May 17th, 2008

Clinton takes on TV pundits at distillery stop in Kentucky

Sen. Clinton at Maker's Mark Distillery in Loretto, Kentucky, Saturday.
Sen. Clinton at Maker's Mark Distillery in Loretto, Kentucky, Saturday.

LORETTO, Kentucky (CNN) - Wrapping up a rally at the Maker's Mark bourbon distillery on Saturday, Hillary Clinton again argued that she leads Barack Obama in the popular vote and attacked the television "punditry" that has suggested the race is over.

"All those people on TV who are telling you and everybody else that this race is over and I should just be graceful and say, 'Oh it's over' even though I've won more votes – those are all people who have a job," Clinton told supporters picnicking in the gardens of the distillery.

"Those are all people who have health care. Those are all people who can afford to send their kids to college. Those are all people who can pay whatever is charged at the gas pump. They're not the people I'm running to be a champion for."

"They keep telling me to quit," said Clinton. "I don't know, maybe I was just raised with the kind of values you were raised [with]. You don't quit on people and you don't quit until you finish what you started and you don't quit on America."

Clinton has recently been claiming a lead over Obama in the popular vote, a debatable claim, especially because the Democratic National Committee doesn't count the votes of Florida and Michigan, which Clinton does.

Both states were disqualified by the DNC for bringing forward their primaries.

CNN's official count - including all primaries and caucuses but neither Florida nor Michigan - has Obama ahead by close to 700,000 votes.

Clinton also argues that looking at the electoral map for the general election, she has won states with more electoral votes than Obama has.

"If you look at the states [Democrats] have to win, if you look at the big states, and you look at the swing states, I am the stronger candidate," she said.

Before her rally, Clinton toured the distillery and tried her hand at sealing a bottle of Maker's Mark, donning protective gear and dipping the bottle into a vat of the famous red wax. She remarked that she didn't realize every bottle is sealed by hand.

This wasn't Clinton's first brush with whiskey on the campaign trail.

She famously took a shot of Crown Royal during a bar stop in Indiana but despite her surroundings on Saturday, she didn't indulge.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Kentucky
  1. Mary

Is Hillary an alcoholic???

Once reality hits Hillary, she will want to drown it out by chugging down the whole bottle of Whiskey.

You know, just like when she was unable to get us Universal health Care in the '90s.

Hillary voted with Bush for the Iraq and just months ago the Iran vote. She doesn't learn.

I guess she must have started those bad drinking habits once she found out that Bill was a womanizer and adulterer.

May 17, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  2. Anonymous

That's right, it is not over until it's over.
    We have to move on in life no matter what.
    If she feels she still can win this race, lets go then.
    They said the "T

May 17, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  3. E.Frank MD

Hillary's open deception regarding her alleged lead in popular votes, as she has been bullet-dodging so many other accusations of untruths, clearly predicts a dangerous politician following in the footsteps of our current president. Hillary is more than likely to find intelligence validating a WMD in Iran aimed directly at Tel Aviv that is about to be launched so how could we blame her for a preemptive strike?

Deja vu all over again. She is clearly prepared to deny reality when it suits her needs, as she chose to do regarding Bill's history of sexual indiscretions: as a couple they were partners in crime. More dangerously, she is now partnering with the voting public to avoid dangerous realities until the day when the piper must be paid.

May 17, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  4. tony

Her last claim can only be that she, her husband, her daughter, and all the misfits that voted for her votes count more than the average voter maybe like two to one or something.

It is a shame that in this day and time misfit so-called Americans using their ignorance as a shield and megaphones to curse the world with their stupidity.

May 17, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  5. AnAmerican

Perhaps it would be a prudent for her to explicitly back-up these claims with numbers. State by state by state. Primaries and caucuses alike. Oh, one more thing. I hope she is talking about valid (DNC-recognized) votes.

Who knows, maybe the rest of us got it all wrong.

Lady is beginning to look like a fool.

It seems that no too long ago she was a proponent of the nomination being decided by the Supers. Any idea what happen to this concept?

May 17, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  6. Relle Boston

She realizes the end is near and she can not cope with the end result. Some times you should know when to quit. She wants the simpothy vote. I am a woman and I can see that. Being a fighter is good, but some fighters know when it is time to throw in the towel.

May 17, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  7. Jane

In an election this close, the DNC should count every vote in EVERY state. It is ludicrous not to. Both candidates played by the same rules, but one got more votes. If Obama did not put his name on the ballot in Michigan, it was because he knew he would not win. We all know that.
    Sen. Clinton's by far the most qualified candidate, and we all know that too.

May 17, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  8. Dan, TX

Hillary should stay in until all the after MT and SD.

May 17, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  9. C-Lo in Texas, Obama 08

Hillary is making herself out to be an idiot. When she says all, she makes like the only people who are against her are rich. I am not rich, I can't afford the gas prices, I can't send my children to college, yet I believe that Obama is the person who will turn this economy around and make some of my dreams come true. Hillary not everyone is rich and educated that is voting for Obama. I have spent two years at Texas Tech and I have not recieved a degree yet, someday I will. Why do I have to be a college graduate to support Obama. YOU ARE AN IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is why you should wait and stay in the race so that you can get dusted.

May 17, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  10. JEFF

Its time for her to get out . If its over is over.Wake up lady I don't think you're bad in math, you just in denial I would do the same if I was you. We all want to win but as good competetor its time to accept defeat AND MOVE ON

May 17, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  11. Relle Boston

May 17, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  12. Mike from New York

I don't know Hillary. I can't afford college so I'm 50,000 dollars in debt and can't afford the price at the pump and I still think you should drop out. Hmmmm. Conundrum?

May 17, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  13. Charlotte

Go Hillary, we need you. I will write Hillary Clinton on my ballot in November, regardless of the request she might make to unify the party. I cannot vote for Obama and I don't want to vote for McCain. I don't care if my vote is worth zero, at least it will be my choice. The DNC will not tell me, I have to vote for Obama. The Old Boys club will not get this sweeties vote in November

May 17, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  14. independant chris

Now that I know this is all theatre with various end-goals (whatever they might be), I'm starting to enjoy it.

May 17, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  15. THE TRUTH

I think Hillary is disillusioned. She is really hallucinating. she's ready to say just anything whether sensible or not. Now she's claimimg to be fighting for some sections of the country, and not all anymore. This is appaling.
    The truth is HILLARY NEEDS TO GO HOME AND REST. She fought, she lost, now It's time for her to GOOOOOOOOO AWAY.
    Can the superdelegates come out and do the right thing right now, and stop all this confusion she wants to bring up.

May 17, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  16. Ann Chestnut

Hillary C. is really the best all-round candidate for Pres. among the three : C., McC., O . She can win the natl. election over Rep. McCain. O. is inexperienced. McC., I am sorry to say because I am
    one year older and a Republican, does not have nearly the sharpness or energy that he used to. We need an electable Dem. candidate Io vote for. Our nation needs Hillary Clinton as President.

May 17, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  17. susie

Hillary go as an Independent!! Leave the Democratic Party like a lot of us are doing.

May 17, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  18. LOOK BYOND

THE RACE IS NOT TO THE SWIFT...........................................

She has the right to stay on, no matter what.
    I guess that's the right attitude. If she can pull this one off, Well, my heart goes to her. She is determined to fight on.

But, I was really curious and dismay with the statement she made about her running for office for the sake of the poor and low income people.
    When did the Clintons after making $109. million starts to care about the poor and low income voters.

Wow.......................... It's amazing.

May 17, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  19. Mauricio Galvao Anderson

thank god she didnt stop at Jack Daniel´s. Lucky us, ´cause if she did , I wouldnt sip it anymore. Hillary haunts a whole nation. Go away!

May 17, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  20. Independent

And the media said nothing to correct her -again. The story of her having the most votes only works if you don't consider Obama wasn't on the Michigan ballot and she doesn't count votes from some of the Caucus states. Come on now – the media must correct her now and not allow the spin. Do some real work CNN.

May 17, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  21. Charlotte

ps..She wasn't drinking, she made a campaign stop at a brewery..

May 17, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  22. leading among who? where? when?

a mastery of denial! that's no better than Bush! she is a SORE LOOSER!!!!

May 17, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  23. Melanie

Why is Hillary blaming her problems on everyone else. She is counting votes that didn't count and votes she signed a pledge stating they wouldn't count. I'm not sure how the media is responsible for her signing a pledge. I understand them stating the obvious, that she did make a commitment to honor the DNC punishment to Fl & MI. As far as her being mad at the media for telling her to get out and it's somehow their fault she is $20M in debt, behind in popular votes, pledge delegates, super delegates, and states won I don't see. She has a right to stay in and people have a right to vote for her, but the media has a right to investigate or vet what going on with her. I guess my lack of understanding is because I'm educated, not white, and definitely not hard working. So I couldn't possibly understand her.

May 17, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  24. JacknJill

The Fat Lady is singing, Hillary!
    Stop the rhetoric and pandering long enough and you'd actually hear her.
    You have driven a big knife into the heart of the Democratic Party and a big wedge between the blacks and the whites across this country.
    It's time to get OUT and let us heal and unite!
    Anybody But Clinton!

May 17, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  25. Ruth

Wow, Hillary and her traveling Saudi Chief of Staff Huma need to stop spending money on their extended "2008" spring break road trip and get back to Washington and do the job elected to do...be one of two Senators of our great state of New York!

May 17, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |