May 17th, 2008

Clinton takes on TV pundits at distillery stop in Kentucky

Sen. Clinton at Maker's Mark Distillery in Loretto, Kentucky, Saturday.
Sen. Clinton at Maker's Mark Distillery in Loretto, Kentucky, Saturday.

LORETTO, Kentucky (CNN) - Wrapping up a rally at the Maker's Mark bourbon distillery on Saturday, Hillary Clinton again argued that she leads Barack Obama in the popular vote and attacked the television "punditry" that has suggested the race is over.

"All those people on TV who are telling you and everybody else that this race is over and I should just be graceful and say, 'Oh it's over' even though I've won more votes – those are all people who have a job," Clinton told supporters picnicking in the gardens of the distillery.

"Those are all people who have health care. Those are all people who can afford to send their kids to college. Those are all people who can pay whatever is charged at the gas pump. They're not the people I'm running to be a champion for."

"They keep telling me to quit," said Clinton. "I don't know, maybe I was just raised with the kind of values you were raised [with]. You don't quit on people and you don't quit until you finish what you started and you don't quit on America."

Clinton has recently been claiming a lead over Obama in the popular vote, a debatable claim, especially because the Democratic National Committee doesn't count the votes of Florida and Michigan, which Clinton does.

Both states were disqualified by the DNC for bringing forward their primaries.

CNN's official count - including all primaries and caucuses but neither Florida nor Michigan - has Obama ahead by close to 700,000 votes.

Clinton also argues that looking at the electoral map for the general election, she has won states with more electoral votes than Obama has.

"If you look at the states [Democrats] have to win, if you look at the big states, and you look at the swing states, I am the stronger candidate," she said.

Before her rally, Clinton toured the distillery and tried her hand at sealing a bottle of Maker's Mark, donning protective gear and dipping the bottle into a vat of the famous red wax. She remarked that she didn't realize every bottle is sealed by hand.

This wasn't Clinton's first brush with whiskey on the campaign trail.

She famously took a shot of Crown Royal during a bar stop in Indiana but despite her surroundings on Saturday, she didn't indulge.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Kentucky
  1. Jagdish , Vancouver,Canada

guess she is fueled by whiskey the way she thinks and sees numbers...she will soon need more...may be Wedday morning !!

May 17, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  2. Bishop

I cannot send my children to college but I want her out of this race so our party can unite and get away from this division that the other party is feeding on. She is selfish not a champion for the party.

May 17, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  3. Ed H

Hillary Clinton is as delusional as Charles Manson if she believes the majority of Americans are fooled by the multitude of faces she wears. I am one of those Americans who needs to make changes and cut back spending just so I can get by. I have three sons, work 54 hours and I still choose to vote for Barack Obama. Why? Because I'm tired of the same old spiel, the same old Washington, and the Clinton Campaign is nothing but more of the same. Quit being fooled America. Think back on all of the great leaders, including our founding fathers, and you'll find that all were great orators and they changed the world!!

May 17, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  4. Alice

CNN: you make it sound as though counting FL and MI would give HIllary a lead in the popular vote. However, it would not. She only gets a lead in the popular vote if you count Michigan and Florida but DON'T COUNT THE 7 CAUCUS STATES.

Why do you give credibility to this crazy notion – which counts only the states of Clinton's choosing? Why don't you at least explain that it isn't simply a matter of counting MI and FL?

May 17, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  5. David from Texas

After seeing the headline, I said, "And this is news HOW?"

May 17, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  6. Charlene

Hillary needs to just leave the contest gracefully and help mend the broken Democratic Party. You have lost Hillary...it is time to GO. You have not won the most popular votes of the states that went by the rules that you agreed upon!!

It only takes a 5th grader to do the math...

May 17, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  7. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

Go ahead, Hillary, do something totally radical, like taking this thing beyond the DNC at the end of the month, then to the Credentialling Committee and convention floor to show us how overwhelmingly electable you are. Otherwise, go home June 3 and surprise Bill.

May 17, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  8. It's Over

No one is paying attention Senator Clinton. IT IS OVER. Copy that?

May 17, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  9. Rebecca

Why is Hillary still doing this and acting like she has a chance? She needs money! She is at least $20 million in debt and she hoping suckers will continue to send her money. Suckers who will donate money to a mega millionaire. What a scam.

May 17, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  10. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

the woman is a schizoid nutcase

May 17, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  11. It is Over

No one is paying attention anymore. It's over. Copy that?

May 17, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  12. Hillary

Sorry, but I just love her. She's got moxy, and I like that :)
    She would have been one of the best, if not THE best President we've ever had :)
    GO HILLARY!!!!!!!
    BO better pick her as VP. Otherwise, I fear sooooo many of her voters will go with McCain. We like the moderates!

May 17, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  13. Cathy

Hillary Clinton and the Democrats standing behind her were robbed. The DNC is not punishing the Democratic "party" by not counting Florida and Michigan – they are punishing the voters. You should have at least pushed for a revote.

Many present Democrats will go to McCain as we will no longer stay with a party that discounts our votes

May 17, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  14. foosayer

Note to Senator Clinton: We know you support the have-nots and are a fighter. But you offer no more in this regard than Senator Obama does, and it is no reason to proceed with a campaign you cannot win, and continue at the expense of your party. If you truly wanted to help your constituency, you would gracefully withdraw and not harm your party's chances. The math says so, the super delegates are saying so, many prominent people of your party are saying so.
    But instead, you pretend to pick a fight with the media for saying so, accusing them of having jobs and being able to afford gas, implying because of that, the media cannot know the needs of your constituents. Am I the only one that can't follow that logic. It seems you also have a job and never pay for gas. Yet you claim not only to speak for your constituents, you even pretend you are the only qualified person that can do so. Puhleeze.

May 17, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  15. anne in wisconsin

Only 700,000 votes separate Obama & Clinton by the estimate that is most generous to Obama, not Clinton. Let this race continue! Clinton is making history too. Let her go the distance! If Obama still comes out the winner, as expected, he'll be stronger and have more legitimacy for it!

May 17, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  16. Trenton Sims, Los Angeles

This is the BIGGEST FAIRYTALE I HAVE EVER SEEN..!!

Anyone who believes this also believes that John McCain cannot Win the Romney or Huckabee states..

LOL

May 17, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  17. Pamma

I believe Hillary should stay in. She has worked for everyone of her votes and THAT is what America likes. A worker and NOT a QUITTER.
    Pamma

May 17, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  18. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

Any of you people that don't remember gutter politics – just watch McShame work – for a reminder read the following from Phoenix and other papers

Please get the information on the pig himself.

Democrats Rock !!!!!!

May 17, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  19. Jessica, GA

If you can afford gas, health-care and college; Hillary Clinton is not your President. On the other hand, if you have the IQ of George Bush, Jobless like Mcgreevey, and approximately 250lbs; she will champion your cause.

McCain/Clinton......The real dream team.

May 17, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  20. anonymous

Hillary, I love you. Please get 50+1% in Oregon, and destroy Obama in Kentucky. Please make Mr. Dean stop running this election the way it was run in Soviet Union. WE ARE A DEMOCRATIC COUNTRY, WHY DO WE HAVE COMMUNISTIC ELECTOINS? I WANT TO HAVE A CHOICE AND CHOOSE WITHOUT HAVING MR. DEAN FORCE ME TO VOTE FOR THE ONLY CANDIDATE ON THE BALLOT–SOVIETS WERE FORCED TO VOTE FOR DICTATORS–THE ONLY ONES ON THE BALLOT. AM I MISSING SOMETHING? THIS IS VERY SAD AND IT MAKES ME AND MILLIONS OTHER PEOPLE VERY ANGRY. HOW CAN MR. DEAN FORCE ME TO FOLLOW HIS DECISION? WITH HIS POLICIES AND THE WAY HE DOES THINGS HE WOULD BE OF GREAT HELP IN RUSSIA. FORMER PRESIDENT PUTIN WHO TURNED OVER HIS SEAT TO MR. MEDVEDYEV WITHOUT ASKING PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANTED WOULD LOVE TO HAVE MR. DEAN BE HIS CLOSEST ADVISOR. IF MR. DEAN NEEDS TO WE CAN TEACH HIM HOW TO SPEAK RUSSIAN VERY QUICKLY, AND I AM SURE THAT HE DOESN'T NEED TO LEARN RUSSIAN BECAUSE DICTATORSHIP IS THE SAME IN EVERY LANGUAGE.

HILLARY PLEASE WIN TO STOP ABUSE OF AMERICAN CITIZENS WHO HAVE BEEN PROUD OF OUR COUNTRY OUR WHOLE LIFE.

P.S. OBAMA HAS VERY CLOSE RELATIONSHIP WITH COMMUNISTS–MR. FRANK MARSHALL DAVIS. NOW, I'M NOT SURPRISED WHY OBAMA DOESN'T WEAR FLAG PIN–TRUE COMMUNIST HIDING UNDER DEMOCRATIC IMAGE.

May 17, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  21. Helene

Hillary Clinton does not have more popular vote. She should gracefully concede and rally around the nominee, Obama, and campaign for his success in November.

May 17, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  22. Linda

More votes???? Come on, how can Clinton even say that with a straight face? Aren't you discounting the caucuses states by not counting them? Considering the fact that they followed the rules.......

If you count everything including FL and MI, Obama is still in the lead.

May 17, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  23. smw

I guess "I don't throw my lot in with the experts" covers mathematicians.

May 17, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  24. PF Harlock

It's far from only "All those people on TV" who are saying that Barack Obama has already won this Democratic primary race. I own a retail store and I hear it from my customers every day. It's also worth noting that many of them can't afford health care, or to send their kids to college, or pay whatever is charged at the gas pump. They're the people Hillary Clinton claims to be championing for.

The rhetoric used here by Hillary Clinton is nothing more than the same misleading garbage that sank her campaign in the first place. It' seems she just can't stop playing games a run an honest campaign.

May 17, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  25. Matt

I'm going to vote for the person who is going to be "a champion" for every American. I guess that's not Hillary...

May 17, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |