May 19th, 2008

Clinton: 'This is nowhere near over'

Clinton said Monday the Democratic race is not over.
Clinton said Monday the Democratic race is not over.

MAYSVILLE, Kentucky (CNN) - Hillary Clinton took a hard line on the state of the Democratic race Monday morning, telling supporters that it is "nowhere near over."

“I’m going to make [my case] until we have a nominee," she told a crowd at a high school gym, "but we’re not going to have one today and we’re not going to have one tomorrow and we’re not going to have one the next day.

“This is nowhere near over, none of us is going to have the number of delegates we’re going to need to get to the nomination,” she argued.

A campaign spokesman clarified, explaining that short of a deluge of superdelegates, Clinton believes neither candidate will have the necessary 2,210 delegates by the last primary on June 3, the number she says is needed because she argues Michigan's and Florida's delegates must be counted.

The Democratic National Committee has set the number of delegates needed at 2,026 after stripping those states of their delegates for moving up their primaries.

The Obama campaign has said that after Oregon and Kentucky’s primaries on Tuesday, they will have the majority of the pledged delegates.

But Clinton told supporters that she has the lead in the popular vote.

"Right now, more people have voted for me than have voted for my opponent," she said. "More people have voted for me than for anybody ever running for president before," she added, referring to previous Democratic primaries.

Clinton also made the same argument to the crowd on Monday that she has been making to superdelegates and to supporters for the past few weeks – it’s about the map.

“The states I’ve won total 300 electoral votes,” she said, explaining that 270 electoral votes are needed to win in November and that many of the states Obama has won will go for John McCain then .

“I still have a cushion if you look at all the states that I have won and take out those that may not be in our column come the fall. My opponent has 217 electoral votes from places like Alaska and Idaho and Utah and Kansas and Nebraska and many of his votes and his delegates come from caucus states, which have a relatively low turnout,” Clinton said.

Angling for a big win in Kentucky similar to West Virginia’s, Clinton tried out a line that she used there last week.

“You know, Kentucky has a history of picking presidents," she said. "People don’t get elected president without winning Kentucky.”

1. Christine Florida

May 19th, 2008 3:09 pm ET

“The states I’ve won total 300 electoral votes,” she said, explaining that 270 electoral votes are needed to win in November .

When she compares states she's won to states he's won she doesn't take in to account that states like Calif and NY that she won he will also win in the GE. Her math and her logic are extremely one sided. She has put the goal post in so many places I think even she has lost sight of it.

May 19, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  2. GOC

IT IS OVER SIGNORA.

May 19, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  3. jr

Has anyone told her that they are not counting electoral votes in the primaries? I understand her point but please, Senator Byrd formerly of the white sheet possee has now endorsed Obama. Is she the only one out there that does not realize he is going to be the nominee regardless of her arguement?

May 19, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  4. IAMWMD

The viper tries to spin the numbers once again. Take your pants suit to the cleaners and get ready for your court date in California while the true Democrats are at the convention.

May 19, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  5. John Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin

Hillary, get alife.. it is over sweetie.....just watch her hand the election over to McCain.........

May 19, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  6. women for a woman president

If you were a Democrat in Florida or Michigan, would you think the race was over?

May 19, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  7. Mohammad, Los Angeles CA

She needs to grow up. Honestly. Even Huckabee wasn't such a pain in the butt. Just bow out with some shred of dignity, Hillary, before its too late.

And what is up with Geralidine Ferrarro? What an animal that woman is, to actually publicy say she won't vote for Obama..is she actually a democrat?? GROW UP CLINTON SUPPORTERS.

May 19, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  8. Aaron F

Actually, this is very close to over.

May 19, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  9. Hillary 4 President!

To: Oh Boy...

I'd rather stay home than vote for BHO! AND, after he loses and you all cast blame on HRC and us–take a good long look at why he lost–not only b/c of his record, but demographics and all the nasty stuff you all have said in blogs, the media and what other politicians have said. You will have helped him lose!! You cannot expect to go around bad mouthing people then expect them to support you. And , you people are the "educated" ones. The heck with the Dem Party, no I have to be true to myself before I go off and vote for someone I don't believe in. That would be like marrying a man I don't love!

May 19, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  10. Kris from AZ

Seems like every state she goes to she is saying she cant make with without that state. Now she is claiming she is the popular vote. NOTHING BUT WORD PLAY TO GET VOTES. She is playing you Kentucky.

May 19, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  11. paul Christian

Good for you Hillary. I still don't have the slightest idea what Obama is about. All I see is bad news coming out of him. Just look who is supporting him in the Muslim world. I'm going for Hillary.

May 19, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  12. Jackson

if McCain wins this election he can heartily thank the DNC ... and MoveOn.org ... and that is the truth. Hillary Clinton is the best candidate the Dems have had in years.

May 19, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  13. KC

If Obama chooses Sebelius, I'm voting republican. Has anyone heard of that board game her son has developed. It's called "don't drop the soap" and it's clearly very racial and stereotypical. No Obama, stay away from Sebilius.

May 19, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  14. YR

I just can't believe the DNC is going to give up their chance to take the White House by nominating an unelectable candidate. McCain will walk in no problem. You want a win in November? Make it a Hillary/Obama ticket. Nothing else will get the democrats the WH.

May 19, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  15. Nutcase

She's loose again! Send the men in white coats.

I get a kick out of watching her make a fool of herself. Just as well, McCain would have had a field day running against her. No more bobble head Hillary, CNN.

May 19, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  16. Me

Oh my God! Hillary, have you no shame? This is turning into a circus....The concert is over people have left the stadium, stop playing that music!!!!!!
    Stop all the non-sense talk and come over to the Obama's camp, we need your support to win the Presidency in November.

May 19, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  17. Jason, Texas

wow. she just won't go away. she is being so irrational it isn't even funny anymore.

May 19, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  18. AMB

It's sad to see such a great competitor so delusional about her chances. The Clinton dynasty is over and now it's time for "change", the kind that Barack is proposing.

The best poliliticians know when it's time to bow out and when it's time to do so graciously and gracefully. She will be remembered by history by how she chooses to end this campaign–graceful and gracious, or deluded and resentful.

May 19, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  19. A rational human being

I can't understand why her supporters don't see through her blatantly transparent attempts to fiddle with the numbers until they end up in her favor.

The further she presses on, the more pathetic she becomes.

May 19, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  20. R Garcia

All that sniper fire really made her go crazy. This lady has changed her campaign slogan 11 times, and spent all of the money that "hard working" americans gave her, and they still want her to be nominated? I find that hard to believe. The more Hillary opens her mouth, the more support she loses. She's a spin doctor, and can spin away, but the truth, lies in numbers, and they've been pretty much the same since Feb. 5. I've supported Obama since he began running, and I would've supported Hillary if she won, even though I despise her, I'll take the lesser evil and keep my responsibility to the Democrats and American people. Hillary supporters, if you're truly Democratic, you know Obama's a good pick, it just wasn't Hillary's time. I expect your support to go to Obama, once Hillary endorses him.

May 19, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  21. Mashimiro

I respect women fighters. But there is time and place you pick a fight. I have been a feminist all my life. If a woman decides to vote for Hillary, and not for O'bama for no other valid reason other than the fact that Hillary is a woman, and if a democratic woman would rather vote for McCain rather than Obama, she fails to see the bigger picture (the need to stop Republican control, and the need to bring the country back onto the right track). It's sad to see that with feminism in heart, which is a good thing, some women fail to make the right choice for the good of the country (not just women). It's sad that after so many years, many of us are still narrow-minded and near sighted.

May 19, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  22. JA Cook

Women who do not back Hillary are traitors!

Anyone else who is not backing Hillary is a sexist!!

If she doesn't get the nomination, vote for McCain and help diminish women's rights in order to punish the Democrats who failed to support Hillary!!

May 19, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  23. Eugene, Oregon

Good for Clinton. We Americans don't like quitters. Go to the convention and give it back the meaning it used to have when candidates were routinely chosen there.

May 19, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  24. James Hogan

I dont understand when a person draws a 75,000 people crowd you can still say your going to continue a dead campaign. Theres not point clinton drop out for tha greatness of this party and lets focus on Out of touch with reality McCain and the Dumpulicans

May 19, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  25. If you were smart...

Obama isn't even saying "it's over" as he does not want to lose half of the democratic base's support by criticizing her. Many of you are making his job more difficult going into the fall...

Please do not insult Hillary or her supporters. We need to stick together. The remaining states have the right to be heard.

May 19, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |