May 17th, 2008

Clinton takes on TV pundits at distillery stop in Kentucky

Sen. Clinton at Maker's Mark Distillery in Loretto, Kentucky, Saturday.
Sen. Clinton at Maker's Mark Distillery in Loretto, Kentucky, Saturday.

LORETTO, Kentucky (CNN) - Wrapping up a rally at the Maker's Mark bourbon distillery on Saturday, Hillary Clinton again argued that she leads Barack Obama in the popular vote and attacked the television "punditry" that has suggested the race is over.

"All those people on TV who are telling you and everybody else that this race is over and I should just be graceful and say, 'Oh it's over' even though I've won more votes – those are all people who have a job," Clinton told supporters picnicking in the gardens of the distillery.

"Those are all people who have health care. Those are all people who can afford to send their kids to college. Those are all people who can pay whatever is charged at the gas pump. They're not the people I'm running to be a champion for."

"They keep telling me to quit," said Clinton. "I don't know, maybe I was just raised with the kind of values you were raised [with]. You don't quit on people and you don't quit until you finish what you started and you don't quit on America."

Clinton has recently been claiming a lead over Obama in the popular vote, a debatable claim, especially because the Democratic National Committee doesn't count the votes of Florida and Michigan, which Clinton does.

Both states were disqualified by the DNC for bringing forward their primaries.

CNN's official count - including all primaries and caucuses but neither Florida nor Michigan - has Obama ahead by close to 700,000 votes.

Clinton also argues that looking at the electoral map for the general election, she has won states with more electoral votes than Obama has.

"If you look at the states [Democrats] have to win, if you look at the big states, and you look at the swing states, I am the stronger candidate," she said.

Before her rally, Clinton toured the distillery and tried her hand at sealing a bottle of Maker's Mark, donning protective gear and dipping the bottle into a vat of the famous red wax. She remarked that she didn't realize every bottle is sealed by hand.

This wasn't Clinton's first brush with whiskey on the campaign trail.

She famously took a shot of Crown Royal during a bar stop in Indiana but despite her surroundings on Saturday, she didn't indulge.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Kentucky
  1. mt

DY
    How could you possibly support McCain over Obama?

May 17, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  2. Trang, Fremont, CA

Hillary cannot win because of Obama's lead in all categories. Hillary supporters think they are helping her by pushing her to continue to run. But by making her continue to run, and without them contributing sufficient funds, they are getting her into further debt. Are they really helping her? Will they pitch in to help her resolve her debt, because in a way, they are the ones who push her to continue to run. I really doubt it.

Hillary, you can run all 50 states. Usually the DNC wrap this up much faster, but they don't. They let you run. Just don't ask us to bail you out on your campaign debt.

You can run all 50 states, but you cannot win. That's why we are just curious as to why you continue to run, that's all. But by all means, run all 50 states, nobody is going to stop you.

Look, you are favored to win in the beginning of the race. You have Bill Clinton. You are better known. You had a substantial lead in the superdelegates in the beginning, so don't complain that you are at a disadvantage or somehow the media is against you.

If Obama win, it's because he wins the people's hearts and minds. He was an unknown, but as he starts to reveal himself more, people grow to love him more. He shows himself to be a leader that American yearns for (well, not all, but a majority of us do).

May 17, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  3. Lance Martin

If Obama beats Hillary out for the nomination WHY ON EARTH would a true democrat vote for Mccain who is a true republican with no general knowledge of the economy? For those democrats who will cross over to Mccain it would seem to be very racially motivated and that is truly sad....

May 17, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  4. Sistaeloquence

The way I see it is this...Hillary either has Dissociative Disorder, Schizophrenia or Antisocial Personality Disorder. That is evidenced by her kissing up to Obama at one debate and claiming "Shame on You!" the following week. It is also evidenced by the fact she stated she was "dodging bullets" in Bosnia, until the truth came out. She further spoke of "obliterating" people. Now, either she has multiple personalities and doesn't remember times and events, is schizophrenic and has a problem with delusions, or a total sociopath with the same mentality as a serial killer. How can you trust someone who is apparently so unstable??

May 17, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  5. Susan

Is there one Hillary supporter that can answer one question honestly, and without being shrill or condescending? My question is Why did Hillary sign off with the DNC that Fl. and Mi would not count because they broke the rules. An honest answer please, with no rehtoric or fanfare.

May 17, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  6. Raghu

Ther we go, first it was Crown Royal, now this. Man, this senator would do anything to be like the normal people

May 17, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  7. Miller

Do not quit Hillary, do not quip. I will not vote for Obama. He is so out of touch.

May 17, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  8. Dee

haaaaaa hill's supporters are waaaay out of touch.. Saying they will
    vote for MCcain when she loses.. Yeah! that makes a lot of sense..
    Thanks for proving that she really is a rep and not a dem!

May 17, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  9. Anonymous

Both Obama and Hillary supporters believe firmly with their own candidate but what kind of principles does a supporter have when their candidate lost they voted for Mccain instead?

They rather have more wars and more of McBush than accept Obama or Hillary. It's like a small kid who is a sore losers. Is that how an American President be chosen?

What kind of mentality do these people who say if I can't have what I want I rather destroy the country?

Shame on you!!!

May 17, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  10. Patrick

Shame on you!!!

May 17, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  11. equator.org

No matter who you are for we must unite and defeat the Bush machine that wastes our children's futures. Don't fight, UNITE!

May 17, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  12. Washington

I can see it all now.....Hillary will still be insisting her name is
    supposed to be on the ballot in November when the primaries are longggggg over. She won't give up, somehow she feels a sense of
    entitlement and she wants it and by gosh, because she wants
    it it should be hers. GO AWAY HILLARY, I wouldn't vote for you
    if you were the only name on the ballot, you are crooked
    as a snake, and this country would be in a world of hurt if you
    were at the helm.

May 17, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  13. Relevant

I don't have a job. I don't have health care. I don't want Clinton to be my president. Can I refute her argument any more clearly?

May 17, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  14. Dem Voter

Those of us who support Sen. Clinton do so because we believe she would be the best leader. Believing in her leadership to me means voting for Senator Obama if Senator Clinton is not the nominee; that is what Senator Clinton says we should do. Would we have her "work her heart out" for Senator Obama and other Democrats and see her supporters vote for Sen. McCain? If Senator Clinton returns to the Senate, do we want a Republican president who will veto bills favored by Sen. Clinton and other Democrats?

I believe Sen. Clinton is staying in the race at least partly because evidence that many voters favor her policies will help her have maximum input to the legislation that is actually offered.

I am doing my best not to impute the incivility of some commenters to the candidates themselves.

May 17, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  15. Jared

Hillary needs to stop misleading voters with her empty claims of more popular votes and more electoral votes. She knew the rules when this thing started. How can she claim Michigan when she was the only one on the ballot?

Barack Obama is the answer. Anybody who votes for McCain in Nov. is asking for a third Bush term.

Let's unite the party!

May 17, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  16. David

I find it ironic that when Obama led in the popular vote but not the superdelegate count Clinton said the popular vote should not matter. In fact, she even suggested that the superdelegates ignore the popular vote and vote for who they thought was best suited to win in November. Now she has declared herself ahead in the popular vote and claims that entitles her to the nomination. I also see a ton of her supporters sheepishly following along conviently forgetting her stance from earlier. She will say or do anything to get elected. This is not a quality I want from a leader.

May 17, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  17. Mary

Why does'nt someone give Hillary a math test.She isn;t folloeing the rules at all and whining because she is getting in DEBT.
    Vote Obama i agree with Maggie and Mr.Amercia

May 17, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  18. Chanda-Cincinnati Ohio

To Debbie,

"If the DNC allows Obama to steal the nomination..." Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound. I guess the millions of voters that have voted for obama were in on some giant conspiracy to STEAL the nomination from Hillary. I just have one question...why do some peolpe believe the nomintion automaticly belonged to Hillary to begin with? She does not have an entitlement to be president of this country know more than any other candidate. The people vote and decide who the nominee will be. Even if you count Florida as is, she still would not have enough popular vote or delelegates. You guys blame Obama for Mich. and Fla., when in reality it was ALL of the democratic candidates who agreed with those idiotic sanctions, INCLUDING HILLARY! I have never before seen the guy who is playing the game by the rules set forth be the one who gets called a cheater. I have said it before, and I will say it again. If ANYBODY that calls themselves a Democrat can truly go to the polls and vote for McCain in November, then God help this country...and shame on you for not being mature enough to look beyond the popularity contest to the issues. By the way, Bill Clinton won in 1992 with just 39% of the white vote, and 83% of the black vote. Just a little tid bit I thought I would throw at those who say Obama can not win without the majority of the white support. He holds a greater percentage of both of these demographics now.

P.S. To whomever it was above that said Hillary would win the presidency based on the electoral counts of the states she has already won...get a life! Indiana, Ohio, Florida and in all likely hood Pennsylvania will go to the republicans no matter which democrat is on the ballot. I will even go out on a limb and say she will win Kentucky, and they will most definitely go to the Repubs.

May 17, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  19. JIM WHITTAKER

How pathetic these Clinton Lemmings sound...

It seems all she's left with at this point are poor, uneducated,
    bitter old women, and beer-swilling hillbilly racists.

Thank God they don't elect our leaders, or dictate to the rest
    of us how we should vote. Just think of a country where these
    kinds of people were in charge or made the major decisions.

Oh, wait a minute, there already is a country like that. It's called
    West Virginia! And you see how well their lives are working out.

Bye, Bye, Miss American Thighs...

May 17, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  20. Bush, your a sick sick man

I kinda miss her already. It was definitely entertaining watching her screw herself out of this election. I must say, I am impressed by the "New Hillary". Humbled, and right on target with her attacks on the Repukes. If she ran this way in the first place she might have won.

May 17, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  21. Jerry Turecky

I have figured out why I cannot and will not vote for Obama. These are his words taken from an interview : "As I've said about the flag pin, I don't want to be perceived as taking sides,' Obama said. 'There are a lot of people in the world to whom the American flag is a symbol of oppression. And the anthem itself conveys a war-like message. You know, the bombs bursting in air and all. It should be swapped for something less parochial and less bellicose. I like the song 'I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing.' If that were our anthem, then I might salute it.' (Can you believe this. And this man wants to be the president of the United States of America.)

When you are a 72 year old ,white, middle income woman, you know there can be no "change" in Washington unless you change your senators and congressmen. I will WRITE Hillary Clinton's name in on my voting ballot before I will vote for Barak Obama. Something all of you could do if she is not the nominee.

May 17, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  22. Sandy

TOSS ONE TO THE HEAD. YOU ARE GOING TO NEED IT.

May 17, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  23. carley

Go Sen. Clinton! We are with you to the end, and will watch you win this! I will not vote for anyone else, so if I have to write your name in, I will!

May 17, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  24. Trenton Sims, Los Angeles

Please Don't confuse them, they're not very bright ... Some of them still cling to the notion that Rev. Wright gave the same bitter sermon every Sunday for 20 years.. cackle cackle..hee hee..

Thats how Hillary can so easily weave a web of deception around their tiny illiterate hateful minds day after day for the last 2 years...

The debate over popular votes, delegate count, etc. is so puzzling that whatever Mrs. Clinton professes is what les miserables will kling to.

LOL.. :)

May 17, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  25. Canadian

Hillary's got this frightening thing that she does...whenever she's silent, I know she's going to come back swinging. However, this time she's desperately grasping at straws. She plays push and pull with dangerous consequences.

May 17, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |