May 19th, 2008

Clinton: 'This is nowhere near over'

Clinton said Monday the Democratic race is not over.
Clinton said Monday the Democratic race is not over.

MAYSVILLE, Kentucky (CNN) - Hillary Clinton took a hard line on the state of the Democratic race Monday morning, telling supporters that it is "nowhere near over."

“I’m going to make [my case] until we have a nominee," she told a crowd at a high school gym, "but we’re not going to have one today and we’re not going to have one tomorrow and we’re not going to have one the next day.

“This is nowhere near over, none of us is going to have the number of delegates we’re going to need to get to the nomination,” she argued.

A campaign spokesman clarified, explaining that short of a deluge of superdelegates, Clinton believes neither candidate will have the necessary 2,210 delegates by the last primary on June 3, the number she says is needed because she argues Michigan's and Florida's delegates must be counted.

The Democratic National Committee has set the number of delegates needed at 2,026 after stripping those states of their delegates for moving up their primaries.

The Obama campaign has said that after Oregon and Kentucky’s primaries on Tuesday, they will have the majority of the pledged delegates.

But Clinton told supporters that she has the lead in the popular vote.

"Right now, more people have voted for me than have voted for my opponent," she said. "More people have voted for me than for anybody ever running for president before," she added, referring to previous Democratic primaries.

Clinton also made the same argument to the crowd on Monday that she has been making to superdelegates and to supporters for the past few weeks – it’s about the map.

“The states I’ve won total 300 electoral votes,” she said, explaining that 270 electoral votes are needed to win in November and that many of the states Obama has won will go for John McCain then .

“I still have a cushion if you look at all the states that I have won and take out those that may not be in our column come the fall. My opponent has 217 electoral votes from places like Alaska and Idaho and Utah and Kansas and Nebraska and many of his votes and his delegates come from caucus states, which have a relatively low turnout,” Clinton said.

Angling for a big win in Kentucky similar to West Virginia’s, Clinton tried out a line that she used there last week.

“You know, Kentucky has a history of picking presidents," she said. "People don’t get elected president without winning Kentucky.”

1. Banko

The Clintons just got a bad dream. The good people of this country just out-rightly rejected inevitability. The ship sailed since Super Tuesday. Get lost . It's over.

May 19, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  2. Obama 08

funny, the states she has won total 300 electoral votes, but we are still in the primary...

Oh yeah, and she has more popular votes, if you count MI and FL, BUT not the cacuses.

Here is her quote from today...

You can declare yourself anything, but if you don't have the votes, it doesn't matter," Clinton said Monday in a satellite interview with an Oregon television station before a campaign appearance in Kentucky.

she should declare her campaign over

May 19, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  3. T.T. Jones

Hillary '08!!

May 19, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  4. Montana is Obama Country

...What..... I thought that was what she said about West Virginia..??

May 19, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  5. Ronald

Is she talking about her marriage to Bill or her campaign for Presidency? She never knew when to quit when she should have.

May 19, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  6. Ready for Change

Conventions are made for picking nominees, so why in the world would we be so worried about this?????

May 19, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  7. arun

2+2 is not 22 Senator Clinton.

May 19, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  8. Russell, NC

Will someone please tell Hillary it is over. It seems that she can't tell when she is stuck.

May 19, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  9. Val, Atlanta, Ga

She really have problem, she's a sore loser. I guess its hard for her to understand that the Clinton's can lose some time. Get over it and take your meds.

Obama/08

May 19, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  10. Charles

So, Hillary is winning the bigoted, uneducated, elderly woman vote. Is that something to be proud of? I wonder how she would fare up against George Wallace?

May 19, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  11. What?

I would like to see her make the case that Obama could ever possibly lose California, where he now ranks higher in polls than she does. That state alone is worth 54 delegates, or more than 1/9 needed to win. Combine that with Obama's ability to take back southern strongholds like Virginia, North Carolina, or even Georgia, plus making McCain waste money and time in areas like Mississippi or Alabama, and his winning strategy is laid out for him

May 19, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  12. Kris from AZ

Hillary you are divisive and you are ruining the democratic party. Land the plane and start talking about unity. Please for our future is at stake. Hillary you are creating Hillarepublicans. Shame on you. Do the respectable thing.

May 19, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  13. Bitter Allen Hissein from Visalia

Hillary, keep on running until the last primary vote is counted. You have earned that. When the last primary vote is counted, I hope you will unite with the rest of the Democratic Party in seeing Barack Obama win the White House this fall!

May 19, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  14. CW in DC

________________________________________________________

To say "OH MY GOD!!!" Doesn't quite echo my sentiments!!!!

May 19, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  15. Lauren-CO

Hillary I think you are an amazing, strong woman but you are being stupid right now. Just stop it.

Obama

May 19, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  16. Rich

So once again the argument boils down to: "Count every state and every vote...no wait don't count THOSE ones."

May 19, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  17. Warren, Chicago

Before Obama starts negotiating with Ahmadinejab and Kim Jong, why doesn't he test his skills with gang leaders in Chicago who have gunned down over 400 people in the last two months. And that's in his own backyard.

May 19, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  18. David

PLEASE let it go Hillary. As a 23 year old, degree-holding black man, I was one of your supporters up until midway through the campaign. I am a firm Barack Obama supporter and NOT because he is black, but because he believes in all that i believe in. But I do hope you join as the VP ticket. PLEASE bow out gracefully come June 4th.

And to those who will vote for McCain if not Hillary, you have much deeper issues to explore within yourselves. I have yet to see support behind choosing McCain over Obama. If Hillary and Obama are for the same general ideologies, why would you do a 360? That, I don't understand. I hope and pray that you all will open up and accept that your party member lost (as I would) and accept Barack Obama as your Democratic Presidential Candidate. God Bless.

May 19, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  19. charlene

Its not over yet , I still believe Hillary can pull this off.

Hillary 08

May 19, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  20. A.J.

The more she loses, the more she talks about winning and the more the rest of her base believes her!

Congratulations for your run, Hillary, but you have reached the end of this adventure....but there is much more to come you way, just not president.

And well, I must say, looking at the way you deal with all theses problems, you are a great politician.

May 19, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  21. The Truth

Wow....I dont even know how to respond to that...she is too funny.

Can anyone say reality check?....

OBAMA '08!

May 19, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  22. Venus

It's not over for you –

But it's almost over for Obama!

We have June 3rd primary – and then....

Go Bam!

May 19, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  23. shamous mc

Since when does a contestant set the rules of the game?
    The DNC says the number is 2026.
    HRC herself,said multiple times, MI + FL would not count.
    Now she's claiming MI entirely for herself in her new math.
    I would have respect for her if she respected the game.
    I bet her brothers hated playing Monopoly with her.

May 19, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  24. Paul

Clinton is crazy. Obama has a majority of the pledged delegates, a huge lead in superdelegates, and polls ahead of Hillary vs. McCain. Lay off the pipe... you surely ARE INHALING!

May 19, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  25. Rom

OMG !!!!
    She keeps lying about the popular vote
    That's contradictory, she desperately tries to include MI and FL by saying all voters should be counted but by claiming the popular vote she actually exclude caucus states such as Iowa, Maine, Nevada ....
    And the worst they are some people who are listening to her
    I am lost !!!, I don't really know how things work in her mind

May 19, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |