May 19th, 2008

Ferraro suggests she may not vote for Obama

Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.
Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.

(CNN) - Geraldine Ferraro, the outspoken former Democratic vice presidential candidate and a supporter of Hillary Clinton's White House bid, told the New York Times she may not vote for Barack Obama should he be the party's nominee.

Ferraro, a former member of Clinton's finance committee who resigned that post earlier this year after making comments many viewed as racially offensive, also said she thinks the Illinois senator has been "terribly sexist" over the course of the presidential campaign.

The comments appear to underscore the potential difficulty Obama may have courting some women voters in the fall - many of whom have said they feel a solidarity with the New York senator over the barriers Clinton faces in her bid to become the first female president.

Ferraro has not shied away from discussing the impact of race and gender throughout the Democratic presidential campaign. In March, the former congresswoman told a California newspaper the chief reason Obama's candidacy was successful was because he was black.

"If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position," she told The Daily Breeze. "And if he was a woman, he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept."

Ferraro also said Clinton had been the victim of a "sexist media."

Obama later called those comments "ridiculous," and Clinton said she disagreed with them.

Ferraro maintained her comments were not racist, but ultimately resigned from the Clinton campaign after they caused an uproar.

"The Obama campaign is attacking me to hurt you. I won't let that happen," she wrote in her resignation letter to Clinton, adding, "I am who I am and I will continue to speak up."

soundoff (1,092 Responses)
  1. Tim in Canada

She run out of happy pills, btw who let her out?

2. h

Who cares!!!!!!! She's yesterday's news

3. Molly

Hillary Clinton will be the nominee!!!

Obama and Clinton are hardly the "same" – just because they are both DEMS!!!!
    Hillary is QUALIFIED
    Obama is NOT

That is why Hillary supporters will have to vote McCain – he is also qualified! We ARE educated and can see this – we do not follow blindly with all the hype and chants – NO We Won't!

4. boniface

I think her racist comment is true,she is a real racist,sadist,hate....i don't know what more to qualify her,

OBAMA 2008

5. Eddie B.

Ferraro has detailed just how destructive and one-sided she truly is. Her comments have been absolutely polarizing and destructive to both candidates and the Democratic party. I think this goes to the heart of her bitterness about her failed campaign with Mondale. To suggest Barack is where he is because he is black and that he is sexist is outrageous.

6. john

I'm not so concerned about how Ferraro votes, that's just one vote in the end. But I do find disturbing all the comments above from people who feel the way she does. I like Obama because he has consistently appealed to our better angels. The likes of Ferraro have provided a stark contrast by being incredibly divisive. I would gladly vote for a woman president, I just don't like the way Clinton (either one of them) campaigned.

7. Dude

Yeah, women unite. Don't vote for Obama, instead, vote for McCain... who is against the equal-pay-for women bill and will overturn Roe v. Wade.

8. Suz

Re: Roe v Wade. I have lived and voted and fought to get women's rights upheld before most of you pipsqueaks were born. And I will take my chances on a reversal of these rights before I will vote for Obama!!!
    And your "fear" and "threats" are just hot air!! Thank you Gerraldine, for voicing what many long time, dyed-in-the-wool Democrats are feeling. And this is not a threat....it is a Promise...No Obama in the White House.

9. Adam, Los Angeles

It's comments like this that nearly justify sexism. Get over yourself and your V-unity.

10. Nelson, OSLO

All those fools who say they cannot vote for Obama are cruelly racists who are hiding behind the pretext that if Clinton is not the nominee, they will vote for McCain. They are so routed in their racist sentiments and feelings that they are not understanding what is happening.

11. YIKES, DYKE!

BIRDS OF A FEATHER SHOULD FLOCK TOGETHER! HEY I'M HAVING A PARTY HERE ONLY LESBIANS ALLOWED!

12. shirley

Democrates need to unite behind the Democratic candidate, whoever that might be. It's hard for me too if my choice isn't the one I voted for; but please remember the policies of Hillary and Obama are similair and writing in the name of anyone other than the Democratic nominee will give the White House to the Republicans. American cannot afford another 4 years of Bush/McCain policy. Please unite against this.

13. Lisa

Obama = Bush Jr.

First Bush Jr statement – "We have 57 States"
    Second Bush Jr statement – "Mission Accomplished after May 20th
    Third Bush Jr statement " – I don't need to debate i've already debated 20 times.

14. Swalker327

Although I am a Obama fan; I would like to see McCain win and the looks on the faces of all of you bitter old hags when he overturns Roe v. Wade - you are all idiots!!

It's YOUR sons who are getting blown away in Iraq and YOUR rights as a woman that are being threatened by a McCain win - YOU ARE ALL IDIOTS!!

15. True Dem

you Democrats out there threatening to go McCain were probably not Democrats to begin with. Way to show support to our party losers. I'll remember to blame you when the Iraq war carries on until 2013 and the only people getting by in the country are those who make over 150K.

16. Dal CA Republican

Taking the above quote. As the white man he would have sealed his nomination by mid March.

17. LT

In the words of Ronald Reagan, there she goes again !!

I suppose she would vote for Pastor Hagee instead ?

18. Irrelevant

She is IRRELEVANT in modern politics. Her vote for McCain will not make a difference to ANYONE.

May 19, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  19. Catrina R., San Ramon CA.

Calling someone "sweetie" is not sexist. I lived in the south for 7 years- it's common.

May 19, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  20. Steve

Ferraro is a racist buffoon. We don't want the racist buffoon vote.

May 19, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  21. Barry

Who really cares who Ferraro is voting for. Most people under
    45 don't know who she is.
    Talk about an ex politician still trying to grab headlines!

May 19, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  22. Rick in Florida

GO TAKE YOUR MEDS !!!!!!!!!!! WHO CARES WHAT YOU DO ????

May 19, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  23. truthurts

What if Obama picks the lady from Kansas as his VP?
    What will Ferraro or other feminist have to say then?

May 19, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  24. Terry in New York

Come on now people, I'm not even sure who this fossil is but either way you have to remember she's older than most grandmothers so she's obviuosly sufferring from dimentia.

May 19, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  25. xcskiwi

I laugh at how hypocritical HRC's backers are. "If not Hillary...I will support McCain." How stupid and irresponsible. That claim makes no sense and it makes everything that Hillary stands for irrelevant. And if that is really how you vote then fine, vote McCain...Obama doesn't need your vote and so doesn't the democratic party!

May 19, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |