May 19th, 2008

Clinton: 'This is nowhere near over'

Clinton said Monday the Democratic race is not over.
Clinton said Monday the Democratic race is not over.

MAYSVILLE, Kentucky (CNN) - Hillary Clinton took a hard line on the state of the Democratic race Monday morning, telling supporters that it is "nowhere near over."

“I’m going to make [my case] until we have a nominee," she told a crowd at a high school gym, "but we’re not going to have one today and we’re not going to have one tomorrow and we’re not going to have one the next day.

“This is nowhere near over, none of us is going to have the number of delegates we’re going to need to get to the nomination,” she argued.

A campaign spokesman clarified, explaining that short of a deluge of superdelegates, Clinton believes neither candidate will have the necessary 2,210 delegates by the last primary on June 3, the number she says is needed because she argues Michigan's and Florida's delegates must be counted.

The Democratic National Committee has set the number of delegates needed at 2,026 after stripping those states of their delegates for moving up their primaries.

The Obama campaign has said that after Oregon and Kentucky’s primaries on Tuesday, they will have the majority of the pledged delegates.

But Clinton told supporters that she has the lead in the popular vote.

"Right now, more people have voted for me than have voted for my opponent," she said. "More people have voted for me than for anybody ever running for president before," she added, referring to previous Democratic primaries.

Clinton also made the same argument to the crowd on Monday that she has been making to superdelegates and to supporters for the past few weeks – it’s about the map.

“The states I’ve won total 300 electoral votes,” she said, explaining that 270 electoral votes are needed to win in November and that many of the states Obama has won will go for John McCain then .

“I still have a cushion if you look at all the states that I have won and take out those that may not be in our column come the fall. My opponent has 217 electoral votes from places like Alaska and Idaho and Utah and Kansas and Nebraska and many of his votes and his delegates come from caucus states, which have a relatively low turnout,” Clinton said.

Angling for a big win in Kentucky similar to West Virginia’s, Clinton tried out a line that she used there last week.

“You know, Kentucky has a history of picking presidents," she said. "People don’t get elected president without winning Kentucky.”

1. R. Squibbs

We've had eight years of a president who lies whenever it's convenient, who stubbornly refuses to face facts, who changes rules when they don't favor him, and who often seems downright delusional.

Do we really need another one just like him?

May 19, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  2. ONLY IN THE UNITED STATES

do we LEAVE OUT two states that voted for Hillary.......COUNT ALL THE STATES

May 19, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  3. JimmieJ.

She's right! I wish the media would stop projecting in advance of knowing the final outcome. This is the most sexist & racist nomination I have ever seen. CNN has the most biased reporting I have ever heard. I bet they say OBAMA several thousand times a day, but very little about Clinton. I guess they are trying to use power of suggestion. If she doesn't get on the ticket in one way or the other I will not vote Democrat this year.

May 19, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  4. bernice

In other words Hillary supporters - keep sending her your hard earned $$$ so she can get rid of some of her debt!

May 19, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  5. Zion

Senator Byrd is a card carrying member of the KKK, check it out. This is not just me shotting off at the mouth. Remember the roots of the Democratic party, segregation, socialism, and racism. SOME OF THE SUPPORTERS NOT ALL that Hillary has recently attracted support those old historical views. Vote McCain in, Obama can afford his tax cuts and relief for the rich. Can some of you delusional people? PS. Hillary is making white feminist look really weak right now.

May 19, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  6. Trisha

My gosh......To all the "I won't vote for him....I won't vote for her" you sound like spoiled children! I am an Obama supporter, but a Democrat first and foremost. My vote stands for the values and platforms that this great party was built upon. Perhaps you stay at homers and pouters should form your own party...I wish you luck!
    As for Geraldine....perhaps you should be the Mommie Dearest to these naughty stay at homers!

May 19, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  7. Get Real

WE don't want anyone for president who will not stand by what they signed up for. We don't want a president who lies to us several times on something that really didn't even matter then just laughs it off on Jay Leno. We don't want a president who will not accept the rules of engagement. We don't want a president who cannot be financially responsible. In short, we don't want you Hillary.

As for my contributions to Obama's campaign, I'm sure hoping they have just about been spent. I would be furious if even one red cent went to your excessive, oppulent, extravagent zoo called your campaign.

May 19, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  8. Kevin

Hillary is gone

All Republicans and sane Democrats- enjoy

McCain 08

May 19, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  9. TaraLynn

I am so thankful she is staying in the race.

Why can Obama supporters not understand that without Hillary's supporters...he will never win the White House??

May 19, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  10. Mike

Hillary, it's over! you just look silly at this point.

Do us all a favor and just go away!

May 19, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  11. Dan (Kirkland, WA)

"People don’t get elected president without winning Kentucky.”
    -HRC

Hasn't she said this in every state where she's help a poll advantage heading into a primary?

May 19, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  12. Swalker327

Hillary please go away before you completely tear our party apart!!

May 19, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  13. Carol in Northern California

Really, Hillary? This "we must count the votes from Mich & Fla" is so over the top. It was SHE who kept her name on the ballot in MI when ALL of the candidates agreed to NOT campaign there or keep their names on. Yes,it is easy to "win" a state when your name is the only one on the ballot. The Clintons change the rules when it benefits them. We are sick of this, Hllary. PLEASE go home and take Bill with you.

May 19, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  14. A. Harrison in Georgia

I agree with Hillary Totally!

This race is not over. Do the Lakers, Spurs, Magic, Patriots, Mets, Braves, etc run off the court, field etc when they are loosing or winning for that matter. Give this "race is over" nonsense a rest and watch this thing play out.

Fair is fair.

May 19, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  15. LeftyLadig

Hillary, it has been over since your imaginary sniper fire.

May 19, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  16. New Day

Oh, let the old lady have her 5 last primaries. Sheeeesh!

May 19, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  17. Debra Austin, Texas

The reality is that the longer she goes on, the more I don't want her for dog catcher. She can keep going if she thinks this is getting her anything but more and more she is looking just like George W. Bush, stubborn and unyiedling. We just had a President with those credentials, I don't want another.

May 19, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  18. Deb

Hilliary is all for herself. Her behavior is irresponsible and arrogant. She has not and cannot earn enough delegates, superdelegates or votes to win the democratic nomination. She should bow out now gracefully and with what little dignity she has left.

It is clear that she has lost; if she continues down this destructive path, she will also continue to lose the confidence of the American people as well as her "supporters."

Obama '08

May 19, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  19. I Asian From VA

Voting for McCain is like voting for third term for Bush. So Obama suppoters do you really believe Obama has the answer to all these problems in our country. This is what call "Fairy tale dreams".

After this election, American need a lot of praying.

May 19, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  20. Obama v McCain

I know why she's saying this.. she's going to drop a Hillary Clinton kitchen sink bomb very very soon..their camp claims to be sitting on a story that they really dont know how to let out yet about Obama..

May 19, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  21. Bushwhacked in Eugene, OR

Sorry Hillary. I used to be a fan, but your wanting to change the rules [re Florida and Michigan] for your own benefit is just one more example of the lack of integrity you've shown, and that's driven me away from you.

It's over. Accept it with dignity and move on.

May 19, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  22. Albuquerque

Go Hillary!

It is not over.

May 19, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  23. mollusc

"Obama Supporter, but anybody but McCain 08! May 19th, 2008 3:07 pm ET

Hillary, are you dyslexic? The number is 2,026"

Not if you include Florida and Michigan... then the number is 2210.

Bottom line... Obama doesn't HAVE EITHER number... 2026 or 2210. It is almost funny how he prances around nominating himself and doesn't want to play by the rules... A little too arrogant for my taste.

May 19, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  24. Scooter

Her math skills have proven to be poor and now we can add history to her failed subjects. Here's quick list of Kentucky primary winners that DID NOT get elected president:

1988: Al Gore
    1996: Bob Dole
    2000: Al Gore
    2004: John Kerry

Next we can add 2008: Hillary Clinton

May 19, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  25. Tired of W, OH

CNN, why is it a new headline in the ticker every time Hillary says it's not over. She says this every day! Is it a slow news day, or what?

May 19, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |