May 17th, 2008

Clinton takes on TV pundits at distillery stop in Kentucky

Sen. Clinton at Maker's Mark Distillery in Loretto, Kentucky, Saturday.
Sen. Clinton at Maker's Mark Distillery in Loretto, Kentucky, Saturday.

LORETTO, Kentucky (CNN) - Wrapping up a rally at the Maker's Mark bourbon distillery on Saturday, Hillary Clinton again argued that she leads Barack Obama in the popular vote and attacked the television "punditry" that has suggested the race is over.

"All those people on TV who are telling you and everybody else that this race is over and I should just be graceful and say, 'Oh it's over' even though I've won more votes – those are all people who have a job," Clinton told supporters picnicking in the gardens of the distillery.

"Those are all people who have health care. Those are all people who can afford to send their kids to college. Those are all people who can pay whatever is charged at the gas pump. They're not the people I'm running to be a champion for."

"They keep telling me to quit," said Clinton. "I don't know, maybe I was just raised with the kind of values you were raised [with]. You don't quit on people and you don't quit until you finish what you started and you don't quit on America."

Clinton has recently been claiming a lead over Obama in the popular vote, a debatable claim, especially because the Democratic National Committee doesn't count the votes of Florida and Michigan, which Clinton does.

Both states were disqualified by the DNC for bringing forward their primaries.

CNN's official count - including all primaries and caucuses but neither Florida nor Michigan - has Obama ahead by close to 700,000 votes.

Clinton also argues that looking at the electoral map for the general election, she has won states with more electoral votes than Obama has.

"If you look at the states [Democrats] have to win, if you look at the big states, and you look at the swing states, I am the stronger candidate," she said.

Before her rally, Clinton toured the distillery and tried her hand at sealing a bottle of Maker's Mark, donning protective gear and dipping the bottle into a vat of the famous red wax. She remarked that she didn't realize every bottle is sealed by hand.

This wasn't Clinton's first brush with whiskey on the campaign trail.

She famously took a shot of Crown Royal during a bar stop in Indiana but despite her surroundings on Saturday, she didn't indulge.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Kentucky
  1. LetsBhonest

It's not the t.v. pundits' fault that the delegate math does not add up for Hillary...

They are merely telling it like it is I'm afraid...

The once inevitable nominee is lagging behind in the delegate count with no chance of changing the math – despite her many attempts at changing the rules AFTER the FACT...

Reality bites...

May 17, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  2. Democrat in 08!

I never knew Hillary supporters were such sore losers. So she doesn't get the nomination and you will vote for McCain even though he doesn't represent your interest. Even Hillary herself said it would be an error to vote for McCain over Obama. Well if the Hillary supporters want to vote for McCain over Obama than they deserve what they get in 08. Don't let your resentment take over. This democratic process is here to pick the best nominee even it isn't the one you wanted. Pride is the worst sin!
    Democrat in 08!

May 17, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  3. kathy in ohio

charlotte

There wont be enough of us to write hillary in to make a difference the majority of her supporters wont know to do that. you have to vote mccain to cancel out an obama voter. we cannot let him get in, this is for the good of our country we cannot worry about the democratic party this year

May 17, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  4. L.S

IF WE WOULD HAVE HAD IT THE WAY IT USE TO BE WHEN EVERYONE VOTES ON THAT SAME DAY WHEN THE POLLS ARE OPEN AND CLOSE WE WOULD NOT HAVE THIS MESS ABOUT WHO VOTED EARLY AND NOW WE HAVE TO PUNISH TWO STATES OF THE AMERICAN PEOPLE, BECAUSE OF THAT. HILARY WOULD BE AHEAD RIGHT NOW IF FLORIDA WAS COUNTED IN, MICHIGAN I CANNOT SPEAK FOR, BUT FLORIDA WOULD HAVE BROUGHT HER AHEAD, IT WOULD BE A CLOSE RACE, BUT WE WOULD NOT HAVE THIS WHERE SHE IS TRYING TO PLAY CATCH UP WITH THE REMAINING STATES. I AM DEMOCRATIC AND ALWAYS HAVE BEEN, BUT IF THEY DON'T COUNT THE VOTES IN FLORIDA OR MICHIGAN OR JUST HAVE SOME TYPE OF RE-VOTE WHICH I THINK THAT THEY WILL NOT, I WILL NOT BE VOTING IN NOVEMBER AND I AM NOT THE ONLY THAT FEELS THAT WAY, I AM JUST THROWING THIS OUT TO AMERICA, THEIR ARE A LOT OF PEOPLE THAT FEEL THE WAY I DO. "GO HILARY" YOU WILL ALWAYS HAVE MY VOTE, I LIKE A PERSON WHO IS NOT A QUITER. IF YOU DON'T WIN THIS TIME BECAUSE OF THIS POLITICAL MESS UP, I GURANTEE YOU WILL WIN THE NEXT TIME BECAUSE PEOPLE SEE YOU AS NOT A QUITER, BUT A WARRIOR, AND A STRONG LEADER.

May 17, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  5. Shannon from Washington

Hillary after a long hard fought battle, you deserve a shot or two. Maybe then you would wake up with some clarity.

As for all you Reagan democrats, if you have so little conscious that you would send your children and loved ones off to fought a war that was started on a lie for the next four years, allow the top 1% of the wealthy to get tax breaks while we don't have adequate schools, roads, or jobs. If you would waste your vote on a man that has every intention of continuing the worst president in the U.S. History failed policies that are causing us to pay $4.00 a gallon. Than you know what just take off the democratic part of your name and call yourself what you are republican.

May 17, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  6. Disheartened

Sounds like all you Hillary supporters are just as selfish as she is..."I will vote for McCain if Obama gets the nod" . This isn't about you or Hillary yet you would think it was. It is about the White House getting a Democrat back in office. Hillary and Bill have once again shown their true colors. Do not be fooled people of Fl and Mi...Hillary only cares about your votes because she is losing! You will be seated and their have been offers made to Hillary to seat you but she won't accept any offer that doesn't give her the whole pot. I also find it so scary to hear all of you people making obvious racial innuendos about Obama. It makes you all sound so ignorant . Why are all you people so afraid of a black person being president. Do you think he'll make all the white people have to ride the back of the bus!! He will have a cabinet around him, a Senate to answer to and a Congress to contend with...most of the people in those 3 categories are caucasian. As far as Hillary goes-that woman would lie straight to your face(and has) if it made her look better. The facts are we need a Democrat at the head of the pyramid so please stop cutting off your noses to spite your face. To vote for McCain should be going against everything Democrats believe in unless of course it is more important to you that a white person, be it a man or woman, be in the white house. Figure out what is really your issue before Nov.

May 17, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  7. Anonymous

I always wondered why everything comes from china now. Well maybe the clintons sold us out. dont you wonder why he is paid that much to just talk in china

May 17, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  8. NOBAMA

GO, HILLARY! DON'T LISTEN TO THOSE FOUL-MOUTHED HATEMONGERS CALLED OBAMA SUPPORTERS!!!

May 17, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  9. MikeT

Why don´t the pundits look at this?
    More importantly, however, is a number the Obama campaign and many media outlets haven’t discussed: Clinton has now won the popular vote in 195 US Congressional Districts. That number is important because of the relative equality of each congressional district. This number is important because too date Barack Obama has only won the popular vote in 187 congressional districts. If you include Florida & Michigan’s 2.3 million voters who showed up in record numbers on Election Day despite being disenfranchised, the congressional district victories look like this:

Clinton – 227 Congressional Districts
    Obama – 195 Congressional Districts

May 17, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  10. Mikey

To: Michael Kirksville MO or whatever your real name is.

I suspect that the "racist, sexist, and a pathological liar" is you!

You are a disrespectful piece of dirt. Barack Obama is 10,000 times the person you have ever dreamed of being. Crawl back in your hole.

The admiration his supporters have for him is primarily based on logical analysis, but you will never see that.

May 17, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  11. How is HRC so qualified?

Could someone please tell me why HRC is qualified? Sure she traveled the world but WHAT did she do besides sit in the room when NAFTA was created that she now says she doesn't support? Please anyone tell me what did she do? She tried the health care thing while she was the first lady and it failed. She moved to NY to run for senate and what did she do for NY'ers? She promised them jobs by the thousands and NY has LOST jobs since she became their senator.

I think she had a shot at the pres over a year ago but BO came on board. Something should be said of someone going against the Clinton Machine and beating her!!! This should tell you that IF you followed politics and not just since New Hampshire, you would know that HRC is flawed!!!! I would love to vote for Obama/Clinton ticket. However, I would be terrified of what the repukes would do with HRC when her closet door opens up! What is that you say, Goolge "the truth about Hillary Clinton".

Obama/Clinton 08 Dems...we need to unit!!!!

May 17, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  12. Angela

Right on helmut I am hispanic and I too look for a strong candidate and that is her. I just shake my head when I see all the pundits telling her to quit. Never in my entire life have I seen a election being called by the press...........that is so wrong. Hillary is the only one that is capable, experienced, and able to lead us to victory in November. If its Obama....a whole lotta people are going to finally wake up when they realize they enable a McCain win.

May 17, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  13. apple

someone give that tired crazy old woman a drink and tell her to sit down. This primary is over.

May 17, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  14. Wild man

I would like to have a 4-way with Hillary, Chelsea and Bill. That is all the use they would be to me!!!!!!

May 17, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  15. trups

Yo,Americans, it is NOT about inexperience, household name, woman, black/white..... it is about CHANGE. Hillary & gang will be the same people in a 21st century setting, with nothing to accomplish for the average American. Just bcos congress is more democrat, does not mean that she will have her way. All u out there who say u will vote for McCain, go ahead. WWIII is just a push of a button away, Roe v Wade is just a pen swipe away, healthcare? forget it (too much secrecy at stake), oil dependency? (after all the $$ poured into the Clinton coffers?), NAFTA, CAFTA, etc... will exist with minor 'punctuation' corrections, let me see, what else? The WH is NOT the Clinton birth right. They should consider themselves the 'elders' and encourage new and young blood to run. After all, 'words' dont bring bloodshed (with an inexperienced current prez) and change wont mean same players with new furniture. Stop demeaning 'outsiders' and women, stop whining about nothing. U whine too much – what is so great about a woman prez? She would not be the first in power in the world. With regards to first woman prez of USA, makes no difference either. Either way women 'rule the roost' and 'wear the pants anyway'. At this point in time, Americans must think with their heads, not their heels. I am a woman and I tell fellow women, let us help her ease out gently and show the Repubs (who we really should be worried about) that so what if we are not at the top, our hard work in the shadows and backbone of the country is what keeps this place what it is, the best country on earth. Think about this ladies.

May 17, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  16. Clinton lover

Hillary can perform oral on me if she is careful with those big buck
    teeth!!!!

May 17, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  17. ALIEN

Hillary may say whatever she wants and stay in the race as long as she wants, but it won't change anything. She is done!

May 17, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  18. HILLARY CAN WIN IN NOVEMBER!!

WELL SAID HILLARY!

I LOVE HOW YOU DO NOT TAKE ANYONES CRAP!!!!!!

THE MEDIA HAS TREATED YOU UNFAIRLY SINCE THE BEGINNING!!!!

A BUNCH OF GROWN MEN AFRAID OF AN INTELLIGENT WOMAN!

WELL, I AGREE THAT YOU HAVE THE POPULAR VOTE! LETS HOPE THE SUPER DELEGATES ARE LISTENING!!!!!!!

I AM VOTING FOR YOU REGARDLESS! GOD BLESS!!!!!!!

May 17, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  19. Shannon from Washington

By golly Molly, you sure told us the people that voted in MAJORITY for the real winner. I am afraid you have it very confused. Hillary SIGNED a pledge to not count FL or MI. It is your candidate who doesn't play fair. Oh well, vote against your interests. YOU WILL SHOW US>

May 17, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  20. Dan

My favorite part is the citations or evidence on how Obama is unqualified, oh wait – care to reiterate on this with some sort of factual evidence, Repubs?

May 17, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  21. maryann

Go Hillary Go,
    Keep on fighting.I admire you so much for doing what you are doing.
    All the pundits telling you it is over and to get out is shameful. And as for Obama carrying on like he has already won is digusting. The race is not over until June/o8. He blew off WV and Kentucky what does that say about him.He will never win the general elections and these so called superdelegates should realize that. When this is over she should quit the Democratic party, They treated her awful along with the media and pundits. She should become an Independant or better still go back to being a lawyer and write a book about how she was treated by the democratic party during this race. Would that not cause a scene. The democratic party does not deserve her. She has worked hard for them and for those people less fortunate and for the African Americans and what thanks did she get. Called names,made fun of and treated so disrespectfully. You are truly an amazing woman.

May 17, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  22. same ppl=same idea. new folks = change

gracoius goodness! where is her campaign calulator? please hill redo the math if you cant my 2yr old can help you and you dont even have to pay her. get over it it is over hill

May 17, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  23. Super Delegate

I know you couldn't post that last one so here goes again. I will vote
    for Hillary if she will give me $1,000,000.00 Otherwise it is Obama!

May 17, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  24. Ed

Hillary is a pig at the trough!

May 17, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  25. NObama

If Hillary not win we vote for McCain I am not voting for teenage and waki taki radio he is blank blank blank

May 17, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |