May 19th, 2008

Ferraro suggests she may not vote for Obama

Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.
Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.

(CNN) - Geraldine Ferraro, the outspoken former Democratic vice presidential candidate and a supporter of Hillary Clinton's White House bid, told the New York Times she may not vote for Barack Obama should he be the party's nominee.

Ferraro, a former member of Clinton's finance committee who resigned that post earlier this year after making comments many viewed as racially offensive, also said she thinks the Illinois senator has been "terribly sexist" over the course of the presidential campaign.

The comments appear to underscore the potential difficulty Obama may have courting some women voters in the fall - many of whom have said they feel a solidarity with the New York senator over the barriers Clinton faces in her bid to become the first female president.

Ferraro has not shied away from discussing the impact of race and gender throughout the Democratic presidential campaign. In March, the former congresswoman told a California newspaper the chief reason Obama's candidacy was successful was because he was black.

"If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position," she told The Daily Breeze. "And if he was a woman, he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept."

Ferraro also said Clinton had been the victim of a "sexist media."

Obama later called those comments "ridiculous," and Clinton said she disagreed with them.

Ferraro maintained her comments were not racist, but ultimately resigned from the Clinton campaign after they caused an uproar.

"The Obama campaign is attacking me to hurt you. I won't let that happen," she wrote in her resignation letter to Clinton, adding, "I am who I am and I will continue to speak up."

soundoff (1,092 Responses)
  1. Brian

Listen SWEETIE, nobody cares what you think? Get over yourself.

May 19, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  2. Tracy

Amen.

May 19, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  3. Dan

It would be great if CNN reported the entire story when rehashing old news. In the same speech that you quoted, Ferraro also stated she would not have been the VP nominee if she were a man. In that context the statement was obviously not racist or sexist, but merely an astute observation. We need our news agencies to report the whole truth. For the sake of our democratic system, please stop trying to improve ratings by stirring up fake controversy.

May 19, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  4. Scott

"If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position,"

Is she even vaguely aware that were she a white man she wouldnt be in her position either???

May 19, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  5. Relle Boston

For all you guys that say you will not vote for Barack were not going to vote for him in the first place. No one can say that Barack has done anything or lied. Hillary has high negatives and people are voting based on her Husband who we see had allot to do with Nafta and the three strikes law and so many other policies that hurt us as democrats. I trust barack I do not trust Hillary. People seem to not want what is best for them. Why is a person who has devided the party and lied to its people as a president.
    It is about time that we as Americans wake up. You voted for Bush based on the same ideals and know look. They lied to us. Lets give barack a chance as he seems to be the only person working for us.

May 19, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  6. Angela Frazier

So... it's not like she was going to vote for him in the first place! I don't even think she wanted Clinton to win. If she couldn't make history as the first woman to hold either a presidential or VP spot, she didn't want Hillary of all people to do it! Like Bill, I believe she has underlying issues and really wanted to sabotage the campaign. She is the one who is "BITTER"!

May 19, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  7. JohnLee

Hello news media – what part of this don't you understand? This is not news!

May 19, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  8. Roger

She is a flamboyant, racist witch. Vote for McCain, Geraldine! You have already shown yourself to be a neo fascist anyway.

May 19, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  9. YIKES, DYKE!

HILLAR/FERRARO 08

May 19, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  10. nc

I am not voting for Obama either. I have never voted for a Republican until now. Go ahead make my day! I am a supporter of Hillary & I will not vote for Obama.

May 19, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  11. IAMWMD

Camp Hillary's supporters are definitely sore losers. Black Americans will make history by showing up in record numbers this November only if Obama wins, they will not vote for Hillary since she played the race card. We can do without the divisive Hillary supporters. She lied and she lost, so deal with it.

Trying to get on the ballot in November will not keep her from her Peter Paul court date.

Stop hating on Obama, he's winning fair and square. Continue using Carl Rove's Republican tactics with the sexiet crap, it's not gonna work.

May 19, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  12. Concerned Democrat

As someone stated earlier "I have had to vote for Presidents I wasnt in love with in every election but now you feel thats beneath you. Welcome to the world of African Americans for a change."

I agree with this sentiment 100%.

13. carolyn

Well she's not alone on that, I won't vote for him either, I will write in hillary or vote other

14. Brady

Obama is a feminist on every issue that matters...and if anyone has had help achieving their political career, I would say the last name "Clinton" has to be a pretty big bonus...

15. Gilbert from Los Angeles

It's very sad, that FERRARO, is a racist & bitter towards "color".
    I do NOT, believe that Obama is "sexist", he also happens to
    love his WIfe. Yes, I am a Conservative, I do not believe that we
    should judge "Color". LOVE all..........People......Respect.......
    I am very happy that FERRARO, left the party group. Although
    I hope she learns to love all color, GOD wants us to LOVE all.
    I am also a McCain supporter, all the way. ALTHOUGH I really
    do believe that if, it is not McCain, then let it be "OBAMA" '08

16. Dr. Sam

Who needs Geraldine Ferraro? Who? She represents the type of old politician that Obama is campaigning against–combative, divisive, always gutter-sniping, and never positive!

17. ral-OH

I guess that is her right, but I think she should remember that
    she is where she is today due to the Democratic voters.

I am appaled that her or any other "Clinton" supporter will
    be whiney and cry, and take their votes elsewhere, if Hillary
    isnt served the nomination on a silver platter. It just goes
    to show that some voters think with their hearts instead of
    their brains.

If Barack Obama gets the nomination, I think we all should
    support that notion. I guess time will tell who are the real
    Democrats....

I used to admire Ms. Ferraro, unfortunately, she is now showing
    that she is just another "if I cant have it my way" woman, certainly
    not a good attribute, huh?

- I"m a proud Democrat, who is near retirement, who WILL be
    voting for Barack Obama in the fall.

18. Dick/NH

Please, Geraldine,
    You are setting the Women's Movement back a hundred years by being so divisive...it's women like you that turn the American voter off...FACE FACTS, Geraldine! The winner was just BETTER than your candidate....it has NOTHING to do with RACE or GENDER...it has to DO with a unique view that's like no other...it has to DO with a CHANGE that America NEEDS, not the OLD POLITICS you believe in...it's unfortunate that you have been so vocal, because your voice is a voice OF THE PAST. It's very apparent that YOU are blinded from the truth by your obsession with FEMINISM at any cost....you have put the good of the country on the back burner while you alienate true Americans! PLEASE BE QUIET, GERALDINE....your misguided beliefs no longer matter.

May 19, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  19. Brian from Fort Mill, S.C.

Geraldine Ferarro will be in for a rude awakening when she finds Hillary begging, pleading with Obama to make her his running mate.

Why else is she being so nice all of a sudden? She's trying to kiss and make up with Obama.

If Ferarro doesn't, then that's her problem!

20. Lanny Davis

I guess she wants abortion outlawing judges then. Go have a smoke Gerald.

May 19, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  21. Jim in Calif. (age 63)

How shameful a Democratic party leader would say she would not support the party's candidate, especially in this crucial election!

We all know this has been a historic campaign, and Senators Clinton and Obama represent a new era of hope and change.

My father has beginning Alzheimer's disease and sometimes says stupid and hurtful things. I hope Ms. Ferraro does not have a similar excuse for her tasteless and unproductive comments.

22. Gerald F.

I would agree with her on the sexist attitude. It comes across as such an old boys mentality the way Senator Clinton has been trashed from one end of this election to the other. Are the men worried that Senator Clinton will clean house ( as President) and find the dirty laundry hidden in some back closet?

23. Ferro

Ferro is right on target. All woman should be appauled and offended by the media and the good ole' boys club the way Hillay has been dismissed right from the very beginning of this campaign. As of right now they are virtually ignoring that she is still in the race. Past campaings have gone all the way to conventions to get the nominee, but becuase they were both "male" candidates nothing was thought about it. This race is extremely close and she has every right to have every state vote and to have every state count. He is NOT the mandate. He has also played the race card and is getting the black vote, so all of you can stop caling any white person that does not vote for him a racisit.

We as woman will not shut up – we will be heard in the general election. You will be wishing you had her vote and our votes when the time comes. I will vote for McCain and have no problem doing so. Obama will do nothing to change anything. All you young air heads will find that out that he just the same as anyone else. He took endorsements from old Washington politicians with no problem – so who is he to point the finger at anyone.

If he gets in as President we will be even more sorry than we have been with Bush.

HILLARY FOR PRESIDENT!!!!

24. ELF

She is a bitter old lady. It is her right as an American to vote for whomever she wishes to. She doesn't speak for all, just the ignorant few who refuses to see people for who they are, not the color of their skin.

25. Victoria

What a sore loser! How does that help the Democratic party?