May 18th, 2008

Huckabee says he'd like to be McCain's running mate

Mike Huckabee says even when he was John McCain's rival, he was always complimentary of him.

(CNN) - Former presidential candidate Mike Huckabee said Sunday he’s interested in John McCain’s No. 2 spot.

“There's no one I would rather be on a ticket with than John McCain,” the former Arkansas governor said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

“Let me point out that all during the campaign, when I was his rival, not a running mate, there was no one who was more complimentary of him publicly and privately,” he said.

Huckabee abandoned his presidential bid after McCain clinched the Republican nomination in early March.

When Huckabee announced his candidacy in January 2007, the former Baptist pastor was best known for his dramatic weight loss. The 52-year-old governor dropped more than 100 pounds after being diagnosed with diabetes in 2003.

Huckabee went on to finish first in the Iowa caucuses January 3, placing him among the top tier of Republican hopefuls.

He lagged behind Mitt Romney and McCain in the next round of contests, in New Hampshire and Michigan, and trailed McCain in South Carolina. However, his victories in the Deep South states of Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee and his native Arkansas in the February 5 Super Tuesday contests helped force Romney out of the race.

“I want to make sure you know [McCain] was my number two choice. I still wanted to win, but if I couldn't, John McCain, from always, was the guy I would've supported and have now supported,” Huckabee said.

Asked if it would help McCain if he were to be the vice president, Huckabee said that’s something only McCain can decide.

“I'm going to support him because I think he's the right person for America. I think he has the kind of seasoning and maturity that this country needs.”

Filed under: John McCain • Mike Huckabee
  1. Thoughts

Huckabee is a good guy with some good ideas, but if McCain wants to win, he needs to convice Conde Rice to be VP!

May 18, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  2. obamacrat

Hillary should be his choice.

May 18, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  3. KE

One good thing about democracy. The government works itself.

People may not always pick a right president all the time, but if necessary people can make sure NOT to pick a president who is not ready to lead the nation.

Obama and the Obama clan don't want a real degate.
    Obama and the Obama clan don't want a real vote.

Obama and the Obama clan are abusing democracy.

Hillary, McCain, and then Obama.

May 18, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  4. Patrick Peavy Plano,TX

I hope McCain doesn't pick him. I would like to have seen McCain/Romney but McCain is losing his edge that makes him different. If he sells out to the religious right anymore it will be really easy for me to unite behind the Democratic party if Hillary isn't the nominee. Bush and McCain and now Huckabee have really been making it easy for Democrats to unite.

May 18, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  5. Dan

This would be AWESOME! No way the democrats lose to these two blowhards.

May 18, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  6. T. Garrett Wright

Don't do it Johny!!!!!!! Huckabee needs to run for President on his own ticket, aren't the Fascist still looking for someone to run? It seems he would need very little tutorial to be successful on their side.

May 18, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  7. MDW

This guy is the worse of them all a bible toting clown Elmer Gantry revisted 2008. No way fella to you get the nod if the GOP has any sense. You are not slick as you may think –the pople know your game on both ends of the politacl spectrum.

Get a real job...

Go Bama!

May 18, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  8. Paul

Maybe if he shoots Barack Obama, McBush will give him the spot.

May 18, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  9. Catracho79

That ticket would be a joke. The only place Huckabee did well was amoung Southern Baptists. He got like what 4% in New York?

Also he is a religious bigot. If McCain chose him they would have a real chance of loosing Utah, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, California and Nevada. That is alot of good red ground lost right there plus a large swing prize in Cali.

May 18, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  10. John

He really want's to be VP really badly, just like Edward's. But I am baised as I am a Clinton supporter. I agree with what she said about the Republican's not running anybody as an apology. I'm worried about what might happen if he becomes VP. Evangelical Christains are the most dangerous ones and he is the ideal portrait of an EC. But, anyway John McCain isn't going to win, he's too old, too boring, and not enough conservatives like him.

May 18, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  11. Linda

This is great news! I hope that it works. I'm a democrate. I support Hillary, but I will vote the Republican ticket now that I know that Hillary will probably not get the nod for the democrates. I like Huckabee and I'm thinking of voting Republican so to me this is great. I hope that more Hillary supporters will do the same thing.

May 18, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  12. Mike from Westchester

While I find Huckabee somewhat enjoyable as a person, some of his views are a little scary. He is one of the three candidates in an early Republican debate to raise their hands when asked who did not believe in the theory of evolution. There is also video tape of him giving a speach where he states he thinks we should rewrite the constitution to strictly conform to biblical law. So much for freedom of religion. Jefferson would be turning in his grave.

Huckabee is one of the politicians that make the following slogan ring true:

The Republican Party – your bridge to the 11th century!

May 18, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  13. 58 white old ladies for OBAMA

SCUM BAG!!!!

May 18, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  14. deb jean p. DC

Excellent!

all our members of our church will go for the Mccain – huckabee ticket!

go Huck all the way!

May 18, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  15. Bitter Tommy in St. Louis

I think Christine V from Dallas needs to be added to the list of bloggers who are not real Democrats, as well as anybody who uses the word "Obamabots."

May 18, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  16. Candis

Huckabee lied when he went into office and guess what he slid in on a bad experience of Governor Clark here in Arkansas. The only thing he was successful in was losing weight. The only place he did not lose was in his fat head. Huckabee is a liar and deceitful scoundrel. He need a job to take care of Mrs. Shriek

May 18, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  17. Pam

That woud be one more reason not to vote for McCain.

May 18, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  18. Desmond Sequeira

Huckabee is welcome to join McCain as a runningmate. We are all running from you both, Mate.

May 18, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  19. David Goldman for OBAMA

THIS IS THE RNC IDEA OF A MAN OF GOD?

May 18, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  20. Steve

A McCain/Huckabee ticket is a strong ticket for guns and the family. The dream ticket of Obama/Clinton can't compete with this double punch.

May 18, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  21. BONZO

Christine V from Dallas TX.....YOU SUCK...LESBO

May 18, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  22. Mickey, NY

A McCain/Huckabee ticket is like stepping in dog crap...the smell just doesn't go away, no matter how much you clean your shoes. They are two peas in a pod..the loser and an even bigger loser. McCain spent 6 1/2 years in a bamboo cage..do we really want him with his finger on the button? The answer is NO. Huckabee is a bigot who hides behind God's words, and, like Bush who stated "God told me to go into Afghanistan & Iraq...", he is one gene short of being sane. Republicans have one agenda, and one agenda only: to destroy this country. No wonder these two are gravitating towards each other.

May 18, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  23. Helene

Great ! An old fool and a pompous buffoon. A real winning ticket. I am all for it.

May 18, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  24. petra

In the country of the blind,,,,where one eyed Man is the king,,,,thats where you (mike) can be the Vp,,,moreover i never knew this Moron and buffoon can still have the Gut to talk publicly,,nevertheless,,,you can run alongside MacCain,,imbeciles, nonentities,,,and shallow minded people like you will surely vote for you,,,,bear this at the back of your mind,,,GOD;s willing you both will and shall all be disgraced by Obama,,,mike an old big fool,i started to hate you from the day you open your rottening mouth and comment on Obama,,and i will hate you all my lifetime,,,your iq doesnt tally with your age,,,,,concern european,,koln

May 18, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  25. Curtis Bibb, Fruita, Colorado

R.I.F!!!! You may very wll be correct. Could this be the work of that villian Rush Limbaugh and his...."OPERATION CHAOS"!!!! Probably so!! Operation Chaos.....just like a Rightie.....fair elections aren't fair.....TO THEM!!!

May 18, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |