May 18th, 2008

Huckabee says he'd like to be McCain's running mate

Mike Huckabee says even when he was John McCain's rival, he was always complimentary of him.

(CNN) - Former presidential candidate Mike Huckabee said Sunday he’s interested in John McCain’s No. 2 spot.

“There's no one I would rather be on a ticket with than John McCain,” the former Arkansas governor said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

“Let me point out that all during the campaign, when I was his rival, not a running mate, there was no one who was more complimentary of him publicly and privately,” he said.

Huckabee abandoned his presidential bid after McCain clinched the Republican nomination in early March.

When Huckabee announced his candidacy in January 2007, the former Baptist pastor was best known for his dramatic weight loss. The 52-year-old governor dropped more than 100 pounds after being diagnosed with diabetes in 2003.

Huckabee went on to finish first in the Iowa caucuses January 3, placing him among the top tier of Republican hopefuls.

He lagged behind Mitt Romney and McCain in the next round of contests, in New Hampshire and Michigan, and trailed McCain in South Carolina. However, his victories in the Deep South states of Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee and his native Arkansas in the February 5 Super Tuesday contests helped force Romney out of the race.

“I want to make sure you know [McCain] was my number two choice. I still wanted to win, but if I couldn't, John McCain, from always, was the guy I would've supported and have now supported,” Huckabee said.

Asked if it would help McCain if he were to be the vice president, Huckabee said that’s something only McCain can decide.

“I'm going to support him because I think he's the right person for America. I think he has the kind of seasoning and maturity that this country needs.”

Filed under: John McCain • Mike Huckabee
  1. kayinmaine

Maybe John McCrazy's running mate should be a hospital bed or a wheelchair. Hey! He's gonna need both!

And how many lobbyists have left his campaign? The number is getting high! The last one had ties to the Saudi government.

I'm at a point that it won't surprise me to find out one of John McCain's lobbyist has been in Iran for years lobbying on behalf of Halliburton, even though Dick Cheney pulled Halliburton out of Iraq two years ago.

May 18, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  2. After further review,Texas

Not even McCain is that stupid.

May 18, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  3. sewong

After his bad joke about Obama being aimed and ducking for cover,from a gunman.He wants be to VP,a bad joke.I hope this time as VP (a dream like his chances of winning the nomination)he is not going to shoot his friend on the face, like the current VP did since it shows they all like aiming and shooting!

May 18, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  4. Tayuh

Cnn.. i demand that you publish my comments!

May 18, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  5. Drew, Central FL

McFossil and Schmuckabee?!?! Old and stupid FTL!

Looks like the end of days might actually be here.

On the upside, it just might be great for the democrats.

May 18, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  6. MIKE

From a democrat's point of view this would be a great combination.
    There is no way Democrats and independents would vote for this combination.
    It is the only combination that would cause me to vote democratic if the Democratic Machine screws Obama out of the nomination.

May 18, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  7. ExDem

Sad that American kids feel the need to pop age jokes McCain's way. Shows the sorry state of this country when children don't respect their elders.

I hope McCain picks Huck. What a great ticket.

May 18, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  8. Sam from Pennnsylvania (republican)

I was a Huckabee supporter while he was running his campaign, and there is nothing i would rather see, than a McCain Huckabee ticket.

May 18, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  9. Independent

After his "joke" the other day, there is no way that McBush would give him a nod. Not from a minister who is so blatantly predjuiced.

May 18, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  10. B

This is great news! This will unify the Dems. Until, Hucks recent comments about shooting Obama, I was a die hard Obama or nothing voter. I was relentless in arguing why Blacks should vote for McCain if Hillary steals the nomination. When I heard Huck's comments I realized Hillary is a far better choice than McCain. And at the end of the day, Hillary supporters are goinging to realize the same about Obama.

May 18, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  11. 58 white old ladies for OBAMA

THAT MIGHT BE THE PAIR MADE IN HELL.

WARBUCKS VOTE DOWN THE MLK HOLIDAY.

AND MORON MADE VILE COMMENT ABOUT THE SAFETY

OF OUR NEXT PRESIDENT.

THE TWO AT LEAST SHARE SAME HATE PHILOSOPHY,

IF YOU CAN CALL IT THAT.

May 18, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  12. smegma cheesecake

On Friday May 16, 2008, while addressing The NRA, Mike Huckabee made a tasteless joke about a gun being pointed at Barack Obama. In light of what happened to Robert Kennedy 40 years ago, This is not something you joke about. For this reason, he should not be considered for Vice President

May 18, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  13. Bitter Tommy in St. Louis

I hope it happens. I'll bet Obama would pick a running mate who would spank him in a debate.

May 18, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  14. Mish

What a gift to the Dems after that tasteless so called joke about a presidential candiate ducking a gun shot
    Especially the likely democratic black candidate , who security may have to worry about more so than any other candidate
    If Obama had come out with a remark like that his campaign would be over!!!

May 18, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  15. B

This is great news! This will unify the Dems. Until, Hucks recent comments about shooting Obama, I was a die hard Obama or nothing voter. I was relentless in arguing why Blacks should vote for McCain if Hillary steals the nomination. When I heard Huck's comments I realized Hillary is a far better choice than McCain. And at the end of the day, Hillary supporters are going to realize the same about Obama.

May 18, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  16. kayinmaine

ExDem, if John McCrazy can joke about his age, then we can. He's old...there's no denying that fact. Even he said he was REALLY OLD. To me, McCrazy in the White House will be starting where Ronnie Reagan left off. Scary.

May 18, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  17. Crush Rush

Gomer Pyle?They really do expect to lose.

May 18, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  18. David Goldman for OBAMA

THE FACT THAT NOT A SINGLE LEADING REPUBLICAN

CAME OUT & TRASHED THIS SCUM BAG INDICATES

THEIR COMFORT WITH HIS PHILOSOPHY.

May 18, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  19. Leroy Jenkins/ W.Va

Ha....Who was it that said if you cant stand the heat get out of the kitchen? It was the woman who should of stayed home and baked cookies. I used to hate the clintons, but now I love them. Obama used to scare me, but no more. My man McCain is on the train to the white house and we can finally get some conservative values back. The clintons have divided the party and shown BO is a very flawed candidate. All these women are staying home because the ol boys wouldn't let them in the clubhouse. I'm glad they're staying home. Please do. McCain will get 2 supreme court nominees and we can finally overturn letting women murder innocent children (roe v wade). Plus I dont have to worry about my taxes going up to pay for healthcare. You want healthcare?...get a job and pay for it. I see more woman and Hillary supporters saying they wont back Obama. Good, John McCain needs your vote. I just watched 2 woman on the O'Reily show last night say because of the dnc's sexist approach to this election, they are organizing thousands of women in FL, OH, MI, and PA to actively campaign against Obama. Talk about idiots cutting off their nose dispite their face. However, I welcome it. A party divided stands no chance in November. All the congressional gains the dnc is making wont matter because a republican will still be in the white house. God Bless America.

May 18, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  20. Proud American

Let old Huck run with McCain America can TWO idiots for the price of one. What a great deal!

May 18, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  21. Jason

This is awesome! Sucking up to John McCain?
    This will ensure the Republican's defeat in November. McCain will lose all his independents and they will flock to either Obama or Clinton if he selects Huckabee as VP.
    Btw, I'm a Hillary supporter but I would NEVER vote for McCain over Obama. Let's bring the Democrat party together – I'm hoping for an Obama/Clinton ticket but even if that doesn't happen, we canNOT afford four more years of GWB's policy people.
    Don't vote McCain over any Democrat! EVER!

May 18, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  22. Colin

Well, unlike some of you, I've looked into his comments and saw the context of what he meant (I'm sure some of you did, too, but the negative part just sounded too good for you) and he's a good man. Even if you don't care for Huckabee, please admit he would bring a lot to a McCain ticket. He's young (for politics) and charming, would bring conservatives to the moderate McCain, the evangelicals, the South, etc.

I will also say this. Huckabee really was respectful to McCain during the primary season. They got along on and offstage and there were a couple times where Huck would sing his praises onstage.

May 18, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  23. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

Hmmm – might be better than a Mormon with several wives being in the WH with McShame the womanizer. What a den that would be !!!!!!!

May 18, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  24. Desmond Sequeira

Huckabee on McCain:

“I think he's the right person for America. I think he has the kind of seasoning and maturity that this country needs.”

Cut the lousy jokes, Mr. Huckabee.

May 18, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  25. Amber

if McCain wants a crack at this Presidency...he better not put a Evangelical like Hucakabee on the ticket. That conservative of a ticket is a sure LOSS in America. There' s more left and middle folks than far rights.

May 18, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |