May 18th, 2008

Clinton: 'Think about this as a hiring decision'

Sen. Hillary Clinton has vowed to stay in the race until all states have a say.
Sen. Hillary Clinton has vowed to stay in the race until all states have a say.

(CNN) - Despite Sen. Barack Obama's commanding lead in the delegate count, Sen. Hillary Clinton campaigned hard Sunday, telling voters she's "running for the toughest job in the world."

Clinton spent her weekend in Kentucky, which, along with Oregon, holds its Democratic contest Tuesday.

Clinton is favored in Kentucky, while polls show Obama with a comfortable lead in Oregon.

Speaking in Bowling Green, the senator from New York said it was a "treat" to have the whole state to herself since Obama would not be returning there.

Clinton has faced calls to drop out of the race since she trails Obama across all fronts - pledged delegates, superdelegates and the popular vote.

Clinton has recently been claiming a lead over Obama in the popular vote, a debatable claim, especially because the Democratic National Committee doesn't count the votes of Florida and Michigan, which Clinton does.

Florida and Michigan were stripped of their delegates for scheduling their primaries too early, and Clinton was the only top-tier candidate whose name was on the ballot in Michigan.

Clinton's campaign also excludes the caucus states in their popular vote count.

Read full story

1. Nell, Huntington Beach, CA

Clinton leads in popular vote.

May 18, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  2. Destinee

Her problems is that she relies entirely too much on her experience...GW was experienced...look where we are now.

May 18, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  3. Former Obama Supporter

America NEEDS to hire Hillary!!!

May 18, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  4. Edith

She's delusional.

May 18, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  5. Mox

This is a job interview. Imagin someone going into any office with the record hes got. They would say we will call you dont call us.He has nothing going for him much.He puts himself out front the other day. He thinks all have only him in mind at all times. He prob thinks that song is about him. He IS so vain.This man could be very dangerous to our country, He is sneaky(bringing out Edwards to combat Hillarys win). His friends are less than desirable and his judgement in his own words is flawed.He tells only bits of truth.To much to come out yet. If he gets the nom. He will lose in Nov. Hillary will be written in.Slapping this large group of voters to keep Obamas from being upset is the worst decision Dems could make. It will be a cold winter for many.

May 18, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  6. Jen B.

As someone from one of the smaller caucus states I am very offended that Clinton's campaign excludes the votes cast there in their popular vote count.
    If she were the nominee, no doubt come November she would be screaming for my vote.
    Sadly, Clinton has lost it for good.

May 18, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  7. Independent Voter

I've already thought about it as a hiring decision! You AINT it! And
    Bill should have been FIRED for not doing his job. When he was
    having sex with Monica instead of taking care of business, he lost
    a great opportunity to do good things for this country. They spent the
    rest of their time bunkered down at the White House trying to lie their
    way out of the mess he created! Hillary also lied during that time. She
    doesn't remeber it now, of course! She claims to be such a champion for women's causes yet she degraded the very women Bill was having
    sex with! I don't care what he does on his own time and own dime, but
    when you are president, you are president 24/7; not just when it is in
    your own selfish interest! Even George Bush knows that!

May 18, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  8. Caroline

whatever, HillyBilly

May 18, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  9. AK in LA

As well as it should be. Obama now wearing the flag pin says it all. Is this the kind of tough stand he will take if were president?

May 18, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  10. Justin

Good point. An example of why people won't listen to this logic is the two terms we've given our current president.

May 18, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  11. Chris

Hello Clinton Supporters,

I want to appreciate and understand your concerns within the democratic party. I firmly believe that the only way we could win in Nov is through the use of a UNITED democratic party, with Obama or Clinton as the lead on the ticket. To that end, I want to inform you that I am a fervent Obama supporter. I offer you a challenge, please explain to me a rational reason why I should support Senator Clinton over Senator Obama, and I promise you should you do so, I will change my support and convince others to do the same.

Thanks,

Chris

May 18, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  12. LT for Obama

I was just listening to Clinton's speech in KY. She was saying that she wants to give us a holiday gas tax break "this summer".

My question is this: Summer is here, how are you going to pull this off if you are still running for the candidacy? By the time the president is selected, summer will be over.

Please explain to me how you will pull that rabbit out of your hat.

May 18, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  13. Stop The Baloney

Hillary always seems to think that if only she repeats something a sufficient number of times, people will start to believe it. Will someone please take this lady by the hand, and say:

No, Hillary, you did not win Texas.

No, Hillary, you have not won more of the popular vote.

Hillary, you cannot change the truth by repeating a falsehood – no matter how many times you repeat it.

May 18, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  14. Michigan Voter !!!

Obama Supporters ,

This Michigan Democrat Trusts John McCain , I Have No Problem Voting For Sen. John McCain This Fall .

Obama Has Gotten All The Support He Is Going To Get
    Fact Is He's Slipping With Voters Who Have Voted For Him In Past
    Primary States . !!!!!!

Blue Collar Voters Don't Trust Obama ........ Experienced Voters Know Obama Is Inexperienced , Just Talk ........... Half Of The Democratic Party Has Rejected Obama , They Won't Vote For Him ........... Facts Are facts !

If HIllary Does Not Get The Nomination For President ,,,.... John McCain Is Our Next President Of The United States !!!!!

Obama Doesn't Have A Snowballs Chance in Hell Of Winning This Fall !!!!!.

Hillary Or John McCain 2008

May 18, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  15. Bridgette

Hilary it is like interviewing for a job and you didn't get it. It's over and someone close to her needs to tell her that. It's enough already. She is talking the disenfranchisement of FL&MI, but, she wants to do that to milions of voters in the caucus states. That is just silly. You cannot change rules and traditions because you are loosing. Please have some dignity about yourself and stop this foolish arguments. It's about delegates not popular vote anyway. But you are loosing both of them. It is over now it's not funny anymore.

May 18, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  16. mmartin arkansaw

you are going to have to do better in math,if you want to manage the finances of this country.drop out,now.

May 18, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  17. LetsBhonest

We will... Our company (The United States of America) has learned the HARD way (thanks to W) that hiring family members is a BAD idea.

No more Clintons, No more Bush – end the oligarchy NOW!!!

May 18, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  18. An Ex Hillary Supporter

A hiring decision ???? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. I think I'll hire the honest candidate... OBAMA

May 18, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  19. Trisha

As an employer of the President of the United States, I would look closely at qualifications and who would bring the most to the company. Senator Clinton may have been around longer, but her vision for my company called the United States of America is old fashioned and stagnant. Her healthcare plan is wonderful, but has not been successful in any of its incarnations. Not to mention, it would cost my clients (my fellow Americans) money that some may not be able to afford. Her quick-fix solutions like the gas tax holiday wouldn't help my company in the long run, and may even cost us more money.

But when I see an eager up and comer named Barack Obama apply for the job, I see a whole new image for the company. An updated profile, with fresh ideas to help get my company back on the map. Providing a more comfortable international sector, cutting my losses on bad investments (The Iraq War), and investing in new, interesting ideas that could be immensely good for the company (alternative energy resources, a more flexible health care plan for lower income Americans, and an overhaul on the economy). Although both candidates for the job are a vast improvement over their predecessor, as a business man and someone who wants to invest in my company's future, I have to go with someone who shares my vision of a more involved government, one that I can be proud of.

So I'm sorry, Senator Clinton. You just aren't what I'm looking for right now to fill the position. But I will keep your application on file for any future job openings.

May 18, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  20. RB

Hey Michigan Voter,

What a load of garbage. Anyone who states they would vote McBush if Hillbilly doesn't win is obviously one of those hard working UNEDUCATED voters that she counts on.

Since Hillbilly and Obama have very similar ideas but different styles, jumping ship to McBush who is totally opposite of them shows you are hung up on skin color.

Get over it, GObama!

May 18, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  21. Venus The Super star

it's true she does have the popular vote. Obama would not have more than Clinton if Florida and michigan were counted. Obama chose to remove his name from the Michigan Ballot and blocked a revote. He doesn't deserve any of the delegates that will be seated from Michigan.

May 18, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  22. Griff

All you're Opponent talk's about is Change???? Can't he Change the Subject.....

May 18, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  23. Shotta Nic

Fact #1

There are hard-working BLACK blue collar voters also, I know that might be a surprise to some Hillary supporters.

Fact #2

Obama has recieved many blue collar white votes, but "some" people will never vote for Obama.

***
    I just don't understand why people are afraid to admit that there are many people who just dont want to see a black president (West Virginia). If you are prejudice, dont fool yourself, just admit it and move on.

I find it hilarious that those who claim that Obama cannot win, can't support that claim with anything substantial. If you don't like Obama, thats fine, but please examine yourself and figure out the reasons why you don't like him.

Its hard to imagine an elitist black man who grew up with a single white parent and hates America because of slavery, which he symbolizes by not wearing a flagpin and is running for president for the same country that he hates. Lets be realistic, and stop the unwarranted hating.

May 18, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  24. Mox

I believe maybe Obama started out with a different idea in mind. Maybe he lost it along the way and is now just on an ego trip. His supporters cannt see through him cause I dont think theres anything to see. He is just another politician doing and saying anything he needs to. Sweety is an example;He has no use for women another example is your ok Hillary.He is a womanizer and thinks himself so far above it is scary. There are religions believe this but we arent allowed to murmur them or we will be called biased and worse.Any one makes fun of people like he does on the stump and did in Ca. is not one to be trusted. His ideas on issues are like Hillarys cause they were hers.only a couple reasons but there are more. Hope you get the drife. He will not win Nov.

May 18, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  25. Ogirl

It is about time we in the Democratic Party are getting around to impeaching the Clintons. If we had any real principles, we Democrats would have impeached Clinton in 1999, and allowed Al Gore to be President. Then we would not have had Bush in 2000 and no Iraq war.

In 2000, we screamed about counting every vote in Florida. We criticized the rules back then. Now we bow down to the rules of Howard Dean and his buddies, and refuse to count any votes in Florida. And what lesson have we learned?

May 18, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |