May 19th, 2008

Clinton: 'This is nowhere near over'

Clinton said Monday the Democratic race is not over.
Clinton said Monday the Democratic race is not over.

MAYSVILLE, Kentucky (CNN) - Hillary Clinton took a hard line on the state of the Democratic race Monday morning, telling supporters that it is "nowhere near over."

“I’m going to make [my case] until we have a nominee," she told a crowd at a high school gym, "but we’re not going to have one today and we’re not going to have one tomorrow and we’re not going to have one the next day.

“This is nowhere near over, none of us is going to have the number of delegates we’re going to need to get to the nomination,” she argued.

A campaign spokesman clarified, explaining that short of a deluge of superdelegates, Clinton believes neither candidate will have the necessary 2,210 delegates by the last primary on June 3, the number she says is needed because she argues Michigan's and Florida's delegates must be counted.

The Democratic National Committee has set the number of delegates needed at 2,026 after stripping those states of their delegates for moving up their primaries.

The Obama campaign has said that after Oregon and Kentucky’s primaries on Tuesday, they will have the majority of the pledged delegates.

But Clinton told supporters that she has the lead in the popular vote.

"Right now, more people have voted for me than have voted for my opponent," she said. "More people have voted for me than for anybody ever running for president before," she added, referring to previous Democratic primaries.

Clinton also made the same argument to the crowd on Monday that she has been making to superdelegates and to supporters for the past few weeks – it’s about the map.

“The states I’ve won total 300 electoral votes,” she said, explaining that 270 electoral votes are needed to win in November and that many of the states Obama has won will go for John McCain then .

“I still have a cushion if you look at all the states that I have won and take out those that may not be in our column come the fall. My opponent has 217 electoral votes from places like Alaska and Idaho and Utah and Kansas and Nebraska and many of his votes and his delegates come from caucus states, which have a relatively low turnout,” Clinton said.

Angling for a big win in Kentucky similar to West Virginia’s, Clinton tried out a line that she used there last week.

“You know, Kentucky has a history of picking presidents," she said. "People don’t get elected president without winning Kentucky.”

1. Mark

Well Hillary has all her supporters hanging on to a dream that has slipped away. Its really boring to watch her talk about staying in the race when its impossible to win so by her staying in she is just trying to draw more attention to herself so that she can try to get a landslide decission about Fla and Mi. All I can say is look past the smoke and mirriors and you will see what she is trying to do (BEND THE RULES TO HER FAVOR) by staying in Hillary get out before you sink the DEM party and the US

May 19, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  2. Denise

Thomas: The PRIMARIES are about delegates - not electoral votes. Her argument is bogus and her handlers are making her look ridiculous at this point.

May 19, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  3. lezah2

Go Hillary. I won't vote for Obama even if Hillary is the VP. He will never get my vote.

May 19, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  4. AM

What ever happened to the issues? Must not be all that important in this on going scuffle.

*munches on popcorn*

I love it when Dems fight among themselves. Great entertainment. I don't even need to say anything really to stir it up any either. It gets even better when one side plays the racism or sexism card on the other.

Go Hillary! Keep on fighting.

May 19, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  5. jonnie

She's not called sweetie! I, like a number of dems will not vote for someone who has no experience, lies, never knows exactly what he said, as he always tells us he did not mean to say that, thinks there are 60 states in American and that he has visited 57 of them, do I go on? Barack will not be the next president nor will he have the respect of many democrates. Maybe in about 8 years he would be a good president but not now. It will be McCain in 08, sadly. But then, at least he has experience. We are not bitter nor do we chose to blindly vote for any dem. For the first time in a long time, we are not going to have much of a choice. And Wise White Guy, I wish you lived up to your name.

May 19, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  6. It's Over

Be a responsible Mother Hillary and quit spending your daughters inheritance! It's Over!

May 19, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  7. Eric

Hillary needs to come to reality. I respect her tenacity, but it is, what it is. Obama is going to win the nomination, as well as the general election.

I hope Hillary come to grips with this soon. Obama is showing her respect, but now, she just can’t let go.

Pray for her…

May 19, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  8. Showme

While no Democrat may have recently won the presidency in the past without carrying West Virginia and Kentucky (in the general election!?!), NEITHER party has won the presidency without carrying Missouri. Obama had the most votes of any candidate in the Missouri primary and the Republicans still had a contest then.

May 19, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  9. Pam

It's not 2210 delegates that are needed to clinch the nomination, it's 2025. It must be interesting living in Hillary-land.

May 19, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  10. Jessica in IL

But it IS over, duh...

May 19, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  11. Nick in Las Vegas

I'm proud to support Hillary Clinton for President. Obama has not won my support and should not expect it come Novemember if he is the nominee. Pundits have been telling Hillary to drop out since before she won Ohio, Penn, W. Virginia... Now she is expected to win Kentucy by a HUGE margin and people are saying "this is over".... I DON'T THINK SO!

May 19, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  12. IF, Lisbon

I think we could all agree the lady has a lot of imagination. Sniper fire, ahead in delegates, etc. I suggest a crasg course in maths. Or better still, a crash course on reality. A new Gallup poll says Obama is gaining on her, nationally. Bow out, lady, while you can still do it in a slightly graceful way.

May 19, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  13. Patrick

Whats really funny is her last line. Because NO ONE in the last hundred years has been elected president without winning Missouri....... which Hillary lost, and Barack won.

May 19, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  14. Christoffel van Vuuren

I am no Hillary fan, even less of an Obama fan, but it is not over until the fat lady sings, and she will only sing at the Democrat Convention. HRC has all the right in the world to fight till the convention is over. Go girl, Go! It is your democratic right to do so.

Mcain is the only one who can keep Americans safe.

May 19, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  15. Elisabeth

Good Hillary, you are are winner!

May 19, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  16. Sandra

Is Kentucky one of the big states now? I thought it is whoever wins the big states wins; why bother, Hillary, with small states like Kentucky?

Oh! Ok changing fortunes, changing tone.

By next week: As Puerto Rico goes, so goes the Nation.
    Really Hillarious!

May 19, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  17. Kevin,FL

Its NOT over! if FL & MI is not counted, and HRC is not the nominee, Obama folks count us HRC supporters to vote for MCCAIN!

May 19, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  18. Carrie

Enough is enough!! Yes Hillary you can finish the campaign trail...you need to to transfer your debt. The rule is the delegates...not the popular vote.

I will be glad when the last primary is over....then we can truly get to running for the presidency.

May 19, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  19. Nauseous

Three questions for Mrs. Clinton:

1)What are you saying to Alaska, Idaho, Utah, Kansas and Nebraska?

2)Who taught you that saying whatever the poll of the days favors equates to leadership?

3)Why is it that you're interested in "counting every vote" when it suits you in Michigan and Florida, but letting the superdelegates supercede the voters when counting doesn't suit you?

Nevermind, we know the answers.

May 19, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  20. Matt

The truth hurts? Maybe you should face it then Clinton! You can not and will not win. It is not technically over but it might as well be.

May 19, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  21. julius

well This article is a about the democratic presidential nomination.
    I will not support B.Obama as long as this woman is in the race TO WIN IT!!!!!!

May 19, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  22. Joe in Kentucky

I think this is what they refer to as "the lunatic fringe."

May 19, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  23. GO OBAMA

I'm for Obama but don't agree with his strategy not campaigning in Kentucky. Even he won't win there but an effort should have been made to keep it close!
    And Hillary is yapping about things which are not true. She should count the stars and add them to her polular count!

May 19, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  24. liz

Keep On Going, Hillary!! These people can't handle a horse race – it isn't over till the last vote is counted!!

May 19, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  25. Franco

Hillary Clinton is the most superior candidate period ! Since experience is not being considered for the Dem. nominee I want to cast my vote for Curtis Granderson (Detroit Tiger) and Jacoby Ellersby
    (Boston Red Sox). These guys are well spoken and have alot of charisma. Geraldine Ferrara is accurate in her evaluation of Obama. In fact, millons will probably follow her lead in not supporting Obama
    in the general election, I know I will !

May 19, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |