May 18th, 2008

Huckabee says he'd like to be McCain's running mate

Mike Huckabee says even when he was John McCain's rival, he was always complimentary of him.

(CNN) - Former presidential candidate Mike Huckabee said Sunday he’s interested in John McCain’s No. 2 spot.

“There's no one I would rather be on a ticket with than John McCain,” the former Arkansas governor said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

“Let me point out that all during the campaign, when I was his rival, not a running mate, there was no one who was more complimentary of him publicly and privately,” he said.

Huckabee abandoned his presidential bid after McCain clinched the Republican nomination in early March.

When Huckabee announced his candidacy in January 2007, the former Baptist pastor was best known for his dramatic weight loss. The 52-year-old governor dropped more than 100 pounds after being diagnosed with diabetes in 2003.

Huckabee went on to finish first in the Iowa caucuses January 3, placing him among the top tier of Republican hopefuls.

He lagged behind Mitt Romney and McCain in the next round of contests, in New Hampshire and Michigan, and trailed McCain in South Carolina. However, his victories in the Deep South states of Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee and his native Arkansas in the February 5 Super Tuesday contests helped force Romney out of the race.

“I want to make sure you know [McCain] was my number two choice. I still wanted to win, but if I couldn't, John McCain, from always, was the guy I would've supported and have now supported,” Huckabee said.

Asked if it would help McCain if he were to be the vice president, Huckabee said that’s something only McCain can decide.

“I'm going to support him because I think he's the right person for America. I think he has the kind of seasoning and maturity that this country needs.”

Filed under: John McCain • Mike Huckabee
  1. The Oracle

And to the disillusioned HRC supporters that REALLY seem to think HRC will run a 3rd party?? Keep dreaming. If you paid attention you'd see she and Obama are starting to coalesce as we speak. So keep hating and dreaming. You say we and BO are haters. But who's threatening to vote for McCain out of spite?? Like my 5 yr old daughter holding her breath when she doesn't get her way.

May 18, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  2. Lucky7

I often read comments on articles such as this one. I do not want to be a part of the kind of debate that I find taking place between most people on these blogs – hysterical, beyond reason, hateful, extreme ideologically and downright repulsive. I implore more level-headed people, those who are more reasonable and open-minded, to join the fray and be heard amongst those who are so "out there" in their beliefs and opinions. Only then, will we have a real debate about what matters to this country.

May 18, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  3. Mildred, OH

First do no harm.

I guess the Huckster lost his bid for the VP.

May 18, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  4. Julie

Nothing could make me NOT vote for McCain faster than putting Huckabee on the ticket. I cannot stand his sports analogies and good 'ol boy stories. He is ridiculous. If McCain is looking for somebody who al least will not say anything to make them look stupid, this is not the guy. Huckabee is a Hucka-bust.

May 18, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  5. The Oracle

Thats a good thought lucky. Alas, there is to much vindictiveness in the political field right now.

May 18, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  6. gladis

I am a white women from Holland. I hope that Obama will win the nominee. We are tired of war talk en war of the so called peace people.
    Most of the European do not need another was. Try first to stop the was in Irak.

Gladis

May 18, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  7. Darryl

zzzzHuckabeee sound a lot like the actor VP on the series 24.....

May 18, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  8. Caryn, WDC

Huckabee scares me. I truly hope that the possibility of him running on a ticket with McCain would stop any Hillary supporters from voting for the republicans.

These men would take away a woman's right to choose, help only the richest one percent, and work to put an end to gay rights if given the opportunity.

The thought of Huckabee having any influence over who gets elected to the Supreme Court is enough to make anyone sick with fear.

May 18, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  9. LT for Obama

As vice president, he needs to show more responsibility in chosing his words. What if he had told that joke about a world leader just because he was trying to make an off the cuff joke?

I don't care who the joke was directed at. In this country, kids are shooting kids daily. For this reason alone, that bad joke should have NEVER been told no matter what, especially at a NRA event.

The NRA supports gun ownership an rights but let's face it, unless people become more responsible, there needs to be some form of restrictions and controls to make gun ownership as safe as possible.

May 18, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  10. Sharon Minesota

Gosh, I wish he hadn't made that comment about aiming a gun at Barack Obama. It might have worked out for you but now not so much pal.

Also, you may have too much of a connection with the radical right wing evagelicals which would turn off a lot of a lot of democrats and independents. I would keep your day job for awhile.

May 18, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  11. Thomas

R.I.F.,

Unfortunately, those folks you identify are in fact democrats. They, like many other democrats, are so full of hate and arrogance that they can't see beyond the end of their nose.

May 18, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  12. WhiteWomanForObama

Hillary or Macain May 18th, 2008 3:36 pm ET

I hope they beat the crap out obamidiot…how is that for hope?

Hillary or Macain....
    YOU CAN"T EVEN SPELL McCain....lololol

May 18, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  13. Ann Marie

No matter who is on McCain's ticket, he will still lose. I don't think the GOP understands that they're running against destiny and a moment in history. This is not politics as usual. The favor of God is with Obama because he is honest and truthful. The Bible says in Proverbs 12:22, The LORD detests lying lips, but he delights in men who are truthful.

May 18, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  14. XDEM

No stupids, he did not say obama was ducking gun fire~someone showed him their gun~They were at an NRA convention where I'm sure a lot of people hate obama because he wants to take away THEIR RIGHT to carry a gun~so, to them they got the joke , cant expect you morons to get it!~
    Not to mention Huck has apologized all over himself over this but, I dont see Obama apologizing for his racist wife and pastor or for himself over his "typical white grandmother"

May 18, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  15. Jo Ann

I new he was wanting something from McCain, since he has been on all the channels giving his opinion like he is such an authority on everything. I truly hopes John McCain see though Huckbee and Rommey he would do better without their baggage. Think John McCain real long and good before choosing either one of these two.

May 18, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  16. Felly

Huckabee is an idiot. He is one of those that hide under the bible while preaching hate. Wondering how many guns he has in his closet.

May 18, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  17. Louis

Huckabee just lost my respect. What was he thinking? You see the way the cookie crumbles? A man's words can make or mar him. You have a case to answer with God Huckabee.

May 18, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  18. Nick

Hahaha!

Bring him on!

A VP that jokes about his presidential rival being shot... Yay! Sound very vice-presidential... Oh, and very much like a Baptist preacher too!

Go away Huck and take Hill with you... (Huck/Hill now there's a ticket!)

May 18, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  19. Anonymous

he's a lightweight, he gives mccain half of what he needs- evangalicals
    but mccains also needs someone strong with economy

May 18, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  20. Tex

What's the deal? Is McBush such a wimpy dofuss that he is unable to pick his own running mate?

Huckaby has to be the man with the largest ego in politics today, to make such a statement through the national media or he is betting that McBush, because of age and poor health, won't make it through his first term and being the Veep, he will be in the cat bird's seat to become the next Prez.

Huckaby and his tactic should be scaring everyone, especially McBush!

May 18, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  21. Val from MA

Huckabee is a great guy, but he is not the right person to be on the ticket as McCain's running mate. Since McCain's weakness is economy, he needs someone who would be able to complement him and we all know that genius is Mitt Romney.

McCain / Romney 08!

May 18, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  22. Sammy

Please, please, please Mr. McCain! Please choose Huckabee to run with you. We are counting on you!

- Sammy

May 18, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  23. Naomi

When will this clown realize that nobody likes him or his views on anything.

May 18, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  24. omt strebor

I DO BELIVE HE (HUCKABEE) IS A BIGOT, GOI BACK IN HIS HISTORY, IF I AM NOT WRONG HE DID SOME BOGOT THINGS,
    THIS HAS TO CARRY OVER TO THE V.P.
    ALSO, HE NEEDS A JOB HE IS DOING NOTHING NOW.
    JUST SETTING AROUNG AND WAITING

May 18, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  25. KIKI

Verry Funny to see a MCshame/HuckGunner Ticket. People like to be in a loosing team. Does it take a microscop to see McSame will loose?

May 18, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |