May 16th, 2008

Huckabee jokes about Obama ducking a gunman

CNN

Watch Huckabee's joke at the NRA Convention Friday. (starting at 0:50).

(CNN) – During a speech before the National Rifle Association convention Friday afternoon in Louisville, Kentucky, former Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee - who has endorsed presumptive GOP nominee John McCain - joked that an unexpected offstage noise was Democrat Barack Obama looking to avoid a gunman.

“That was Barack Obama, he just tripped off a chair, he's getting ready to speak,” said the former Arkansas governor, to audience laughter. “Somebody aimed a gun at him and he dove for the floor.”

Obama supports extending the assault weapons ban, limits on gun sales, and a national law against carrying concealed weapons, with exceptions for retired police and military personnel. John McCain – whose legislative record was awarded a C+ rating by the NRA in 2004, but has received a perfect score – will address the group later Friday afternoon. His speech will include remarks "on the issue of unconditional negotiation with state sponsors of terror" that aides tell CNN’s Dana Bash are a direct response to Obama’s comments earlier Friday.

UPDATE, 8:28 PM: Huckabee released the following statement regarding his comments Friday, according to the New York Times website:
During my speech at the N.R.A., a loud noise backstage, that sounded like a chair falling, distracted the crowd and interrupted my speech. I made an off hand remark that was in no way intended to offend or disparage Sen. Obama. I apologize that my comments were offensive. That was never my intention.

1. Robert

And you a minister.
    I once had a lot of respect for you Mile Huckabee. Now the mask is off.
    The bigotry in you has come out.

May 16, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  2. JAB

Come on you thinned skinned Obama-ites – it was a joke – lighten up – Obama is a big man – he can take it – geez!!!! You people are something else.

May 16, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  3. wyoming dem

This is really terrible. Such poor judgement and taste. WWJD?
    And this is a man of Christian faith???? Appauling. Discraceful and down right discusting. Idiot! But thanks Mike....you elephants just keep making it easier and easier.

May 16, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  4. Ding, Washington, DC

Where is outrageous? Considering how dumps some people are, this kind of jok is unacceptable in public. I denonunce and reject Mr. Huckabee poor choice on jok!. Simply outrage!

May 16, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  5. A.M.

I don't get it you 'Moran'...what's so funny?

A.M.
    Houston, Texas

May 16, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  6. Hey Joyce

Joyce. you sound mean and angry. you yell at everyone on these blogs. why? it's OK if people don't agree with you.

May 16, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  7. AA

Oh now we joke about shooting a candidate? I don't find it funny at all. Is he insane??? I guess so!! He is clearly sending a signal. If anything happens to Obama, we know where the idea came from. I just can't believe it. And people laughed at this joke???

May 16, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  8. noemi in los angeles

Bush………….
    McCain………
    Huckabee….
    Politicians without a Cause or Carisma.

Democrats 08

May 16, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  9. NY RICAN American

WOW,

Mike you are no man of GOD!, how dare you use a tasteless "joke" about gun violence toward a AA Presidential candidate.

I know what it is to lose your father to gun violence (killed in an attempted robbery in his own business) and the pain your comment would inflict on Obama and his love one especially his daughters is shameful, May God have mercy on your soul!!!!!

May 16, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  10. mary cleveland, ohio

Finally, the entire world sees Huckabee for what he is – a stupid man masquerading as a somebody.

May 16, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  11. MCcain support

Mike Huckabee you a disgrace to USA. You call yourself a pastor ?. Pastor should never say something like this. If anything happened to OBAMA you will be hold for that.
    I'm a strong christain because of this your statement I will never vote for MCcain again. You lost my vote.
    Shame on you Mike Huckabee.
    Are you doing this so you be a vice to MCcain.
    Ask GOD to forgive your sin and also call OBAMA to forgive.

May 16, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  12. TR, CT

I actually liked Sen Huckabee, not his policies but him and his comment was ridiculous and he calls himself a man of God? I have lost repsect for him now

May 16, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  13. WhoCareswhatRepublicansGuythink

Mike Huckabee is stupid this guy calls him self a former preacher is trying to send a singnal to his crazy supporters who might take this comments serious this guy is a joke trying to bring attention to him self typical reupblican.

May 16, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  14. Dori in AZ

Can't imagine that Mr. Huckabee intended any harm, but this is really an ignorant & insensitive remark. Just not funny.

Huckabee owes Sen. Obama an IMMEDIATE apology. While he's at it, he can apologize to everyone who has lost a loved one to violence, starting with a tremendous group called Parents of Murdered Children....

Not sure who they are, Mr. Huckabee? Contact me. I'll get you connected.

May 16, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  15. ASam

I am at a loss of words to describe your comment. It does not make any kind of sense at all – and you're supposed to be a governor? Heck, you even recently asked for votes to become the president? I think that you should start by, at least, pretending to be an intelligent and civil human.

May 16, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  16. wwf

There was supposed to be a joke in that statement? Ouch! Read it twice and still fail to see the humor, or even what he was talking about. Maybe I don't care. Too many other important issues to worry about. Whiskey, could not have said what you did better. I would like to thank you for all who will not see it.

May 16, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  17. Jean

Huckabee's comment is shocking!!
    Was that a Freudian slip?
    It appears the Ministers are the worst examples of barbarous language.
    Wright, Hagee and now Huckabee

May 16, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  18. Independent for Obama

That was a completely disgusting and not even remotely funny comment. If someone pointed a gun at me I would hit the floor too – even the times I've been sport shooting the number one rule is NEVER aim the gun at another person. The idea of someone being forced to dodge a bullet isn't even remotely comical – it is disturbing and unfortunate.

Would it be funny if you were joking about someone pointing a gun at current President Bush, Huckabee? No, it wouldn't be funny, and it would probably get you roughed up by the FBI and your phones would be wiretapped.

Simply DISGUSTING behavior.

May 16, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  19. Rich

I believe that Freud would cite Huckabee's joke as an example of overcompensation.

May 16, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  20. SHAWN

Where there is smoke, there is fire. This is no joke.

May 16, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  21. Scott

Clinton supporters make me SICK.

It isn't about what is best for this country, it isn't about giving us a brighter future, it is about getting YOUR candidate elected, and if she loses the nomination then vote for the other guy out of spite.

You liked Clinton for what? The issues? If that is the case then there is no way you would vote for McCain or want him in the White House.

This isn't some kind of GAME, this is the future of our country and if you are going to back the candidate who is the opposite of Clinton over the guy who is almost the same, out of spite, then you make me sick.

You shouldn't be allowed to vote.

McCain is a flip-flopper who is doing everything he can, even if it means abandoning his own opinions in favor of his party, to win their votes.

Flip flops include:

Bush Tax cuts
    Waterboarding
    gun control
    diplomacy with foreign nations.

There is video proof showing his stance has changed since he ran for President this year.

No backbone, no will of his own. He is a puppet of the party.

No business running anything.

May 16, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  22. Raoul - Lake City, SC

Pretty funny, Mike. You should take that act on the road since you've got nothing else to do.

May 16, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  23. raine169

Poor taste indeed.

May 16, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  24. Shawn, Takoma Park, MD

How "Christian."

Typical. Disgusting. Evil.

May 16, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  25. MC- Atlanta,GA

Huckabbe is a narrow minded – ancient in his thinking – bigot that clearly had no chance in hell of getting the Republican nomination. Maybe if he ran back in 1860's he would have, but even the Republican party today is progressing with modern times. You either become more progressive in your thinking or you get left behind- ask any minority.

Thank god it's not Huckabee 2008 !

May 16, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |