May 16th, 2008

Ludacris and Tommy Lee talk politics

CNN Anchor Don Lemon talks politics with Ludacris and Tommy Lee
CNN Anchor Don Lemon talks politics with Ludacris and Tommy Lee

ATLANTA (CNN) - I’m not exactly sure how it happened. But yesterday I found myself involved in an intense discussion about politics in the middle of the newsroom with…. Wait for it…. rapper Ludacris and rocker Tommy Lee. The two men were here to promote their new reality show “Battleground Earth.” In the show both artists try to out green each other while trying to coax viewers into environmental consciousness.

Out of the gate I asked about green backlash. Many people feel like this entire “going green” movement has become more marketing than reality. They agreed that while people might see it that way, it’s not necessarily so, at least in their view.

Tommy Lee admits he’s not a political junkie - he says he rarely watches television or listens to news reports. So he had no opinion on the presidential candidates’ environmental policies. In fact, he had no opinions on any of their policies. “Man, tell you the truth, I only listen to music,” he said in front of the entire room and about four cameras. He seemed sincere. I didn’t press him.

Ludacris, however, was very opinionated. He very strongly said to me, “I support Barack Obama.” He is happy with Obama’s environmental policies, and keenly aware of just how much attention this election is garnering from the American people. But when I tried to press him on other issues like race, religion and HIV in the black community, he steered the conversation back to his stance on the environment. He did promise, however, to address those issues with me in another interview at another time. Smooth. Ludacris has come a long way in a short time: from rapper to social activist to environmental cheerleader.

As he and Tommy Lee walked off, entourage and reality TV cameras in tow, I thought to myself: if someone had told me at breakfast that I’d be talking with Tommy Lee and Ludacris later in the day about the environment and politics I would have called them a liar, which just goes to show, you never know. For hanging out just a bit with music superstars, I got mad props from my colleagues here at CNN.

Filed under: Politics
  1. Jamaal Kansas

Man Obama 08 This Movement will not be stopped Not BY Bush, Mcshame Or Hillary this Movement will Be in the White House in January. Obama 08

May 16, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  2. proud army and navy mom

my daughter listens to these singers. tommie lee needs to stop drinking and read. Ludacris surprised me. He spoke quite eloquently. I was impressed with the young man. good job

May 16, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  3. theresa in Prattville, AL

So What? Obama is the President. Ludacris knows his stuff but just doesn't wish to share it at the moment. You see we like to sit back and watch how things play out. We meaning black folks. As far as Tommy Lee, hey I don't blame him one bit for not taking much time to engage in the politics. It's getting out of hand. Tommy knows who he will vote for. I like them both but are they supposed to be somebody we should respect in their political answers? Get Real.....

May 16, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  4. Blake

I am sure Lou Dobbs was giving you "mad props" Lou doesn't like anyone or give anyone a high five remember. It is extremly marketable to be against everyone.

May 16, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  5. a REAL American

Who cares? Ludacris supports Obama, what a shock!

May 16, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  6. Mike - Texas

You have got to be kidding me.

And this is news worthy why???????????????????

It must be a slow news day.

May 16, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  7. Billy From Fla

TOMMY LEE... OH MY GOD..If I were Obama I wouldn't mention
    this to anyone.

Tommy Lee is the scum of the earth. Obama has had some great
    entertainers support him, and for that he can be proud, but
    Tommy Lee..He is a disgrace to this nation.

May 16, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  8. Attorney Douglas Palaschak

Ludaris and Tommy Lee should refrain from political comment until they each finish high school.

May 16, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  9. Justo - Vancouver

Way to go LUDA....... Vancouver – CANADA for OBAMA!
    Make us proud baby...

May 16, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  10. Pat Riot

Figures that Ludacris supports Obama. Most highschool dropouts seem to. Probably because they've never read the constitution.

May 16, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  11. mitchell from arkansaw

did you burn one with 'em?

May 16, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  12. Pat Riot

Ohh and PS. Jamaal, by definition a movement stops...but a Revolution persists. There is only one candidate that has started a rEVOLution and we all know who that is.

May 16, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  13. No Way

Big deal. It is right there with Springsteen and Elton! Nothing to look at here people.

May 16, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  14. Angus McDugan

I think Obama should be bust'n a sag so this whole range of supporters can feel that Obama identifies with them.

May 16, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  15. Fred, Atlanta GA

To A real american: why is it a shock that ludacris is supporting barack oh I get it, a lot of whites feel that it's racist for a black person to support another viable black candidate for president when in fact black people have supported white candidates since day one. But no one claimed racism when whites supported their own. So your right what a SHOCK!

May 16, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  16. NC Voter

I am so happy that John Edwards will not consider the vice presidency with Obama. Edwards should also not be AG or hold any other post in an Obama administration. I supported Edwards until he withdrew after South Carolina. Edwards carries little clout in NC except with the establishment of the NC Democratic Party. He had a hard time winning the US Senate. So what does his endorsement mean in NC. NOTHING! And, yes, I am a registered Democrat.

May 16, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  17. GL

Slow day or what? Who cares what these two think. Get to some real news please.

May 16, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  18. Kevin Leo (Jonesboro, GA)

First of all, Tommy Lee did not endorse Barack – please read the blog completely!

Second, Bush hs an MBA and has been the worse president known to our counrty. So, wht is the point of putting Ludacris down for not completing high school?!

May 16, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  19. Christiane

Respect Ludacris! He is cool

May 16, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  20. z,new york, ny

And people always give rappers such a bad rap... besides after all the drugs tommy lee has been doing, how brilliant can he be? He was with Pamela Anderson too.

May 16, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  21. Jeanne

At least one of them seems to be reasonably aware of the issues.

May 16, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  22. Yes we can!

Obama/Nagel 2008/2012.....this revolution will not be stopped!

May 16, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  23. Dem in FL

Ummm...can you say DUH. Of course Ludacris supports Obama. Bet he wouldn't if Obama were a white man....Ludacris would be for Clinton. I'd bet my life savings and my house on it!

May 16, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  24. Haley Rodman Clemson

Wow, these two guys have an IQ of, like, 7?

Celebrities are not experts on politics, they only think they are. Kind of like Matthews and Olbermann.

May 16, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |