May 18th, 2008

Huckabee says he'd like to be McCain's running mate

Mike Huckabee says even when he was John McCain's rival, he was always complimentary of him.

(CNN) - Former presidential candidate Mike Huckabee said Sunday he’s interested in John McCain’s No. 2 spot.

“There's no one I would rather be on a ticket with than John McCain,” the former Arkansas governor said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

“Let me point out that all during the campaign, when I was his rival, not a running mate, there was no one who was more complimentary of him publicly and privately,” he said.

Huckabee abandoned his presidential bid after McCain clinched the Republican nomination in early March.

When Huckabee announced his candidacy in January 2007, the former Baptist pastor was best known for his dramatic weight loss. The 52-year-old governor dropped more than 100 pounds after being diagnosed with diabetes in 2003.

Huckabee went on to finish first in the Iowa caucuses January 3, placing him among the top tier of Republican hopefuls.

He lagged behind Mitt Romney and McCain in the next round of contests, in New Hampshire and Michigan, and trailed McCain in South Carolina. However, his victories in the Deep South states of Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee and his native Arkansas in the February 5 Super Tuesday contests helped force Romney out of the race.

“I want to make sure you know [McCain] was my number two choice. I still wanted to win, but if I couldn't, John McCain, from always, was the guy I would've supported and have now supported,” Huckabee said.

Asked if it would help McCain if he were to be the vice president, Huckabee said that’s something only McCain can decide.

“I'm going to support him because I think he's the right person for America. I think he has the kind of seasoning and maturity that this country needs.”

Filed under: John McCain • Mike Huckabee
  1. Linned

He does need a job because he sucks at comedy.

May 18, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  2. Ex-marine

I find it really disturbing that huckabee a so called preist, can get away with a remark like, suggesting a gun be pointing at ANY human being.

May 18, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  3. Jason from Colorado

Please McCain, please pick Huckabee. Barack will win a walk against that ticket. Go for it. Like McCain said on SNL, why not give Edwards another chance? Why not give Huckabee another chance... to be VP?

May 18, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  4. Brian

My money is on Ms. Rice!! She is a Christian, black and also a very very smart woman a hell of a lot smarter then Hillary! I would love to see her be VP that would elimate some of the black vote! I be it will be either black man or a woman with Condi you have both! It would bleed some of the black vote from Obama! It would be a genius move on his part if he would pick Condi!

May 18, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  5. PCS / North Carolina

Sure, after his stupid racist gun joke towards Obama at the N.R A. If Obama gets shot at , we know who is behind. Is he really a preacher ? If you are "Pro Life", then you should not promote pleasure killing (Hunting, dog fighting). Animal life is just as precious as a Human life.

May 18, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  6. Donald from SC

I have had a great deal of respect for this man. But, to so deliberatly want to be with McCain is disturbing. Mr. Huckabee you have fallen.

May 18, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  7. Will

Mike, who?

May 18, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  8. maria

Christine V you have some serious race issues of your own

Whomever would vote for Mccain to keep from voting for an Afro-American ( and it could be Hispanic, American Indian person ) is self defeating because McCain and Hillary ,in my opinion, have been in office so long that they are both out of touch with the average American ( of all colors and finances).
    We do need a change of policies , my greatest fear for Obama and his family ( his children too) is with the comment like the one made by Huckabee is too close to home. The politicians and weathy will stop at nothing , including killing, to keep a good thing going... remember both Kennedy's, Martin Luther King just to name a few.

May 18, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  9. Just My Opinion...

Having grown up in a house with a minister as a father and a mother who was holier-than-thou, as I became an adult I looked upon most ministers as the lowest forms of hypocrisy. I will never trust them. However, I wanted Hucklebee to win the nomination because I DID believe in his principles. Again, I have been proven wrong. After that racist and lowest form of a remark he made regarding Sen. Obama. I can't stand the sight of him anymore. Another low-life parading around as a minister. Why no outrage about this? While I am against guns period and would NEVER allow one in my house, I hope I live long enough to see Hucklebee have to regret that comment (not in he form of violence). He thinks he can just say I made a stupid remark and laugh it off. He is sadly mistaken. There are certain things that will never be funny. I hope the families who have lost their loved ones and had them taken away too early NEVER let him forget what he said.

May 18, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  10. Chut Pata

Better him than the neo-con Romney.

May 18, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  11. Julie

I could not vote for a man that thinks the constitution should be ammended to conform to the bible. No, he's not what our country needs right now, or ever.

May 18, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  12. M.I.R.B.S.

Huckabee is doing a "De Da Dee" manuver. He's insane!

May 18, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  13. XDEM

To Maria and other obama supporters totting the race card~ Why am I a racist because I will not support Obama??? Why cant it be that I am a PROUD white AMERICAN WOMAN that is inspired by the only female candidate. That I believe in my heart that she is the ONLY one running that can do the job. I dont believe in Obama, at all, I feel he is unAmerican, along with his wife and pastor, he keeps company with individuals that are undesirables. But, it is accepted that over 90% of African Americans vote for him and they are not considered racist~He will not have my vote because, I will vote with my conscience and not the dem party.

May 18, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  14. Godwin

Does he have to beg to be picked as veepee??

May 18, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  15. Truth

He's such a Douchebag !!! After that racist comment/joke about a gun pointed at Obama the other day....he's lost every little bit of respect from me and Im pretty sure from many other people too. What a loser !!! I hope he does become McCain's VP choice. Sooo it will make it even easier for Obama to win in November !!!

May 18, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  16. Mary

Huckabee for VP and McCain has my vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 18, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  17. Student from CA

I supported Huckabee during the primaries and I'd love to see a McCain-Huckabee ticket. I just hope the "joke" doesn't ruin his chances.

May 18, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  18. Diana New York

Shame on you clown for that tasteless joke about Obama. How stupit can you be?

May 18, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  19. sumac61

Oh, please, McBush, take him. Such an easy target....

May 18, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  20. Former Republican from Florida, and I'm white, so there

in my opinion, huckabee is a crazy person. he has suggested openly that he would, as president, rewrite the constitution to be more in line with the bible. just look it up and you can see the video for yourself.

what kind of crazy psycho would say such a thing and then expect to be elected to the white house?

May 18, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  21. MBFLA

Tell me who is going to vote for an old warmonger and a racist religious kook? Oh, nevermind, the same kind of people who still think Bush and Cheney are doing a great job!

May 18, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  22. Dragon

Huckabee may have been one of the smartests of all of the men running for the nomination. He certainly had the most complete, thoughtful, wideranging, and fresh look at the issues. He recognized energy, and the economy as national security issues, whereas everyone else had tunnel vision. I sincerely hope Huckabee will have made an impression on McCain in that respect.

I see there are a number of people name-calling on this board, with nothing backing it up. I think if they were more familiar with Huckabee, not to mention McCain, they would not have made such sophomoric remarks. Certainly, Huckabee wanted to be president for everyone. He has not one racist bone in his body, contray to the misinformed among us, here.

May 18, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  23. Otto

Suppose he makes the same quips as he did the other day?
    Duck...he comes Chaney and the Huck behind him.

May 18, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  24. Brian

Huckabee is a total joke. Two days after his totally ridiculous comment about Obama ducking from gunfire, he announces he should be McCain's running mate. Hmmm....me thinks it's to take the focus off his comments and put them back on his political career. Although as an Obama supporter, it'd be great to see McCain self-destruct even more by having Huckabee as his running mate. Entertainment before our eyes...

May 18, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  25. Jeff, North Dakota

Mike Huckabee has thrown his political future away by supporting McCain. Supporting McCain is just like supporting Bush: a losing proposition. Yes, Bush will have been in office for two terms when he finally leaves in January, but his exaggerations, obfuscations, and lies, and his war of terror in Iraq, have irreparably damaged this nation. McCain is more of the same, probably worse.

May 18, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |