May 19th, 2008

Ferraro suggests she may not vote for Obama

Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.
Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.

(CNN) - Geraldine Ferraro, the outspoken former Democratic vice presidential candidate and a supporter of Hillary Clinton's White House bid, told the New York Times she may not vote for Barack Obama should he be the party's nominee.

Ferraro, a former member of Clinton's finance committee who resigned that post earlier this year after making comments many viewed as racially offensive, also said she thinks the Illinois senator has been "terribly sexist" over the course of the presidential campaign.

The comments appear to underscore the potential difficulty Obama may have courting some women voters in the fall - many of whom have said they feel a solidarity with the New York senator over the barriers Clinton faces in her bid to become the first female president.

Ferraro has not shied away from discussing the impact of race and gender throughout the Democratic presidential campaign. In March, the former congresswoman told a California newspaper the chief reason Obama's candidacy was successful was because he was black.

"If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position," she told The Daily Breeze. "And if he was a woman, he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept."

Ferraro also said Clinton had been the victim of a "sexist media."

Obama later called those comments "ridiculous," and Clinton said she disagreed with them.

Ferraro maintained her comments were not racist, but ultimately resigned from the Clinton campaign after they caused an uproar.

"The Obama campaign is attacking me to hurt you. I won't let that happen," she wrote in her resignation letter to Clinton, adding, "I am who I am and I will continue to speak up."

soundoff (1,092 Responses)
  1. Bud

Go have another drink, you washed-up hag. Your fifteen minutes are sooooooo over.

2. Bushwhacked in Eugene, OR

Write in Hillary in November and say hello to President McCain.

3. Sweetie

I talk with IT Managers nationwide everyday (about 15 actual conversations a day).

Lately as soon as I say "How you today?"

I receive a reply that includes the economic Pain they are in.

For the past two weeks this has been followed up with "And Obama isn't going to be able to do anything about it".

I'll keep the more colorful comments to myself.

But believe me when I say Obama is seen as weak and unable to bring about change.

I will never know how things would resonate if Hillary was the presumptive candidate.

But from my window on the world Obama isn't a viable candidate.

4. Jim

YES!!!! LET THE DNC KNOW THAT AN ENORMOUS NUMBER OF DEMOCRATS DO NO FEEL OBAMA WOULD MAKE A GOOD PRESIDENT AND ARE CONVINCED THAT HE COULD NOT EVEN WIN IN NOVEMBER.

Superdelegates WAKE UP NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. JuanGuapo

Hilary had my vote when she announced she was running. At the time, I liked ALL of the candidates, but was soured on Obama after the Imus controversy–not because I liked what Imus said, but because I didn't like how Obama slammed someone he didn't even know that WAS IN FACT SUPPORTING HIM. Makes me sick.

Anyway, I'm an independent and I'm voting for Hillary–if she's not the nominee, then that's one less thing I need to do in November [is vote]. I can't vote for McCain but would like to if he wasn't so strong on the war. I just don't like Obama, sorry, he's not my cup of tea.

6. shelly

Is Ferraro's vote necessary for Obama to win the presidency.............NO!!

7. rw in ct

Geraldine,
    You are not alone....there are many of us silently waiting for Nov.

8. sam

That shows her true colors and those who do not want to vote for Obama. Racist and not worth to be called Democrats. Their allegance is to the Clintons not to the Democratic party or to the American Democratic process. What a waste.

9. HAHA

sexist? I'm a women who is PROUDLY voting for Obama...

you people voting for McCain instead... I hope you get drafted! LOL

10. katie

ferraro needs an eye job, a zoloft, and an attitude adjustment.

I cannot believe the sense of entitlement from older white women so sure of their decision to not vote for Obama.

You really need to think harder. Get over yourselves a bit and do the right thing for America.

Obama is not a sexist...anymore than Bush is a Genius!

11. V4OBAMA

Is it just me, or does Geraldine Ferraro look like an old man with breasts?

Should be Gerald Ferraro.

Who is the hot mess-tranny anyway?

12. mmartin arkansaw

every time one of these ninnys spouts off their racial and sexist slurs,i donate another $100,to obama's campaign.i'm going broke ,quick!oh,well, my stimulus check will be here,soon.

13. Jim W. California

But it is OK for Rev. Wrong to say what he says. NObama in 08'

14. Mama for Obama

Wow–she doesn't quit, does she? Is it a wonder she herself did not get elected?

More proof that the Democratic Party has some fixing to do. No doubt Clinton put her up to this. At least you won't see the Clinton's doing anything about it.

May 19, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  15. Sally in Dallas

Jill American – do you really believe that it is harder being a white woman than being a black man in America? Give me a break...you're just racist.

May 19, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  16. Uncle Sam

First Lieberman, now Ferraro for Sen. McCain.

Americans United for McCain '08

May 19, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  17. obama -- NEVER.

OBAMA is being forced down our throats. dnc was banking that because he might be the last democrat standing we would be partisan and take what we got..... NOT SO FAST. We are Americans before we are democrats, and what's best for this country is not someone who has proven beyond a doubt he is not ready or prepared or even capable of leading this country.

some point to his eduation – – well we have millions of educated people but they are not qualified to be president , and i have my doubts that whatever obama might have learned previously has been sadly damaged by his postCollege cocaine usage.

with all his money, the endorsements and allthe superdelegates behind him, WHY IS SHE STILL STANDING? ask yourself that? If Clinton hd been given a fair shot at this obama would be history.

Edwards did his little pre-week dance to all hte talk shows applauding Clinton in an effort to get HRC'S VOTERS ON HIS SIDE so when he announced for obama this love would transfer to votes for obama.......IT WAS A NASTY HURTFUL AND SPITEFUL THING JOHN DID, despite his serving it up with a smile. Why now? he waited this long so why did he do it now? he clams, "america has spoken." Not so. by endorsing obama he automatically sent some of his delegates to the side of obama and presented obama as the already decided victor. THAT WAS WRONG AND A HURTFUL THING TO DO.... a judas-act. for these reasons and obama's lackiing in particular we will give our vote to JOHN MCCAIN..... even if HRC on VP ticket, we will not vote for OBAMA. Let this be a lesson to DNC WHO POSTURED FLORIDA, MI, UNTIL IT PLAYED TO OBAMA'S FAVOR AND all the media that treated HRC unfairly. YOU WILL NOT force us into corner.

May 19, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  18. Don S

Obama has ran a sexist and racist campaign. He will not
    get my Democratic vote this November. Obama's "the end justifies the means" campaign will haunt him. He will lose because of who he trampled on in the primary.

May 19, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  19. Linda in Va

Our country is very split with this democratic nomination. The shame of it is another McBush term and turmoil for this country.

Hillary 2008

May 19, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  20. Banko

Ferraro the bigot. Ferraro the loser. Once a loser, always a loser.

May 19, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  21. Wayne, Greenville TX

Do us all a favor, Geraldine, and shut your piehole. You've done enough damage already this primary season.....

May 19, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  22. FAYE COLEMAN

WHO CARES , YOU CAN BET THERE WILL NOT BE ANY TEARS LOST IF SHE DON'T VOTE FOR SEN. OBAMA BECAUSE SHE HAS ONLY ONE VOTE THAT WILL COUNT. GO OBAMA 2008 YES WE CAN.

May 19, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  23. David

mrs Ferraro,
    I am not sure what your intentions are but we are in a new chapter, new generation where race, sex or place of origin are not as devisive as they were 25 years ago.
    Mr Obama, represents this new reality. God Bless America and and our next president, Mr Barak Obama.

May 19, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  24. An Independant

Interesting read, so if Obama is only there because he's black, then isn't it just as true that Clinton is only there because she is white?

I see so many comments saying they won't support Obama because he's anti womans rights – interesting, what do you base this on? I mean if you don't like the guy because he's pretty new to politics and has not run a state or anything then I'm OK with that, but to say he does not support women – wow that's a strech.

If you are a democrat, voting for McCain makes no sense so don't call yourself a democrat that's stupid. If you're an independant, then I think you should vote for whoever you want, but writing in a candidate is throwing away your vote. Just please if you do write in Hillary, don't waste our time complaining about whoever wins not meeting your ideal – afterall you didn't care enough or have the courage to make a choice!

May 19, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  25. David Ferdinand/New York

One thing i'm so proud of the obama campaign is they never used race as a empathy point.
    Hillary and her crew are always saying "women" are better" and women this and women that, and then start sheding tears and whinning like pathetic submissives.
    Hillary supporters have no concrete reason to support hillary other than their feminist agenda.
    PS