May 17th, 2008

Clinton takes on TV pundits at distillery stop in Kentucky

Sen. Clinton at Maker's Mark Distillery in Loretto, Kentucky, Saturday.
Sen. Clinton at Maker's Mark Distillery in Loretto, Kentucky, Saturday.

LORETTO, Kentucky (CNN) - Wrapping up a rally at the Maker's Mark bourbon distillery on Saturday, Hillary Clinton again argued that she leads Barack Obama in the popular vote and attacked the television "punditry" that has suggested the race is over.

"All those people on TV who are telling you and everybody else that this race is over and I should just be graceful and say, 'Oh it's over' even though I've won more votes – those are all people who have a job," Clinton told supporters picnicking in the gardens of the distillery.

"Those are all people who have health care. Those are all people who can afford to send their kids to college. Those are all people who can pay whatever is charged at the gas pump. They're not the people I'm running to be a champion for."

"They keep telling me to quit," said Clinton. "I don't know, maybe I was just raised with the kind of values you were raised [with]. You don't quit on people and you don't quit until you finish what you started and you don't quit on America."

Clinton has recently been claiming a lead over Obama in the popular vote, a debatable claim, especially because the Democratic National Committee doesn't count the votes of Florida and Michigan, which Clinton does.

Both states were disqualified by the DNC for bringing forward their primaries.

CNN's official count - including all primaries and caucuses but neither Florida nor Michigan - has Obama ahead by close to 700,000 votes.

Clinton also argues that looking at the electoral map for the general election, she has won states with more electoral votes than Obama has.

"If you look at the states [Democrats] have to win, if you look at the big states, and you look at the swing states, I am the stronger candidate," she said.

Before her rally, Clinton toured the distillery and tried her hand at sealing a bottle of Maker's Mark, donning protective gear and dipping the bottle into a vat of the famous red wax. She remarked that she didn't realize every bottle is sealed by hand.

This wasn't Clinton's first brush with whiskey on the campaign trail.

She famously took a shot of Crown Royal during a bar stop in Indiana but despite her surroundings on Saturday, she didn't indulge.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Kentucky
  1. Brian

She may be able to count if she stops getting drunk at every campaign stop.

May 17, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  2. kathy in ohio

Warning Hillarys voters will go McCain
    I hope they really think about this

count me in with the movement
    Mccain 08 / Hillary 2012

May 17, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  3. jarvis

i'm so sick and tired of hearing people say they will vote for McCain if Obama gets it, which he will because he has truly won the race. can you dummies vote on the real issues instead of ignorance? liz says that if the tables were turned, things would be different. well you're somewhat right, the difference would have been when hilary won 10 in a row, they would have FORCED Obama to drop out. people, stop being bitter because your person lost, thats why we have this process in the first place, and the winner is....... Obama of course. if you clinton supporters can't see whats at stake in november and how important it is to not pick McCain, you're just as dumb as the people who voted for bush twice, i guess hilary supporters really are uneducated.... we really need to start making people take an IQ test before they vote, you dum dums are tearing the country apart.

May 17, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  4. God Bless America

IS SHE LOOKING TO BE THEIR NEW SPOKESPERSON?

May 17, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  5. Anonymous

Gary, Linda, Oregon 4 Hillary, DY and so many others of like mind, you all make excellent points, and your sentiments are echoed by MILLIONS of Americans who WILL NOT VOTE FOR OBAMA; they will either write Hillary in or vote for McCain. Many people remain simply ignorant of the fact that her supporters are not going to vote for Obama, and many Republicans who would vote for Hillary will NOT vote for Obama, but for McCain.

I have been thoroughly disgusted with the amount of blatant misogyny and sexism exhibited by mainstream media, who have seized upon every opportunity to shower derision and disrespect upon someone so very bright, energetic, and capable of leading this country out of the colossal mess it's in right now, and has been extremely friendly toward Obama, about whom we really know so very little except that he is totally inexperienced and totally un-electable in November.

I give all the credit in the world to Hillary's strength, smarts, and staying power in spite of the incredibly irrelevant, nastiness that seems to spew from the few. I am amazed that people who do not even know someone would feel compelled to speak so crudely about them. However, rude words say a great deal about the speaker, and nothing at all about the object of their ridicule.

Hillary is our best chance and we are gosh darn lucky that she is willing to volunteer for this job.

Hillary remains head and shoulders above all the petty comments made about and to her, and she has more courage and dignity than anyone in the race as she continues to hold her head high and refuses to quit.

GO HILLARY, GO!!!!!

May 17, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  6. skylark

She can run till Hell freezes over. Just attack the real enemy, The GOP.
    Bashing Obama only makes her look good to her supporters, whose sexuality I question, and republicans. The rest of us are fed up. She needs to concentrate what venom she has left on the McCaine gang.
    Then we will see what she is really made of.

May 17, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  7. MikeT

Anyone here that says Clinton is wrong for claiming the popular vote lead need to seriously think about the upcoming contests. It is the fault of the media if she loses momentum, but she will lead the popular vote and without Michigan and perhaps without Florida too.

What will the Obamabots say when she gains those 700,000 more votes than Obama. Oh, she cheated, no she did not, she was always the best candidate.

May 17, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  8. scorpi2000

First of all I was a proud Bill Clinton supporter and wished he could have served another term. Regaurdless of any of his faults or short comings , he and his administration successfully lead or country forward, leaving us better off. At the time I felt he was the best choice for the future of our country. I was very willing to vote for Hillary, eager at the chance to have the Clinton element in charge again.

Then came Barack Obama, clearly impressing me as the best candidate for the future. Definatly not because he was black, but because he portrayed an intilect and personality that I saw as being racialy neutral. Capable of truely representing all Americans without bias . Willing and capable of taking on the challenge of leading our country to a better place.

Whom ever wins the democratic nomination will have to take on the republicans. Even though this is a race to see who is going to represent the democrates , in the end that person is going to need all the help and support from the democratic party to win against the republican candidate.We dont want to give them more ammunition . You know there going to throw everything at us, including that which were throwing at ourselves.

Imagine if both candidates made a truce today , to never do or say anything to damage the others image , knowing in the end the loser will embrace the winner, join forces, followers and all, and truely take on positive change for the future of all Americans as a harmonious team.

Everyone on the team bringing to the table thier special individual talents, expertise, and connections, purposly leaving ego's and infighting out of the equation. With the large following that both of them have, its clear to me that if this phenomina emerges into one unified group it would create the largest political force I have ever seen. Capable of manifesting real positive change in a short amount of time.

I truely believe that if Barack was the loser , he would have no problem bringing everything he could to help the bigger cause. He is already showing that wisdom and forsight. Its a shame that he's being forced to defend himself from negative attacks from Hillary, who clearly wants to be the Dem Presidential candidate at all cost. Aware of, and not carring that she alienates and chase away Dem. supporters. Its like she's going after him kamikazi style, If I dont win, I'm going to make sure you don't win either.

I truely hope my calculations are wrong, but when I reverse anylize the Clintons actions, I keep coming up with the conclusion that they are not just trying to be the Dems. Presidential candidate but are also trying to sabitage Baracks chances of being elected President of the United States.

I don't know if it's possible, but I wish somone would talk to the Clintons and covince them to make a concerted effort to undue the negative character attacks on Barack and unselfishly bring the good that I know they have to the big picture for the good of us all.

Thanks

SCORPI2000

May 17, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  9. helmut

go hillary go! obama is going to lose the election , he is too weak to become a president, so let's go to the end , because people like me will never vote for obama , i am hispanic and i look for a strong candidate and that is her.

May 17, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  10. The Truth

Hillary changed her mind and wants to count Fl and Mi I agree with her. and O bomb us changed his mind and now wants to wear the US Flag emblem and changed his mind on thinking that Reverend Wright was right to Reverend Wright is now wrong. So give me a break and let's count all the votes to include FL and MI

May 17, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  11. Chamberlain

Similar to the popular, and ancient sport of the mixed martial arts, until there's a submission, or a knockout, it's just not over between the Democratic candidates. Why not allow these two strong democratic White House bound candidates define the parties larger picture. When it becomes a face to face fight, the stronger Democratic candidate will force McCain to TapOut, as he leaks back into his seat in the Senate.

May 17, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  12. Independent Voter

Please get this idiot a brain! The one she has isn't working!!!!

May 17, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  13. mmm

I don't understand – Edwards, Obama, Richardson, and Biden all took their names off the primary ballot in Michigan due the decision to move the primary earlier than allowed.

It's unfortunate that the voters of Michigan had little say in this maneuver, but it is unfair to claim the state's votes as a victory for Clinton. I voted for Clinton myself, but clearly if she loses the election within her party lines she will also lose the election across party lines.

May 17, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  14. Denise

To all the Hillary supporters that vow to vote for John McCain, if Hillary is not the nominee (and it doesn't look like she will be). I suspect most of you are women (so am I). Try not to act like babies and remember what a vote for John McCain means.
    1. More War – More American Dead – More Treasure Squandered
    2. No progress on Healthcare whatsoever
    3. More tax breaks for the rich and corporations

Also, you will be giving John McCain an opportunity to appoint two maybe 3 people to the Supreme Court. Can you guess how his appointees will feel about Roe V Wade?

So ladies, please THINK.

May 17, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  15. LT

She has a serious drinking problem !!

May 17, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  16. juang

For the MORONS who say they will vote McCain if Hillary is not the nomination...

What idiots you are!

But you were never going to vote democrat anyway. You are just posturing to influence Hillary supporters to jump ship.

No person in their right mind who is suffering economically would vote for grandpa. He is CLUELESS about the economy and feels that those who suffered foreclosures have themselves to blame.

You would vote for that to spite Obama?!

If so, you will get just what you deserve.

No wonder the rest of the world thinks Americans are really stupid.

May 17, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  17. Crush Rush

Its time to focus people.I think im "Tom Cruise' McCain and his gang of Knuckle draggers are coming out of the woodwork.

May 17, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  18. Chris

I'm one of those people telling her to exit gracefully. I have no health care and can't afford gas prices. Lets get the Democratic party as strong as possible!

May 17, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  19. Mark, in MD

What the hell is wrong with the Hillary supporters saying they'll vote for McCain?

You DO realize you'd be voting for George Bush again, right?

RIGHT?

So – Hillary supporters would DESTROY the country, rather than vote for a Democrat...

And Hillary would rather DESTROY the Democratic party, than concede to the winner....

NO WONDER SHE LOST.

May 17, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  20. weh

Hey DY, I am with you! If the superdelegates steal the election from Obama, I will give my vote to McCain....and I am sure a large number of Obama supporters will follow. I learned some where that the person with the most votes was the winner, I also learned that you take responsibility for your actions so when both Clinton and Obama agreed not to campain in Florida and Michigan they knew full well what they were agreeing to do. My question how do I trust a person who agrees to follow the rules, but have a change of heart when the numbers are not in her favor? Anoter point...how do I trust a person who misspoke about being fired upon on a visit to Bosnia. In my world, we call that a blatant lie NOT misspeaking.

By the way I WAS once a staunch Clinton supporter!

May 17, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  21. kristal

what a beautiful human being and a ggreat lady -she is going to win the rest of the primaries 4 sure -no stopping her momemtum -richardson is a snake slittering on his bottom 4 what he done to hillary – oh but him and bill r still friends lol edwards is a person who contradick's himself in 1 day he went from saying he was waiting to the end and out of nowhere just when hillary was basking in sunshine he does an about face well guess what edwards will bring obams down 2 just ask his other running mate kerry lol

May 17, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  22. Molly

Millions of Hillary supporters vote the BEST QUALIFIED – HILLARY
    Obama is NOT QUALIFIED – and we will never vote for him
    If obama should steal the nomination and the DNC allows this by blocking FL & MI voters – we will never come together.

We vote for the Person -NOT the party – could care less!
    This is NOT a spite vote – it is what is best for our country.

Obama is not ready to lead our country – he does not even go to KY – or WV states he will need to win – how ARROGANT
    Obama will never be elected with his WEAK and questionable background.

HILLARY or McCain NEVER obama

May 17, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  23. Anonymous

Dy is right. I'm of the same mind and if Hillary doesn't get the nomination, John McCain will be the next President of the United States.

May 17, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  24. mitchell from arkansaw

are you women stuck on hillary all blonde?bunch of idiots!just because the dems don't pick a woman ,you're gonna vote for a dumb ole white guy.you must be sexist and racist.

May 17, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  25. Derrick

Clinton needs to stop this fuzzy math theory she is trying to push that she somehow has the lead over Obama. That's hogwash. Not a chance. She is counting Florida and Michigan which the DNC does not because they violated party rules. Under those rules, Clinton has no argument and she cannot win either way. She needs to get her head out of the clouds, wake up and face reality. She lost. This battle is over and Obama is the Democratic Presidential Nominee.

Its time for Hillary to accept her defeat, admit it openly to the public and go home.

May 17, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |