May 18th, 2008

Clinton: 'Think about this as a hiring decision'

Sen. Hillary Clinton has vowed to stay in the race until all states have a say.
Sen. Hillary Clinton has vowed to stay in the race until all states have a say.

(CNN) - Despite Sen. Barack Obama's commanding lead in the delegate count, Sen. Hillary Clinton campaigned hard Sunday, telling voters she's "running for the toughest job in the world."

Clinton spent her weekend in Kentucky, which, along with Oregon, holds its Democratic contest Tuesday.

Clinton is favored in Kentucky, while polls show Obama with a comfortable lead in Oregon.

Speaking in Bowling Green, the senator from New York said it was a "treat" to have the whole state to herself since Obama would not be returning there.

Clinton has faced calls to drop out of the race since she trails Obama across all fronts - pledged delegates, superdelegates and the popular vote.

Florida and Michigan were stripped of their delegates for scheduling their primaries too early, and Clinton was the only top-tier candidate whose name was on the ballot in Michigan.

Clinton's campaign also excludes the caucus states in their popular vote count.

Read full story

1. MikeT

To compare “democratically,” a primary-elected delegate represents an average of 12,283 voters, while a caucus-elected delegate represents only 2,073 voters – making caucus voters 5.9 times more important than primary voters.

In West Virginia about 357,000 people voted – nearly 1/3 the number that voted in ALL 17 caucuses – yielding 28 delegates compared to the 515 delegates allocated in the caucuses – more than 18 times the number received by West Virginia.

May 18, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  2. Jeanne

I have thought of it as a hiring decision and I decided Hillary Clinton wasn't the person for the job. I also considered John McCain and decided he wasn't the person for the job. Now I have to find out about and consider each 3rd party candidate because I have voted for an independent since 1990 but I suspect that I will vote for Obama for this position because I do believe he is the right person for this job – the presidency of the USA.

May 18, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  3. Paula

Hilary know it better, the vote cannot be count since the name of another party was not on the list. THAT IS FRAUD or CHEAT wish is a serious crime. Why don't she accept to have 50% and another 50% ?

May 18, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  4. Democrat in Houston

Hillary, I hope you don't support Obama if you're not the nominee. I will vote for McCain if that's the case.

OBAMA CAN NOT BE TRUSTED.

May 18, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  5. Ilona Proud Canadian

Typical White Male from Michigan,

You are definitely entitled to your opinion, but please, now just take an hour or so, to do some research on your favourite candidate. I will give you some tips. Check Bill's pardon of two convicted weathermen killers, (same organization as William Ayers) check up on Bill's $800,000 cheque from the Colombia Government., check up on Bill's pardoning of his half brother, check up on the reason neither Bill's or Hillary's siblings are not on the campaign trail, why aren't they supporting their sibling running for President. Check up on Paul vs Clinton. I can go on and on, but some things you will have to find out for yourself! Another tip, just google ....Hillary's siblings.

May 18, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  6. JC

We learned everything we need to know in kindergarten.
    Beyond that, it's too late. Once a liar, always a liar and it backfired.

This may be the first time Hillary tried for a job that is actually contested.

May 18, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  7. HILLARY HAS THE POPULAR VOTE!!!!!!

BASED ON INTELLIGENCE AND EXPERIENCE I WOULD HIRE HILLARY!!!!!!

SHE DOESN'T BACK DOWN EITHER AND CAN HOLD HER OWN IN A DEBATE!!!!!

THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT JOB IN THE WORLD!!!!!

I TRUST HILLARY AND A LOT OF OTHER PEOPLE DO TOO!!!!!!

YOU HANG IN THERE HILLARY! I THINK THE SUPER DELEGATES WILL MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION!!!!!!!

YOU CAN WIN IN NOVEMBER!!!!!!!!

May 18, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  8. PA Democrat

Hillary Clinton is a disgrace. The Democratic primary race is over and Obama has won. Why did he win? He ran a better campaign and the result was that he earned more elected delegates and now leads in the super delegate count. The Clintons have tried to change the rules which is pathetic. Maybe, Hillary is thinking this is like Bosnia and the truth does not matter!!

The truth does matter and the truth is that she is done as a presidential candidate in 2008. Doubtful that she will be the VP on the ticket because she has displayed no maturity in these final few weeks.

May 18, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  9. Jordan Fitzpatrick

To All Clinton Supporters threatening to sabotage Obama, and set Hillary up for a 2012 victory–
    Conservative estimates indicate that, in the next four years, if our Country's current policies continue:
    -4,332,700 families will lose their homes.
    -3,000 soldiers will not come home from Iraq
    -3.5 million people will lose their jobs
    -2 Supreme court justices will be nominated
    Shame on you for your short-sighted, ill-informed protestations.
    Four years is a long time, we've seen what Bush has done with the last 7.5.
    But I forget– none of you have to fight a war, so "no big deal" right? I would like my husband home with his wife and children, but you would have him, and his fellow soldiers, waiting in the desert until 2012, so your candidate can receive her coronation.
    you disgust me, all of you.

May 18, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  10. Bitter Tommy Hussein in St. Louis

Funny how she says "every vote should count" but doesn't want to count votes in caucus states.

May 18, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  11. Linned

The real numbers don't lie – plain and simple.

May 18, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  12. Paula

Hiring decision, Hilary Clinton is not Bill Clinton, She had never been President, so the both candidates are running for their first time , what make her think some one will hire her base on experience ? What experiene???

May 18, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  13. HILLARY HAS THE POPULAR VOTE!!!!!!

OK CNN WHY ARE YOU BLOCKING MY POSTS?

IS IT BECAUSE I SAID HILLARY HAS MORE GUTS THAN OBAMA?

IF I WERE IN ANY SITUATION I WOULD WANT HILLARY ON MY SIDE ,NOT OBAMA HE IS A COWARD!!!!!!

THE FACT IS SHE IS READY TO BE PRESIDENT!!!!

OBAMA HAS BEEN BLOWN UP BY THE MEDIA TO BE SOMETHING HE IS NOT!!!!!!

WHAT HAS HE EVER DONE?

YOU STAY IN HILLARY!!!!!!!!!! WE ARE BEHIND YOU!!!!!

P.S. ALL THESE OBAMA PEOPLE SHOULD REALLY STOP SAYING ALL THESE CHILDISH NASTY THINGS!

IF YOU ARES SO SURE OF YOUR GUY WHAT IS THE POINT?

I AM SURE OF HILLARY!!!!!!!!

May 18, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  14. nonnie

I have seen and been interviewed and so I will offer my observations on the question of who would I hire? Let me see. I cannot go with someone who makes comments that I am the best for the job–how full of yourself do you have to be. I cannot go with someone who offers divisive comments about white working americans, is that all she intends to serve? I cannot go with someone who digs up past mistakes of another person and exploits it like they have never made a mistake. I will not go with someone who lies about a situation of being fired upon in a foreign country when in reality she was not, after all we are in a war that we were mislead by guess who's administration. So why Obama? Because I don't see much mud slinging from his side, I don't see him claiming just one sector of our society as putting him over the top-he seems to want to claim all the people, and I don't see him being divisive on color, creed, financial standing in our society. I see a man who is trying to give his best to us all, I see a man who admits his mistakes, I see a man who loves his family and I see a man who has a vision for the future of us all. I see a man who offers hope and I see someone who will pour his heart out to work for the betterment of us all. I take my hat off to him, because if Hillary and McCain said some of the things about me that they have about him, I'd want to strangle them, not be as gracious as he is. Being a Christian doesn't mean that we all haven't set in our church and heard our minister say things that were divisive and controversial, we all have. I didn't leave, because being a Christian means staying and trying to make those who say these things see that they are wrong. I guess we forgot that our Job as Christians is to stand in the face of diversity and controversial things and show what Christ would do. Of course, Hillary and McCain might not know that because I've never been convinced that either even go to Church to have a minister to show him the error of his ways.

May 18, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  15. Jordan Fitzpatrick

Mike T-
    I live in Wichita, KS. In my caucus site alone there were 3,000 voters, with the 4 other sites in town showing comparable numbers. We are one city in KS and we were 15,000 strong. You're figures are based on a dated idea of the caucus, and do not take into account the millions of voters who participated in the caucus for the first time in support of Sen. Obama.

May 18, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  16. HILLARY HAS THE POPULAR VOTE!!!!!!

OBAMA THINKS HE IS BETTER THAN THE REST OF US!!!!!!

HE DOESN'T EVEN SALUTE THE FLAG!!!!!!!

I HAVE A REAL PROBLEM WITH THIS!

THERE IS A VIDEO ON YOU TUBE SHOWING HIM, HILLARY, JOHN EDWARDS AND OTHER PEOPLE THE OTHER PEOPLE ARE ALL SALUTING EXCEPT OBAMA!

WHY IS THIS?

HE JUST RECENTLY STARTED WEARING THE FLAG BECAUSE HIS PR PEOPLE TOLD HIM TO!!!!!

HE MAKES ME VERY NERVOUS!
    I DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN!!!!!

OH I AM SURE THAT CNN WONT POST THIS ONE!!!!!!!

May 18, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  17. Independent

I don't see any answer to my question from Hillary supporters. Is it because you cannot justify what you put on these blogs? Show me one instance where she put up a fight to keep Fl and MI delegates before she started losing. You can't do it. It is easier to twist the numbers is fit your inane positions.

May 18, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  18. Hillary doesn't have the popular vote!!

And Hillary has worn a lapel pin for a long time. Who freaking cares. We have people losing their homes, their jobs, unable to put food on the table or pay for healthcare and our husbands, wives and children dieing in Iraq and this is what concerns you?

And saluting the flag is something service people do, not an average citizen.

And where or when did he ever say he's better than us. Are you really that ignorant that you believe anything as long as it's told to you enough?

Here's a suggestion, turn off the ALL CAPS. People generally don't like being yelled at.

May 18, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  19. Theogracias

Sorry we don't hire losers.

May 18, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  20. Paula

I just changed my mind, I was suppose to vote for Mccain, but because of same bush policy. People will not survive 8 more years if we give it to Mccain in November.

May 18, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  21. John

I always vote as though I was "hiring" somebody to represent me at whatever elected level. Senator Clinton it was nice talking with you; but, better luck next time.

May 18, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  22. Jane L.

Sen. Clinton is exactly right to point this out. If the voters behaved as an employer, they would logically choose her ten times over Obama. She is more qualified, more experienced, has more insight into the issues, has by far the strongest work ethic, and oh yes, she has more votes!
    If the DNC ignores the Obama-biased media, as it should, when the party "leaders" gather on May 31, this will logically end in Sen. Clinton's nomination. As her supporters, we are counting on not being railroaded!
    And next time, we expect these ridiculous cacauses and "rules" of the DNC to be abandoned, and a bona fide primary process carried out, that is, in the same way a general election would be. If that had been the case this time, Obama would never have worked his way into the position he's in and so divided the party as he has. Sen. Clinton would be the nominee already.

May 18, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  23. Bush, your a sick sick man

"Clinton has recently been claiming a lead over Obama in the popular vote, a debatable claim, especially because the Democratic National Committee doesn't count the votes of Florida and Michigan, which Clinton does.

Clinton's campaign also excludes the caucus states in their popular vote count."

She tries to make the argument that every vote should be counted, well what about the people who didn't vote because she signed an agreement (legally binding) that these vote won't be counted? What about the caucuses? Those votes won't be counted because there was no primary election in those states and the votes cannot be accurately counted. She didn't bother campaigning in these states because she said these votes didn't matter.

Flip Flop Pander Pantsuit Lady can try to change the rules all she wants, but we all know she lost. Go home Hillary. You're done.

May 18, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  24. kelley James

She cant even handle her campaign and its in debt. She cannot and will not follow any rules and regulation. She is not fair minded. How would this woman run the country? I think she is not a visionary. I am sorry I really do like her but I don't think she is up to it. Go OBAMA!!

May 18, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  25. unifier

to the ones who claim that hillary supporters will not vote for obama in the fall, how in the hell do you know?? have you called everyone in the effin united states of america to poll them on whether or not they will vote for obama. i didnt think so. so stop using your biased opinion trying to false represent those who have not yet spoken. you specifically may not vote for obama, but you dont know if anyone else will or not. especially you typically white male from michigan. just shut the hell up!! you people are so childish. Thank You

May 18, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |