May 19th, 2008

Ferraro suggests she may not vote for Obama

Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.
Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.

(CNN) - Geraldine Ferraro, the outspoken former Democratic vice presidential candidate and a supporter of Hillary Clinton's White House bid, told the New York Times she may not vote for Barack Obama should he be the party's nominee.

Ferraro, a former member of Clinton's finance committee who resigned that post earlier this year after making comments many viewed as racially offensive, also said she thinks the Illinois senator has been "terribly sexist" over the course of the presidential campaign.

The comments appear to underscore the potential difficulty Obama may have courting some women voters in the fall - many of whom have said they feel a solidarity with the New York senator over the barriers Clinton faces in her bid to become the first female president.

Ferraro has not shied away from discussing the impact of race and gender throughout the Democratic presidential campaign. In March, the former congresswoman told a California newspaper the chief reason Obama's candidacy was successful was because he was black.

"If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position," she told The Daily Breeze. "And if he was a woman, he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept."

Ferraro also said Clinton had been the victim of a "sexist media."

Obama later called those comments "ridiculous," and Clinton said she disagreed with them.

Ferraro maintained her comments were not racist, but ultimately resigned from the Clinton campaign after they caused an uproar.

"The Obama campaign is attacking me to hurt you. I won't let that happen," she wrote in her resignation letter to Clinton, adding, "I am who I am and I will continue to speak up."

soundoff (1,092 Responses)
  1. who cares

well, atleast she's out of the closet , there are alot of people who say they will vote for him and then is a different story at the polls, listen up Ameriva, a vote for obama is a vote to turn things that have been wrong all alonf, vote hillary and get the same old wahington BS!

May 19, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  2. JD-NC

Good for her. Now no one can attack big mouth Michelle Obama-she is off limits...when she opened her big mouth-he lost my vote. But, his camp can torture this woman. He is the mafia and he will go down hard, it will be sooner than later.

May 19, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  3. Anonymous

My Grandmother use to say "don't cut off your nose to spite your face" which is exactly what any good Democrat would be doin by acting like this. I am an Obama supporter but I will vote for Hillary if that is how it turns out. Don't get me wrong I don't like her I don't think she is the best choice, but I'm also not stupid enough to vote for John McCain. Unless you like the way things are in this country and the direction they are head go ahead and act like a 2 year old and stomp your feet, if we're not going to play the game your way then your not going to play at all. We all need to put our personal feelings aside and do what is best for everyone and that does not include putting John McCain in the White House.

May 19, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  4. Franky, New York, NY

I love Geraldine and am glad she's sticking to her initial inclinations. She's absolutely correct!

May 19, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  5. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Who cares, nobody is twisting her arm to do anything. Ferrara's time has come and gone so don't let the door knob hit you in the you know what. She probably won't vote for Hillary either after all that's who ended her design on a V.P. position under Hillary. Hillary was probably glad to get rid of her because she had no real value on her campaign.

6. wwf

Like I said before. I did not realize how many stupid people there were until I started reading the posts. Now I know. Thank you. Obama will win the general election. Why? Because there are enough democrats, independents and some republicans who are fed up with the way things are and are willing to vote for a chance at change. They will do this because if they don't, they know that nothing will change, except prices will keep going up. They know that if they don't, more of our young men and women will be put in harms way. They know that the children of the future will be paying more and more for the war. They know that more Americans will loose their jobs to NAFTA. They know that many of our young men and women's lives will be changed forever because of having to go to Iraq for a second or third or fourth time. How would those of you who don't serve like to be gone from you family for a whole year? Not once, but more than once. They know that now is the time to do something. They know, that while the rest of you sit and wallow in your immature, spoiled, pouting,sore losing hatred that they will be trying to save a country instead of trying to destroy it out of spite like some of you.
    An American citizen

7. Kathy Corey

Good for you...Geraldine.

It is about time that Obama and his camp found out that there is a price to pay for their behaviour. For months we have been told by Obama supporters that they don't need us. They seem to believe that Obama can get elected with kids, latte drinkers and African Americans.

True Democrats do not supress anyone's vote. The Obama party is not the Democratic party that I've been a part of for 40 years.

It is time to look elsewhere.

8. Mary

To fair and straight....Black men had the right to vote before women did.

9. derrick

what a ridiculously irresponsible thing to say

10. Rave

That's why you were tagged as a racist first and then a democrat.
    So here you are again.

11. NoMcSame

Boo Hoo Hoo. I think we have enough votes to cover for you. Can anyone say wrinkled up old prune face. You days are done and we don't need you at all.

12. young, gifted and black

I don't understand why so many Democrats are saying that they would rather vote for McCain or not have a voice at all by not voting if Obama is the nominee which he will be most likely. I understand your loyalty to the Clintons but you must THINK beyond that. You must think what would be better for not only you but for other Americans. McCain will continue the failed politics of the Bush administration which would not benefit anyone. Well maybe this lady isn't affected by the economic crisis and she doesn't have a loved one in Iraq and she doesn't mind spending $5.00 a gallon for gas but for the rest of us these things do matter. I am a 22 year old, Vanderbilt graduate and while I have only been following politics recently, it is OBVIOUS that we need a REAL CHANGE in this continue and between Obama and McCain, Obama is the ONLY person capable of bringing about that change. So PLEASE, PLEASE Clinton supporters put aside your anger and your bruised ego and support Obama for a better tomorrow... despite what some Obama supporters may say, WE DO NEED YOUR VOTES!!! So please, LET'S UNITE!!

DEMOCRATS UNITED FOR OBAMA 08

13. king from toronto

question??obama record crowd,75,000,also he was up 11 points in the gallup poll,which was'nt mention at all.why is hillary and this woman at the top of the ticket???

14. Wygenia

It really doesn't matter if she votes for him or not I don't think her one vote will make or break Obama. I think she is bitter!

15. The Truth

Who really cares what this racist bigot has to say. We do not want any of the racists that support Hillary in our party. They are just voting against Obama because he is an intelligent man of color.

She needs to crawl back into her crypt, sit down and shut up!

All the respectful Hillary supporters you are welcomed to help us defeat McBush in Nov.

OBAMA: THE NEXT PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES!!!!!!!

16. Adam

I doubt I have heard a more idiotic comment than "If I can't vote for Hillary I will vote for McCain or not vote". Forget the fact that McCain essentially has completely opposite views of Hillary, and that although they have different plans, Hillary and Barack think the same thing. The way I see it, if you won't vote for Obama because Clinton isn't the nominee, you never cared about the actual issues and you shouldn't even be allowed to vote anyways.

17. Rich

Sad to see someone decline like this in the media spotlight, to what end is she playing this hand out. Playing the victim doesn't change anything but proclaim you as the victim. She has a right to not vote for Obama just like I had the right to vote for him over what I see are faults in Clinton. Best of luck to you Jeraldine.

18. Ted R.

This is typical of Hillary's supporters – when the game doesn't go your way, take your ball and go home.

19. Anita - AZ

Thats what happens when you whip Clinton supporters up into a frenzy. Obama hasnt dont anything wrong, but you spin it out of control. Do you know anything about Unity and togetherness? All your reasons for dividing the party are totally selfish and wrong. Even Clinton herself said we have to unite the party or her supporters are NOT LISTENING. What is wrong with you people.

20. Jimbo

No surprise here. She's a FEMINAZI! Them folks don't like men!!!

21. BHO Not my candidate

Sorta funny, the last great womens right supporter in our country was....... NIXON... grow up

22. Jack Walden

So?

23. PT

Who cares what Ferraro does or doesn't do. She seeks the news media they do not look for her She's that unimportant..

24. Linned

Lisa, do you thang, but I'm sure if Senator Clinton loses the nomination that you will vote for Senator Obama.

25. Jim

I'm with you on this one Geraldine! I'm so proud of you for speaking out and standing up for yourself. Even the Obama race card didn't send you running in to a hole and I'm proud of you for that. I don't want to spend the next four years apologizing for slavery and every other wrong committed against black people. I'm a Hillary supporter who will be voting Republican for the first time in November and I have to problem doing so. Obama can't win without Clinton supporters so I'm asking all of us to unite against Obama. I know Hillary has to play the political game once it's all over and make ammends, but we don't. Lets send a message to the hateful and left wing Obama supporters that they will never control the Democratic party.