May 18th, 2008

Huckabee says he'd like to be McCain's running mate

Mike Huckabee says even when he was John McCain's rival, he was always complimentary of him.

(CNN) - Former presidential candidate Mike Huckabee said Sunday he’s interested in John McCain’s No. 2 spot.

“There's no one I would rather be on a ticket with than John McCain,” the former Arkansas governor said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

“Let me point out that all during the campaign, when I was his rival, not a running mate, there was no one who was more complimentary of him publicly and privately,” he said.

Huckabee abandoned his presidential bid after McCain clinched the Republican nomination in early March.

When Huckabee announced his candidacy in January 2007, the former Baptist pastor was best known for his dramatic weight loss. The 52-year-old governor dropped more than 100 pounds after being diagnosed with diabetes in 2003.

Huckabee went on to finish first in the Iowa caucuses January 3, placing him among the top tier of Republican hopefuls.

He lagged behind Mitt Romney and McCain in the next round of contests, in New Hampshire and Michigan, and trailed McCain in South Carolina. However, his victories in the Deep South states of Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee and his native Arkansas in the February 5 Super Tuesday contests helped force Romney out of the race.

“I want to make sure you know [McCain] was my number two choice. I still wanted to win, but if I couldn't, John McCain, from always, was the guy I would've supported and have now supported,” Huckabee said.

Asked if it would help McCain if he were to be the vice president, Huckabee said that’s something only McCain can decide.

“I'm going to support him because I think he's the right person for America. I think he has the kind of seasoning and maturity that this country needs.”

Filed under: John McCain • Mike Huckabee
  1. Tejano

KE, What experience. An organizer in Chicago. Attending a Racist Church. Getting gifts from corrupt businessman Rezko. Do I need say more. The man is not fit to shine Mccain's combat boots.

Which is what he will get in November. A Boot up his....Donkey.

May 18, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  2. GeorgeWBushIsTheBest

In all seriousness. Being McCain's VP is the most lucrative position in all of politics right now. With McCain's age, the odds of McCain relieving his position prematurely and making you the next president is probably a whole lot higher than any of the current VP choices' chances to win outright when they run alone.

May 18, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  3. FEDUP

I've read other comments that say a true democrat will not vote for McCain. What do you think of the Reagan Democrats? A lot of them, myself included, could not stomach the Democrats nominee. The same thing will happen if Obama is the nominee. You want to YELL race. Never mind the fact his doesn't salute the flag. Never mind that he sat in an Anti-American church for twenty years. Never mind he would rather vote present then take a stand. Never mind his wife is as Anti-American as he is. Never mind he can say he is for change and rely on the old guard for his support. Never mind he thinks of women as "sweeties". Never mind he has some very unsavory friends. Never mind he will meet with our adversaries, unconditionally. With a lot more 'never minds' in his resume, I will write Hillary Clinton on my ballot in November.

May 18, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  4. Observer

No way – it has to be Rice for VP!

May 18, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  5. Bayou Joe

NO NO NO Not Huckabee. Take a hike Huckabe. WE want the man with experience,,, Mitt Romney. For VP.

May 18, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  6. Mike from tx

It will GOOD for OBAMA. He can easily beat them.
    I think We will enjoy the event as a Obama FAN.

May 18, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  7. Bush, your a sick sick man

"Linda May 18th, 2008 4:15 pm ET

This is great news! I hope that it works. I'm a democrate. I support Hillary, but I will vote the Republican ticket now that I know that Hillary will probably not get the nod for the democrates. I like Huckabee and I'm thinking of voting Republican so to me this is great. I hope that more Hillary supporters will do the same thing."

This one isn't even a Hillary supporter. Can anyone say "Operation Chaos"?

May 18, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  8. S. M. Bell

So he's an appeaser. If McCain is elected president and "kicks off" while in the White House, which he most likely will--the next man up will be an appeaser, the same insult granted to Obama as a reason he shouldn't be president by the Republican party. Huckabee once again has managed to damage with his gossip-sorry Reverend, I meant "gospel."

May 18, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  9. Farrell, Houston, Tx

HUCKABEE'S RUNNING MATE IS THE DEVIL BECAUSE HE SURE AIN'T NO GOD FEARING PERSON AND HAS THE NERVE TO CALL HIMSELF A PREACHER. HE'S THE DEVIL HIMSELF.

May 18, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  10. Sharon Minesota

Everyone on this blog, ignore RLF's rant about taking away the free speech of anyone but the Obama supporters. But please do ignore all the trash put out by the Obama people who have besmirched (big word for you RLF?) everyone involved in this campaign except for their messiah, Barack Obama.

May 18, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  11. dsimcha

As a libertarian-leaning independent, I was quite happy with John McCain as the Republican nominee. I felt that this might be a sign that the Repubs are finally getting away from religious fanaticism and re-embracing a more secular, free-market brand of conservatism. Right now I might vote for Obama for a more doveish foreign policy and more liberal positions on cultural issues, or McCain for his more pro-free market bent. However, if McCain picks Huckabee as his running mate, he will lose all credibility with the secular fiscal-conservative wing. If this happens, I'll gladly put up with as much socialist economic policy as I have to to prevent another 4 years of dominance of this country by holier-than-thou religious fanatics.

May 18, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  12. Debra

Politicians always try to please everyone and in the process, say only writer's words or rehearsed talking points. Huckabee always has spoken without any notes and from the heart. His intentions have never been mean-spirited or intentionally used to attack someone. Because we have seen his character and integrity in the past, and have once again seen his humanness by making an unintentional error and quickly apologizing–we should embrace such a leader! How refreshing to know a leader that we can TRUST!

May 18, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  13. Markus

No way............, religious nut job.

May 18, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  14. Chanel

On one side, Huckabee would provide balance to McCain's sudden swing to the left, but after Huckabee's recent comment about Obama... ... I don't think it would be wise of McCain to choose him. The Dems WILL have a field day with it. He's better off choosing a young Romney.

May 18, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  15. Michael

Oh, my gosh. This man cannot be the Vice President. He's an ordained Baptist minister. Do we really want a minister preaching everyday to America about "his values"? And how his values are the "right ones"? America has already shown him that he shouldn't be President, what makes him think we want him as a Vice President? I really hope John McCain thinks long and hard on this one. Regardless, the Republicans probably won't win in November anyways, so maybe I should stop worrying!

May 18, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  16. I don't like spin

This whole entry is amusing. It makes you think that Huckabee was out lobbying to try and be asked to fill the position.

First of all, I actually watched Meet the Press today, and saw the whole segment with the discussion.

Huckabee was responding to the question of whether or not he would like to be McCain's running mate. This posting on the political ticker does not include the statement that he also made saying that really is up to McCain to decide who he thinks will be the best choice, nor really a context for his answer to the question. It's a pretty safe bet that any of the former candidates from the GOP would be interested in the VP slot. Hardly real "news" here.

May 18, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  17. Citizen USA

This is absolutely the best choice that McCain could make. It creates such balance. Conservative and liberal on the same team, both supporting real American Liberty. McCain will be smart to say yes to Mike on the ticket.

May 18, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  18. Oak Park For Obama

Doesn't this hillbilly have a bango to strum? Here's hoping the Republicans go down in flames in November.

Obama 08!

May 18, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  19. Pat M

That Minister is Way Out Of Line!!!!! And should be taken to task.
    He is Definitely a Republican. Leave your politics at the door of the Church Mr. And you should have directed your comments to Bill not Hillary. I'm getting tired of Americans using Hillary as a vehicle to get to Bill Clinton.

He should read the verse Judge Ye Not, Lest Ye Be Judged!
    What a NERVE and what disrespect! He should have gave a sermon on how noble women are who stand by their man for the sake of their children and family after being humiliated. And what strength it takes to do so. A strength that only God can render and one that apparently some Ministers feel is their duty to put ASUNDER. Digusting religious practice to say the least!

May 18, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  20. I don't like spin

May 18, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  21. Pat M

OH Sorry Somehow I got on the wrong thread! Not intentional.

May 18, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  22. It is finished

Please chose Huckabee as your running mate McCain. It will make the democrats job that much easier. Besides can someone tell me the difference between Huckabee and Rev. Wright? Both are preachers who just don't know when to shut up!

May 18, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  23. Montana is Obama Country

.............I can see it now...

.......SONGBIRD MCCAIN LIKES HUCKELBERRIES........

May 18, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  24. Jess, Colorado Springs. Co.

"You ungrateful, blasphemous fool. Christ/McCain 2008"

lol

Democrat 08'- seriously, you guys need to relax, take a good look at the direction of each party, and get a grip on where you stand. Black man, White women- Whatever, it's the direction that matters- get it?

May 18, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  25. C3F3

I am very alarmed at how fierce and hurtful the comments have been here. I think everyone has forgotten that there are real people with real feelings behind these entries. There is too much ferocity in them to be considered opinions. The article is only biased in that it did not negatively point out any problems in McCain or Huckabee, just raw facts–“Huckabee said,” instead of “Huckabee thinks” or “Huckabee's intentions are,” etc. An opinion is what evidence we use, how we analyze that evidence, and what our presuppositions are. Do not try to fill in the missing rationale with emotion.
    And now for my OPINION: As a conservative, I approve the McCain-Huckabee ticket, because it would draw many of those conservatives that dislike or hate McCain. In my OPINION, McCain is the best of the three main candidates, although I would have preferred Huckabee for president.

Disclaimer: The above comment is C3F3's personal OPINION.

May 18, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |