May 17th, 2008

Clinton takes on TV pundits at distillery stop in Kentucky

Sen. Clinton at Maker's Mark Distillery in Loretto, Kentucky, Saturday.
Sen. Clinton at Maker's Mark Distillery in Loretto, Kentucky, Saturday.

LORETTO, Kentucky (CNN) - Wrapping up a rally at the Maker's Mark bourbon distillery on Saturday, Hillary Clinton again argued that she leads Barack Obama in the popular vote and attacked the television "punditry" that has suggested the race is over.

"All those people on TV who are telling you and everybody else that this race is over and I should just be graceful and say, 'Oh it's over' even though I've won more votes – those are all people who have a job," Clinton told supporters picnicking in the gardens of the distillery.

"Those are all people who have health care. Those are all people who can afford to send their kids to college. Those are all people who can pay whatever is charged at the gas pump. They're not the people I'm running to be a champion for."

"They keep telling me to quit," said Clinton. "I don't know, maybe I was just raised with the kind of values you were raised [with]. You don't quit on people and you don't quit until you finish what you started and you don't quit on America."

Clinton has recently been claiming a lead over Obama in the popular vote, a debatable claim, especially because the Democratic National Committee doesn't count the votes of Florida and Michigan, which Clinton does.

Both states were disqualified by the DNC for bringing forward their primaries.

CNN's official count - including all primaries and caucuses but neither Florida nor Michigan - has Obama ahead by close to 700,000 votes.

Clinton also argues that looking at the electoral map for the general election, she has won states with more electoral votes than Obama has.

"If you look at the states [Democrats] have to win, if you look at the big states, and you look at the swing states, I am the stronger candidate," she said.

Before her rally, Clinton toured the distillery and tried her hand at sealing a bottle of Maker's Mark, donning protective gear and dipping the bottle into a vat of the famous red wax. She remarked that she didn't realize every bottle is sealed by hand.

This wasn't Clinton's first brush with whiskey on the campaign trail.

She famously took a shot of Crown Royal during a bar stop in Indiana but despite her surroundings on Saturday, she didn't indulge.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Kentucky
  1. john

FOOLS FOR HILLARY....you can't hide her losing lying eyes...lol

May 17, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  2. Eric ( Minnesota)

Charlotte, go ahead and write in Hillary in the general election. Then, when McInsane wins and appoints judges to the supreme court to overturn Roe v. Wade, you will have nobody to blame but yourselves. All of the women that support Hillary need to get a clue. Most of them say they will vote for McInsane in the fall election. My question is why? They have absolutely nothing in common, except for the fact they are both white. Call me crazy, but I guess I dont see the point in voting for somebody in the general election that has completely different views than the person they voted for in the primary. Clinton started out with more money, more prominent people in the party backing her, and the fact everybody thought she was inevitable. So, why couldnt she close the deal. She started ahead on her name alone. The answer is she ran a horrible campaign. If she had better people running her campaign she probably wouldve beaten Obama. So, all of her supporters have nobody to be mad at except.......Hillary!!!!

May 17, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  3. caleb

McCain will win in a landslide no mater what... the only thing better would be another 8 years of Bush!

The president has to know that Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is the next Hitler only worse... he is a suicidal terrorist with nuclear weapons whose religious beliefs involve the slaughter of as many Christians and Jews as possible.

Obama clearly doesn't understand this. So you have to question his Christianity and his love for America. If I am wrong about this I am deeply sorry to Obama and his supporters, but he has done nothing to make me feel differently.

We need a president that is fully aware of our world's situation and we can not have any questions about their stance on the most critical of all issues.

McCain 08'

May 17, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  4. ellianna

Well, the person I choose to be president of the United States will NOT look upon the RICH – VS the POOR, but rather, be a person that will WORK FOR EVERY AMERICAN!! Seems to me her remarks here concerning those TV personnel who have all of the "perks" could get her in further trouble!! THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES WORKS FOR THE GOOD OF EVERY PERSON IN AMERICA!! IT MATTERS NOT WHERE THEY LIVE, WHERE THEY WORK, OR THE ADVANTANGES OR DISADVANTAGES THEY HAVE LIVING IN THE USA!! COME ON HILLARY!! GET WITH THE PROGRAM!!

May 17, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  5. one black panther

the revolution is coming!

May 17, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  6. reality check

If you vote for a republican just because hillary didn't win you are not a demacrat, so go change your voter registration! that makes you a petty sellout! All this talk about swing states is bullsh!t, the polital map can be changed different years different states will be swing states. you people talk about certain states like they are the only states that matter. Barack Obama will win both the nomination and in the general election. If you are really a dem that cares about the poor, ending the war, taking tax cuts away from the rich and improving helth care and the school system, you would be 100% behind the dem nominee!
    if your not you are a complete sell out, your selling out your own believes!

May 17, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  7. Carol from Kentucky

I'm for Obama but we've got to talk him out of bringing the troops home from Iraq-–if he does, Al Qaeda will be following right behind them and we'll have terrorists in our midst-we will all be wearing flak jackets to work--LETS FIGHT AL QAEDA OVER THERE-NOT HERE.

May 17, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  8. Martin in PA

Hillary is completely DELUSIONAL. She's not ahead in the popular vote, even if you count FL and MI!! She's "picking and choosing" and subtracting the votes in the caucus states to claim her "win."

How can the "patron saint" of fighting for the disenfranchised (FL, MI) turn around and randomly disenfranchise the caucus states??? NUTS! I don't want this delusional person running my country!!!

May 17, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  9. MLH

Children, lets play nice. We get to support different candidates in this country – that is part of what makes it so great. We can try to respect each other's opinons, and if that isn't possible, we can at least try to take the high road instead of wasting time with vituperative remarks that don't change anyone's mind and simply make us sound sad and bitter.

May 17, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  10. Trenton Sims, Los Angeles

Psychology 101:

DENIAL
    Dillusions of Grandeur
    DEMENTIA
    Lapses of Conciousness and Control
    Persecution Complex

She making it very bad for future Female Hopefuls...
    It illustrates why many believe that women think with their hearts ..not their minds..

Any of the above are an extremely Dangerous thing If your the Leader of the Free World.

May 17, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  11. Mike

GO HILLARY GO. IF NOT HILLARY – GO MAC. NEVER OBAMA...

May 17, 2008 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  12. Atlian

So if Hillary has all these popular votes why is her campaign in debt and Obama is ssimming in donations?

May 17, 2008 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  13. Catherine

I will support the nominee of the Democrats whoever that is. Both Hillary and Obama are intelligent people with virtually identical agendas. I would have loved to see a woman in the office but it looks like it is over. I will support Obama if he wins the nomination.

May 17, 2008 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  14. Mark, B'ham., Al.

Hillary needs to finish the race which is not done until the Super Delegates announce since they are the only way Obama can get the required number of delegates. Also America cna find out more about who Obama really is? Of which I believe he is a radical liberal like those typical of Chicago politics. After being stationed in the Navy and growing up all over the country as a military brat, the Liberal Blue States are more biggotted than any state I have lived in, in the South!

May 17, 2008 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  15. Les-WA

Mozartt,

Hillary supporters are NOT voting for the party, they're voting for the PERSON best QUALIFIED to be President. Their love of country supersedes political affiliation which a lot of you ideologist may not understand.

I'm Hillary supporter, I not only contribute money to her campaign, I also make phone calls for her campaign. My support for Hillary has NOTHING to do with being a democrat, she is the MOST qualified to be President.

McCain will get my vote in general election if Hillary is not the nominee for my party. I am a Reagan democrat.

May 17, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  16. Paul

Hillary, Ignore what some of these nasty people say about you. They don't know what they are talking about. GO HILLARY!!

May 17, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  17. Desmond Sequeira

This is an excellent instance in which FAIRNESS AND INTEGRITY IS BEST SERVED BY STICKING WITH THE RULES.
    It is a good idea to have the delegates seated but the DNC needs to make sure that no candidate gets an unfair advantage in the process.

The fiasco hitherto shows just one of countless examples of Hillary Clinton scrambling and scratching to change the rules she herself agreed to (before she saw herself losing). She is now pretending to be the champion of Michigan and Florida just to further her own cause. The great citizens of those states are intelligent enough to see through the absence of integrity in that!

May 17, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  18. Soyne

Why Clinton is not inclluding the population of the cacauss states won by Obama? Clinton needs to be reminded that to respect the rules. Her failure means that she will intepret the constitution in her own way in vilation of people rights, We a President who will respect the constitution beginning with the rules of the premaries.

May 17, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  19. Meropi

I for one my dear Mozarttt I will sit this one out if DNC and the elders anoint Obama as the nominee. Remember 2000 and 2004? Well this time looks like our best candidate will be shot by friendly fire so to speak.
    Let them figure it out. I get disgusted when they talk about party unity and party healing. The Party is you and I and the millions who voted in Florida and Michigan but DNC and Obama do not want us to be counted............wait till November, we will not show up this time.

