May 19th, 2008

Ferraro suggests she may not vote for Obama

Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.
Ferraro is a supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign.

(CNN) - Geraldine Ferraro, the outspoken former Democratic vice presidential candidate and a supporter of Hillary Clinton's White House bid, told the New York Times she may not vote for Barack Obama should he be the party's nominee.

Ferraro, a former member of Clinton's finance committee who resigned that post earlier this year after making comments many viewed as racially offensive, also said she thinks the Illinois senator has been "terribly sexist" over the course of the presidential campaign.

The comments appear to underscore the potential difficulty Obama may have courting some women voters in the fall - many of whom have said they feel a solidarity with the New York senator over the barriers Clinton faces in her bid to become the first female president.

Ferraro has not shied away from discussing the impact of race and gender throughout the Democratic presidential campaign. In March, the former congresswoman told a California newspaper the chief reason Obama's candidacy was successful was because he was black.

"If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position," she told The Daily Breeze. "And if he was a woman, he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept."

Ferraro also said Clinton had been the victim of a "sexist media."

Obama later called those comments "ridiculous," and Clinton said she disagreed with them.

Ferraro maintained her comments were not racist, but ultimately resigned from the Clinton campaign after they caused an uproar.

"The Obama campaign is attacking me to hurt you. I won't let that happen," she wrote in her resignation letter to Clinton, adding, "I am who I am and I will continue to speak up."

soundoff (1,092 Responses)
  1. sbr

goos for her he won't get my vote either. without clinton supporters he can't win. I think Hillary should run as an independent, lets see how
    many votes obama gets then.

2. Angie, Louisiana

Wow, there are so many weak minded people in this world. You won't vote for Obama, if Hillary is not the candidate. How stupid is that. You talk about experience, well the only experience Bush has was bankrupting companies.

All you that won't vote for Obama, have no right to complain about anything. You seem to have so much hatred in your hearts that I feel sorry for you. Must be a miserable life to live.

I am an Obama supporter and will vote for Clinton if she becomes the nominee. Simply because I have a mind of my own. Even though, I hate the way she has ran her campaign. She has divided this country even more than Bush now. But, together the Democratic Party can unite Americans again.

3. Peter

Get a Job!

4. Ryan

Give one example, just one, of how Obama has been sexist.

5. nonny

somebody stop her she is out again to show her disgraceful self

6. John, from UK

@ Obama_--Never

You are nothing but a delusional person.

Your posting just shows you are nothing BUT a delusional Republican disgusing as a Democrat.

7. smokesignals

She's been drinking the same Kool-Aid that Hillary has.

What a disappointment.

This white, female, 50-something, feminist, activist, small business owner will be voting for the Democratic platform and hopefully, that includes Obama!

8. Jayjay

Good for you, Geraldine! I'm another Democrat who won't vote for Obama, the hot air Chicago politician. Too many unanswered questions, no substance, and that's final!

9. Jerry, Fresno, CA

Mrs. Ferraro doesn't get it.

If Senator Obama were a white man, he would be where he is.

It's his message and good will that resonate with people.

I suggest that Mrs. Ferraro is out of touch.

10. Raff

Who cares if she doesn't vote? go on vote Mc Cain, the warmongering veteran who will carry on Bush's policy which has been the worst failure in the history of the USA.
    its kind of logical, many women voted for Clinton just because they wanna see a woman at the white house, but they are basically average white trash, so if they can't elect a woman they'll vote Mc Cain !

11. JACKFROST

ALL YOU WOMEN OUT THERE THAT WANT TO VOTE FOR MCCAIN OR ABSTAIN:

ALL YOU ARE ACHIEVING IS PROVING THAT:

1. YOU BELONG BEHIND A STOVE
    2. YOUR ONLY JOB IS TO PUMP OUT KIDS
    3. RAISE KIDS
    4. TAKE CARE OF YOUR HUSBAND
    5. DO LAUNDRY
    6. CLEAN HOUSE
    7. VOTE

NO...SCRATCH #7 BECAUSE YOU CANT DO THAT CORRECTLY.

