May 17th, 2008

Clinton takes on TV pundits at distillery stop in Kentucky

Sen. Clinton at Maker's Mark Distillery in Loretto, Kentucky, Saturday.
Sen. Clinton at Maker's Mark Distillery in Loretto, Kentucky, Saturday.

LORETTO, Kentucky (CNN) - Wrapping up a rally at the Maker's Mark bourbon distillery on Saturday, Hillary Clinton again argued that she leads Barack Obama in the popular vote and attacked the television "punditry" that has suggested the race is over.

"All those people on TV who are telling you and everybody else that this race is over and I should just be graceful and say, 'Oh it's over' even though I've won more votes – those are all people who have a job," Clinton told supporters picnicking in the gardens of the distillery.

"Those are all people who have health care. Those are all people who can afford to send their kids to college. Those are all people who can pay whatever is charged at the gas pump. They're not the people I'm running to be a champion for."

"They keep telling me to quit," said Clinton. "I don't know, maybe I was just raised with the kind of values you were raised [with]. You don't quit on people and you don't quit until you finish what you started and you don't quit on America."

Clinton has recently been claiming a lead over Obama in the popular vote, a debatable claim, especially because the Democratic National Committee doesn't count the votes of Florida and Michigan, which Clinton does.

Both states were disqualified by the DNC for bringing forward their primaries.

CNN's official count - including all primaries and caucuses but neither Florida nor Michigan - has Obama ahead by close to 700,000 votes.

Clinton also argues that looking at the electoral map for the general election, she has won states with more electoral votes than Obama has.

"If you look at the states [Democrats] have to win, if you look at the big states, and you look at the swing states, I am the stronger candidate," she said.

Before her rally, Clinton toured the distillery and tried her hand at sealing a bottle of Maker's Mark, donning protective gear and dipping the bottle into a vat of the famous red wax. She remarked that she didn't realize every bottle is sealed by hand.

This wasn't Clinton's first brush with whiskey on the campaign trail.

She famously took a shot of Crown Royal during a bar stop in Indiana but despite her surroundings on Saturday, she didn't indulge.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Kentucky
  1. annie

KEEP GOING HILLARY – OUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU!!!

May 17, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  2. Puck

Oh Hillary...

There are PLENTY of people who are telling you to quit
    who DON'T have jobs, who DON'T have healthcare,
    who CAN'T afford to send their kids to college or pay
    "whatever" at the gas pumps.

And stop spreading these ridiculous tales about how you're
    leading in the popular vote. Repitition does not equal truth.

But, you said it yourself – you're "not running to be a champion
    for the people who are telling you to quit." Very well.

That is a clearly disrespectful thing to say to people who's
    votes you will need in the general election should you somehow
    win the Democratic nomination.

Which you won't.

May 17, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  3. Manish Verma

After travelling so far in campaign and so close Mrs Clinton seems to be finding it hard to quit. She is emotionally attached to the decision of quitting while pundits are not. Waiting for two to three weeks more should not be a problem if the campaigns do not indulge in negativity at all keeping party first.

May 17, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  4. Mary Sue Bennett

If Obanna doesn't get the nomination it certainly won't be the fault of the media. From the beginning Senator Clinton has been discounted by the major media, and according to the media Obanna is already crowned the nominee. Regarding Michigan and Fliorida, you and I have heard Dean say those states will no doubt be seated at the convention. If Clinton makes a slight misstatement it is breaking news. I haven't seen any comment recently about Mrs. Obanna's statement about first time she has been proud of USA. I admire Obanna but feel he can't be elected. Here in Texas and other places I fear he won't beat McClain. I just wish you people could wait and see what happens at the end. I've been a loyal CNN person for years, but now I can do as well on Fox News. I'm disappointed, but guess you're just trying to keep up with them.

May 17, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  5. bill pike

lier's poker???? just when you think it's safe to go back into the water, hillary shows up.

May 17, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  6. cathy

I saw the quote "they keep telling me to quit", and thought maybe it was directed at the senator's drinking--she certainly seems to spend a lot of time around whiskey.

May 17, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  7. JERRY

MAYBE THEY WILG GIVE HER A FEW BOTTLES TO GO. SHE WILL NEED IT WHEN HE GETS THE NOMINATION.

May 17, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  8. Ryan, New York, NY

I love Maker's Mark. This disappoints me.

No wonder they support her, though, as watching her campaign and refusal accept reality is causing me to increase their profits.

May 17, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  9. Marsh

Hillary is ahead of obama, and just because cnn is in the toliet for obama dont make him ahead. all the male pundits act like a bunch of little google eyed school girls ever time they see obama

May 17, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  10. irma

Hillary is the stronger candidate with the most popular votes. We can have this argument over and over, but I can't help but notice that no matter how effective Hillary's support arguments, they are always out done by the media powers who get to voice their opinions and influence millions while cutting out millions...I remember when you all did the same for George W. Bush. This will more than likely not post as none of my pro Hillary comments seem to make it on.

May 17, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  11. mario

shame on you CNN , she was right , i dont now what this "This wasn't Clinton's first brush with whiskey on the campaign trail." impute , you are trying to say that she is drinker :(( shame on you CNN , Sha is telling facts as they are, she is more electable and she is ahead in popular vote , now in small margin but after all primaries she will have big lead , did you notice that she was close in may 13 nebraska nonbising primary and in washington for jut 3 percent and in caucus obama get elegates , remember oregon south dakota and montana are primaries and you will se how srtong is Clinton , you media are so bitter. You are not deciding who is nominee , PEOPLE ARE DECIDING , post my memo .

May 17, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  12. california for Hillary and proud of it..

as I said before, Hillary will win this race, all the way to convention. I still don't know obama to this day. how can anybody vote for that? explain it to me! I believe in real change. we need a woman for a president, that is real change. obama is not the person we can trust. washington d.c. are full of human elements, powerful and many dirty tricks under their sleeves and if you don't have the experiences, they'll sweep anyone under the rags, out of mind and out of sight!. everythings obama said and about his promises, are all fairy tales. I listen and vote every four years, all their statements sounds o.k. from truman to this present president, they seem to ran out of action. at least, during the clinton years, I some what blessed with all bill clinton personal activity, our country was well off and jobs are plenty, monies are flowing well. our country was out of financial debts. I can only tell you, hillary will do the same for us today. so with that, I rather vote for her and respectfully admired her toughness because she care and love america. I know I can depend on her and not like the obama which I respectfully like but, not his for going conclusion, that he will bring better change. I know he will not deliever well.

May 17, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  13. Tyler in Raleigh, NC

Way to go Clinton.... and then you wonder why the media is hard on you? Perhaps like the voters in caucuses which you do NOT COUNT in your claim to be ahead in votes, you bash them and their opinions because they do not fit into your America.

You drink your Crown Royal (what says blue collar America more than a Canadian whiskey aftter all?) and meet hard working Americans for the first time in your life and now you claim to be one.

Its about as true as your claims on NAFTA and sniper fire.

May 17, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  14. mario

Hillary 2008 or 2012 , maybe 2008 as independent , it is only choice , barack hussein obama and his sweeite as can go home in illinois and first finish elected term as senator, he want to be president with 3 years in senate hahahahaha, and he want to be president of 57 states , why Cnn didnt you make story about that , noooo , you are part of conspirancy which obama is leading , or you are brain washed people . post my memo

May 17, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  15. Jimmy

What is up, take away their delegates, but do not tell these great people of Florida and Michigan that they do not count.

Take away their Delegates I do not care. But do not take away a vote from an American Citizen. That is Intolerable.

May 17, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  16. rose, texas

u'r right about all those people hillary, they have no respect 4 anybody, they r obama supporters that's why they want u 2 quit. hope that u keep going we need u....u'r still in my prayers.

May 17, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  17. ay

I hope she is on senate payroll, She could use this valuable time to help the American people. ...............

May 17, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  18. ali khales

go on hillary, the race is not yet over. clinton is ahead in the popular votes and according to the electrol map she is the strongest candidate who can win in the fall.....

May 17, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  19. Tony, Mount Vernon, NY

How does the popular vote stand counting Florida and Michigan CNN? Why not inform your audience about that? Those people may not be given delegates but there's no denying that they voted so why shouldn't they be counted in the popular vote? Let's have some objective reporting on Clinton for a change! Why not write an item about how Obama is winning because he has the support of politicians who are ready to tell the people that our votes don't count?

May 17, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  20. Deezy

Hillary you are not leading in popular vote!!!!

May 17, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  21. Mary

If they have to be counted split them fifty fifty make another split and give each of them one fourth of a half. This will serve as punishment as well as making sure they both are treated fairly. To give her more would be wrong. She knew they wouldn't be counted. She has to abide by the rules also.

May 17, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  22. Andrew

There's no denying that she's a fighter.

May 17, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  23. bizarre

Champion for whom? …and those folks are buying into it.

May 17, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  24. KevinPenn Sr Alabama [Teamsters Local 402]

Billary it's time to wake up from sleepwalking and smell the truth.You are looking more pitiyful each day. Look at yourself don't burn down all your bridges.

May 17, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  25. Jim

The DNC wants Obama to be the nominee so they're just letting Hillary float while Florida and Michigan are still waiting to be recognized.

The superdelegates should accept their responsability to guide the party in the right direction there where victory lies.

SUPERDELEGATES MOVE!!!

Time to swing this nomination to Hillary and we'll all come out winners in November!

May 17, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |