May 19th, 2008

Clinton: 'This is nowhere near over'

Clinton said Monday the Democratic race is not over.
Clinton said Monday the Democratic race is not over.

MAYSVILLE, Kentucky (CNN) - Hillary Clinton took a hard line on the state of the Democratic race Monday morning, telling supporters that it is "nowhere near over."

“I’m going to make [my case] until we have a nominee," she told a crowd at a high school gym, "but we’re not going to have one today and we’re not going to have one tomorrow and we’re not going to have one the next day.

“This is nowhere near over, none of us is going to have the number of delegates we’re going to need to get to the nomination,” she argued.

A campaign spokesman clarified, explaining that short of a deluge of superdelegates, Clinton believes neither candidate will have the necessary 2,210 delegates by the last primary on June 3, the number she says is needed because she argues Michigan's and Florida's delegates must be counted.

The Democratic National Committee has set the number of delegates needed at 2,026 after stripping those states of their delegates for moving up their primaries.

The Obama campaign has said that after Oregon and Kentucky’s primaries on Tuesday, they will have the majority of the pledged delegates.

But Clinton told supporters that she has the lead in the popular vote.

"Right now, more people have voted for me than have voted for my opponent," she said. "More people have voted for me than for anybody ever running for president before," she added, referring to previous Democratic primaries.

Clinton also made the same argument to the crowd on Monday that she has been making to superdelegates and to supporters for the past few weeks – it’s about the map.

“The states I’ve won total 300 electoral votes,” she said, explaining that 270 electoral votes are needed to win in November and that many of the states Obama has won will go for John McCain then .

“I still have a cushion if you look at all the states that I have won and take out those that may not be in our column come the fall. My opponent has 217 electoral votes from places like Alaska and Idaho and Utah and Kansas and Nebraska and many of his votes and his delegates come from caucus states, which have a relatively low turnout,” Clinton said.

Angling for a big win in Kentucky similar to West Virginia’s, Clinton tried out a line that she used there last week.

“You know, Kentucky has a history of picking presidents," she said. "People don’t get elected president without winning Kentucky.”

1. ANNIA

I will write in your name on the ballot comes November, Hillary. Be strong.

May 19, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  2. Independent in Florida

One of the CNN political analyst (supporting Clinton) said bluntly:

"Eggheads and blacks cannot win the Dem vote'!

I usually do not get upset but saying that we have to promote ‘stupidity’ for our political gains or as our hope for future were a little too much for me to handle.

May 19, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  3. Charlotte

If the superdelegates give this to Obama as expected, we will lose in November. If a far left liberal such as Obama is the nominee, and add the race card if you will, how can he win in November? Dukakis and Kerry were not black and they lost, what makes you think Obama can win? We will have 4 more yeas of republican rule, maybe the congress will be in more of a majority for democrats and that might curb any threat for confirming far right judges to the bench. I will write in Hillary Clinton and I hope everyone of her supporters will also.

May 19, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  4. David K

You young folks (under age 60) do not know what can happen at a true NOMINATING CONVENTION when no candidate has the delegates to win the nomination on the first ballot. All bets are off! We could end up with a nominee who was not even campaigning!

May 19, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  5. Michael, Oregon

Didn't Hillary say in the pennsylvania debate that Obama could beat McCain? I am sick of people letting Hillary get away with all these BS statements. 'Obama cant win', 'I have the popular vote', 'You need 2210 delegates'. I think Hillary has an advantage being a woman. If a man were to say these things he would be laughed of the stage.

May 19, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  6. Ricky Galileo

Say what??

Not over???

Count the posts to this story.

Last month her comments generated hundreds of posts...

No more...it's over.

Choose hope and dreams. Live Free!

May 19, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  7. Christoffel van Vuuren

I am no Hillary fan, even less of an Obama fan, but it is not over until the fat lady sings, and she will only sing at the Demcrat Convention. HRC has all the right in the world yo fight till the convention is over. Go girl, Go! It is your democratic right to do so.

Mcain is the only one who can keep Americs safe.

May 19, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  8. Jason

There's nothing wrong with her staying in the race. As long as she keeps the negative campaigning down. I respect Senator Clinton and would have been happy for either of them. In fact, I started out a Hillary supporter but after I looked over their stance on policies like healthcare, I went to Obama! I will be sad if the Hillary supporters don't help Obama in November. I think once Hillary is officially out and supports Obama, many will come around.
    I also don't think Hillary should be VP. She would be a much better and stronger senator to help getting change done in this country.

May 19, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  9. Sam Kansas City

you go, hillary.

keep going to the convention

May 19, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  10. Huntsville, AL Supports Obama!

She reminds me of the guy from "The Office" – she has been fired and continues to come to work because of a glitch in the system and a few people keep voting for her...

I honestly forgot about her...

Obama/Richardson '08

May 19, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  11. vdemocrat

Hillary is the truth can't you see obama has a bad speech writer? He steals his Ideas from hillary. MCain is laughing at the democratic party all the way. Its true Hillary is the only one who can beat Mcain because she is not a false person

May 19, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  12. AJ, IL

Don't fool yoursellves! It is over! Hillary is just in "public" denial mode to angler for something on June 1st. What Hillary wants is still unclear? Does she want to be Obama's VP? Does she want Obama to adopt her mandated Universal Healthcare? Does she want Obama to pay off her campaign debt?

Inquiring minds for Obama want to know! The way the next two primaries are expected to go (Kentucky to Hillary and Oregon to Obama) and the superdelegate tally that Obama is now enjoying (25 to 35 superdelegates per week) Obama will reach 2026 by May 30th!

May 19, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  13. lol

you hang in there hillary, it's not the math, its the map. the electoral map and popular vote are in your favor. you are the more electable candidate! you are going to win KY big, and your closing the gap in OR. keep going madame president, your loyalist are with you every step of the way!

May 19, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  14. Patrick

No where near over? really Hillary? I think we both know thats not true, but I guess telling lies is a clinton family thing

May 19, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  15. The Anti-Hillary

Oh yes, dear, it's over. There ain't a river of tears you can cry to get that nomination now. Do your legacy and the party a favor: go campaign for Obama while you still have a legacy left to salvage.

If you don't want to do that, then just go away. Your time is up; and all you Clintonistas who are drinking the cool aid, who say you'll vote for McCain or stay home instead of supporting Sen. Obama, you're not true Democrats and probably weren't gonna vote for him anyway, so take your marbles and follow Hillary out the door. And take that Hal Holbrook-looking, shriveled up, wrinkled hosebag bigot Geraldine Ferraro with you.

GO OBAMA '08!!

May 19, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  16. Jay

talk about a sore loser. shes too caught up with the idea of being the first female president that she just doesnt realize that shes already lost. All she has accomplished is in creating a rift in the democratic party. And lets face it the vast majority of her followers are simply voting for her because shes a female and they want a female president because they feel that its "their" time.

May 19, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  17. D in New Mexico

Bah. This long-time, dependable-voting Democrat is switching Independent, and voting McCain. The DNC is being ridiculous, and all the 'old-school' politicians are endorsing obama – for change? I think not. Wake up, people, geez. I'd love to see a little light come on in those dark heads of yours, obamabots.

May 19, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  18. Ron

How can this be over without Florida and Michigan? Enough of Sen Obama insecure dirty politics. Floridians for Sen Clinton.

May 19, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  19. prairieguy

Don't you just love her new math....no wonder she flunked her 1st bar exam!!!!!

The race was over months ago...she just fails to accept reality.

If Barack loses in Nov she will be the one to blame for all her divisiveness, race and gender card playing, her Rowe playbook playing.

As far as I am concerned she can join the Republican Party since she has camapigned as such.

You lost...get over it and either help untie the party or leave it!!!

May 19, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  20. Letha

Stupid, stupid Obamanation groupies! My state is one of the last to vote and you say my vote wont count which does not give you the right to say she should leave. YOU are what will split the nation come November when you have taken my right to case a vote. I'm independent but will support McCain just because of these kinds of comment which clearly tell me YOU have no clue and your candidate has no experience.

May 19, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  21. Rod

2,226 delegates are needed to win the nomination. Without MI and FL. the nominee will have no credibility.

May 19, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  22. Marmom

This better not be another election that is "stolen" – no one will stand for it. By tomorrow – Obama will have the majority of pledged delegates according to the rules that both sides agreed and signed their names to. Changing the rules at this point is what sore losers do (regardless of the fairness of the rules) . Time to be a leader and accept the decision of the majority.

May 19, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  23. Sweetie

I'm praying for you and our party!

Obama is not a viable candidate and what he and his wife and supporters have done to the Party I have worked for and loved my entire adult life is HORRIBLE!

I have never seen so much HATE and division-the reason I won't be voting for him in Nov. I fear what the Obama's will do to our country; based on what they have done so far to our Party we are in BIG trouble.

I hope I get to vote for you!

Hillary 08/McCain 08

May 19, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  24. The Lone Ranger

HILLARY, THE STAGE LEAVES DODGE AT NOON ,.. BE ON IT. THE AMERICAN PEOPLE HAVE WOKEN UP TO THE LYING, CONNIVING, DISHONEST, WAFFLING, SPINNING-TWIRLING, CHEATING, PANDERING, MANIPULATING, AND ALL THE OTHER DIRTY POLITICAL TRICKS. PLEAD YOUR PHONY CASE ALL YOU WANT, NO ONE IS LISTENING TO YOU. GET LOST.

HI HO BIG BROWN OBAMA 08

May 19, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  25. Marilyn

The media has determined that Barack will be the nominee, no matter what happens in the final primaries. However, there is no way he can win in November! I am a lifelong Democrat and I will NOT vote for him, nor will anyone I know.

May 19, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |