May 19th, 2008

Ferraro suggests she may not vote for Obama

Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.
Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.

(CNN) - Geraldine Ferraro, the outspoken former Democratic vice presidential candidate and a supporter of Hillary Clinton's White House bid, told the New York Times she may not vote for Barack Obama should he be the party's nominee.

Ferraro, a former member of Clinton's finance committee who resigned that post earlier this year after making comments many viewed as racially offensive, also said she thinks the Illinois senator has been "terribly sexist" over the course of the presidential campaign.

The comments appear to underscore the potential difficulty Obama may have courting some women voters in the fall - many of whom have said they feel a solidarity with the New York senator over the barriers Clinton faces in her bid to become the first female president.

Ferraro has not shied away from discussing the impact of race and gender throughout the Democratic presidential campaign. In March, the former congresswoman told a California newspaper the chief reason Obama's candidacy was successful was because he was black.

"If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position," she told The Daily Breeze. "And if he was a woman, he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept."

Ferraro also said Clinton had been the victim of a "sexist media."

Obama later called those comments "ridiculous," and Clinton said she disagreed with them.

Ferraro maintained her comments were not racist, but ultimately resigned from the Clinton campaign after they caused an uproar.

"The Obama campaign is attacking me to hurt you. I won't let that happen," she wrote in her resignation letter to Clinton, adding, "I am who I am and I will continue to speak up."

soundoff (1,092 Responses)
  1. Tom Hopkin

Who cares!!!!!!!!

May 19, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  2. Linned

As a true Democrat that would be the smart thing to do.

May 19, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  3. fred

I am with her....I won't either!!!

GO Hillary!!!

If Hillary doesn't win the nomination....WRITE IN HILLARY or VOTE FOR McCAIN!!

May 19, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  4. Mar

I am with you Geraldine. I will not vote for Obama. All the women in this country should unite and descend on Denver to have our voices heard. This race has been a sham. The media ought to be cut off at the knees. If I can't vote for Hillary, I will vote McCain. We cannot allow Obama into the White House.

May 19, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  5. Dominique

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

May 19, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  6. Griff

Vote for the Winner Lady.... John McCain...

May 19, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  7. Dem

Do not vote for Obama. We do not need your vote.
    This goes to all Clinton supporters.

May 19, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  8. german

ferraro who? ? ?

May 19, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  9. Wayne

Point well taken, Ms.

But you are spiteful!

May 19, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  10. Ron R

Who Cares...the woman is off her rocker!

May 19, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  11. Dawn

bitter old woman

May 19, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  12. JPK

Ferraro for VP!!!!!!!!!

May 19, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  13. Freida NYC

I'm with you Geraldine, and I will not be voting for him either. Obama is a "sexist" just like Chris Matthew, Keith Obermann, and the rest of the Obamaniacs in MSNBC AKA Obama's news network.

Hillary R. Clinton will be our next president. Just wait and see!

May 19, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  14. Steve Gilbert

So what? I have about as much clout as this lady does.

I love how both sides claim the other is sexist/racist respectively. Way to go Democrats!

McCain 08 baby!

May 19, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  15. franco

Hello American people!

I will not vote for Obama either if he gets the nomination.

I am not White. I am not a woman. I am just an American Citizen.

I will vote for the Fighter Lady or the American Hero!

God Bless America!!!

May 19, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  16. Sam

If anyone knows why Obama was chosen as a token, it is she. At least she has the good sense to admit if she were not a woman, she would never have been the VP candidate. Now what's all this talk about another minority for Obams's VP?

May 19, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  17. CALL ME SWEETIE ANYTIME

WHO CARES YOU OLD NANNY GOAT!

May 19, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  18. Suziku

She's a fool, a racist, sexist fool!

May 19, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  19. Hilda

Bitter old lady, who cares. Go vote for your twin brother John McCain, then CNN can ask does anyone care who Old Geraldine voted for. CNN AGAIN WHY IS THIS NEWS. WHO CARES WHAT THIS OUT OF TOUCH BIGOTED OLD WOMAN THINKS WHY IS IT WORTHY OF BEING ON YOUR POLITICAL TICKER?????

May 19, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  20. Not again

CNN,

Please stop reporting the divisive comments of this pitiful narcissist. It does nothing to help anybody.

May 19, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  21. R Garcia

Thanks lady, thanks for contributing to the divide because you'd rather be a sore loser, and see our country go down in flames, then vote with the party you belong to. With many of these Clinton supporters acting like children, threatening to vote MCcain, do it, we will still win. We don't want people who can't see a phony when its clearly painted in front of them, in our party regardless. Her comments did have racial undertones, and Hillary needs to address this old hag, because she just wants the spotlight, just like Rev. Wright.

May 19, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  22. RickytheGriff

Let Ferraro vote for McCain.

And when your children are dying in pointless wars all around the world, gas is $10.00 a gallon, and you can't afford to pay your heating bills.... you'll at least know who to blame.

May 19, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  23. Robin

I don't understand why she does let it go. November will come and if the Democratic party still cries about these kind of chilish issues, then we will have another 4 years of Bush-McCain. Which one is more important? Playing with one wrong commnet or having 4 more years of what we had in the past 7-8 years?

May 19, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  24. James

Hate to say it, but she is right. If this was a job interview, not only would Obama not get the job, he wouldn't have the resume to even get the interview.

Really, what has this guy done in 3 plus years in the senate to get the interview? Anyone? (crikets chirping...)

May 19, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  25. judy hinz

I will not vote for him either this will be the first time in forty seven years ,I wont be voting at all.

May 19, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |