May 17th, 2008

Clinton takes on TV pundits at distillery stop in Kentucky

Sen. Clinton at Maker's Mark Distillery in Loretto, Kentucky, Saturday.
Sen. Clinton at Maker's Mark Distillery in Loretto, Kentucky, Saturday.

LORETTO, Kentucky (CNN) - Wrapping up a rally at the Maker's Mark bourbon distillery on Saturday, Hillary Clinton again argued that she leads Barack Obama in the popular vote and attacked the television "punditry" that has suggested the race is over.

"All those people on TV who are telling you and everybody else that this race is over and I should just be graceful and say, 'Oh it's over' even though I've won more votes – those are all people who have a job," Clinton told supporters picnicking in the gardens of the distillery.

"Those are all people who have health care. Those are all people who can afford to send their kids to college. Those are all people who can pay whatever is charged at the gas pump. They're not the people I'm running to be a champion for."

"They keep telling me to quit," said Clinton. "I don't know, maybe I was just raised with the kind of values you were raised [with]. You don't quit on people and you don't quit until you finish what you started and you don't quit on America."

Clinton has recently been claiming a lead over Obama in the popular vote, a debatable claim, especially because the Democratic National Committee doesn't count the votes of Florida and Michigan, which Clinton does.

Both states were disqualified by the DNC for bringing forward their primaries.

CNN's official count - including all primaries and caucuses but neither Florida nor Michigan - has Obama ahead by close to 700,000 votes.

Clinton also argues that looking at the electoral map for the general election, she has won states with more electoral votes than Obama has.

"If you look at the states [Democrats] have to win, if you look at the big states, and you look at the swing states, I am the stronger candidate," she said.

Before her rally, Clinton toured the distillery and tried her hand at sealing a bottle of Maker's Mark, donning protective gear and dipping the bottle into a vat of the famous red wax. She remarked that she didn't realize every bottle is sealed by hand.

This wasn't Clinton's first brush with whiskey on the campaign trail.

She famously took a shot of Crown Royal during a bar stop in Indiana but despite her surroundings on Saturday, she didn't indulge.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Kentucky
  1. Chelsea

Looks like Hillary is day dreaming. The reality of this presidential race has eluded her. Bill should tell her it's OVER!

May 17, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  2. I used to be a Democrat

Well, as good as Maker's Mark is, I would have chosen Crown too.

May 17, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  3. Gail

This is why I am finished with Hillary. Anyone who can keep saying they are ahead in the popular vote by using contest that are void, is not fit to be President of this great country.

I will be so glad when June 3rd comes around... The lady in the pantsuit needs to be escorted off the stage.

May 17, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  4. Asa For Hillary!!!!!

It is not over and when Clinton comes out as the winner dont say i didnt tell you so!! and ps: PLEASE DONT GO CRYING ABOUT IT AND TRY TO MAKE IT SEEM UNFAIR CLINTON 08

May 17, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  5. Jacque Bauer

When can we all be rid of this pathetic "cling-on" space creature who, sadly, is desperately trying to hold on to any morsel of relevance despite the roaring laughter in the background?

May 17, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  6. Anonymous

Hillary, you forgot to include the "if you count MI and FL as I do" clause – which you used the last time you tried your fuzzy math on the populace.

Which means that not only should MI and FL count, but they should count AS YOU DO. In other words, you allocate 50%+ of the vote from MI to yourself, and 0% to Obama.

Then to top it off, you exclude all the voters from states with caucuses.

Hills dear, if you selectively pick those places that favor you and exclude those that don't, even Mike Gravel could come up with a count where he's won more votes than you.

Maybe you should have accepted that shot of bourbon after all. You'd at least be able to blame your reasoning on the alcohol.

May 17, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  7. mike l

Poor Hillary, they don't serve Crown Royal at a bourbon distillery. While trying to make herself look like a regular guy, she showed how much an elitist she is. C'mon, who orders a shot and a beer with Crown Royal? Jack Daniels, Schenley, even Canadian Club, but top shelf whiskey out of a velvet bag? Gimme a break.

May 17, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  8. Chris

Then to top it off, you exclude all the voters from states with caucuses.

May 17, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  9. Michigan

I quess it should of been Canadian, gotta support NAFTA ya know

May 17, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  10. Frank, MO

Won more votes ? Is she talking about the same primaries ?

May 17, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  11. jefferson roger

i think the fight is over for the clintons........she should end the negative campaign for the sake of the party. we all defended bill during the the impeachment. ...............they seems shameless to me
    insighting racial tension is not a way out.

May 17, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  12. AnAmerican

Perhaps it would be a prudent for her to explicitly back-up these claims with numbers. State by state by state. Primaries and caucuses alike. Oh, one more thing. I hope she is talking about valid (DNC-recognized) votes.

Who knows, maybe the rest of us got it all wrong.

This Clinton is beginning to look like a fool.

May 17, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  13. Sam

And there you have it folks-
    She is living in a fairy tale–and it is clear that
    the Clinton's intend on dividing the party-

May 17, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  14. Matthew in San Francisco

I totally agree with Hillary. A quitter never wins and a winner never quits. Stay in until the convention.

Who knows who else Obama is going to offend and belittle? bitter gun owners clinging to religion, typical white people.

Who knows what shady folks will turn up in his past? Rev. Wright, Tony Rezko?

Who knows when people are going to realize he is twisting words, telling half truths, giving hype instead of hope and hypocritically playing old politics?

I guess that's now.

May 17, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  15. Dee Davis

Keep campaigning Hillary! I think it is a sin that Obama is trying to make you invisible by only dealing with McCain and by holding his delegates until it is convenient to acknowledge them such as John Edwards. He accomplished what he wanted by hogging the media over your win but he has a lot of things against him. His pastor, his flag pin, his "eliteness", his so called friends who hate America. If he does manage to win it is because most of the media has treated him as a "darling" and carried him around on "the pillow". How can anyone who is in government, such as the Senators and the Super Delegates honestly vote for him without even looking at his background or his wife's. There is just a feeling that they are trying to push him into the Presidency no matter what the public wants. I don't think the public chooses the President, they are only allowed to vote for whoever the government pushes in front of them. This country is in a sorry state. I am a registered Democrat but from now on I will go to being an Independant for sure.

May 17, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  16. mjc

clinton leads in the popular vote of all votes cast. all votes should and do count in the eyes of the people. what happened last time we ignored the winner of the popular vote? year 2000. remember that? forget those silly caucuses – clinton is the only one who can win in the fall. the gop is holding out on what they have that will sink obama for the fall. obama is doomed.

hillary 08.

May 17, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  17. Charlotte

Write in Hillary Clinton in November. We don't have to accept the democrat the DNC choses for us, we still have a choice until after the general election in November.

May 17, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  18. scorpi2000

ITS TIME FOR ALL DEMOCRATS TO COME TOGETHER, WE STILL HAVE TO TAKE ON THE REPUBLICAN CANDIDATE

By scorpi2000 – Apr 2nd, 2008 at 9:44 pm EDT

First of all I was a proud Bill Clinton supporter and wished he could have served another term. Regaurdless of any of his faults or short comings , he and his administration successfully lead or country forward, leaving us better off. At the time I felt he was the best choice for the future of our country. I was very willing to vote for Hillary, eager at the chance to have the Clinton element in charge again.

Then came Barack Obama, clearly impressing me as the best candidate for the future. Definatly not because he was black, but because he portrayed an intilect and personality that I saw as being racialy neutral. Capable of truely representing all Americans without bias . Willing and capable of taking on the challenge of leading our country to a better place.

Whom ever wins the democratic nomination will have to take on the republicans. Even though this is a race to see who is going to represent the democrates , in the end that person is going to need all the help and support from the democratic party to win against the republican candidate.We dont want to give them more ammunition . You know there going to throw everything at us, including that which were throwing at ourselves.

Imagine if both candidates made a truce today , to never do or say anything to damage the others image , knowing in the end the loser will embrace the winner, join forces, followers and all, and truely take on positive change for the future of all Americans as a harmonious team.

Everyone on the team bringing to the table thier special individual talents, expertise, and connections, purposly leaving ego's and infighting out of the equation. With the large following that both of them have, its clear to me that if this phenomina emerges into one unified group it would create the largest political force I have ever seen. Capable of manifesting real positive change in a short amount of time.

I truely believe that if Barack was the loser , he would have no problem bringing everything he could to help the bigger cause. He is already showing that wisdom and forsight. Its a shame that he's being forced to defend himself from negative attacks from Hillary, who clearly wants to be the Dem Presidential candidate at all cost. Aware of, and not carring that she alienates and chase away Dem. supporters. Its like she's going after him kamikazi style, If I dont win, I'm going to make sure you don't win either.

I truely hope my calculations are wrong, but when I reverse anylize the Clintons actions, I keep coming up with the conclusion that they are not just trying to be the Dems. Presidential candidate but are also trying to sabitage Baracks chances of being elected President of the United States.

I don't know if it's possible, but I wish somone would talk to the Clintons and covince them to make a concerted effort to undue the negative character attacks on Barack and unselfishly bring the good that I know they have to the big picture for the good of us all.

Thanks

SCORPI2000

May 17, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  19. Ed NJ

Well, we know now that Hillary accepts defeat if she turns down an opportunity to take a drink.

May 17, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  20. James Gilson

Clinton says that she can do this and that as president. I think that she has her wires crossed. The president does not make law and that is what she is saying she will do. The senate makes the law and that is where she and the other two come from. I have one simple question, if they can do this as president, why can't they do it in the senate?

We really need a qualified candidate on both sides. This country is in bad shape for leadership.

May 17, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  21. Jeff

Hillary's the best.

I hope enough people realize this soon enough.

Go Hillary.

'08.

May 17, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  22. Winfred

Why has Hiltary Clintion not dropped out of the race? Why did she ignore the mathematical race? I say "IT IS OVER" Obama will be the democrat nominatee. By the way, I think is a good idea if she is running for vice-president.

OBAMA 08

May 17, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  23. Sue, Bloomington, IN

Whiskey has to be the reason Hillary can't see the writing on the wall. She is NOT ahead in the popular vote. You cannot count Michigan–to think you can is beyond ridiculous. To say "I get all the votes and Obama doesn't get any because he stuck to the rules and took his name off the ballot–bizarre!! Any other politician would have dropped out by now simply to stop taking money from her supporters under false pretenses. Have you checked out the late night shows? The big joke is how she doesn't know it's over. What a sad way for a once respected politician to end up–as a joke.

May 17, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  24. Darnell

It amazes me that a person who writes rules and laws to govern other people won't respect the rules and laws of the DNC. What good is it to make rules if you'll not abide.
    If the DNC rules had stated that, in order to win the Primary or in order to win the nomination, you would have to win the most electoral votes, I am sure that Sen. Obama would have planned their campaign a different way and I'm sure they would have focus more and won those "blue collar and swing states"
    If the DNC allow Michigan and florida votes to be counted and the deligates seated, then during the next democratic primary, if a state decides it wants to vote early it can.

May 17, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  25. Realistic

Hillary can stay in as long as she wants for all I care, but mathematically she is for all practical purposes eliminated.

I think the good thing is that America is finally seeing the "real" Clintons and their mindless poorly-educated sycophant followers for what they are - the charactature on Saturday Night Live about Hillary being effective as satire primarily because it was true.

May 17, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |