May 19th, 2008

Ferraro suggests she may not vote for Obama

Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.
Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.

(CNN) - Geraldine Ferraro, the outspoken former Democratic vice presidential candidate and a supporter of Hillary Clinton's White House bid, told the New York Times she may not vote for Barack Obama should he be the party's nominee.

Ferraro, a former member of Clinton's finance committee who resigned that post earlier this year after making comments many viewed as racially offensive, also said she thinks the Illinois senator has been "terribly sexist" over the course of the presidential campaign.

The comments appear to underscore the potential difficulty Obama may have courting some women voters in the fall - many of whom have said they feel a solidarity with the New York senator over the barriers Clinton faces in her bid to become the first female president.

Ferraro has not shied away from discussing the impact of race and gender throughout the Democratic presidential campaign. In March, the former congresswoman told a California newspaper the chief reason Obama's candidacy was successful was because he was black.

"If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position," she told The Daily Breeze. "And if he was a woman, he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept."

Ferraro also said Clinton had been the victim of a "sexist media."

Obama later called those comments "ridiculous," and Clinton said she disagreed with them.

Ferraro maintained her comments were not racist, but ultimately resigned from the Clinton campaign after they caused an uproar.

"The Obama campaign is attacking me to hurt you. I won't let that happen," she wrote in her resignation letter to Clinton, adding, "I am who I am and I will continue to speak up."

soundoff (1,092 Responses)
  1. Darren

Randi Rhodes said it best.

May 19, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  2. Dj

Happy 73rd birthday to El' Malik El Shabazz!

May 19, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  3. Sharon

Wonder how Geraldine would have felt if I had told her I would not vote for her because she was a woman? It works both ways and personally her bigotry makes me ill.

May 19, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  4. PR

I agree. I will absolutely NOT vote for Obama. What a rip off the media and DNC have tried to pull off. It's gonna backfire.

1. Hillary
    2. McCain

May 19, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  5. Thomas

These so called hillary supporters that claim they will vote for McCain seem to forget McCain has his own set of problems far worse than Obama, and if you want a supreme court packed with conservative judges who will overturn Roe V. Wade... then McCain is your guy. This isn't just to scare people it will actually happen.

May 19, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  6. Clara

I won't vote for him either-he's a wolf in sheep's clothing!

May 19, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  7. Dan,Louisiana

I dont remember her.......she dosent count more than 1 vote just like me. Or does she??????????

Somebody tell her to go take her medicine.

May 19, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  8. Judy, South Carolina

That is expected anway. One less vote to count. If you were a Hillary fan then I knew she wasn't telling the truth as usual.

May 19, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  9. bhaskar

Oh I forgot Chuck Todd was also very fair

May 19, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  10. RE: MARIE IN OHIO

Name one time when Barack said something sexist towards Hillary...

Name one time when he implied her gender was a problem the same way Hillary did openly with her interview with USA Today....

Name one time when Barack said that Hillary is unelectable....

Name one time when Barack said Hillary CAN'T win...

Everytime I ask these questions I NEVER get an answer, because there isn't one.
    Hillary lost far and square, and now she has her goons out here crying and whinning yelling Barack was sexist.
    When Ferraro made her stupid comment, Barack didn't even call her racist... he called it ridiculous... but didn't say she was racist.

Barack has been very gracious with Hillary and she takes it for granted.
    She doesn't deserve to be president.

May 19, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  11. M Philllips

Given her own record ( failure)and her previous racially divisive comments , I think her not voting for Obama might be the best thing for all concerned: give the Republicans all the advantages you can, Geraldine. Now the media can focus fully on her idiocy. The queen of rants does Mrs Clinton no favors ,either.

May 19, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  12. Ding

Oh go away ferraro..who cares??
    Sexism?
    Please somebody please tell me one occasion barack played gender card! Like women can't win or like you need a MAN in the whitehouse...or like well..anything!
    Please somebody!!
    I've seen plenty of sexism of hillary

May 19, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  13. Sorry

I feel so sorry for America. If the person we voted for don"t win we will vote for the other party. Look at John McCain my fellow American he is the carbon copy of George Bush. Think what the wonderful American that have died for this Country in this war would say 4000+ and still dying. We are so busy being ugly to each other saying some very horrible things. If I did not know better I would not believe we were all American. This country I thought was built on more than this. Wake up the one's that are truly American and let's bring the country together. Let's not be sore loser because who we voted for in the Democratic Party didn't win. Let's get behind the person that is nominated and make America a place we can leave our children and our grandchildren.

God Bless All True Amercian!!!

May 19, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  14. uc

Ferraro is a feiry tale woman. What she needs is to remove her pride and join thewinning boat. She is trying to play and stly of race card. Bull......Shi.............................

May 19, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  15. Zion

Feminism is just a synonym for white women only. It is amazing how Ferrarro like other feminists wants everyone to recognize bigotry against women, but they refuse to recognize bigotry against blacks. Boo...Hoo.

May 19, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  16. Shelly Lee

I keep saying the same thing, don't underestimate Clinton supporters. We are not voting for Obama, that plain and simple.
    The only way he has a chance is if she is on the ticket with him. Otherwise we are voting for McCain.............Republican for the first time in our lives. Ferro is honest that's all, she voices the opinion of many, especially us folks here in Michigan who already voted for Hillary.

May 19, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  17. Laura PA

WHO CARES!!!!!!! Why is this even news??????

May 19, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  18. Texans for Obama

Who cares?! She's an idiot.

May 19, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  19. Filipina

I hate fox channel

May 19, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  20. Keith

Those of you that say you will not vote for Obama, including Ferraro need to grow up. Being a sore loser is not going to help this country. If you are going to put your bitterness in front of this country, you are only doing yourself and this country a disservice. It is time for all Democrats to unite under one roof and fight against a third term of GWB. Stop thinking about yourselves for once and think about the big picture. You are only hurting yourself if you choose not to vote for the nominee. You are acting like a child in a school yard, "I'm taking my vote and I'm going home" That is how you sound, with your child like actions, not voting for Obama. Ferraro, listen to yourself, how old are you? Give me a break!

May 19, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  21. from CT

Some of you Hillary supporters (not most of you, but some of you) downright disgust me.

May 19, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  22. Rich G

Go ahead, vote for McCain...and watch his Supreme Court nominees flip Roe v. Wade so fast. Yeah, what a great plus for women that would be.

May 19, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  23. matt

She like many people voting for clinton want somoene with experience, and knowledge..

Obama lacks in both of these

May 19, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  24. Sylvia

I will NEVER vote Obama, he is DANGEROUS to our country!!!!

May 19, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  25. maya

Imagine if Hilary said, "Hold on a second, BOY" to a male reporter-esp if he was AA? Roland Martin, Sharpton, Jesse- they would be all marching to have her thrown out- literally.

And based upon the sexist comments towards Geraldine in this thread- Obamabots are still missing the boat. Can you not disagree with a woman without calling her sexist names? And then have the cheek to call us racist?!

Barack- I am NOT your sweetie.

Hillary 2008