STICK TO 1 THROUGH 6

WOMEN ...KNOW YOUR PLACE !!!

12. Mark

Yes the whole campaign has been sexist. How dare the Democratic party set up "nomination rules" and actually follow them. If Hillary Clinton were a man she would get the nomination based on getting the fewest number of delegates as a reward for running a highly disorganized campaign.

I agree with Ferraro's belief that Obama has gotten favorable treatment because he is black. That's exactly how we got President Jessie Jackson in 88 and President Sharpton in 2004.

The whole thing is just so unfair. Vote McCain/Spite 08.

13. Judi in minnesota

I never thought I'd say this, but I am glad Walter Mondale lost the election. It would have been a tragedy if this woman had ever been Vice President.

14. Concerned American

What a DUMB BROAD and I'm a white woman!

15. Jen, NY

For those women who will vote for McCain just because they don't want to vote for Obama, you'll be in for a rude awakening. Just wait for McCain to appoint ultra conservative judges and reverse Roe vs. Wade and take away abortion rights from countless women, then you'll regret being spiteful.

16. Christina

Ferraro is absolutely right – CALL ME WHAT YOU WANT!!! If you do, you're no better than me!

Ferraro echoes what so many of us feel – we will not vote for Obama!!!

17. Helena

What a bitter & pathetic woman.

18. Marion

Senator Obama will never, never, get my vote. I will not vote for a candidate with such a lack of character and that includes honesty as Senator Obama. He has not told the truth about his father, his grandmother, his schooling, his first jobs, his supporters, and his contributions. He was introduced into politics by the terrorist Bill Ayers and had the criminal Tony Rezko as his chief fundraiser and fixer for years.
    Even if Senator Obama wins, he is a loser and so is America.
    Very sad indeed.

19. Chris

Can someone muzzle her?

May 19, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  20. Canadaman

All Hillary supporters should keep their votes. Who needs their votes anyway?? Some North American women have this "my-way-or-no-way" attitude. Pathetic. Vote for McCain because you can't have your way, bullsh**.

May 19, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  21. Darth Vadik, CA

Hey, lets be honest, just once in your life be honest with yourself, not me, yourself, you won't vote for Obama because he is a blackie, and God forbid we have a blackie in the White House.

Be honest with yourself, not me, I really dont care or matter, but at least be honest with yourself.

May 19, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  22. dumbgirls

who needs women in politics – one thing: there's a reason for why clinton had to be a good WIFE first – she's running on her strong man's success and contacts, NO WOMAN COULD EVER MAKE IT TO SUCH AN IMPORTANT POSIITON WITHOUT A STRONG MAN.

YOU WOMEN SHOUDL BE GRATEFUL< NOT SPITEFUL.

May 19, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  23. JJM

I fear for our country. I really do. People using bowling scores to determine who is worthy to be president. People using gender as the determining factor. People using race as the determining factor. Whatever happened with looking at the issues. Wow I feel sorry for our country. People need to stop being so selfish and putting their own needs and wants over what is best for the country. Don't think that's what's happening? Then why do so many people seem so eager to save 60 for some gas tax holiday that will cost the government millions of dollars that are used to fund programs, such as maintaining the roads people drive on.

May 19, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  24. R.I.F.

Remember, this lady is a contributer for FOX NEWS. Read some of her transcripts when she 's been on their shows in the past. She is almost as worse as full-time employees at Fox. It doesn't surprise me that she made this comment. If Obama's so sexist hen why did he get the backing of NARAL? Talk about sour grapes.

May 19, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  25. Kathy from Wyoming

wow – I am a white woman, 55 years old, not college educated, make 53,000/year, live in a rural area.......

and I support Obama. He is honorable and honest – admits he is not perfect (which says quite a bit about him as a person) and he has been able to reach across America. He has my vote.

I have a small flag on the back dash of my car with my Obama 08 sticker. I am proud to be an American, proud of what Obama is doing and support him 100%.

May 19, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |