May 19th, 2008

Ferraro suggests she may not vote for Obama

Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.
Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.

(CNN) - Geraldine Ferraro, the outspoken former Democratic vice presidential candidate and a supporter of Hillary Clinton's White House bid, told the New York Times she may not vote for Barack Obama should he be the party's nominee.

Ferraro, a former member of Clinton's finance committee who resigned that post earlier this year after making comments many viewed as racially offensive, also said she thinks the Illinois senator has been "terribly sexist" over the course of the presidential campaign.

The comments appear to underscore the potential difficulty Obama may have courting some women voters in the fall - many of whom have said they feel a solidarity with the New York senator over the barriers Clinton faces in her bid to become the first female president.

Ferraro has not shied away from discussing the impact of race and gender throughout the Democratic presidential campaign. In March, the former congresswoman told a California newspaper the chief reason Obama's candidacy was successful was because he was black.

"If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position," she told The Daily Breeze. "And if he was a woman, he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept."

Ferraro also said Clinton had been the victim of a "sexist media."

Obama later called those comments "ridiculous," and Clinton said she disagreed with them.

Ferraro maintained her comments were not racist, but ultimately resigned from the Clinton campaign after they caused an uproar.

"The Obama campaign is attacking me to hurt you. I won't let that happen," she wrote in her resignation letter to Clinton, adding, "I am who I am and I will continue to speak up."

soundoff (1,092 Responses)
  1. michael tampa

All of you idiots who say they will vote for McCain if Hillary is not the nominee are examples of the dumbing down of America!

This race is about issues and you had better think long and hard about McCain. Since when has the republican party cared about women's rights... thats right a real issue.
    Fortunately for me, i am well off, however for the average american, stop and think what 4 more years of bush will mean to you!!1

Get a clue people, this should be about issues, not people.

May 19, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  2. b black

WHITE PEOPLE: PLEASE VOTE FOR MCCAIN, HE WILL CONTINUE THIS WHITEBOY DEATH PARTY!
    MCCAIN 08!

May 19, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  3. Fran

Good for you Geraldine! We need to stick together on this one and send a message to Obama. The Democrats need to realize we can't keep nominating aloof elitist candidates who are so out of touch with everyday working people. I'm a Democrat who will be voting for McCain. I would rather deal with him for four years than Obama. Besides that means we have another shot with Hillary in four years.

Hillary in 2012!

May 19, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  4. Ann Dempsey

I would liket to complemetn Suzanne's Malveaux for her excellent reporting on the primary elections. However, I believe she has misinterpreted Hillary Clinton's correct use of the subjunctive in this statement: Clinton "If I were President..." is not a past tense, but the subjunctive form of the verb to indicate a condition contrary to face. Clinton is not the preseident, and so the verb form is correct.

May 19, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  5. Sarah L., Fayetteville, AR

That's smart. Vote for the guy who wants to overtune Roe v. Wade. That'll do a lot for women's rights. What a moron.

May 19, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  6. smith

you hillary supportters u better be wit obama if u dont help us put obama in da wh hillary should just forget about the white house else cuz she got plans to run at 2012 so terraro we know italians are racist but better be nice if you reay want hill in the wh 2012

May 19, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  7. truthurts

Who cares about this racist? It is clear she is a radical feminist.
    She said the same thing about Jesse Jackson in 1984...
    "if he wasn't black he wouldn't be here"

24 years and she is saying the same thing?

May 19, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  8. This is America!

She will not be the only Democrat. I am sick and tired of being called a racist because I support a white candidate.

9. William

Go Gerry, I'm with you and won't vote for him either. Former lifelong Democrat for Hillary or McCain!

10. Debi

All the comments are really stupid! They must be coming in from new voters who think they know it all. The running mates are all bad to choose from, and "F" was right. Now, if it was C. Rice or C. Powell, yes vote, they do have experience and know what they are talking about, but this election is a joke. It is one color against the other, etc., etc.. Let's have more choices on the ballet instead of 3.

11. MsAnnette, Little Rock, AR

This woman sounds very bitter and angry. I haven't seen or heard Obama being sexist at all. Can someone please tell me what he has done? I think Geraldine has a problem with men in general, especially this black man who may become the president of the USA. She was sure a female candidate would win, so now that her bubble has burst, she is declaring she won't vote for a fellow democrat...SAD!
    You would think an "elder" member of the party would demonstrate a more positive message for the party, but oh well.....

I wish people would stop blaming Obama for everything they can and just be honest and admit they won't vote for him because of his race. I can accept that better than all of the other "excuses" they come up with.

12. a matter of fairness

can we all agree to be plain honest for a minute despite your candidate of choice.

where would Clinton be in this campaign if the Media treated her the way they treated obama?

13. G in Dover, NH

I hope to God people do not see Ferraro as representing feminist views. This woman is setting things back 50 years, espousing the very gender-biased views so many people have worked so hard to stop.

With true diversity in the running, many different groups of people will not win. That's just how it is. But with much diversity in every candidate, in the end, we all win.

But if we vote or don't vote simply out of spite that our figure head didn't win, we all lose.

If you support Hillary on issues, and truly believe in those issues, Barack is far more a champion of those issues than McCain – even Hillary has said so.

If you support Hillary because she's a woman or you simply want a woman president, "it's our turn," etc., then you discredit all the work Hillary and other powerful women have done.

14. Terry

i won't vote for Obama either. i will vote for McCain or write in a name. Obama has too many scandals brewing and he is the least competent of the candidates to take on the job of president.

15. brad

You maybe right about Obama's being aftrican american may have gotten him more exposure because of it. I don't know. I can tell you as a white 40 yr old male, I didn't think much of it tell Bill bringing it up before the SC primary. The fact you think about it is not good. You should reevalute your thinking process. This shouldn't be about race or gender. It is about laying down a new foundation that Bush has crumbled. Going to take a long time to fix. More than one term.

16. Viet Nam Vet

Geraldine Ferraro!!!
    Are you relevant? Nobody hears from you in years, Crawl back in your hole and dream about '84. Geez!!!!!!!

17. Olander

She is pathetic. And just think of the number of African Americans that voted for her when she ran for VP. This country really have some human relation problems.

18. Craig

This women should be quite and shut up.
    She has no idea what she is talking about.
    OPEN your mind idot...

19. CaliPeach

As an African American Women, I do not feel Hillary Clinton works in my best interest. All you who say if she is not the nominee you won't vote or will vote for McCain. Well there Are millions of African American who feel the same if Hillary was to become the nominee. But everyone is failing to think about the fact that if Hillary was the nominee, she too would need about 90% of the African American vote to win the General Election, and that she does not and will not have.

OBAMA 08 (Face the Facts) The writings are scattered all over the wall!

20. kelly

I'm a Clinton supporter who will not cut off my nose dispite my face!

Geraldine is a "bitter" old shameful women!

"Shame on you Geraldine!" Go join Liberman! Seems like Dem VP failures always want to blame the party!

This Clinton supporter who iS A Democrate, will vote Obama if he is the nomonee!

21. Roger

Welcome back Ferrero! It is so good to see you again! Keep on talking. I don't blame you for not voting for Obama if he is not the nominee. After Obama has played race card on you and Bill Clinton, I won't be voting for Obama either. I'll write in Hillary.

We do need to make this publicly known that Hillary supporters can still write in Hillary Clinton in November.

22. Eddie

All I can say is bitter,hateful,and stupid woman is farraro.

23. Priscilla for Obama

Geraldine is not dedicated to the Democratic party. She is dedicated to her own cause. Go away Geraldine, who needs you?

May 19, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  24. AZM

King of Toranto...
    "All this not voting for obama is coming from rebublicans"

Interesting... I wasn't aware Geraldine Ferraro was a Republican...

No Bama No Way

May 19, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  25. Trish - PA

Wow what a jerk! What a horrible jerk! How can she possibly call herself a democrat, a super delegate even, if she won't vote for the democratic nominee in November! Wow! What a horrid human being. I hope the democratic party kicks her out. I bet the Clintons either bribed her or paid her off. Wow!

May 19, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |