are desparate and will say anything. Remember, the Republicans love using fear politics. This is what they do and worse.

May 16, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  7. we ARE bitter!!!!!

Ummm, okay. How is that funny?????

May 16, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  8. Diziz31

Why is this man in the news? Have we nothing to report on but jokes from a sore loser? Funny you say, just remember those students in VA, CA, CO, and when those kids pulled a prank with the fire alarms and took shots with real guns at the elementary school. Are you laughing now.

May 16, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  9. Justin in Cambridge

My god, Republicans can't open their mouths without being offensive. Huckabee owes Obama an apology. Don't joke about a presidential candidate getting shot!!! Not funny at all.

May 16, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  10. lol

obama is a joke, he looks like a 6 year old when he talks about foriengn policy and debating mccain. (he ducked a debate with hillary). the most liberal senator of 2007 will never connect with blue collar workers, catholics, or senior citizens. UNITE AND WRITE hillary clintons name on the ballot. the dnc doesn't deserve hillary or her democratic supporters (millions of us).

May 16, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  11. Cami

Someone "aiming a gun" at anybody is not funny, period. Mr. Huckabee should offer an apology for joking about this.

May 16, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  12. Constance in VA

Unbelievable. I had decided that this primary campaign season had already shown us the worst sides of most everyone, but I stand corrected. This is the most irresponsible and potentially dangerous kind of gratuitous commentary - this is not funny, and one hopes that the audience for these asinine comments was made as uncomfortable hearing them as Huckabee SHOULD have been making them.

May 16, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  13. Carl

How is that funny.. if anything it could even be a racist comment – isn't everything racist these days?

So, I'm sorry Huckabee, you've had better moments.

May 16, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  14. Travis (in the real world)

I suppose you will teach this in your church...no wonder young people are listening to your nonsense.....I'm sure you'll be indicted if someone follows your teachings. They're trying to do it to video games, why not you.

May 16, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  15. Dan

That was hilarious. For some reason, I actually could picture the wimpy Obama doing that.

Make no mistake about it. This is exactly how the Repubs will picture Obama. A wimp, whinning, media protected left wing liberal. Would you really trust him on Foreign Policy, security, economy.....

The man needs 24 hrs. to gather his thoughts! And you expect him to think on his own two feet?!

May 16, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  16. stacy

perhaps he was indicating that Obama felt "guilty" and needed to
    duck.

May 16, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  17. Rob

Tacky juvenile comments like this are exactly why you lost Huckabee. Claim to be a minister and you joke about Obama getting shot in a country that routinely castigates, kills and imprisons black men for speaking up

May 16, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  18. sky

You know, the deal is that Barack has the potential to be a leader that everyone can take pride in, not just Democrats. John McCain looked into the future in one of his most recent speeches and perhaps that is not a bad idea. After the race is over and Barack is president it might become apparent that this country, all of us, really begin to like and admire this man whose only real sin is to love this country enough to run for its highest office. If you look back on those presidents that everyone loved and were proud of....those men who went down in history and who we all celebrate regardless of their political affiliations, many of them were taken from us by a gun. I think that when you look into the future and see how meaningful this man will be to our well being and our unity as a country you will find this remark to be distasteful and inappropriate and probably the very worst thing I have read here in the last 6 months. I thought Mike Huckabee was at the very least a good descent human being....even if I dont like his politics....but Mike you arent even that.

May 16, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  19. Bill in Illinois

I'm disappointed. I thought that Huckabee was better than that. I guess it just shows how low the Republicans are willing to stoop. they must be quaking in their boots at the thought of having to run against Obama.

May 16, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  20. Ron Seattle, WA

This sounds an awful lot like a racist suggesting a group of armed freaks do something stupid. Can they look into pressing charges for attempting to incite murder?

May 16, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  21. For realsies

I completely don't get the joke. So I don't even know if I should be offended on behalf of anybody.

However, I'd also like to say gun control is a non issue. Most murderers don't have legal guns anyway. So it's not like making guns ....more illegal? .... is going to stop any crimes. Gun control is just one of those republican things they create to get rednecks riled up and voting for them. And it's one of those issues dems take a stand on just to have an opinion.

I'll care about gun control when the vast majority of murderers are buying their guns at stores instead of on the streets.

May 16, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  22. karen

I thought Huckabee was better than that!!! After Obama's rebuttle this morning to Bush/McCain all republican had best keep their mouths shut!!! Obama knows history, the constitution and is on the side of truth and justice!!! I can't wait to see a debate between Obama and McCain! McCain and Bush look like they haven't even gotten their high school diplomas yet next to Obama!!!

May 16, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  23. WhoCareswhatRepublicansGuythink

What is Huckabee trying to say? Republicans are all bunch of idiots. This is very laughable matter coming out of former presidential candidate. Republicans voters were smart for not nominating this guy, not that Mccain is any better but atleast not this stupid.

May 16, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  24. Jake

I believe Huckabee's remark stems from the fact that many anti NRA folks judge wrongly stereotype people who hunt and own guns.

I believe it's not the gus that kill Americans, but the bad that is within a person.

May 16, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  25. Shelley Argyle Parson

Huckabee's humor is mean-spirited and ugly. He owes this nation an apology for a remark that was dangerous and insensitive. Clearly he does not have the judgment to be "Commander in Chief."
    Good Lord...