May 17, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  20. CTM

Please gracefully bow out Hillary, it is time for democrats to unite behind our candidate and ensure that Bush does not get a third term.

May 17, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  21. Chanda-Cincinnati Ohio

TO NOT BITTER, AND THE REST OF YOU IDIOTS WHO SAY YOU WILL VOTE FOR MCCAIN IN NOVEMBER IF HILLARY DOES NOT WIN, AND VICE VERSA FO OBAMA SUPPOTERS

YOU GUYS HAVE TO BE THE MOST PITIFUL EXCUSE FOR ADULTS I HAVE SEEN IN MY LIFE!!!!!!!! IF YOU WERE TRULY BASING YOUR VOTES ON THE ISSUES, AND NOT THE MEDIA GENERATED POPULARITY CONTEST, THEN YOU WOULD SEE THAT HILLARY AND BARACK BOTH HAVE VERY SIMILAR VIEWS ON THE MAJORITY OF THE ISSUES. WHERE THEY DIFFER IS STILL NO COMPARISON TO THE DIFFERENES BETWEEN MCCAIN AND ANY DEMOCRAT WHO HAS EVER RUN FOR PRESIDENT. YOU ALL NEED TO MORPH INTO BIG LITTLE BOYS AND GIRLS BY NOVEMBER AND VOTE FOR A DEMOCRAT,...PERIOD!!!!!!! MCCAIN OPENLY ADMITS HE KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT THE ECONOMY, HE HAS A PLAN TO BRING OUR TROOPS HOME MAYBE IN FIVE YEARS, AND HE DOES NOT HAVE A LOGICAL HEALTHCARE PLAN TO SAVE HIS LIFE. ARE YOU ALL TRULY READY TO CUT OF THE NOSE OF AMERICA TO SPITE OBAMA OR CLINTON'S FACE? I JUST PAID $70 TO FILL UP MY MINI VAN. I SPEND $150 AT THE GROCERY STORE EVERY WEEK TO FEED MY FAMILY, AND BY NO MEANS ARE WE EATING PORTER HOUSE STEAKS EVERY NIGHT. I HAVE TO CHOSE WHICH PRESCRIPTION I AM GOING TO BGET FILLED THIS WEEK BECAUSE I DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH MONEY FOR ALL THREE, AND I WORK 50+ HOURS A WEEK. IF YOU IDIOTS REALLY BELIEVE FOUR MORE YEARS OF THIS CRAP IS ACCEPTABLE, THEN YOU MUST BE PART OF THE WEALTHY ELITE THAT ELECTING MCCAIN WILL BENEFIT. I BY KNOW STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION REMOTELY LIKE HILLARY CLINTON, BUT I WOULD VOTE FOR HER BEFORE I PUT BUSH'S OLDER BROTHER MCCAIN IN OFFICE. GROW UP DEMOCRATS BEFORE YOU SCREW US ALL OVER IN NOVEMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. NOT BITTER, IF YOU WOULD TRULY NOT VOTE FOR A CANDIDATE BECAUSE OF NOT LIKING THAT CANDIDATES SUPPOTERS ,WHO BY THE WAY, THE CANDIDATE HAS NO CONTROL OVER WHATSOEVER, THEN YOU REALLY DO NOT NEED TO EVER CAST ANOTHER VOTE EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 17, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  22. eddy

PROUDLY vote McCAIN over OBAMA.. I can't stand with Michelle Obama.

May 17, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  23. Shel, SLC UT

I support Obama, but I'd like to see her finish this out.

I liked the Hillary I saw at the beginning of this primary; was extremely disappointed in the Hillary I saw in OH & PA; and am starting to like the Hillary I see now.

I'm hoping that when this primary is over and her supporters start looking at Sen. McCain, they realize that a vote for Sen. Obama is NOT a vote agains Sen. Clinton.

A Clinton supporter voting for McCain in the GE is a vote against everything your candidate stands for. Let's not go that route.

May 17, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  24. arthurW from Virginia

Has anyone tested her for schizophrenia or a dual (triple) personality? Her arguments have become so thin and pathetic that its hard to remember the candidate that started the campaign. If you are going to count MI, which we are not, you have to give Obama the 'other' votes that clearly are his to even try and be in the ball park of reasonableness. For those few Clinton supporters who truly prefer the legacy of Bush through McCain come Fall, Adios Amigos…

May 17, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  25. Trenton Sims, Los Angeles

Just let her keep making a fool of herself....

She'll be done on June 3rd..

May 17, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |