May 19th, 2008

Clinton: 'This is nowhere near over'

Clinton said Monday the Democratic race is not over.
Clinton said Monday the Democratic race is not over.

MAYSVILLE, Kentucky (CNN) - Hillary Clinton took a hard line on the state of the Democratic race Monday morning, telling supporters that it is "nowhere near over."

“I’m going to make [my case] until we have a nominee," she told a crowd at a high school gym, "but we’re not going to have one today and we’re not going to have one tomorrow and we’re not going to have one the next day.

“This is nowhere near over, none of us is going to have the number of delegates we’re going to need to get to the nomination,” she argued.

A campaign spokesman clarified, explaining that short of a deluge of superdelegates, Clinton believes neither candidate will have the necessary 2,210 delegates by the last primary on June 3, the number she says is needed because she argues Michigan's and Florida's delegates must be counted.

The Democratic National Committee has set the number of delegates needed at 2,026 after stripping those states of their delegates for moving up their primaries.

The Obama campaign has said that after Oregon and Kentucky’s primaries on Tuesday, they will have the majority of the pledged delegates.

But Clinton told supporters that she has the lead in the popular vote.

"Right now, more people have voted for me than have voted for my opponent," she said. "More people have voted for me than for anybody ever running for president before," she added, referring to previous Democratic primaries.

Clinton also made the same argument to the crowd on Monday that she has been making to superdelegates and to supporters for the past few weeks – it’s about the map.

“The states I’ve won total 300 electoral votes,” she said, explaining that 270 electoral votes are needed to win in November and that many of the states Obama has won will go for John McCain then .

“I still have a cushion if you look at all the states that I have won and take out those that may not be in our column come the fall. My opponent has 217 electoral votes from places like Alaska and Idaho and Utah and Kansas and Nebraska and many of his votes and his delegates come from caucus states, which have a relatively low turnout,” Clinton said.

Angling for a big win in Kentucky similar to West Virginia’s, Clinton tried out a line that she used there last week.

“You know, Kentucky has a history of picking presidents," she said. "People don’t get elected president without winning Kentucky.”

1. mike

That's true, it is well beyond over!

May 19, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  2. Jeff

I have a question to Obama nation, super deligates, and the demicratic party.
    What happens if Hillary wins out
    Wins Kentucky, big, squeeks out Oregon, and then wins PR, Montana, and South Dakota.
    What does it say about Obama.
    Does it say he is the best chance for the dems to win or does it point out his weekness amongst whites or does it point out an even more telling graphic. That since Michelles Obama 's comments, Mr Obama's bitter comments, his relationship with Wright.
    His double talk on Nafta and Iraq he has steadly lost voters and major states that are must wins for the dems.
    He still gets huge ralleys but he has lost consistantly over the last major contests.

If Hillary does win out there is still no way for her to catch him in the deligate math.

But this contest has been close and if she wins out and Michigan and Florida's votes are counted not the deligates she will be ahead in popular vote.

The supers are allowed to vote any way they want and there is no rule saying they must follow the will of the people.
    If they feel he is limping to the finish line they can all change their minds.

I am sure the supers after doing their best to stop Hillary and endorse Obama would not want to go into november with a nominee that won NC then lost 6 in a row to finish the primary season in Indiana, Kentucky, Oregon, PR, Montana, and South Dakota

May 19, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  3. Debbie,NJ

MJC have you checked the polls lately? I know how Hillary supporters like polls since the numbers don't agree with them. Obama holds a 16-point lead over Sen. Hillary Clinton in Gallup’s latest daily tracking poll released Monday. He has the support of 55 percent of Democratic and Democratic-leaning voters while Clinton’s support is at 39 percent.
    Previously, Obama’s largest lead over Clinton was 11 percentage points, in daily tracking polls conducted in mid-May and mid-April, according to Gallup. Prior to John Edwards’s exit from the Democratic nomination race, Clinton held a 20-point lead over Obama in mid-January. Clinton 46% McCain 44%
    Obama 47% McCain 43%

May 19, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  4. E. de Leon

Hubris for Obama, there is no Democratic nominee yet, political pundits in the media think they have the last words, not so in New Hampshire and lets include Florida. Go Hillary, you also have the Hispanic and Asian American votes.

May 19, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  5. JFK

Daniel from Kansas, its not over. The party is not unified and many do not want Obama. I am college educated and do not believe Obama is the answer. I like him but he is not ready.

May 19, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  6. kris

Obama's 2008 campaign against John McCain will follow John Kerry's footsteps against Bush...close but no cigar!

May 19, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  7. dz in Austin

Women in every remaining state want to be able to tell their daughters and granddaughters that they voted for the 1st woman who should have been elected President. Thankfully I've already had my opportunity. I would have been upset beyond belief if she had listened to you guys and dropped out before then.

Let everyone vote, treat us with some respect and we just might hold our noses and vote for your guy in November.

May 19, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  8. Rick

Hillary Clinton / Terry McAuliffe = Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf (M.S.S.), former Iraqi Information Minister

May 19, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  9. Norma Zuckerman

No, the race is far from over. Women and Men from all over the country are supporting Senator Clinton and want her to continue. Florida and Michigan votes MUST be counted....that is the DEMOCRATIC way. I take a quote from the movie Network..." I am mad as hell and not going to take it anymore " ! Just change the "I to We"....and that describes how millions of Hillary supporters feel !

May 19, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  10. Kent

A few years on..

Hillary – Bill, sweetie, do you remember when you were President of our land and and your great accomplishments?
    Bill – Yes, my dear Hilary, I recall. But I also recall that I never did have...you know.
    Hillary – You are so right sweetie. You never did.
    Bill – Dear, do you remember 2008?
    Hillary – I sure do. I remember how I won the most delegates (both super and pledged), the most states, and the popular vote, including the caucuses. Oh and who can forget that moment when we, I mean I, became the Democratic nominee and went on to lead our great country. Do you remember it as I do sweetie?
    Bill – I sure do Hil, dear. Exactly as we said.
    Bill and Hillary – Isn't is wonderful that we have each other to share our memories? It sure is sweetie/ dear.

A few years further on.....

May 19, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  11. Jack Walden

She has to make these outrageous and outlandish remarks to keep herself viable in prime-time. Lets face it, the media had practically given her for dead in last few days when she had toned downed her message.

May 19, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |