May 18th, 2008

Huckabee says he'd like to be McCain's running mate

Mike Huckabee says even when he was John McCain's rival, he was always complimentary of him.

(CNN) - Former presidential candidate Mike Huckabee said Sunday he’s interested in John McCain’s No. 2 spot.

“There's no one I would rather be on a ticket with than John McCain,” the former Arkansas governor said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

“Let me point out that all during the campaign, when I was his rival, not a running mate, there was no one who was more complimentary of him publicly and privately,” he said.

Huckabee abandoned his presidential bid after McCain clinched the Republican nomination in early March.

When Huckabee announced his candidacy in January 2007, the former Baptist pastor was best known for his dramatic weight loss. The 52-year-old governor dropped more than 100 pounds after being diagnosed with diabetes in 2003.

Huckabee went on to finish first in the Iowa caucuses January 3, placing him among the top tier of Republican hopefuls.

He lagged behind Mitt Romney and McCain in the next round of contests, in New Hampshire and Michigan, and trailed McCain in South Carolina. However, his victories in the Deep South states of Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee and his native Arkansas in the February 5 Super Tuesday contests helped force Romney out of the race.

“I want to make sure you know [McCain] was my number two choice. I still wanted to win, but if I couldn't, John McCain, from always, was the guy I would've supported and have now supported,” Huckabee said.

Asked if it would help McCain if he were to be the vice president, Huckabee said that’s something only McCain can decide.

“I'm going to support him because I think he's the right person for America. I think he has the kind of seasoning and maturity that this country needs.”

Filed under: John McCain • Mike Huckabee
  1. Neil

Awesome, Huckabee PLEASE run for John McCain. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. The Democrats will definitely win in November!!!!!

May 18, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  2. Michael

Yeah, Sharon Minnesota really is annoying, and obviously not a democrat.

Also obviously not intelligent.

May 18, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  3. David Gridley

I don't think he's so much interested in McCain as in positioning himself for another run down the line. If McCain dies in office, Huckabee is next in line by default.

That said, I wanted Ron Paul. I think Mike Huckabee is an excellent speaker and an intelligent man and would compliment the ticket but I don't support either McCain or Huckabee on the issues.

I think the winning ticket will be Obama/Edwards.

May 18, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  4. James Wilson

Separation of Church and State??? Sorry can't have a baptist minister holding political office such as vice president. Just wrong.

May 18, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  5. barry

Dear Christine V...how in the world did you get so delusional? You are completely out of touch with reality..this campaign and election will probably leave you in a state of combined apoplexy and catatonia...not only will the Dems unite, but the country will unite to remove the Repubs. from office in catastrophic numbers...go Obama!!!

May 18, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  6. Joe, Northern Virginia

Who cares about the current electoral map? It is going to be rearranged this fall. More of the "RED" states are going to turn to "BLUE" to the shock and horror of the republicans. They don’t seem to have a clue of what is about to happen this fall. I know VIRGINIA is a blue state now... We (the DEMS) are going to win the senate seat and Obama will win big in VA. CO, KS, NM and a lot more of the red states.

May 18, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  7. 1n354a

Yeah – that would be scary. I think that after having Bush in office for eight years, we have had enough "GOD" in government. Let's get somebody who understands the idea behind separating church and state and not somebody attempting to revive the Crusades of yester-year.

May 18, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  8. josh good NYC

McCain isn't that stupid to pick this bozo as his runningmate.

May 18, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  9. Kirk in New York

He would get the social conservatives and he's a good humor man to McCain's scary, skeletor attitude...but neither of them are strong on economy.

May 18, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  10. anonymous white guy from arkansaw

after what he said the other day,you'd think he'd be heading for a cave.your apology is fine,but, it makes one wonder about the private conversations ,that go on between republicans and racists.Here in arkansas,there are a lot of racists and kkk.i'm white and i hear them comment all the time,"don't vote for that black feller,he'll never make it to the white house."i ask them ,"what do you mean?"with a clever wink they say,"you know,there's too many white boys out there ,ain't gonna let a black man be president."i usually retort,"what are they gonna do about it?"i'm just saying ,that huckabee's off the cuff remark,makes one wonder why that thought would be on the tip of his brain.i have a feeling the good ole boys of the nra,were having distasteful conversations just prior to huckabees comment.i live in the same state as huck,and he's my former governor,and he knows as well as i do how these racist white folk around here talk,and its revolting.He, as a babtist minister,here in ark.,is well aware of what he's saying,and its impact on racial nutcases.GOD is very ashamed of you ,right now,mike.And he knows your deepest thoughts.Think about that ,the next time you spout off your vile mouth!you will only substantiate the arguments that republicans have become racist.

May 18, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  11. Anne

I suspect the Rev. Huckabee has another agenda. He knows about the age and health issues of Senator McCain and getting to the Presidency through whatever door might open is Huckabee's primary goal.

I would hate to see a man whose only real claim to fame is a successful diet rise to the Presidency of the United States.

May 18, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  12. Kim, Dallas, TX

makes one wonder how low the great old party can go.... One laughs and sings about bombing iran, the other laughs about pointing a gun at obama. Where are these less than professional candidates coming from? Or is this just typical for the GOP?

May 18, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  13. chisom

This is messed up. I had great respect for Huckabee, but He is beginning to lose it. First be making an expensive joke about someone shooting Obama, and Obama falling off the seat, and now declaring interest in the Vice Presidency, With this two issues coming sequencially, I smell a rat. Why doesn't Huckabee play it low, and pretend that he is not interested in VeePee, just as all the others have been doing.
    I hope this doesn't bring Huckabee down, because I was planning to vote for him in 2012, After Obama's regime.

Obama 08 anywayz'

May 18, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  14. Kayce

Huckster could not solidify his "base" for the republicans...that's because he doesn't have a base. If he did, he would have been more prominent during his recent attempt for the republican nomination. He is weak in many areas and his "humor" is outrageously sick. McCain is the best the republicans can do this year and they are trying to put up a valiant front. Unfortunately, it is not going to work...Democrats are infighting now due to emotion and even race...but I predict that they will unify themselves behind their nominee. Believe it or not, McCain does not hold up well against Obama or Clinton. It's a fact....

May 18, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  15. david

I trust CNN will give as much air time to Rev. Huckabee as they gave to Rev. Wright.

May 18, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  16. anonymous white guy from arkansaw

rif-we are well aware of that list you gave,above.i see them here every day claiming to be hillary supporters,while bashing obama,and vice versa.they are a bunch of limbaughnites,still out in full force ,with their operation chaos bs.what a joke.

May 18, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  17. James in Ocala

Forget Huckabee! Liberman is begging on bended knee for the job of V.P. That would make a ticket of two nutbags. Hoo,Boy!!!

May 18, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  18. Matt W.

If Mike Huckabee were a racist, then why would he have come to the DEFENSE of Jeremiah Wright?

May 18, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  19. NEVER obama

Ok obama kool-aid drinkers.....listen up. I, like most of Hillary's supporters, will NOT vote for obama. He is a liar and the greatest danger to this country. Now he's trying to run around and kiss up to the very folks he put down just to get their votes. Middle America, please don't vote for this trash. Please don't follow this liar. He'll say anything it takes to get your vote. I believe John McCain will make a great president for this country because he's right down the middle of the road.obama is as far left as a person can get.

May 18, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  20. wyoming dem

To Christine V from Dallas Texas (2:18pm post)

And you call Obama supporters "Hateful, Rasist and Brats???"
    You must not have looked in the mirror lately, madame.

This story was not about HILLARY!
    Rant on, Christine....and keep using all capital letters so we can pick you out quicker.

May 18, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  21. Terry

Dems '08!

May 18, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  22. Jerry Turecky

I have figured out why I cannot and will not vote for Obama. These are his words taken from an interview : "As I've said about the flag pin, I don't want to be perceived as taking sides,' Obama said. 'There are a lot of people in the world to whom the American flag is a symbol of oppression. And the anthem itself conveys a war-like message. You know, the bombs bursting in air and all. It should be swapped for something less parochial and less bellicose. I like the song 'I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing.' If that were our anthem, then I might salute it.' (Can you believe this. And this man wants to be the president of the United States of America.)

When you are a 72 year old ,white, middle income woman, you know there can be no "change" in Washington unless you change your senators and congressmen. I will WRITE Hillary Clinton's name in on my voting ballot before I will vote for Barak Obama. Something all of you could do if she is not the nominee.

May 18, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  23. KeeprevoutofVP

That's it.. Whitehouse will become fundamentalists den. Huck is a liar; he made threats against a Presidential candiate indirectly asking NRA to point gun. He wants to be VP now.. I always voted Republican; I am out of it now and Huck will drive me away for good.

May 18, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  24. Matt

That is funny lol

I hope McLame picks him...it will help the democrats win!

May 18, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  25. Doug in WV

McCain will not pick Huckabee. He's going to pick the Governor of Florida Charlie Crist. Come on Huckabee is wishing for the pick.

May 18, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |