May 18th, 2008

Huckabee says he'd like to be McCain's running mate

Mike Huckabee says even when he was John McCain's rival, he was always complimentary of him.

(CNN) - Former presidential candidate Mike Huckabee said Sunday he’s interested in John McCain’s No. 2 spot.

“There's no one I would rather be on a ticket with than John McCain,” the former Arkansas governor said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

“Let me point out that all during the campaign, when I was his rival, not a running mate, there was no one who was more complimentary of him publicly and privately,” he said.

Huckabee abandoned his presidential bid after McCain clinched the Republican nomination in early March.

When Huckabee announced his candidacy in January 2007, the former Baptist pastor was best known for his dramatic weight loss. The 52-year-old governor dropped more than 100 pounds after being diagnosed with diabetes in 2003.

Huckabee went on to finish first in the Iowa caucuses January 3, placing him among the top tier of Republican hopefuls.

He lagged behind Mitt Romney and McCain in the next round of contests, in New Hampshire and Michigan, and trailed McCain in South Carolina. However, his victories in the Deep South states of Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee and his native Arkansas in the February 5 Super Tuesday contests helped force Romney out of the race.

“I want to make sure you know [McCain] was my number two choice. I still wanted to win, but if I couldn't, John McCain, from always, was the guy I would've supported and have now supported,” Huckabee said.

Asked if it would help McCain if he were to be the vice president, Huckabee said that’s something only McCain can decide.

“I'm going to support him because I think he's the right person for America. I think he has the kind of seasoning and maturity that this country needs.”

Filed under: John McCain • Mike Huckabee
  1. TALLULAH , LOUISIANA

Sit down Mike Huckabee, or is it Rev Huckabee. I see no difference in you and Rev Jeramiah Wright Your remarks were tasteless, and hurtful towards our next PRESIDENT. Maybe Rev Wright can give you a postion in his church family.

OBAMA OBAMA 2008

May 18, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  2. Hillary or Macain

I hope they beat the crap out obamidiot...how is that for hope?

May 18, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  3. Hucka-Doof

I am a Republican and there is no way in hell I will ever vote for a McCain/Huckabee ticket.

May 18, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  4. Karen in San Antonio

I hereby request that you, CNN, do not ever again provide Mr. Huckabee center stage for his dangerous and utterly stupid so-called jokes or any other comments he may wish to make. His most recent horrific remarks should signify that he does not deserve attention or space on any of your shows, or for that matter, any media source from now on.

May 18, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  5. Rob

Who cares who John Mccain chooses. Obama is going to cream him. It's going to be a landslide election. Anyone voting or Mccain clearly has a biased agenda. Just ask your self this question; " Is America in a better state now than 8 years ago?"

May 18, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  6. Really? Still?

Christine V from Dallas, TX-

Obama supporters are anything but hateful, racist brats; rather, it would be correct to say we are angry, diverse, and youthful. Angry...at the establishment created by the Bush and Clinton dynasties. Multi-colored and diverse...because Mr Obama is creating a broad coalition of human beings (which, of course, sometimes breeds hostility when something new is sought after). Youthful...because he energizes us (and, rather telling, is the one candidate who has finally been able to breed excitement in the coveted 18-24 year old vote).

If you'd rather be "bitter" about Mrs Clinton's apparent loss, and stay at home with your ball because you can't be the quarterback, well...sorry for you. But this white, youthful, political science-educated, born-and-bred in the Conservative heartland independent would really like you to re-think your stance, and evaluate your maturity level.

Obama and Clinton are opening doors for future candidates of all types, and your attitude (and those like you) only stand in the way.

May 18, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  7. Susan S., Wyoming

Excellent! I hope the GOPs do pick Huckabee - that will make McCain even easier for Obama to beat.

Go Dems 08!

May 18, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  8. Linda

Who would want Huckabee? I saw him on Meet the Press and he is more of a comedian than he would be as a serious candidate. Everything is funny to him. We won't forget the joke he made about the gunman and Obama.

May 18, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  9. another thinking voter

If ANYONE ELSE had made that revolting joke about Obama – for whom I am not a supporter – their political career would be ruined!! This guy is an extreme nutter ... McCain PLEASE pick somebody else. Do you need the conservatives that badly? You'll lose all the middle ground and independents who like you for being a bit more central.

May 18, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  10. Jim

Puleeez. I'm already going to have to vote for McCain if Hillary gets stripped of the nomination she so rightfully deserves. I will have to hold my breath even longer before I hit that button if this cat is on the ticket.

May 18, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  11. Susan S., Wyoming

Hey, can I join white old ladies for Obama?

Sounds like a cool group!

May 18, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  12. nate

He shoulda thought about that before he tried stand up comedy.

May 18, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  13. Chipster

R.I.F. is correct. Those who say they will vote for McCain if Clinton is not the Democratic candidate are NOT Democrats. They are NOT Clinton supporters. They're GOP bloggers trying to create an impression of division.

Think about the issues. No one who truly supports Hillary Clinton would EVER consider voting for McCain. These are either Republicans who don't like McCain and would perhaps vote for Clinton because she is more conservative than Obama or they are simply trying to discredit Obama as a viable candidate.

McCain voted to support torture and illegal surveillance. He's an economic moron and has done nothing but support this incompetent Bush Administration. Democrats should debate openly, consider all of the options, and choose the best candidate to defeat McCain. When that has been done, we must unite for the good our country and defense of our Constitutional liberties.

May 18, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  14. Swiss in Canada

RIF: You got that right! But you forgot Fred!!!!

May 18, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  15. Marcia, Marcia, Marcia in CA

Democrats are smiling at this one!

May 18, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  16. Ohio Support

See how Republicans support each other and the Democrats have to battle it out . They unite with one another. Maybe the Democrats need look at what the Republicans are doing. Oh, that's right I forgot the Democrats think they always know what to do. McCain fought for this country and deserves respect. Now, here he is again fighting for his country and what a better man to help guide him a man of God. Huckabee will put light on this country about putting God back into America. For isn't that what our counrty is based on. We as a nation need not forget it. If you look at history Repbulicans have ran this country alot longer than the Democrats. GO MCCAIN AND HUCKABEE

May 18, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  17. jeremy

I thought Mitt Romney has been lobbying hard to become McCain's VP as well. May be McCain can have two Running mates. One to Strengthen his appeal from evangelical Christians and the complement his lacking know how about economics!!

Go McBush!!

May 18, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  18. randy,new york

That will never happen cause john macbush already have a lot of gabage he will not wanna add one on him salf.I think john macbush should just drop out and obama will be the next president.wow who even think this gonna work it is like oil and milk.

May 18, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  19. Andreas

Just imagine Mc cain elected president 6 month later gets sick ( because of age related symptoms) has to step down and huckabee President

Good night America!!!!!!

May 18, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  20. mel

He needs to stop joking with someone he know nothing and
    also for the reason that he suppose to be a man of God.Don't
    let politics cloud his judgement just to position himself as a
    VP candidate.

May 18, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  21. KE

I thought the best way to find out a clear winner is to have both Hillary and Obama run in a general election against other candidates.

The Obama campaign repeatedly said they had enough debates in this primary. But many of us weren't happy with the quality of debate conducted by the news media and the Obama campaign's refusal to debate with a woman candidate.

I think the voters deserve to hear serious debate by the serious candidates before electing America's next president. Next debate should be conducted by republicans and democrats and independents.

The essentials of Democracy... the voting rights (count every vote), the individual initiatives of the people (are encouraged), education (right kind of), the integrity of human (respect), the check and valance system and the free press and.....

May 18, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  22. JohnLee

Huckabee – don't you know pride cometh before a fall? That's in the Bible – you might want to read it.

May 18, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  23. Brian, Allentown

Christine V from Dallas TX May 18th, 2008 2:18 pm ET

"WELL OBAMA SUPPORTERS THANKS A MILLION!!!! YOU BROUGHT THIS TO YOURSELF….YOU ARE HATEFUL, RACISTS BRATS….."

I'm a white male that voted for Obama. Exactly how does that make me hateful and racist? Because I wouldn't vote for a woman who looks like she'd be more comfortable in an SS uniform? Actually, it looks as if you're the racist, spewing your hate towards people that voted for a black man.

May 18, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  24. Eric Ames, IA

Go Huck....GO McCain. I love you both. It is going to be a great year for the Republicans. We are going to win the White House once again after the racist, American hating, lying Obama is nomitated! It will be great. The Dems are going to go down in flames again with another 'fine' choice!

God Bless Huckabee and McCain

May 18, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  25. taylor richmond virginia

cooooooool.......McCain can have a crazy reverand as an actual running mate!

May 18, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |