May 18th, 2008

Huckabee says he'd like to be McCain's running mate

Mike Huckabee says even when he was John McCain's rival, he was always complimentary of him.

(CNN) - Former presidential candidate Mike Huckabee said Sunday he’s interested in John McCain’s No. 2 spot.

“There's no one I would rather be on a ticket with than John McCain,” the former Arkansas governor said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

“Let me point out that all during the campaign, when I was his rival, not a running mate, there was no one who was more complimentary of him publicly and privately,” he said.

Huckabee abandoned his presidential bid after McCain clinched the Republican nomination in early March.

When Huckabee announced his candidacy in January 2007, the former Baptist pastor was best known for his dramatic weight loss. The 52-year-old governor dropped more than 100 pounds after being diagnosed with diabetes in 2003.

Huckabee went on to finish first in the Iowa caucuses January 3, placing him among the top tier of Republican hopefuls.

He lagged behind Mitt Romney and McCain in the next round of contests, in New Hampshire and Michigan, and trailed McCain in South Carolina. However, his victories in the Deep South states of Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee and his native Arkansas in the February 5 Super Tuesday contests helped force Romney out of the race.

“I want to make sure you know [McCain] was my number two choice. I still wanted to win, but if I couldn't, John McCain, from always, was the guy I would've supported and have now supported,” Huckabee said.

Asked if it would help McCain if he were to be the vice president, Huckabee said that’s something only McCain can decide.

“I'm going to support him because I think he's the right person for America. I think he has the kind of seasoning and maturity that this country needs.”

Filed under: John McCain • Mike Huckabee
  1. Moe

i think McCain ( or however u spell his name) should get Conda Lisa Rise (yet again sry if i spelled it wrong) to run with him...i think that just more people like obama or cilton more that him and some people are just demcrates but with her i think he would have more of a chance than with hucabee

May 18, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  2. Claudia Wray

OMG ! Please protect our future President Barack Obama and his Family. The statement made By Mike Huckabee is frightening. I used to support him but I am very concerned about his comments.

May 18, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  3. Bud in NC

Hey Huckabee. With your comment about shooting at Obama. maybe, just maybe you put a thought into some wackos mind who may put you in their gun sight. You're either dumb or deranged. Think about it sweetheart.

May 18, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  4. Claudia Wray

OMG ! Please protect our future President Barack Obama and his Family. The statement made By Mike Huckabee is frightening. I used to support him , when he was a presidential candidate running for president ....i am no longer supporting him and I am very concerned about his comments.

May 18, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  5. TimD

I'm a life long Republican who might hold his nose and vote for McCain, but if Huckabee were on the ticket I would contribute my money and my vote to the Democrats

May 18, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  6. Jawahar Chirimar

ok so now that huckabee has planted the idea of training a gun at Obama in the mind of millions in this country what else would he like to do?

Maybe cracka joke aboout Obama running away from Nooses hanging from a Tree like the KKK used?

No wait – he is a true Christian so these are obviously harmless jokes and the most definitely qualify as the VP!!!!

Gun aimers, rope hangers, white mask wearers, Hagee, Ex drug addict wife, S&L Crisis scandal – what else will this ticket have?

Someone should tell the Republicans that this is a presidential race not a Halloween party.

i also think UN should send a peace keepign force to US to oversee these elections and especially guard Obama. Since after hearing the internal racist views of the secret service it is not clear if they will protect him.

After 7+ years of Bush I had no idea of what could be worse. But seeing the Republicans and the racial hatred in this country now I know what can be worse.

YES I AM ASHAMED OF THE STATE OF AFFAIRS AND EVERY CONCERNED INDIVIDUAL OUGHT TO BE

May 18, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  7. Citizen USA

If McCain picks Romney, he will for certain loose. He could not pull enough support as it is will all his big money he spent. As it stands now, I'm holding my nose to pull the lever for McCain. Pick Romney and McCain loose my vote along with hundreds of thousands more who will not vote come Nov. 4th.

May 18, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  8. dwho

Is that why the Big Bee had a joke about Obama? I have questions for Hbee. Why did you leave the pulpit to be governor for 4 times. And what did you achieve by promoting the gospel of Jesus Christ? Do you believe in war? What is your moral life.
    I know most christain wants a God fairing man in the White House. But one they have not come to realize is that the president of a nation is not a minister of the gospel. He/she is a minister of civil and costitulatonal laws. Not the Bible

May 18, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  9. Nevada Mom

Perfect.
    Dumb (I'm not much of an expert on the economy – McCain)
    and
    Dumber (I literally believe the earth is 6000 years old – Huckabee)

May 18, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  10. Djools from the Netherlands

His Talent Agency told him he would make a great vp. "Huck you have a great voice". And they also showed him how to win people over by making a joke.

May 18, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  11. Steve McClaire

They are the diametral opposite of a dream ticket.

PRICELESS...

May 18, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  12. Bush, your a sick sick man

"gary May 18th, 2008 3:20 pm ET

BIAS —HOLES CNN. DONT LIKE THE TRUTH THAT OBAMA IS GOING TO LOOSE IN NOV. THATS GOOD HUCKLEBEE.
    DEMS ARE LOOSING IF HRC IS NOT THE NOMINEE. US UNEDUCATED CLINTON SUPPORTERS ARE SENDING SCHOOL BOY OBAMA BACK TO SCHOOL WHERE HE BELONGS. WE TOOK ENOUGH HATE FROM HIS FOLLOWERS ,COME NOV. MC CAIN IS LOOKING REAL GOOD T US. BEING BIAS AND CRUEL AGAINST OUR ONLY PRAYER (HRC) WILL SHOW YOU ALL THAT WE WILL HAVE THE LAST LAUGH. AMERICA DESERVES EVERYTHING THEY G OBAMA. WE NEED A REAL LEADER NOT A GREENHORN DICTATOR. PEOPLE.OBAMA HAS SHOWN HIS CHANGE. HATE,RACIST AND DIVISION. AMERICA CAN NOT TAKE SO MUCH CHANGE ALL AT ONCE. HE TALKS FUTURE ,BUT HE PUTS US BACK 100 YRS. OBAMA IS ONE BIG JOKE, AND SO IS THIS RACE"

Oh gary, you are the reason we poke fun at Hillary supporters. you just don't get it.

May 18, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  13. Linda Rayborn

There is NO ONE The Republicans would rather have on the ticket with John McCain than Mike Huckabee!!!! We are so excited at the prospect of these two great leaders running on the ticket together! Mike Huckabee represents politics at it's very best! He has a proven record of great accomplishments in Arkansas. I have been inspired by his courage, tenacity,character, integrity and ability to look at all sides of a situation. It is this type of leadership we need going forward in Washington. He compliments John McCain in every way!!!

McCain/Huckabee'08.....priceless!!!! Where do I get my yard sign??

May 18, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  14. StopThinkVote

Well that train has already left the station....

May 18, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  15. Kay Carnes

Best news I've heard since Super Tuesday!!!!! Please, choose Governor Huckabee. Senator McCain and Governor Huckabee are both unique Republicans who are more interested in vertical politics, moving forward to the betterment of ALL Americans, than right or left. They are authentic, principled men who love this country and the people in it. There is no one better for the vp than Mike Huckabee. He makes me so proud to be a Republican!!!!

May 18, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  16. FreshAir

BRILLIANT!

LOL! Dems are going to be able to go on vacation for the whole summer, the GOP is in such a sad state. It's starting to seem unfair. -beat- NOT!

May 18, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  17. Stephen

Huckabee's foolish joke about Obama and the gun in no way indicate that he is a racist. He has a long history of support for and within the black community, unlike Rev. Wright, who has a long history of distorted, racially biased views that keep his people in bondage for his own political gain rather than freeing them.

We need Huckabee's "Wal-mart Republican" populism and fresh ideas, not a fat-cat Wall Street Republican or knee-jerk conservative with their head in the sand. But even they pale in comarison to today's hate-filled, angry left that has lost all perspective and all civility.and has no peer in hypocrisy, bigotry, and just plain selfishness.

May 18, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  18. Herman in LA

The Republican Party is so full of it it's a shame. The republicans are for major corporations and the democrats are for the people.

I chose to be for the people.

100% demarcate – Obama / Governor Kathleen Sebelius 08!!!

May 18, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  19. Stephanie Rayborn

Mike Huckabee, to me, is the only choice for Vice president. He's a role model for young people in this crazy world. As a young republican, i would be proud to cast my first vote for Mccain/Huckabee.

May 18, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  20. Clint H

The only chance McCain has is if terrorist bomb America between now and the election or If he choses Mitt Romney as his VP.

The discussion needs to be about the economy and how we are going to fix it. Romney is a pro on the economy and everyone would believe him.

Now if McCain choses Huck.... good luck.

Mitt 2012

May 18, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  21. Adam C

Hola, you and McCain can not run but you can not hide. Enough GOP crap. Time for new direction.

May 18, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  22. Montana is Obama Country

That would scare the B-JESUS out of me having Dumb & Dumber in the WH........

May 18, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  23. sam

Huckleberry for VP what a joke...Lets talk about his stupid comment at the NRA about Obama...an apology will not do,,,this man is a hate monger and needs to go back to Ark and stay

May 18, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  24. willowood

Another looser on the ticket...hire him...a role model with a gun making jokes about killing. sounds like a good republican addition to me.

May 18, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  25. Pat

Huckabee needs a reality and a tongue check.

May 18, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |