May 17th, 2008

Clinton takes on TV pundits at distillery stop in Kentucky

Sen. Clinton at Maker's Mark Distillery in Loretto, Kentucky, Saturday.
Sen. Clinton at Maker's Mark Distillery in Loretto, Kentucky, Saturday.

LORETTO, Kentucky (CNN) - Wrapping up a rally at the Maker's Mark bourbon distillery on Saturday, Hillary Clinton again argued that she leads Barack Obama in the popular vote and attacked the television "punditry" that has suggested the race is over.

"All those people on TV who are telling you and everybody else that this race is over and I should just be graceful and say, 'Oh it's over' even though I've won more votes – those are all people who have a job," Clinton told supporters picnicking in the gardens of the distillery.

"Those are all people who have health care. Those are all people who can afford to send their kids to college. Those are all people who can pay whatever is charged at the gas pump. They're not the people I'm running to be a champion for."

"They keep telling me to quit," said Clinton. "I don't know, maybe I was just raised with the kind of values you were raised [with]. You don't quit on people and you don't quit until you finish what you started and you don't quit on America."

Clinton has recently been claiming a lead over Obama in the popular vote, a debatable claim, especially because the Democratic National Committee doesn't count the votes of Florida and Michigan, which Clinton does.

Both states were disqualified by the DNC for bringing forward their primaries.

CNN's official count - including all primaries and caucuses but neither Florida nor Michigan - has Obama ahead by close to 700,000 votes.

Clinton also argues that looking at the electoral map for the general election, she has won states with more electoral votes than Obama has.

"If you look at the states [Democrats] have to win, if you look at the big states, and you look at the swing states, I am the stronger candidate," she said.

Before her rally, Clinton toured the distillery and tried her hand at sealing a bottle of Maker's Mark, donning protective gear and dipping the bottle into a vat of the famous red wax. She remarked that she didn't realize every bottle is sealed by hand.

This wasn't Clinton's first brush with whiskey on the campaign trail.

She famously took a shot of Crown Royal during a bar stop in Indiana but despite her surroundings on Saturday, she didn't indulge.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Kentucky
  1. Cheryl in Augusta

Thanks for the clarity Hillary – I have a job, healtcare and will find a way to pay for college and gas no matter the price so I guess that means you don't want my vote.

May 17, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  2. Aaron

Isn't Clinton only ahead in the popular vote if you ignore caucus results, and count Florida and Michigan (when people didn't even have the option of voting for Obama)? Dishonesty must come easier to her than breathing.

May 17, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  3. R.O.B.

You're wrong Hillary, I have and can do all of those things you mentioned. And I want you to go ahead and gracefully bow out. Then start attacking the Republicans.

May 17, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  4. lol

hillary is right about the pundits. tim russert should be fired for declaring the race over. msnbc has the most biased, and sexist political commentators. stay in the race hillary. you are a champion for the blue collar voters. go to hillary's website, and sign the petition to include the millions who voted in FL and MI.

May 17, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  5. Sylvia Johnsen

Love you Hillary! Stay in there, you are fundamentally right, stay right. And do the right thing! No shameless deals, no strange arguments on delegate splits for Michigan and Florida, and you are right. Then you cannot loose...

May 17, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  6. Esther from Cuyahoga Falls Ohio

just like cigarettes we should not have ads for alcohol or prescription medication she will have us all on prozac if she get into the white house

May 17, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  7. Phillip Bunn , Bailey NC

She should have taken the drink and then jumped up on the table and stripped. That is the only thing she hasn't tried to clinch the nomination.

May 17, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  8. Victor in NC

You should have a taste.. You know you like to drink! An I am not taking about water

May 17, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  9. Bridgette

Hilary the race is over. You fought a good fight but it's over. Now you are not looking like a fighter just like a person who does not have a clue. I know all of the women who are supporting you don't want to accept the fact I know I am one, but, ladies let's accept it it's over. Whether you vote for McCain or Obama is up to you, but, you won't be voting for Hilary in the general.

May 17, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  10. Tex

Hillary has gone from delusional to simply insane! She is the only one who thinks that she is ahead. I am no longer even angry at her anymore, I just simply feel sorry for the woman. Poor Hillary. Tick Tock Tick Tock, the clock is winding down for her and Obama only needs 121 delegates which he will get next week.

Obama 08 and 12

May 17, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  11. fred

Go Hillary!!

We all know who you count the vote for CNN...have been totally biased for Obama since day 1. I hope he loses his butt!!!

May 17, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  12. muffy

Poor Hillary she is as delusional as Bush, we surely don't need another president like that.

Obama is such a brilliant, statesman and so gentlemanly. I know the rest of the world is waiting as I am for him to become our leader.

May 17, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  13. Bill in Illinois

Don't you just love Hillary's math. She must have been one of the children "Left Behind"!

May 17, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  14. Derek

She's still running???

May 17, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  15. BaltarStar Galactica

What is wrong with this woman? Someone please tell this hangerson Baby Boomer, this ME ME ME generation moron, to exit Stage Left. Only in her Sniper-Fired imagination does she have what it takes to be President.

May 17, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  16. joyce

hillary is blowing off a lot of hot air and is in fantasy land
    go hillary (home

May 17, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  17. Terry in Fl

get em girl!

May 17, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  18. maggie

hillary need to go sit down. she agreed to the rules and she should be made to stick by them. if they give her those two states we can say that another person has stole the votes. those two states are out and they should be made to remain out. they knew the rules as well as i did and i havent ran for an office. so stop crying and be a strong woman who knows right from wrong.

May 17, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  19. chris

Clinton keep's saying that she's won more votes. I don't think she can count. She has fewer super-delegates, fewer delegates, and less of the popular vote, even with Michigan and Florida. The woman is losing it.

May 17, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  20. That Does It!!

So, since I have a job, healthcare, buy gas and a kid in college; Hillary isn't there for me?. I guess that just about says it all: You mean nothing if you're one of the millions that pay the taxes that she uses for political power.

Hillary, there is no "I" in "Team." Sit down already.

May 17, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  21. Donald from SC

God bless her. Over 20 years of education, including grad school, and she still has poor math skills.

May 17, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  22. KBest

Honestly, Hillary, you should be graceful enough to bow out. The more you make it a do-or-die afair, the less relevant you make yourself. You're a very respected person in American politics, but you know, sometimes God's answer to a prayer is simply 'No'.

Don't force God into a 'Yes' position to please you. Remember, we're nothing but dust before his eyes. The heavens is wide enough for birds to fly without colliding into each other. You have ran a very forceful and determined campaign, but God has said 'No' this time.

Be graceful Hillary, be graceful and wait for God's 'Yes'.

May 17, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  23. Kaygee

After watching the way the press favored Sarkozy over Royale, I'm really hoping that voters will reject what the pundits are trying to dictate in the American election. I think the interview of Albright on the eve of the New Hampshire primary expressed it all.
    If Obama shows himself to be a hard-working, innovative senator, I would consider voting for him in 2012. Right now, it's Clinton. And if it isn't, we'll pay the price for putting someone in there who isn't a seasoned enough statesman.

May 17, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  24. Michael

Earth to Hillary, Earth to Hillary, Come in please... is anyone there?

Maybe she needs electro-schock to come back to reality.

May 17, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  25. Art

Let's see....... Hillary Rodham Clinton...... Barak Hussein Obama.

Hmmmm. With little pieces of me left all over this world, I think I feel more comfortable with a real American name.

May 17, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |