May 18th, 2008

Huckabee says he'd like to be McCain's running mate

Mike Huckabee says even when he was John McCain's rival, he was always complimentary of him.

(CNN) - Former presidential candidate Mike Huckabee said Sunday he’s interested in John McCain’s No. 2 spot.

“There's no one I would rather be on a ticket with than John McCain,” the former Arkansas governor said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

“Let me point out that all during the campaign, when I was his rival, not a running mate, there was no one who was more complimentary of him publicly and privately,” he said.

Huckabee abandoned his presidential bid after McCain clinched the Republican nomination in early March.

When Huckabee announced his candidacy in January 2007, the former Baptist pastor was best known for his dramatic weight loss. The 52-year-old governor dropped more than 100 pounds after being diagnosed with diabetes in 2003.

Huckabee went on to finish first in the Iowa caucuses January 3, placing him among the top tier of Republican hopefuls.

He lagged behind Mitt Romney and McCain in the next round of contests, in New Hampshire and Michigan, and trailed McCain in South Carolina. However, his victories in the Deep South states of Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee and his native Arkansas in the February 5 Super Tuesday contests helped force Romney out of the race.

“I want to make sure you know [McCain] was my number two choice. I still wanted to win, but if I couldn't, John McCain, from always, was the guy I would've supported and have now supported,” Huckabee said.

Asked if it would help McCain if he were to be the vice president, Huckabee said that’s something only McCain can decide.

“I'm going to support him because I think he's the right person for America. I think he has the kind of seasoning and maturity that this country needs.”

Filed under: John McCain • Mike Huckabee
  1. HAWK,TEXAS

Read up on mccain the crook theif and liar. find out about his ties to lobbist, his selling public land deals to his rich backers, not to mention keeting. and a lot of other stuff. google it.

May 18, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  2. curtis in WI

Does anyone else find it disturbing that NOT ONE SINGLE Republican has said Huckabee was wrong to make his sick joke about murdering Obama? Or even that it was a poor choice of words? Or even an unfortunate slip-up?

That is so very telling about the party – and not in a good way at all.

May 18, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  3. Emma

McCain/Huckabee? Why not? A religious bigot and a warmonger. Great for the Democrats!

May 18, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  4. An Embarresed Hillary Supporter

TO: CHRISTINE V. From Dallas,

You Christine are the main reason that Hillary turns off people everyday. You are a Karl Rove Republican, a party traitor, and the difference between your IQ and an ice-cube is ZIP.

Thanks for your helpful comment

May 18, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  5. GnosticMan

Awww isn't Huckabee so cute! He's like one big teddy bear! Too bad he is on a sinking ship.....hahahahaha

May 18, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  6. bill pike

spent large part of my life in churches. if he would be with mcbush they would find sermons to use against him. in dallas the prestonwood baptist church just had one of their ministers try to molest a 13 year old. THE CHURCH IS US–ALL OUR FAULTS AND GOOD THINGS. he would not last a minute now after the church was brought into this race.

May 18, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  7. Eric

Maybe this will convince the Hillary supporters who are so moronic that they'd be willing to back McCain in Nov to support Obama. Huckabee is a religious freak who will make this country uninhabitable to Atheists like myself. Sorry, GOP, but you've blown it for the past 8 years. Time to give up the throne.

Obama '08

May 18, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  8. Zoey

Oh yeah, put him on the ticket, that would be an easy win !

May 18, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  9. Charlotte

I did think Huckabee would have been a good running mate, however after his unfunny joke, I don't think so. I do however, believe a good running mate will make McCain a more formidable candidate. I will still write in Hillary Clinton on my ballot in November.

May 18, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  10. April

Well, I think Mitt Romney will make a better side kick than Huckabee. But in any case, if Romney is not interested then Huckabee will do. However, I will only vote for Republicans if Hillary Clinton do not get the nomination in the Democratic side because I belief she will be the best President at this time. We need a well balanced experienced, tough democrat in the White House. I do not know what the Superdelegates are doing in the democratic side. If they want to even smell the White House in November, they better leave their bias, hatred and division aside and vote for Hillary. If they think we will go with Obama who does not have any track record and who is unpatriotic to say the least and who does not even respect this country nor the people in it, they will have a rude awakening in November. As everyone n have been reitterating to the superdelegates, this is not American Idol, this is not Affirmative Action, this is a job that require knowledge, seasoning, ability to lead not to follow, and awell trained politician who does not beleif in hatred nor arrogance to get into the White House. If they negate all the attributes that we know Hillary posseses and chose Obama as a nominee, the superdelegates will only have themselves to blame and not us come November.
    So if you are one of the superdelegates, better listen now or regret later.
    Hillary for President 2008!!!

May 18, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  11. Peter Damoah-Afari

Oh.........That was why he wanted Obama to be killed. ..Shame on him.

May 18, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  12. Appalled

After the appalling joke about Senator Obama being shot, Huckabee's integrity has been seriously damaged. Who in the WORLD would think that was funny?

May 18, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  13. John Carlson

McCAin/Huckabee would be about the best the GOP could do.
    Obama should back off and take the VP as well, as there are three groups of people who won't vote for him in Nov....mark my words. The only black person that had a chance to be Pres was Colin Powell (and he was a good one for the job as a mature seasoned man).
    John C
    Portland Oregon

May 18, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  14. Lana, California

Hey...if the Huckster wants to be McBush's Veep, then as their hero would say "Bring It On"! Especially if he keeps making those inane and dangerous comments about guns and the like.

Obama!

May 18, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  15. yen

Why not he is a good man.As long as he doesn't support McCains war policy, he will be a great v.p.

May 18, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  16. independant in ohio

huckabee is what john mccain needs. he could help balance out the republican party. so what that huckabee made a comment about obama. it was funny. im sure obama has made comments about others that were taken out of proportion.... i dont know maybe something about being bitter? if huckabee is the VP it will help mccains chances even more of being the president.

May 18, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  17. Carolyn C

Huckabee made such a shamefull comment the other day. He should be penetant, not seeking the vice presidency. That would be a real joke – Confused McCain with bizzare "fair" tax Huckabee!

May 18, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  18. Franky

Do you know what I think is gonna happpen to the Dems??? I don't know but I think "talks" are in the way........remember when I said that the Dems remind me of the "Barbarians" WAY, WAY, WAY back in the day???? Well, don't be surprise that we might see something that we probably never thought before.......

To be honest, I couldn't believe it, but if played right........don't be surprise....

May 18, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  19. gobama

These two old McBush are trying to take the whole nation straight down with them. No country for old men!!!! How can such an old grumpy granpa Mccain lead this complicated 21st centry world, when he spent his youth in a different era?? It's a simply different world to him. He can't do the job as a president. He's too too ancient! Do you really want your old granpa run the contry? Can you communicate intellectually with your granpa without explaining each word to make him understand what you're saying??? Huckabee is religion freak who doesn't acknowlege evolution and science. without evolution, we would be just like animals. he believes in creationism which is insane. why are there so many crazy religion freaks in America. It's shameful!

May 18, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  20. Louise Vos

Having Huckabee on the ticket with John Mc Cain would be like the
    blind leading the blind. Mc Cain love war and Mike loves himself. They'
    deserve each other either way I would not vote for the team. With both
    of them it would be 4 more years of Bush tactics.

May 18, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  21. Hilda

R.I.F- I agree with you. Can you blame them they are ashamed to be Republicans so they come on here and try to cause a stir. I am with you they need to be ignored. LOSERS!!!!!!!!!!!

May 18, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  22. Rose

All we need in this country is a president without any knowledge of economy and needs of citizen and a hypocrat VP

May 18, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  23. gary

BIAS -HOLES CNN. DONT LIKE THE TRUTH THAT OBAMA IS GOING TO LOOSE IN NOV. THATS GOOD HUCKLEBEE.
    DEMS ARE LOOSING IF HRC IS NOT THE NOMINEE. US UNEDUCATED CLINTON SUPPORTERS ARE SENDING SCHOOL BOY OBAMA BACK TO SCHOOL WHERE HE BELONGS. WE TOOK ENOUGH HATE FROM HIS FOLLOWERS ,COME NOV. MC CAIN IS LOOKING REAL GOOD T US. BEING BIAS AND CRUEL AGAINST OUR ONLY PRAYER (HRC) WILL SHOW YOU ALL THAT WE WILL HAVE THE LAST LAUGH. AMERICA DESERVES EVERYTHING THEY G OBAMA. WE NEED A REAL LEADER NOT A GREENHORN DICTATOR. PEOPLE.OBAMA HAS SHOWN HIS CHANGE. HATE,RACIST AND DIVISION. AMERICA CAN NOT TAKE SO MUCH CHANGE ALL AT ONCE. HE TALKS FUTURE ,BUT HE PUTS US BACK 100 YRS. OBAMA IS ONE BIG JOKE, AND SO IS THIS RACE

May 18, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  24. old time democrat

Look what happened to Ted Kennedy over the weekend, he was fine, busy on Friday, but, today in hospital. ask your self, does this fellow deserve to be a heartbeat away from the presedency? ohmy god.

May 18, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  25. Gerry

I'm an Obama supporter. Please, please, please pick Huckabee as the vp McCain.

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.