May 19th, 2008

Clinton: 'This is nowhere near over'

Clinton said Monday the Democratic race is not over.
Clinton said Monday the Democratic race is not over.

MAYSVILLE, Kentucky (CNN) - Hillary Clinton took a hard line on the state of the Democratic race Monday morning, telling supporters that it is "nowhere near over."

“I’m going to make [my case] until we have a nominee," she told a crowd at a high school gym, "but we’re not going to have one today and we’re not going to have one tomorrow and we’re not going to have one the next day.

“This is nowhere near over, none of us is going to have the number of delegates we’re going to need to get to the nomination,” she argued.

A campaign spokesman clarified, explaining that short of a deluge of superdelegates, Clinton believes neither candidate will have the necessary 2,210 delegates by the last primary on June 3, the number she says is needed because she argues Michigan's and Florida's delegates must be counted.

The Democratic National Committee has set the number of delegates needed at 2,026 after stripping those states of their delegates for moving up their primaries.

The Obama campaign has said that after Oregon and Kentucky’s primaries on Tuesday, they will have the majority of the pledged delegates.

But Clinton told supporters that she has the lead in the popular vote.

"Right now, more people have voted for me than have voted for my opponent," she said. "More people have voted for me than for anybody ever running for president before," she added, referring to previous Democratic primaries.

Clinton also made the same argument to the crowd on Monday that she has been making to superdelegates and to supporters for the past few weeks – it’s about the map.

“The states I’ve won total 300 electoral votes,” she said, explaining that 270 electoral votes are needed to win in November and that many of the states Obama has won will go for John McCain then .

“I still have a cushion if you look at all the states that I have won and take out those that may not be in our column come the fall. My opponent has 217 electoral votes from places like Alaska and Idaho and Utah and Kansas and Nebraska and many of his votes and his delegates come from caucus states, which have a relatively low turnout,” Clinton said.

Angling for a big win in Kentucky similar to West Virginia’s, Clinton tried out a line that she used there last week.

“You know, Kentucky has a history of picking presidents," she said. "People don’t get elected president without winning Kentucky.”

1. fred

voter in AR,

not going to matter we will vote for Hillary.(WRITE HER IN) OR we will VOTE FOR McCAIN!!

WRONG WAY OBAMA!!

2. Freida NYC

I admire you Hillary–you are really a true American, and a fighter! I will always support you, even if you are not our Dem nominee. This is why I will not vote for Obama in Nov, so that I can vote for you in 2012. I know all the Obama nuts are going to bash me for saying what i just said...but who cares!!!!! What else is expected of the bunch of mean-spirited, hate-filled Obama's supporters. They think they are entitled to the Dem nomination.

3. Matt

What is wrong with this lady!? Her bogus winning delegate number, which neither the DNC or the Obama campaign is buying, is just another example of her bending the rules for her campaign's benefit. I'm pretty sure that the "5 stages of loss" has never had a better poster child for it's well known "denial" phase than Senator Clinton.

4. mervelene@hotmail.com

Is she entitled to the White House? Too many ghost lingering around, I would be scared.

5. KMAN

She's delusional ... one could make the case that it's 'not' over, but you cannot make a sane case that is is not "nearly" over! It's another good example of how devisive she is and why so many of her old ranting followers keep acting like she still has a chance. Apparently, bitter old women and racists in general don't make the soundest judgements!

6. Matt Canoga Park

Yeah it is Hillary. Pack up your stuff, Shut up and go home. Enjoy the Jail sentence you get in a few months.

7. Robert Bauer, Sonoma County, CA

You've got to be kidding me. This is soooo over. Of course, that depends on what the meaning of "is" is.

8. Mark, Berwyn, PA

Go away.

9. JJ

I agree that the two States be counted and in addition, why isn't the Media giving any coverage about Hillary's lead in the popular vote? Why is the Media keeping this a hush hush? I still think that you guys should be fair and do your jobs. STOP BEING BIASED!!

I look forwards to seeing someone start a media that is truly fair and honest. The media is aware that the only true honest coverage is one where you are personally present and able to make your own judgements. This fact gives the media power over the people because they know that they have the advantage.

SPEAK ON HILLARY'S SUCCESS AS LEADING ON THE POPULAR VOTE!!

10. Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Oh...it's over!

11. Photon Torpedo Dallas, TX

Fast foward to the future...It is a week since the Democratic Convention where Obama has won the nomination:

"I'm not done campaigning! The Democratic party obviously made a mistake and I'm in this for the long haul. By the way did I cry last yesterday on Lou Dobbs? Hey America I bought a new rifle just last week!! I can say with a straight face that I was appalled when I saw Obama not help an pld lady across the street! Appalled!!!!

Senator Clinton..... please...... let us all move on.

Yes We Can & Yes We Should!
    Obama 08'

12. Independent

No offense Sen Clinton, but it is over! Support your party instead of yourself if you truly are the person you try to claim to be. It was a great race, but thier is always a winner and a loser. Please, leave with dignity.

13. YES WE CAN

The rest of the Super Delegates need to grow a back bone and finish this. Hillary is not going to stop. She must be working for the Republican's and McBush. She is horrible. Hillary doesn't own you Super Delegates. There is not a rope tied around you. You don't have to be scared to choose Barack Obama. Please put an end to this. She has one agenda and that is power and her EGO. You don't see anywhere on the Cliniton News Network that Byrd endorsed Obama. A 60 yr old Republican w/female voting for Barack Obama.

14. VF

Hillary Rodham Clinton is the scariest, most evil woman I have seen. I'm so glad the voters saw through her wicked ways.

OBAMA "08"

15. Conservative -CA

I love Clinton and we must unite against the real evil that is John McBush.

Clinton Democrats unite with Obama Democrats and put an end to McCain/Bush policies.

UNITE WE CAN! TOGETHER WITH OBAMA!
    2009-2017

16. John

I could have almost stomached her for vp but I just don't think so anymore. She just can't seem to play with the other kids well enough. Barack has this thing on lock down and its time to take on the GOP. Obama 08,12.

17. At last...

SIGH! Any day now... this will all come to an end. It was actually kinda nice not having to hear about her last week.

May 19, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  18. Lorna, NY

I think it time for Hillary to see a psychiatrist. She has lost touch with reality. Soon she will be counting dead people who would have voted for her if they were alive!

May 19, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  19. Tony - DC

IF the media had given unbiased, equal coverage to ALL candidates, rather than to the novelty acts (ex-POW, ex-CEO, a woman and a black man) Joe Biden would have been teh nominee months ago!

As in the lead up to the war, they only covered what they saw fit to cover.

May 19, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  20. Jane L.

We do not have a nominee yet, no matter how much Sen. Obama is already trying to act presidential or how often the news media refers to him as the "likely nominee!" The people decide this primary election, and so far more of them have voted for Sen. Clinton.
    If the rules and bylaws committe that meets in Washington this May 31 to resolve the Fla./Mich. debacle thinks they can railroad Sen. Clinton's supporters and then expect unity in November, I believe they're wrong.
    For that matter, unless the DNC changes its ridiculous rules and caucuses before the next time, they'll probably lose a lot of democrats to the independent party. Logically the primaries should be conducted the same way the general election is conducted. The more complicated methods the DNC uses leaves way too much room for subjective "appointments," as we have just seen.

May 19, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  21. Jimbo

No one can be nominee unless their name begins with "H" and ends with "Y" proclaims Queen Hillarious Delusion III.

May 19, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  22. Manuel

Clinton can't even add the number of delegates, then, how is she ever going to understand the budget and all other issues involving mathematics. Oh, sorry, i forgot miracles!!!

May 19, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  23. KMAN

May 19, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  24. Elaine OR

Go Hillary! Don't give up. . .you're our hope and the only one who can set our nation on the correct course. My friends, family, and I, here in Oregon are backing you 100%!!

May 19, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  25. Pamela

Talk about delusions and denial. Hilliary....get help.

May 19, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |