May 19th, 2008

Clinton: 'This is nowhere near over'

Clinton said Monday the Democratic race is not over.
Clinton said Monday the Democratic race is not over.

MAYSVILLE, Kentucky (CNN) - Hillary Clinton took a hard line on the state of the Democratic race Monday morning, telling supporters that it is "nowhere near over."

“I’m going to make [my case] until we have a nominee," she told a crowd at a high school gym, "but we’re not going to have one today and we’re not going to have one tomorrow and we’re not going to have one the next day.

“This is nowhere near over, none of us is going to have the number of delegates we’re going to need to get to the nomination,” she argued.

A campaign spokesman clarified, explaining that short of a deluge of superdelegates, Clinton believes neither candidate will have the necessary 2,210 delegates by the last primary on June 3, the number she says is needed because she argues Michigan's and Florida's delegates must be counted.

The Democratic National Committee has set the number of delegates needed at 2,026 after stripping those states of their delegates for moving up their primaries.

The Obama campaign has said that after Oregon and Kentucky’s primaries on Tuesday, they will have the majority of the pledged delegates.

But Clinton told supporters that she has the lead in the popular vote.

"Right now, more people have voted for me than have voted for my opponent," she said. "More people have voted for me than for anybody ever running for president before," she added, referring to previous Democratic primaries.

Clinton also made the same argument to the crowd on Monday that she has been making to superdelegates and to supporters for the past few weeks – it’s about the map.

“The states I’ve won total 300 electoral votes,” she said, explaining that 270 electoral votes are needed to win in November and that many of the states Obama has won will go for John McCain then .

“I still have a cushion if you look at all the states that I have won and take out those that may not be in our column come the fall. My opponent has 217 electoral votes from places like Alaska and Idaho and Utah and Kansas and Nebraska and many of his votes and his delegates come from caucus states, which have a relatively low turnout,” Clinton said.

Angling for a big win in Kentucky similar to West Virginia’s, Clinton tried out a line that she used there last week.

“You know, Kentucky has a history of picking presidents," she said. "People don’t get elected president without winning Kentucky.”

1. veronica

Thats right its not over and Obama is looking really week agianst McCain he looks like a little boy that doesnt know what to do I really hope the Super delegates are looking at this.

May 19, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  2. Anonymous

HILLARY WAKE UP AND STOP DREAMING . THE DELEGATES NEEDED TO WIN THIS IS 2026. WHERE IS YOUR NUMBER COMING FROM............

GO OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 19, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  3. Amazed

So much for bowing out gracefully.

May 19, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  4. johnq

Hillary,
    Thank you for your continued support of operation chaos. As planned, but you and Obama are being exposed for what you are. Do any of you faithful dems believe that either candidate can honestly take the oath of office?

“I do solemnly swear (or affi rm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my
    Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of
    the United States.”

I don't think either have ever read it... have you? Can any of you image what the founding fathers would have to say about these two clowns?

May 19, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  5. Exhausted

Oh, Hillary, we are so tired of you. Please go and take Geraldine with you.

May 19, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  6. Susan

Those Obama supporters who gloat better be really careful. Hillary is the superior candidate, not the the trend. Trends fade – sometimes quickly. Ignorance is bliss . . . to a point. So, enjoy your pep rallies and melodic speeches but remember that Hillary has faced the enemy before, and Obama has not.

May 19, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  7. greenfun

Is anybody else disgusted that Obama has 400 paid bloggers? He has been giving huge amounts of money to superdelegates since 2005. I guess this is a buy your way election

May 19, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  8. Misty

Clinton: Its not over till you are the nominee?

But wait: Obama is ahead in every count-- Let it go Hilary,

Obama! Obama! and Obama

May 19, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  9. Val, Atlanta, Ga

MP-Pennsylvania, I totaly agree with you I admire his courage, I could never run for any office I don't have that in me to with stand all the negative and not fight back because as you know Hillary has so much negative baggage he could have worn her out and me I would have Knocked her out.

May 19, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  10. Lin Lo

mjc, "hillary – the only one who can beat john mccain." Right.....how can she beat John McCain when she can't even beat Obama?

May 19, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  11. Tjaye

Why is it ONLY the states she wins are the states that "pick the Presidents", but we need to keep the race going because ALL the states should count? Which one is it?

This chick is making women look bad! And the silly broads who follow her are just making it worse.

Obama can NOT pick this broad for VP. She is ridiculous now.

Obama O-8!

May 19, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  12. Paul 43

2210? Oh no, not another attempt to change the rules! Moving the target number further from Obama moves it further from Clinton too.

May 19, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  13. girl texas

Hehehe, you sorry obots. We will NEVER vote for your golden boy and Hillary will take this TO THE WALL, as she should.

May 19, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  14. justin in IN

It's not over. Well, unless you support Obama, then it's over.

It will be over when Obama snakes his way to the nomination, and then loses to McCain. Hillary should take it any way she can get it, because that's the ONLY chance there is to get a Democrat back in the white house.

And sorry Hillary, I support you, but I will not vote for your opponent should you lose this nomination.

May 19, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  15. Ratgurl

She truly is a legend... in her own mind.

May 19, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  16. Georgia Girl

Hillary needs to give it up for the Party's sake.

May 19, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  17. melisa

what i doing for obama toolate she will sterong her will fright!!!!

May 19, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  18. justin in IN

It's not over. Well, unless you support Obama, then it's over.

May 19, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  19. Obama Next POTUS

I can't stand this lady. This is all about her and nothing else. Why people like the Clintons is mind boggling to me. This lady is not helping her party by staying in, she really needs to step aside. Not another Clinton Presidency. For the love of God people vote for BARACK OBAMA!!!!

May 19, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  20. PA for Obama

You know, if an applicant came to me for an interview and I thanked them for their time but hired someone else, I'd start to worry if that candidate kept hanging around to ask me when I was going to hire them. No wonder people compare her to Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction. Since when is stalking an election strategy?

May 19, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  21. Meg

She must be too busy to check the score...?

May 19, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  22. sherrie50

She has a right to continue her fight to the last primary. If I needed to fight my cause, it will be HC. True, she does have more popular votes as BO won more caucas states not primaries. Being a fighter is considered a negative now, but I have always been taught to never give up until you have you have given your all. She serves to be a good role model for our children who give up too easiness when times are tough, or when confronted with adversities. Even if she does not win, I will always respect her as a warrior. Good job HC

May 19, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  23. Amber

Uh, Hill, sweetie, IT'S OVER!

May 19, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  24. YouKnowWhat

She's using the same line she used in W.VA...Maybe she shoulda used it over and over from the beginning...

voter in AR: your argument does make sense. The fact that she does not attack Obama as much as she used to shows that she wants to preserve the Democratic integrity. I don't think she is delusional. She's just trying to hold on to her supporters as long as possible and make them understand that it is not about her but about a Democratic win in November.
    If Hillary's supporters cannot understand that and act as sore losers because their idol didnt get the nomication, then McCain wins...

May 19, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |