May 19th, 2008

Clinton: 'This is nowhere near over'

Clinton said Monday the Democratic race is not over.
Clinton said Monday the Democratic race is not over.

MAYSVILLE, Kentucky (CNN) - Hillary Clinton took a hard line on the state of the Democratic race Monday morning, telling supporters that it is "nowhere near over."

“I’m going to make [my case] until we have a nominee," she told a crowd at a high school gym, "but we’re not going to have one today and we’re not going to have one tomorrow and we’re not going to have one the next day.

“This is nowhere near over, none of us is going to have the number of delegates we’re going to need to get to the nomination,” she argued.

A campaign spokesman clarified, explaining that short of a deluge of superdelegates, Clinton believes neither candidate will have the necessary 2,210 delegates by the last primary on June 3, the number she says is needed because she argues Michigan's and Florida's delegates must be counted.

The Democratic National Committee has set the number of delegates needed at 2,026 after stripping those states of their delegates for moving up their primaries.

The Obama campaign has said that after Oregon and Kentucky’s primaries on Tuesday, they will have the majority of the pledged delegates.

But Clinton told supporters that she has the lead in the popular vote.

"Right now, more people have voted for me than have voted for my opponent," she said. "More people have voted for me than for anybody ever running for president before," she added, referring to previous Democratic primaries.

Clinton also made the same argument to the crowd on Monday that she has been making to superdelegates and to supporters for the past few weeks – it’s about the map.

“The states I’ve won total 300 electoral votes,” she said, explaining that 270 electoral votes are needed to win in November and that many of the states Obama has won will go for John McCain then .

“I still have a cushion if you look at all the states that I have won and take out those that may not be in our column come the fall. My opponent has 217 electoral votes from places like Alaska and Idaho and Utah and Kansas and Nebraska and many of his votes and his delegates come from caucus states, which have a relatively low turnout,” Clinton said.

Angling for a big win in Kentucky similar to West Virginia’s, Clinton tried out a line that she used there last week.

“You know, Kentucky has a history of picking presidents," she said. "People don’t get elected president without winning Kentucky.”

1. Bill

Wanna bet?

May 19, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  2. oliver

Hillary is a lunatic!

It's over!

May 19, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  3. Disappointed

Do what you need to do and get it out of your system......

May 19, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  4. Generation X

It is over for the Clintons. The Republicans have been aware of this fact for about two months. Democrats it is time to play operation chaos with the Republicans. Generation X is ready.

May 19, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  5. Amber

"...as goes Ohio, so goes the nation.... as goes Pennsylvania, so goes the nation.... as goes Kentucky, so goes the nation..." yeah, Hillary, whatever state you're in, so goes the nation.

You lost. Get over it & get on with it!

May 19, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  6. Roger

Maya – First, it wasn't Ted but rather John that you are talking about. Secondly and most importantly, he went to the convention without enough delegates to win but he was in the lead at the time, Hillary is not in the lead!!

Big difference between taking the lead to the convention versus being behind and going to the convention.

May 19, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  7. jim

sad. this chick is so delusional. she'll tell us all it's still early in the race. all she's doing is placing unneccessary hurdles in front of Obama in his race toward beating McCain (handily) in November. for ONCE IN YOUR LIFE hillary, would you please be a team player? just once. one time. we need you to drop out and support the presumptive nominee. get a grip and help the democrats defeat 100 years in Iraq McCain who is most certainly not my friend, "my friends."

May 19, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  8. LOL Clinton

Sounds like something Bush has said about the war in IRAQ.

Nowhere Near OVER!

May 19, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  9. Fitz

I understand Hillary doesn't want to quit but it's obvious she can't pull ahead unless she feels the super's will change their minds one of these days and come back to her.

Secondly, I don't know about you, but I think Geraldine Ferraro's comments are probably the worse I have heard from a national figure of late in the Dem Party. How could she make such a statement? Talk about mean spirited. I don't even recall Senator Obama saying anything sexist and I thought I had been following the primaries pretty closely.

She seems like she will say anything to try and damage this man all in favor of Hillary in the eyes of the american public.

May 19, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  10. David

Hillary you can stay as long as you want.
    Ron Paul versus Hillary Clinton!!

Who will win??

May 19, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  11. the cow and the moon

I suspect this will never be over for you dear.

You will campaign until your hot flashes turn cold.

May 19, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  12. Miguel

Ok Hillary .. repeat after me .... 2026, 2026 , 2026, 2026. This will be the number unless the DNC Rules and Bylaw Committee on May 30th decides otherwise.

PS: I respect the Clintons but they must play the rules that were agreed upon prior to the start of the race.

Latinos for Obama 08

May 19, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  13. Taylor

I'm going to nip this in the bud, just in case. All you Democrats Clinton Supporters who say they won't vote for Obama and will vote McCain out of SPITE are MORONS. You'd really sacrifice the country and your values by voting for someone who has the most dissimilar political views than Clinton, instead of the candidate who has the Democratic values? Our of SPITE? You're terrible Americans and unpatriotic. Just listen to yourselves and how stupid you are.

May 19, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  14. daniel

How could she claim the same BS again and again and again... She is more looking for POWER than anything else. She will broke the party.. How cold she do that , is anybody there to tell her to quit before it's too late..

May 19, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  15. Dal CA Republican

Last week it was West Virginia.
    When she started the campaign she just wanted big states, small states did not count, so what changed. She started to loose. This lose she could not bear hence the change

May 19, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  16. In love in TX

I don't know... but I'm really infatuated by Hillary. I think she's very pretty. That's just my opinion anyway.

May 19, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  17. Sam

I think everyone is trying to be nice and let Hillary step out of the race with respect...but it looks like someone is going to have to tell her it is over and get the hell out of the way!!!

May 19, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  18. Real Dem

Why is it that when 92% of black voters in NC vote for Obama it is not considered racist. But, when 62% of white voters in WV vote for Clinton white people are gun-toting-rednecks? This is one of the reasons why a significant percentage of Clinton supports will never support Obama. We're tired of being cast as something we're not. This is going to lead to giving the general election to the idiot Republicans YET AGAIN!

May 19, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  19. Joe

IT'S OVER HILLIARY!

JUST GO AWAY ALREADY AND TAKE YOUR STUPID
    SUPPORTERS WITH YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK GOD FOR CHANGE. YES WE CAN! OBAMA '08!

May 19, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  20. Jon V

Just accept the VP nomination and move on, for the sake of our country!

May 19, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  21. Keisha

Hillary has gone completely senile!!!!!!

May 19, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  22. Hilda

I want a Clinton supporter to answer this question: If Hillary was in the lead as Obama is how would you feel if he kept changing the rules and moving the goal post? Just tell me why is that ok with so many of you? There are no OVers in this nomination process, it can't go on forever. Honestly sometimes I don't care who wins even Hillary if she would just quit talking,changing the rules, and making a fool out of herself. You all say you won't vote for Obama ok, if we say we won't vote for Hillary, she won't be able to win either. So what do we have after that. Another Bush in the White House, now that is really smart!!

May 19, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  23. Terry in Fl

You tell'em Hillary! Because if they don't listen, there will be plenty of Democrats who will TELL them in November!

I want a democratic president but will NEVER vote Obama!
    Women UNITE AGAINST Obama!

May 19, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  24. Vivi Sanders

I read this article first on my comcast news page and further down in the article was this:

"Clinton also revived her pitch that many of the states where he (Obama) has beaten her, like Alaska, Idaho, and Utah, matter less because they would not be competitive for Democrats in November."

Now, I'm not from any of these states but I find it offensive and "elitist" that Clinton would say this. She's trying hard to make the popular votes from Michigan and Florida count, but if the votes from Alaska, Idaho, and Utah matter less is she planning on not counting those. I thought she was of a mind that every vote counts.

BTW, I'm a Republican but I'll be voting for Obama this fall!

May 19, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  25. alice2Fresno,CA

Hillary it is getting time for that Reality Check. You have run a Tough & Tireless campaign etc etc "you know the story" BUT now it is OVER. Sorry, NO Clinton Dynasty. You Lost. BARACK OBAMA WON.

May 19, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |