May 19th, 2008

Ferraro suggests she may not vote for Obama

Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.
Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.

(CNN) - Geraldine Ferraro, the outspoken former Democratic vice presidential candidate and a supporter of Hillary Clinton's White House bid, told the New York Times she may not vote for Barack Obama should he be the party's nominee.

Ferraro, a former member of Clinton's finance committee who resigned that post earlier this year after making comments many viewed as racially offensive, also said she thinks the Illinois senator has been "terribly sexist" over the course of the presidential campaign.

The comments appear to underscore the potential difficulty Obama may have courting some women voters in the fall - many of whom have said they feel a solidarity with the New York senator over the barriers Clinton faces in her bid to become the first female president.

Ferraro has not shied away from discussing the impact of race and gender throughout the Democratic presidential campaign. In March, the former congresswoman told a California newspaper the chief reason Obama's candidacy was successful was because he was black.

"If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position," she told The Daily Breeze. "And if he was a woman, he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept."

Ferraro also said Clinton had been the victim of a "sexist media."

Obama later called those comments "ridiculous," and Clinton said she disagreed with them.

Ferraro maintained her comments were not racist, but ultimately resigned from the Clinton campaign after they caused an uproar.

"The Obama campaign is attacking me to hurt you. I won't let that happen," she wrote in her resignation letter to Clinton, adding, "I am who I am and I will continue to speak up."

soundoff (1,092 Responses)
  1. joeparadis

It is too bad that the primary is coming to an end. The subjects of sexism and racism are just now being discussed in a serious way. The American public is now on to the race-baiting and has had time to take stock of what is real and what is not. I once thought both Mr. Obama and Mrs. Clinton were fine candidates. Now I have a real concern about Mr. Obama's substance and am increasingly disturbed by his mindless, destroy-all supporters.

2. Swalker327

Ms. Ferraro is so bitter its obvious that needs what she doesn't have - a piece of the male organ !!!

3. Greg Pa

B Black ,

Are you raciest? Do you hate white people?

I can't believe CNN let you post.

4. Left Coast Mike, Laguna Niguel, CA

Here we go again. All those repubublinik Ann Couler wannabees post here as "Hillary" supporters and say they are not going to vote for Obama if he gets the nomination. Of course you won't. We don't care. You're staying home and watching Fox News that day, just like evry other day of your life has been so you found a "Jesus" that fit right in with your political point of view. By all means, stay home. Those of us who believe in this Nation more than the King James version of the Bible will be voting that day ..... in numbers the world has never seen before .... million upon millions of us. And the rest of you, please stay home and be angry. It's what you do best.

5. Heather Seattle, Wa

As a white woman I have been told that it's my duty to vote for my "sister", how dare I betray her by voting for a man? I have receive nasty grams from NOW, the HRC campaign, Emily's List, about my obligation to HRC because we share similar biology. A true feminist would tell me to do exactly as I have done.....educate MYSELF on the candidates, make MY OWN decision, exercise MY right to vote. If anyone is sexist, it's the Clinton supporters who do not trust us lowly women to make an informed decision. The angry rhetoric comes from them aimed at anyone, male (they hate strong women), women (traitors!), black people (you owe the Clintons), educated people (activists!).....the only people and ideas that seem to have any worth in this election are their own.
    I am a white woman, I voted for Obama. Not because I hate Clinton or dare to betray her, but because his ideas align better with mine. Why is it so hard to believe that this is possible?

6. Skepticus

Ms. Ferraro is a blunt, honest woman who "tells it like it is" and some people don't care for that. Mostly Obama supporters, those mindless zombies who cannot even explain why they like the Pretender to the Throne. "Change" is easy to promise but very difficult to deliver. Obama is a racist and a liar who wasn't even black until he chose to be during his high school years. I do not want a President who was ever a member of the Congressional Black Caucus, a very racist organization. Geraldine did not go far enough in denouncing this poser.

7. Beth

Good for her! That's my plan too.

It isn't bitterness BTW. I am an independent and couldn't care less about party unity. I prefer Clinton to McCain, but McCain to Obama. Issues are important but so is believing the candidate is qualified for the job. Substitute any first-term Senator and I would feel the same. His arrogance and yes DIVISIVENESS has just made me all the *more* determined that he has done nothing to deserve my vote. Sorry but I refuse to be a lemming.

If he is so determined to help americans, why did he not even warm his senate seat before running for President? And what exactly did he actually ACCOMPLISH in Illinois that makes him think he can vault from that to the highest office? Did he transform Chicago politics? Not so much. Then...

Take a look at his actual US Senate career– what has he actually DONE? Not much of substance.

I've done lots of community volunteering. I would have voted against the war, I think the government needs a lot of work. According to this campaign, I think I'm qualified. I'll shoot for 2016 and start looking for a suitable runningmate. Now to find a vapid slogan......

8. kees

Following your election 2008 I’ am starting to think The great USA is looking like a third World country, openly telling lies, abusing and accusing one and other. Counting seems to be a problem, what are computers for? Many people write with hate in their hearts, there are those who still blatantly discriminate and don’t want an black or a female as their president, disowning their own Party and vote for the opposition because their party’s fairly chosen candidate is either black or a woman, where I think you as an American should be proud to have the first black or female president in your history and show the world what it means to live in the land of freedom, the land of sugar and honey. Instead we see a country that starts wars, is nearly bankrupt does not have a decent healthcare system, corruption and we could go on But they still want to be the leading power in this world, they still dare to judge other country’s.
    I would say get your own backyard in order, Vote without spite for the party you believe in and turn your country back in what it should be, one that others can look up to and use as an example.
    DARE TO CARE from within, for yours and others
    Go for the change and future, good luck.
    Citizen of this world.

9. msims

For the democratic women who will not support Obama and blame the media for being sexist.

The media may be sexist, but they did not run Senator Clinton's campaign. She has had every advantage in her bid for President.

1. The Clinton name
    2. Huge amount of the democratic hierarchy support
    3. President Clinton
    4. Money
    5. Polls all in her favor

Face it! Her campaign blew it! Most reasonable people can see that she needed to fire Mark Penn, Terry Mac.

So please just get over it. Hillary has no one to blame but her self and her campaign staff.

10. The Realist

To all the WOMEN out there, especially the HRC supporters that won't vote for Obama in the fall! I encourage you to stay home or vote for McCain and see what impact your decision to throw out LOGIC will have on the lives of your daughters a grand daughters. The next president will most likely be able to appoint 1 or 2 judges to the supreme court and McCain has already stated he would appoint some good ol' conservatives! We are getting closer to seeing Roe vs Wade being overturn. So with the help of you guys or should I say "gals" we can finally make abortion illegal in this country!! After all, it just won't be right to vote for anyone but Hillary for she was preordained to be president

11. Carol

Geraldine, you are a bitter, angry woman and sexist person yourself. I could care a less about your hypocritical comment. You blame and accuse the medica, Obamas supporters and Obama himself as being sexist, however your remarks and actions over the years speak mountains to the sexist views you have of everyone who does not agree with you.

Obamas comment calling someone sweetie makes him sexist. Well as a parent, I call people sweetie and hun left and right. I guess that makes me sexist in your eyes?

You might want to look up the meaning of sexist. You will find there are key elements missing in somebody just calling someone sweetie before it's sexist.

12. Crush Rush

Republicans are starting to suffacate in the stench they made for years.Its like watching Lions take down an aged Elephant.

13. Jason

Hillary has again released Ferraro to inject venom into the Democratic party hoping to ruin Barack's chances so that she will run again in 2012.
    But we, Obama's supporters are waiting for her in 2012. But senate and any other contests will be beyond Hillary's reach.

Karma, maybe she does not know what it means.

14. Anyone but Obama

Boy, some of you just don't get it. A vote against Obama or any other Democrat isn't necessarily a vote against the Democratic Party. If Hitler had been a Democrat in the U.S., would it have been a bad decision to vote Republican? Voting for Obama would be like voting for a Louis Farrakhan wanna be. Sorry, but my Democrat vote isn't going there.

15. 58 white old ladies for OBAMA

SO WE WERE A BIT HARSH. NOT

WE THINK OF THIS BIGOT AS MUCH AS WE DO OTHERS.

HAVING BIGOTS LIKE FERRSLIME ON BOARD THE DEMOCRATIC

PARTY MAKES IT HARD TO DIFFERENTIATE OUR SELVES FROM

THE THE REPUBLICANS. THROW HER BACK IN THE SLIME

PIT SHE CRAWLED OUT OF.

16. Sly in Seattle

you women are pitiful

May 19, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  17. joe

Hillary is not getting the nomination and those who would rather vote for McCain over Obama are probably Republicans at heart and voted for Bush in the last two elections.

May 19, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |