May 17th, 2008

Clinton takes on TV pundits at distillery stop in Kentucky

Sen. Clinton at Maker's Mark Distillery in Loretto, Kentucky, Saturday.
Sen. Clinton at Maker's Mark Distillery in Loretto, Kentucky, Saturday.

LORETTO, Kentucky (CNN) - Wrapping up a rally at the Maker's Mark bourbon distillery on Saturday, Hillary Clinton again argued that she leads Barack Obama in the popular vote and attacked the television "punditry" that has suggested the race is over.

"All those people on TV who are telling you and everybody else that this race is over and I should just be graceful and say, 'Oh it's over' even though I've won more votes – those are all people who have a job," Clinton told supporters picnicking in the gardens of the distillery.

"Those are all people who have health care. Those are all people who can afford to send their kids to college. Those are all people who can pay whatever is charged at the gas pump. They're not the people I'm running to be a champion for."

"They keep telling me to quit," said Clinton. "I don't know, maybe I was just raised with the kind of values you were raised [with]. You don't quit on people and you don't quit until you finish what you started and you don't quit on America."

Clinton has recently been claiming a lead over Obama in the popular vote, a debatable claim, especially because the Democratic National Committee doesn't count the votes of Florida and Michigan, which Clinton does.

Both states were disqualified by the DNC for bringing forward their primaries.

CNN's official count - including all primaries and caucuses but neither Florida nor Michigan - has Obama ahead by close to 700,000 votes.

Clinton also argues that looking at the electoral map for the general election, she has won states with more electoral votes than Obama has.

"If you look at the states [Democrats] have to win, if you look at the big states, and you look at the swing states, I am the stronger candidate," she said.

Before her rally, Clinton toured the distillery and tried her hand at sealing a bottle of Maker's Mark, donning protective gear and dipping the bottle into a vat of the famous red wax. She remarked that she didn't realize every bottle is sealed by hand.

This wasn't Clinton's first brush with whiskey on the campaign trail.

She famously took a shot of Crown Royal during a bar stop in Indiana but despite her surroundings on Saturday, she didn't indulge.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Kentucky
  1. Darryl

If Hillary Clinton believes it, we know that she have a problem with numbers and managment of them as her how much debt she have and how many favors she owes?

May 17, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  2. MP

Hillary don't ever let them wear you down! You are a WINNER and TRUE AMERICAN! Their trying to push you out because YOU, your knowledge and your commitment to this country, frighten the nay sayers. They want this to be a cake walk for Obama so he won't trip up somewhere, and if you are out of the way democrats will have no choice but to vote for Obama! Just like the Republicans are stuck with McCain. What's the big rush for you to get out of the race? If you ask me, the democrats have had more publicity and following than they ever had because of this election. They should be thanking you!

Hillary don't drop out of the race! Most of us do NOT want to be stuck voting for Obama because we have NO other choice! If you drop out then we will be just like the republicans, voting for a candidate, or sitting home in Nov. because we have a "no other option" candidate on the ticket.

May 17, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  3. Karen Johnson

"Those are all people who have health care. Those are all people who can afford to send their kids to college. Those are all people who can pay whatever is charged at the gas pump. "

Wrong on all counts, but what's new. (Gee Hill, you forgot to say that we are all non-whites & lazy too.)

May 17, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  4. Mary - PA

The fuzzy math is getting old. If Obama had been on the ballot in Michigan she would not be ahead. If the vote tallies had been recorded in all of the caucauses she would not be ahead. Stop making things up to make yourself into something that your not. Remember Bosnia?

May 17, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  5. hrg

Knowing when to quit in a futile attempt to achieve a goal is something it seems that Hillary never learned. She also never learned how to be gracious, take the high road or sacrifice for the greater good. Her tenacity, perserverance, "fight" are signs of nacrcissism at this point.

If the Dems lose the White House, she won't be entirely to blame but she'll have a big part of it!!! Get on board with Obama already!!

From a middle-aged white woman who always supported Obama...

May 17, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  6. Ohio-Jan

Dang, Hillary! Drinkin' AGAIN? Have one for me!

May 17, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  7. LA

Is it just me or is HIllary always drinking? (The vodka drinking contest with John McCain and the 'drinking with the common people' episodes throughout this campain).

May 17, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  8. Emanuel

Go Hillary! The harder the media pushes you to quit, the harder I support you

May 17, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  9. sue suttles

It a shame when we haft to watch every thing we say because if wesay the wrong thing we are racical. but it okay to run a woman down and ruin her name .the media has ruin HILLARY . i would never vote for Obama . I do not trust him . he not strong he weak he prove that ever time like the rev wright thing he take a vacation he cannot take pressure . Hillary STRONG , she prove that she a fighter the media the reps and her own party . Sure Obama make a good speech But does it feed you gave you health care lower gas pricer protect you . Hillary care about you . This is one woman that will not vote for Obama . missouri for Hillary.

May 17, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  10. Steve Klein

What a joke for Hillary Clinton to claim the lead in the popular vote. She excludes the people who attended caucuses to "vote," where Obama has a winning margin of around 800,00. I thought she wanted everyone's vote to count. Then she includes Michigan and Florida. Even if you humor her and give her the Florida votes, there is no way to give her the Michigan votes...Obama's name wasn't even on the ballot. Even when her name was essentially the only one on the ballot, she could only get 55% of the vote. If she is going to try to count Michigan, she would have to throw her case in with Russia and Cuba, where only one name appears on the ballot. Has she sunk that low?
    Come on, its over. She is showing signs of submission. She is only clinging to this popular vote theory, which smacks of Bill's thinking. Someday someone will have to remind Bill and Hillary that the precious 90s that they love to brag about saw the Democrats lose the House and Senate and most state houses and governors. They will have to remind them that because of Bill's tryst with Monica, he was impeached, perhaps wrongfully, but it brought great shame to Clinton supporters like me, that he had sex with a White House intern in the Oval Office, and then lied to it to a Federal Grand Jury, and to the entire country. What kind of image was that to set for our children? It might not have been proper to throw him out of the White House, but he should never be allowed in again. And then he wrote a book about Giving, promoted it during Hillary's campaign, only for us to find out he made nearly 120 million dollars in the seven years since he left the White House. Some "giving." Some act of charity.
    The Clintons should give it up now, and if she gets a job in the Administration, it should never allow Bill access to the White House.

May 17, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  11. Jonathan Lawson

Regarding the votes ... OK, maybe she can legitimately count Florida because both candidates were on the ballot (I think it was too late to remove themselves) and neither campaigned there. But Obama was not on the ballot in Michigan, and according to the rules that Senator Clinton supported, at least then, she should not have been either. It just shows how desperate Clinton is, and what she will do to win, when she wants to count all of her votes in an election where she should not even have been on the ballot. Does she really think she would have more votes if Senator Obama had been on the ballot in Michigan?

May 17, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  12. Hillary Supporter

May 17, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  13. Allison Marie

Hillary is the nominee...............yeah..........................

On the way to the White House!!!!

Clinton all the way!!

Go Hillary Go!!

May 17, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  14. Hillary or Obama

I am a hillary supporter, but looking into all the conditions, and the delegate counts, and all that, I agree that Sen. Clinton has no chance of taking the lead in the pleged delegate even if MI & FL are counted. Ofcourse, she is a very good candidate, but I will vote for Obama if he's the nominee. I will take advice of Sen. Clinton that Obama is much better choice than McCain. I wont be foolish enough to vote for McCain, because I understand that a vote for McCain is a vote for a 3rd term of Bush. Obama is a much better choice, even my choice (Sen. Clinton) said that on CNN. So, if Obama is the nominee, I will back him. It's a shame that people like Rove talk about Obama (a democrat), in a wrong way. I think media should not give too much attention to people like Rove, because they're just there to divide the country further and in the end, we all lose as Americans. We need a democrat in the white house in November. I urge all Hillary supporters like myself to vote for Sen. Obama in November if he's the nominee, and similarly if Sen. Clinton is the nominee, I hope Obama supporters back her. If not, it's not a loss for Sen. Clinton or Sen. Obama, it's a loss for Democrats, and it's a loss for Every American to have a 3rd term of BUSH. Democrat 2008

May 17, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  15. New Math

Is this the count of Obama's delegates that gives him 0 for MI? I'm pretty sure somebody wanted to vote for him in MI, but they didn't get the chance.

Because he wasn't on the ballot.

Because the Big Three Dems all agreed to remove their names from the ballot prior to the primary.

Two of the three did. Strange, you ask? Yes.

I wonder if Clinton was planning to use those votes like she is now.

But she wasn't. She was thinking she would have the nomination by Super Tuesday.

Well, it took a few more Tuesdays, and now Obama is going to have it, whatever way you count FL and MI. Even if you give Clinton and Obama the delegates exactly as they were voted, he's still ahead by 50+ delegates heading into the last 5 primaries, 3 of which he should win and a 4th that he might win.

May 17, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  16. Dale

Well, that was a mistake – could drink Canadian Crown Royal earlier in the campaign, but now can't stomach drinking one of the best known exports of Kentucky. Of course, she took a lot of heat for that earlier publicity stunt and she may not have even been given a chance to sample the product, but someone could have at least had her point out that another drink would get her "in trouble with the press" instead of just ignoring it. Missed chance there for Hillary. Now watch people jump on it as her being "elitist" or such.

Also missed chance to remark on the NRA convention just a stone's toss away in Louisville, which is shaping up more like some type of Republican "whine" and cheese party than dealing with legit issues facing the group (some Republicans and some NRA members must be feeling a bit ashame about the ugly rhetorics going on there). It makes it look like her visit to Kentucky was only there to push forth the idea that she really is only interested in the "Booze, Guns and God" vote.

Could have made more out of this, Hillary, than just another photo-op. Oh well.

May 17, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  17. Carol

" those are all people who have a job," Clinton told supporters picnicking in the gardens of the distillery.

First off Hillary, I no longer have a job, or health care, my daughter is going to college on scholarships and her job, and I no longer can afford a car let alone gas and I'm voting for someone who's been in my shoes, Barack Obama not someone who has never worried about money or healthcare and who had her father write a check for her education – Thank You

May 17, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  18. Marc

Sooo... only poor, uneducated, out-of-work white people are worth her time? Why should the rest (read: majority) of Americans carea about her, then? Somehow I don't think turning into the polar opposite of an "elitist" is a solution to that whole issue.

Oh well. She's only still in it to negotiate fundraising in order to bring herself out of the financial hole she's in. If her campaign were actualy solvent, she would've dropped out by now.

May 17, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  19. Kalu Walter

Clinton should not quit until the game is over.You don't stop in the middle of an interesting match because your opponents are already celebrating their win.Even though this may be the closest either candidate may ever come in becoming an American president,history will always remember their strength ,in the midst of compelling odds ,sex for HRC and race for Obama.

May 17, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  20. v.ananthan

Voters are getting to know Obama better now…..

Hillary is definitely the best candidate to solve the problems, to unite the country and to treat every american with dignity and respect… …

I hope Hillary can win all the remainning states and some with very big margins because The Democratic Party's Rules and Bylaws Committee needs to hear a clear message from the voters…..

-Hillary 08.

May 17, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  21. Tony

I really admire Mrs Clinton and remember what her husband did for this nation during his terms. When she claims her experience and now that she leads in the popular vote it reminds me of Pres. Reagan's voodo economics. Remember his trickle down effect. Now considering her recent track record of stretching the actual data to promote her data (a.k.a. lying about Bosnia gunfire). I would think she wouldn't do that anymore. The truth is very easy to find out as well to determine. I don't blame her though, I just think the people who claim to be running her campaign is doing a shotty job. I think she should stay in the race, it only have less than 3 weeks left. Now, is she loses she need to campaign just as hard as well as long for the nominee, Mr. Obama and unify the party because her staying in, being objective as I possibly can has done the party damage. I support Mrs. Clinton. Her campaign was far dirtier than Obama granted, it is politics. Now she is going all the way to the end. No problem whoever losses needs to campaign for the other. Now if she really loves the party and I feel she do. She has to bring back those who claim here will vote Mccain. She needs to at the minimum stop that. Now if she commits to that, I will be proud to say I voted for her 2 years from now. If not, I will be ashamed for my vote for her like many americans are for voting for Mr Bush the 1st and 2nd time.

May 17, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  22. jogby1

Go Hillary go! We support you 100%. You have the popular votes and Obama stole Michigan and Florida boost from you. If they had counted when you won, you would be the nominee by now, but they not only not counting those two states, they also took the momentum that would have come with it. YOu the best candidate there. I think you shoule run independent and still win the election.

May 17, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  23. carolinas

Yes,,DNC is right and Hillary is not leading in any type of votes. She is a lier, manipulative, and very untrustworthy candidate..." UNFIT TO BE PRESIDENT " of America...QUIT hillary..

OBAMA 2008.

May 17, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  24. Sarah

You messed up Hillary. Those good ole boys in Kentucky expected you to take a shot of their whiskey "like a man." Don't you realize the same folks who vote for you because they won't vote for a "black" Man (biracial is the proper term. He is half white after all) are chauvinists who won't vote for a woman either come November?

May 17, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  25. victoria

I was a big supporter of Hilary until she decided that it was okay to change the rules whenever it fits. First it was Florida and Michigan. Now she is changing how we count the popular vote! Isn't this the same woman who wrote that it takes a village to raise a child. I guess she wants to teach America's children that it's okay to break the rules if it will get you what you want.

May 17, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |